Sign in to follow this  
six_ten

Update broke some stuff -- what's changed?

Been working this morning for several hours, fixing stuff, previewing in editor, repeat...  The update downloaded, I restarted, got back to fixing and previewing and now my character animations are screwed up.  What other things have changed and how do we fix them?

Follow the steps outlined in the SPOTREP:

• Consider using the Steam client option to verify the integrity of the local game cache to avoid corrupted data after downloading this update.
  • Consider defragmenting your HDD after downloading large updates.

If its still screwed its a mod conflict (and/or incompatibility with the update) as my game is fine (without having to do any of the above).

• Like 1

Thanks.  Verifying Integrity now.   Meanwhile reading the changelog at https://dev.arma3.com/post/spotrep-00052   I see   Tweaked: Implemented new walk / tactical movement animations (both hands on rifle - the legacy animations are still available via scripting)   -- I'm guessing that's the source of my characters' weird behavior...

New 3D Editor all very nice but!

Seems they are going to remove the 2D Editor soon!

Had a go with the new 3D, but its far too fiddly for me. You cant just plonk units down on a map, you have to fly around in game so to speak, to find the right spot.

Please please can we keep the 2D Editor so as to quickly set things up, & then use the 3D to fine tune objects positions.

Otherwise its going to take 3 times as long to make missions!

They seem to work together OK now, so why get rid of something we have been used to & are familiar with since OFP.?

• Like 5

2D editor is always gonna be there like an option i think that is what they said.

jgaz; press M to place units old school style

Sent from my iPhone so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

^ this.

I really don't get why people complain about Eden : if they would bother actually trying it, they might realize how easier & faster it is to use...

• Like 8

^ this.

I really don't get why people complain about Eden : if they would bother actually trying it, they might realize how easier & faster it is to use...

Because its new and unfamiliar... and easy to complain about... 

Did  you see the font thread? LOL

• Like 5

2D editor is always gonna be there like an option i think that is what they said.

They said exactly the opposite. 2D editor will be removed and you can use Eden's map as 2D environment.

• Like 1

Later the option came up to have the 2d editor remain in the game, but hidden. Similar to how the 3d editor has been years ago.

In any case, I really can't understand how people can not like the 3d editor, but whatev, I'll guess. :D

They seem to work together OK now, so why get rid of something we have been used to & are familiar with since OFP.?

You can not expect Bis to support both editor, 3d editor is a big step forward. We just need a bit of practice to get used to it.

It was a pain in the *** to place properly an object in the 2d editor, now we can easily make missions with more atmosphere and little detailed.

It was a pain in the *** to place properly an object in the 2d editor, now we can easily make missions with more atmosphere and little detailed.

True, however I have to disagree with the point you made prior to this:

You can not expect Bis to support both editor, 3d editor is a big step forward. We just need a bit of practice to get used to it.

Why not? The 2D Editor is already there, and has been since Operation Flashpoint (roughly 15 years). The "support" it requires would be negligible/non-existent going forward. Any new scripting commands added to the game in future versions would theoretically need more support for the 3D editor as some may require GUI check boxes to enable or other GUI requirements etc. Don't get me wrong, I think its great that BI are continuing to enhance the game and bring in great new additions such as the 3DEN update (not to mention the new sound-scape enhancements), but completely removing the 2D editor feels to me like losing a part of the games heritage. Maybe that's just me though...

Anyway, to get back on the ACTUAL topic of this thread and not whine about the 2Dvs3D editor debate, did verifying your cache work six_ten?

Why not? The 2D Editor is already there, and has been since Operation Flashpoint (roughly 15 years). The "support" it requires would be negligible/non-existent going forward. Any new scripting commands added to the game in future versions would theoretically need more support for the 3D editor as some may require GUI check boxes to enable or other GUI requirements etc. Don't get me wrong, I think its great that BI are continuing to enhance the game and bring in great new additions such as the 3DEN update (not to mention the new sound-scape enhancements), but completely removing the 2D editor feels to me like losing a part of the games heritage. Maybe that's just me though...

I agree it is like losing a familiar friend... lots of us have spent many many hours  in the old editor..

However, my understanding is that they save the mission sqm differently in the two editors, so any change in eden would have to be tested and then possibly have to be made backward compatible with the old editor so they both work in any new functionality that is introduced.

Which could eat at Dev time...

Anyway, to get back on the ACTUAL topic of this thread and not whine about the 2Dvs3D editor debate, did verifying your cache work six_ten?

No, I think the changes screwed with my character movements; I'll fix it later -- right now I'm doing a major shader overhaul on my ships (which are looking sweet) so after I get this done I'll get on that.  Besides, I want to make some new character animations so this might be a good time to look at all of it anyway.

They said exactly the opposite. 2D editor will be removed and you can use Eden's map as 2D environment.

I'm not understanding the problem.

Pressing M brings up a 2D map where you can do basically everything the same as you could in the 2D editor.

I use the 3D mode to place units (where it's astronomically easier to do then the 2D editor), then press M to lay waypoints and triggers.

• Like 2

^ this.

I did try it before commenting. Faster don't think so! may be with time, but as someone who is used to the 2D (if you go into the 2d now it says it will be removed with "APEX" so it will be going) it will take a bit of getting used to.

Best comment for me, one above "Pressing M brings up a 2D map where you can do basically everything the same as you could in the 2D editor." by Bonchie looks like the answer, if that works like the old 2D we know & love :wub:  Time will tell...

It took me a few to figure out sync and rotation and where the default markers are now.

But map view is basically the 2d editor view and it is obviously better for initially placing way points and synching things.

Being able to switch back and forth is great.

I spend most of my arma time in the editor... and I went back to 2d editor once since i switched to the RC branch because the mission wouldn't convert.

Once you get past feeling like a bit of a noob again because a few things are placed differently... it really is like going from the minors to the majors...

One small thing that made my day... the center of markers has an icon!!!!

Used to drive me nuts looking for the center in a busy map so I could move it...

• Like 1

how do you disable/ close error messeges i currently cant play because a black bar with writing covers my whole screen when i try and run any mission in the editor even a mission with just a single civilian placed down any nothing else 

New 3D Editor all very nice but!

Seems they are going to remove the 2D Editor soon!

Had a go with the new 3D, but its far too fiddly for me. You cant just plonk units down on a map, you have to fly around in game so to speak, to find the right spot.

Please please can we keep the 2D Editor so as to quickly set things up, & then use the 3D to fine tune objects positions.

Otherwise its going to take 3 times as long to make missions!

Why are they doing this?

It is great that they're trying new things and attempting to expand game functionality, but why remove the simple and easy to use 2d editor?

It should be an option, how is this not the first conclusion the dev team is making on the issue?

A few things I've noticed seem... off I suppose.

One of them being that everything appears to be smaller, not sure why, maybe it is because I haven't messed around with arma for a while, but has the dev team messed around with the FOV by any chance?

Secondly the sound.

Things sound less-loud, specifically for pistols, I have some custom pistol sounds that I implemented that now feel like they're normalized to the point where they're not conveying the power of shooting the gun they're associated with, definitely not a fan. I'm not sure why this is considering the sounds themselves are retained, it's just that the sound itself seems as if it has been changed somehow. 

I'm playing with JSRS Dragonfyre and the ambient sonic echoes sound like they're now about the same volume which just sounds weird.

I know some people might want to save their ears, but honestly fuck that, I want drum-blowing explosions when I hear a .50AE go off, I know what they sound like when they fire, the report is concussive even when you're standing less than 10 feet away w/o hearing protection.

I'm sure there are some other issues, but those are the ones that I've noticed up until now.

I'd really like to know what is the deal with the sounds, it is quite bizarre that my own custom sound modifications are being affected in such a way.

I've noticed some sound changes since last update; the CUP & RHS primary weapons only have sound from right speaker when fired, (if there is someone firing at the same time on the left I hear that in left speaker so not stereo or speakers) 

The default & Masi weapons sound normal from both speakers, as do all pistols???

There was a NVIDA driver update at the same time, so could be that? Anyone else noticed the same thing?

how do you disable/ close error messeges i currently cant play because a black bar with writing covers my whole screen when i try and run any mission in the editor even a mission with just a single civilian placed down any nothing else 

Sounds like you're launching Arma with -showscripterrors (as everybody should IMHO) and you're running one or more mods that are broken (as a result of the new update if you didn't get this before).

I've noticed some sound changes since last update; the CUP & RHS primary weapons only have sound from right speaker when fired, (if there is someone firing at the same time on the left I hear that in left speaker so not stereo or speakers) 

The default & Masi weapons sound normal from both speakers, as do all pistols???

There was a NVIDA driver update at the same time, so could be that? Anyone else noticed the same thing?

Havn't noticed the sound issue with massi's weapons,but I am running JSRS-I think it may overwrite massi's sounds.

my seaplane scripts throw errors since update. They still work tho, not sure what this is about.