AzZaMaTr0n

New EDEN update makes font look disgusting...

So the new EDEN update was released and I was happy. After launching Arma, I had realised that the font had changed. I liked it at first but It looks disgusting when it says the ammo and gun name. The Main Menu font is nice but everything else is just horrible. Is there a way to revert font without falling back on version 1.54?

Post your opinions and whether or not you guys want the font to be changed. :D

• Like 3

Interesting first post.

I have to say that I like it.

They have improved it a lot, when they first released in the dev branch it was quite "crowded" and almost unreadable. But the final result is cool.

But every man to his taste... Tho I have to say that I'm quite puzzled that a font can "disgust" someone. 

• Like 4

Unfortunately I have to agreewith demoshup. The new fonts had me move from a very small interface to a small interface - which is way to big for my taste. But with the new fonts it wasn't possible any other way, since the thickness of the new font makes it unreadable - every letter slides into the next and reading the font is very tiring on the eye.

I'm ok with most of the changes, but the new fonts are hideous at best.

• Like 4

I agree partially with demoshup. This goes in the same category with the Fatigue->Stamina "change it right or let it be"  Though it's bit better now than in the dev ranch couple weeks ago. Still the old one was much better.

• Like 2

not a big fan of the font changes myself. at 2560x1440 I'm finding it more difficult to read in some places... compared to the old one.

• Like 1

A step back, text is aliased now.

could you be more specific (you mean in-game gpu-AA/post-FX AA is applied over text ?)

screenshots ? details about video settings / resolution / aspect etc

Hi dwarden,

I changed nothing since yesterday so I thought its ok to report it in the shortest possible way :D

-1920x1200 monitor

-1920x1200 ingame resolution

-19:10 aspect ratio

-100% sampling rate

-8x aa ingame

-cmaa ingame

-font size: small

amd latest driver, all default, win 10-64bit.

So the new EDEN update was released and I was happy. After launching Arma, I had realised that the font had changed. I liked it at first but It looks disgusting when it says the ammo and gun name. The Main Menu font is nice but everything else is just horrible. Is there a way to revert font without falling back on version 1.54? ...

This. The difference between fonts is quite jarring, and the excuse that the old font made the distinguishing of certain characters difficult seems out of wack. An option to revert would be very welcome.

• Like 1

I think the problem with the new font is that it's too cramped together. It's like the letters have been mashed together. Also I don't like the way it looks when it's bold. But other than that, it's not too bad.

• Like 1

What a bunch of whining maggots we are......."i don't like the new forum, I want the old one back"......"I don't like the new 3D editor, I want the old one back"......."I hate the new font, i want the old one back"......

Give it a little time Folks, you'll soon get used to it.

For what it's worth......I really like the new font. 

• Like 13

Give it a little time Folks, you'll soon get used to it.

A font is either good or it's not. You can't get used to a font.
  • Like 1

I like the new font. It's more readable and the characters are spaced better.

I guess it's all a matter of preference.

A font is either good or it's not. You can't get used to a font.

Actually you can... when I first switched to RC it was very obvious. 2 weeks in I can't remember the old font...

On that note, Bis next project should be font simulator 2016... that will really give everyone some crap to bitch about.

In what is likely the most important and feature rich update we have gotten yet... the bitching is about the font...

Unreal...

• Like 3

In what is likely the most important and feature rich update we have gotten yet... the bitching is about the font...

Should tell you how much this small change actually matters.

Not really... tells me people have no sense of priorities...

Have u watched the ai drive lately... when the font is the biggest problem

We will all be doing very well...

The ai driving gives me only a headache from a mission creator's point of view. The new font does that just by reading every entry in a menu, every briefing, every addaction-text, every on-screen-hint, everything that contains text.

Maybe it doesn't bother you - but given the fact that it bothers quite some people you should maybe refrain from lecturing those people about their priorities.

Yes, there are some serious other issues with the new update (missing compass in 3D-Editor, missing ability to select drop-down.menu entries with your mouse and so on), but these mainly make it more or less functional. This problem has to get out of the way in order to restore the game's playability - again, maybe not for you, but for some.

Ok... maybe my previous post was poorly worded..

But let me ask you this... were you on RC branch or did you just get the font update today?

Would it be fair to say give it a try for bit and if it still that irritating then maybe the request be made then and maybe for an option so people could choose their preference...

I had the same concerns of removal of 2d editor but after 2 weeks... I'm having trouble finding a situation where I would prefer the old one considering map view is on there.

This problem has to get out of the way in order to restore the game's playability

To say the font affects the games playability is both ridiculous and hilarious......sometimes in life you just gotta roll with the punches.

Good luck with the feedback ticket.

• Like 3

The font of the main menu is ok for me. Only if I open a menu text is aliased. Not a big thing, thats true..

To say the font affects the games playability is both ridiculous and hilarious.....

No it's not. Inventory menus, action menus, ammo counts and various text controls, and so on.

The new font renders horribly ingame. Roboto is a beautiful font, but the game font rendering mangles it so bad. The engine is incapable of rendering the font crisply, not even the straight lines, and you end up with a letter "I" that has blurry edges.

In comparison, if you go to the Arma 3 website and read some stuff there, like the SITREPs, the font is nice and beautiful as it's supposed to be, because it's rendered by your browser, which is capable of not rendering it like a piece of shit.

As a person who's been working with UI for 6 years, I'd have no problems with changing the font, I have problems with horribly rendered text. It's not about getting used to it, it's about difficulty reading it. This is the first time in my 14 year history of playing Arma games, that the ingame text is giving me headaches.

• Like 4

As a person who's been working with UI for 6 years, I'd have no problems with changing the font, I have problems with horribly rendered text. It's not about getting used to it, it's about difficulty reading it. This is the first time in my 14 year history of playing Arma games, that the ingame text is giving me headaches.

Here is the access code for the Legacy Build.

Arma3Legacy154

again, I asked for screenshots ... bug, w/o bug, toss it on Arma 3 Feedback Tracker and post here url to the ticket

then we can deal with it (e.g. if the antialiasing is bugged and make pass over fonts while it should not)

• Like 1