Sign in to follow this  
HeroesandvillainsOS

Is it just me or are the new sounds too quiet?

At least the ambient sounds. It is very quiet.

I only had a chance to mess around in Takistan but at first I thought there was no ambient sounds at all.

Explosions and gunshots are remarkable. Loud and punchy. But the ambient map sounds at least on Takistan seem almost gone. Is it just me?

At least the ambient sounds. It is very quiet.

I only had a chance to mess around in Takistan but at first I thought there was no ambient sounds at all.

Explosions and gunshots are remarkable. Loud and punchy. But the ambient map sounds at least on Takistan seem almost gone. Is it just me?

Might just be you...

Yes, and it is an engine related thing as well I believe.

I actually had to modify a few of my sound modded addons to increase the volume for the firing sounds because they were way too quiet even though pre-update they were fine.

Footfalls also sound less loud as do engine sounds right off the bat.

Modded stuff sounds could have been effected. Have you tried the same in Altis without mods?

Btw I increased my game volume tthat was below 50% to the 100% so there should be a big difference in general volume.

I think it's rather the guns being too loud, which forces me to turn down the volume to a point where footsteps and ambient sounds are unrealistically quiet.

do you realy think that a weapon makes this sound.the power of sound at a distance of 10 m and 100 m are the same.for you this sound level. go study physics. still not bad for all of you to serve in the army or to go to the landfill.

Sound — a physical phenomenon that represents a distribution in the form of elastic waves of mechanical vibrations in solid, liquid or gaseous medium. In the narrow sense, sound mean these fluctuations, considered in connection with how they are perceived by the senses of animals and humans.

Like any wave, sound is characterized by amplitude and range of frequencies.

The oscillation velocity is measured in m/s. In regard to the real energy of the oscillating system are characterized by the energy change due to partial costs of the work against friction forces and radiation into the surrounding space.the room sound different from the sound in open space.I was under the impression that you are anything but  improving game. what the employer pays I don't know. 3 patch in a row you are doing the sound and each time doing worse than the previous. but physics is not busy.

about the AI is a separate issue. How is it so that the bot sitting under a lamp in the light, sees everyone who is in the dark? I'm shocked OO.... bots you that from the T-1000000? The hybrid Terminator Superman Batman and God knows who? you write in the description what game you play as "blue" become endowed with super powers. all the weapons the "red" characteristics in total worse weapons blue. one zafir is worth by weight, almost SMG and killing power just above the MK-18.SUPER ))))... not talking about that at katiba you cannot put the bipod. although it has a bar, Picatinny.

And about your stupid "stamina" I do not say anything. you have the weight of all the gear, then why the weapon does not fall back to earth under its own weight?

I wanted to write a separate post about your physics, but I'll write here.
And so, future.
You think weapons are not evolving and improving? Then why aren't we still use muskets then? Modern weapons is enhanced by many technical innovations (the mechanics of the whole mechanism, compensatory, rear sight, etc.). As a consequence this leads to easier retention of the weapon at a sighting. That is why even modern rifles there is such a lifting up of the trunk. The main thing that you forgot what game you made this game about the military, soldiers, army (underline). Do you think that a trained soldier does not know how to hold the weapon so that it stays on the shot line?

I am sure that no one in the army many of you didn't serve and real weapons in the hands not holding.
Yes, I'm Russian and served in my beloved Marine Corps.
got sick of trying to get shit for my money....

I don't know if anyone is talking about weapon sounds at a distance in this discussion Absolut13.

I've had a decent amount of experience with various types of firearms at various distances in various settings.

I can tell you 100% that some of my personal and meticulously tweaked sound addons had changed post-update to the point where the volume of the sound from guns was quite anemic from the first person perspective, I really don't have any complaints about sounds at a distance, it seems okay for me. That being said, footfalls and vehicle noises I do take issue with at a distance because I know what I'm capable of hearing at various distances from both people walking or vehicles driving and there's most certainly a discrepancy.

That really is nothing in the long term however as people can customize things to their liking and knowing our community, they most certainly will.

Not sure, I mean with my experience--even when testing the new Dfyre Eden, I've not had any issues with sound volume at all. I am sporting a rather old Fatality card from Creative and currently using a Sennheiser headset. Windows 10 volume is maxed, but my volume on my headset is as low as it can be, and my in-game ArmA volume is around 50%. Even with that, I find myself wanting to lower the in-game volume a little more. I guess it varies from person to person, or setup to setup? 

I personally haven't thought of the new sounds as Quiet whatsoever. In fact, I think the sound level is perfect. If the sound is too quiet, I recommend doing the following:

Turning up your speaker volume.

• Like 1

I personally haven't thought of the new sounds as Quiet whatsoever. In fact, I think the sound level is perfect. If the sound is too quiet, I recommend doing the following:

Turning up your speaker volume.

Wow, nobody ever thought to do that huh?

Ever considered the person was using headphones and they had all volume settings both OS and application - maxed?

Wow, nobody ever thought to do that huh?

Ever considered the person was using headphones and they had all volume settings both OS and application - maxed?

I'm just kidding, mate...

I find the sounds to be working really well, did you adjust the different sound options ?

I've been playing a lot of KOTH this week-end and the new sounds are excellent (imho).

Yeah guys, just to update, I did have to adjust the sound volume and things seem much better.

I had it at 56 (I use headphones) before the release but do find 100 to be about equal to that now.

I still stand by my point that they should be louder though. I shouldn't have to increase my sound volume 44 clicks just to match pre-1.56 levels. That also means I have nowhere to go should I need it louder too.

• Like 1

Unless you've just some basic USB headset you might want to add an amp if you already don't have one.

Modern things are usually very loud and Arma 3 seemed to have joined against the loudness war. Now you've more room o tweak in the quiet end so 5% volume isn't already very loud and you can have communication apps like TeamSpeak in reasonable non clipping level.

Tell me I am dreaming or not: did our blessed developers mess with Lynx sound or not? Because to me it sounded differently and I am not sure if it is because how long ago I used this gun (months) or was it updated in Eden patch?

Unless you've just some basic USB headset you might want to add an amp if you already don't have one.

Modern things are usually very loud and Arma 3 seemed to have joined against the loudness war. Now you've more room o tweak in the quiet end so 5% volume isn't already very loud and you can have communication apps like TeamSpeak in reasonable non clipping level.

Why would somebody buy a friggin' amp for their headphones when this is obviously an engine-related thing?

Prior to the update everything was working fine, and it can be corrected by adjusting the db levels in the config files for each associated sound, I had to do it with my own weapon sounds mod.

It seems like a rather expensive solution for something that was previously a complete non-issue.

• Like 1

Why would somebody buy a friggin' amp for their headphones when this is obviously an engine-related thing?

Prior to the update everything was working fine, and it can be corrected by adjusting the db levels in the config files for each associated sound, I had to do it with my own weapon sounds mod.

It seems like a rather expensive solution for something that was previously a complete non-issue.

So is your issue now that the game or gun shots volume are too quiet or just that further away gun shots are too quiet, so they attenuate too fast?

About your weapon sound mod. Are your weapons now louder than the vanilla weapons? Or you just needed to adjust them to get in the same level with vanilla stuff?

Usually everyone that has headphones has external/internal amp/dac (audio "card"). At least my motherboard couldn't amp up my headphones even close what I needed.

I don't have this issue. Although I have an average headset which produces relatively low volume sounds. If I am not talking with my team I tend to use my better 5.1 speakers because when I do that all in-game sounds volume is always perfect.

If I get shot at from about 50 - 60m all I hear is a sound like a twig or branch snapping. A subtle "clack" that is all - just as it was before the eden update . If they are shooting from further away (200-300m) you can definitely hear a difference and also easier detect the direction where fire is coming from.

It took a while to get used to them, but after playing for a while and cranking the volume up, I really prefer the new sounds.

For me it is the ambient sounds, they are super quiet now. I always run everything in arma at maximum volume and use the volume on my headset to adjust accordingly.

Since the update the ambient sounds are very dull.

Also if I ALT+Tab out of the game all ambient sounds including rain will stop for about 20 minutes or longer.

So is your issue now that the game or gun shots volume are too quiet or just that further away gun shots are too quiet, so they attenuate too fast?

About your weapon sound mod. Are your weapons now louder than the vanilla weapons? Or you just needed to adjust them to get in the same level with vanilla stuff?

Usually everyone that has headphones has external/internal amp/dac (audio "card"). At least my motherboard couldn't amp up my headphones even close what I needed.

No, my issue is a combination of ambient sounds being considerably more quiet, along with footfalls, as well as for some inexplicable reason sound FX volume for the gun firing sounds for some specific sound mods I had made, and only those in particular.

Prior to the update the sounds I had implemented were at a good volume, inexplicably, and I do attribute this to changes in how the engine itself operates - the sounds ended up being inexplicably quieter post update. No changes on my behalf, as I mentioned earlier.

I actually had to dig into the config file and start fiddling around and figuring out why that happened to be the case. The only explanation I can come up with is that there was a change in how the engine handles volume for certain sounds.

I have no idea whether it is fast attenuation or not, they simply started and ended too quietly, to the point where it was almost like parts of the frequency that would normally heard from the sound were being chopped off as well, which was super bizarre, because when I composite sounds I make sure that I get all the really satisfying aspects including the high pitched crack as well as the lower frequency fullness that accompanies especially heavier caliber rounds when they go off. Some of my sounds were extremely anemic and missing a lot of dimension that was remedied by having to screw around with the DB levels as mentioned.

I think it is an engine thing, as I'm extremely particular about how sounds work in my game to the point where if something bothers me, I will dig through whatever I have to in order to change it, kind of an OCD-thing for me.