Sign in to follow this  
advocatexxx

Modeling

I recently decided to perhaps buy a nice scale model of a tank or some other military vehicle, but found out that high-quality diecast models, nicely painted usually sell for over $199 USD up to as much as a grand. You can however buy a $30 plastic model from scale model manufacturers like Tamiya http://www.tamiyausa.com, glue it together yourself out of about 150 pieces and paint it whatever way you like.

Having never done this myself I was wondering if anyone here perhaps has any experience with things like these. Is it hard to glue the parts together ? Is it hard to paint it ? Speaking of painting how exactly do you do it ? I know airbrushes are pretty expensive, so I wouldn't go as far so to buy those, but can it be done with a paintbrush ?

Thanks.

BTW, here are some nice photos of a British Challenger one guy modeled. It is a 1/34 scale which makes it about 23 cm (9 in) long. Look at the detail though.

chellenger_1.jpg

chellenger_2.jpg

chellenger_3.jpg

I've done a few tank models in my time, and they are challenging, but very fun. For me, the assembly isn't so hard as the painting, although putting the tracks on can be a son of a bitch. But for painting, all you need to do is take your time and find a site that gives tips on how to. It's a fairly large time investment though, especially if you find yourself getting hooked.

I used to model and got uber-pissed off when ever my model didn't turn out the way it did on the box.

You really need an airbrush to accomplish many of the "weathering" effects you see on there. It's just not possible for a paintbrush to duplicate the "spray". You can try some other techniques though and experiment. For example I found that if you burned the plastic tree that holds all the pieces and delicately send the smoke over say engine exhaust ports or a jet engine, it really does a good job of making the model look more real. Just don't breath in the smoke. I was sneezing black soot for a month.

Probably would do good to get some professional paints as well and not the paints you see at toy stores or even some hobby stores.

Its the most frustrating, rewarding, fun hobby I ever had (short of building a computer).

oh yeah...just wanted to add that a lot of professional modelers don't always use the pieces that come with the models. Sometimes they fashion their own...ie I would guess that there are areas on that tank that aren't strictly out of the box.

damn it....one MORE thing. Larger is easier naturally. There is nothing more tedious frustrating and nerver-racking then trying to paint all those little tiny planes that come with an aircraft carrier model. So I suggest start large.

Ive made a ton of models in my time, as i used to be really into it. However I have never achieved anything that looks truly realistic like that. The models always looked fairly good, just never excellent. I only used various paints and paintbrushes though. An air brush is a must have to make things look really professional and nice.

Assembling the larger tanks is pretty easy. And when painting, its best to give the whole model an udnercoat of white or gray, as the paint doesnt always hold onto the plastic. So once you have a coat or two applied to the tank, you can paint onto it fine without the paint running off

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ Oct. 21 2002,16:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just don't breath in the smoke. I was sneezing black soot for a month.<span id='postcolor'>

Trying to get high, huh? wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Oct. 22 2002,16:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ Oct. 21 2002,16:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just don't breath in the smoke. I was sneezing black soot for a month.<span id='postcolor'>

Trying to get high, huh? wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

When you hear the plastic tank driver say "Negative" or "Can't get there" You've been burning too much plastic biggrin.gif

Tex is right. the painting is very hard, not sure about a air brush. i used a paintbrush when i did my panther model, costed 120 dollars, 1:20 scale. it looks good to say the least, it was my first time painting, the turret dont look so good tho.

PS. i am eating with one hand and typing wit the other.

All the models I have built so far have been 1/72 or 1/38 scale airplanes. I used to use brushes to paint my models but I soon found out that it was excercise in futility. I got a Badger airbrush for Christmas a few years ago, and it's all I use. I still use small detailing brushes for the small parts though, like propellers, engines, and landing gear.

Air brushes aren't that expensive, you could get a good one for under $100 U.S. Airbrushes are generally for people who have built many models, not just one. There are alot of helpful sites on the net, so get searchin'.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For example I found that if you burned the plastic tree that holds all the pieces and delicately send the smoke over say engine exhaust ports or a jet engine<span id='postcolor'>

Really? I use the 'dry-brushing' method to add soot and carbon effects to the engine cowlings and gun ports.

So far I have built:

1/38th scale: Spitfire MkIIb, Me109G, P-47C Thunderbolt, P-51D Mustang, P-38J Lightning, and a AM2 Zero.

1/72nd scale: CF-18 Hornet, and a B-24D Liberator.

I do have some pictures, but I haven't had them developed yet.

I have been planning on some armour, but I haven't got around to it yet.

Tyler

Wow. I have not made a model for 15 years.

I sort of feel like going out and getting a box. There sort of expensive nowadays though.

Airbrushing requires skill. I never got good at it. I would by a bunch of cheap models first (assembly for cheaper models can be done in 15 minutes) and just go crazzy.

I think some cheaper airbrushes used cans of compressed air so that you didn't have to buy a compressor. And you could buy a used set on Ebay or something.

Painting figures is even harder. Use toothpicks and small brushes for those. Many parts (like men figures) need to be painted seperate from the main assembly)

It was always my preference to pick one scale in a catagory (ships, plains, cars) and make all my models to the same scale.

I mean who hasnt done that yet? smile.gif

When I was young we students always gave that to each other as birthday presents (cheap and entertaining). Maybe you shouldnt take that too serious. Of course you can do it with paintbrush but do you realy want to go for top-notch? In every modelling shop you get little tins with "perfect" colors and with a tiny brush you can pre-paint the parts before glueing them together. I assure you it realy still looks great. I never did tanks but mostly planes. One thing is important though! You need a realy good knife, very fine brushes and "GOOD" glue. There are so many cheap chinese glues out that that dont work and only make the plastic melt to pie. But besides that it is fun. And dont be toooooo eager to be the best from first model onwards.

Well air brushing is absolutly mandantory, if you want a good result. I hate airbrushing, I really suck at it and any brush i've ever owned has sucked pretty bad too. My Isriali T-67 is looking ok, but I don't know how to weather a desert tank.

mandatory? hell no? Since when is Air-brushing realy affordable for hobby-modelers. Maybe since around 12-13years. But I know quite a lot of very impressive models from before that time. It is important for such things as showing mud and rust...but anything else can also be done with an ordinary brush. Well, that is my opinion.. smile.gif

I used to but it was costing too much because I only liked making modern British models and this means spending over Å50 on a resin addons from companies like <a href="www.accurate-amour.com" target="_blank">Accurate Armour</a>. The challenger in the 1st post has had the armoured side skirts, rear turret bin and a few other things added which makes it a costly hobby sad.gif  

I could spend less on drink and girls though wink.gif

Nah biggrin.gif

Dont use gloss paints.Use flat paints.Gloss paints make your model look shinny, or like a sports car.Flat will make your model look more military like.I make models, for fun.And my dad said models use to cost $5, so my dad use to make hundreds of models.

But now there about $20-$200 for a model.And i only make a few.I built a F-16, F4U1A Corsair, a A10, and a B-52.I also did a model nascar for my uncle, whos a nut about nascar.

My models are all 1/48 scale, and i like to keep all my models the same scale.

I want to get a M1A1 tank model, soon.I also use both model paint brushes, and model paint, and model spray paint, and an airbrush which is powered by a can of air.(i'll get a air compressor soon).I also use masking tape, which is easy to tear, and i put it on the model, where i dont want paint to get onto.

Also, use model plastic cement, in both a tube, and a bottle with a little brush on it.The tube you can use for big parts, and the glue in the bottle with the brush, use it on small parts.

Get a good modeling knife.Start from the beginning of the instructions to. wink.gif

Paint alittle bit at a time.And dont paint to close to the model, or else you'll have paint run down and it leaves ugly marks all over.So paint it about 6 inches away .And paint it at least 2x .

I'll post more later, if i can think of anything else i forgot.

Here are some of my models:

A10_0005.jpg

A10

b52_0020.jpg

B-52

b52_0044.jpg

Same,

corsair_0043.jpg

Corsair

DSC00009.jpg

F-16

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00015.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

DSC00026.jpg

DSC00029.jpg

DSC00030.jpg

DSC00032.jpg

DSC00033.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00044.jpg

f16_0042.jpg

F-1600007.jpg

.DSC00016.jpg

modeling__0001.jpg

Heres my airbrush.

modeling_knife_0004.jpg

Modeling knifes

My buddy and I used to build models when were kids. It was an ok hobby till we came on the idea of making "Mad Max" type models. We would buy two level 3 (I think that was the one, whichever the one that is the hardest skill level and has the most parts) model kits. We would build one as a car, and the other would be parts to modify the model with. It was both challenging and we would have unique models (that we ultimately would scrap over the rights to).

What also fun was the both of us buying the same kits and assembling them seperately to see what we would come up with. I wish I still had a few, and even talking about it makes me want to go out and pick up a few models, some matte paint, and a six pack and get to modeling some armageddon smile.gif

Ummm, isnt 5 the max number of images? Anyways, those models you (Skulls Viper) made are superb! But it seems that you are a diehard fan of modelling, and many ppl arent willing to spend 100s of dollars/other currency on models. BTW, how much did that airbrush cost, and do you need special paints for it?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">do you need special paints for it? <span id='postcolor'>

No.

I use mainly 'Testors' model paint mixed with regular paint thinner.

Geesh Viper looks like you could start WWIII with models if you wanted too. wink.gif Very nice.

Anyways, the only suggestion i really have is PATIENCE. Take your time to make sure you get a good job done. Especially the painting. I remeber i put together a really easy tie fighter from star wars (one of the plastic ones where it was just poping them into place with each other) i did fine assembling it but when it came to painting it, i did one hell of a shitty job.

Hey, it's no big deal, he's probably been in the same room all his life- my old house probably still has glow in the dark stars on the ceiling. I moved out when I was about 10 though smile.gif

Yeah, I suppose. My room has no old stuff on the walls, we just painted almost all the rooms and mine has no sign of old stuff.

Only donwside is I cant be bothered to pick up all those boxers and socks lying on the floor. *realizes he never should of said that*

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ummm, isnt  5 the max number of images?<span id='postcolor'>

Oh yea i see that.So mods, should i take some pictures out, and put them in anthor post?

I also use Testers spray paint, and thinner, and the normal Testers paint.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nice glow in the dark stars  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Thats old stuff i left up years and years ago. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Damn Tex, you beat me to the stars! Looks like a little kids room, lol. No offense too!<span id='postcolor'>

Like i said, old kid stuff. wink.gif

I use to be fond of stars.

I have my whole wall full of posters, and signs thats been shot up, and junk. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Geesh Viper looks like you could start WWIII with models if you wanted too. wink.gif Very nice.

<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks Jester! smile.gif

Hey, I just noticed I have that A10 Thunderbolt model too! Mines not half as good tho, and the left engine looks screwed up, and there is some spilt glue on the top that nearly melted thru the plane. sad.gif BTW, what kind of glue do you guys use?