germanske_norge

Arma 3 flinching mechanics

For a military simulator it's pretty immersion breaking watching a unit flinch while taking 3 rounds centre mass, only to do a hollywood style ragdoll death on the 4th.

A while ago I wrote a FALL module for TPW MODS which addresses some of this: a unit not killed outright by a round will be knocked to the ground with either a falling animation or ragdoll (configurable), and will remain stunned on the ground for a short period. Similarly a weighed down unit jumping from more than a meter or so will often fall over. It's not perfect by any means but looks a hell of a lot better than the default system.

• Like 6

My recommendation for a better ragdoll effect WITHOUT the hideous flinching animation......Opticalsnare's Flying Bodiies mod.  I have been using it for months, through the Nexus and Eden updates and it still works well.

This is extremely unrealistic. I recommend watching some videos of real hand grenade explosions, which are mostly fragmentation grenades. Bodies close to it are penetrated by shrapnel and are not tossed around not even a single meter, let alone fly 20+ meters through the air. This isn't hollywood.

• Like 2

This is extremely unrealistic. I recommend watching some videos of real hand grenade explosions, which are mostly fragmentation grenades. Bodies close to it are penetrated by shrapnel and are not tossed around not even a single meter, let alone fly 20+ meters through the air. This isn't hollywood.

Your right, this isn't Hollywood, it's just a military sandbox that caters for ALL tastes.

The OP was looking for a mod that eases the flinching animation, i merely suggested a mod that I think helps with that. I also linked a post for tweaking said mod to take away the "Hollywood" aspect you dislike so much.

As far as your recommended viewing....thanks but no thanks. 

• Like 1

Hey guys,

from my own experience (job related) there are no flinchings if a body got hits by a bullet. 

Bullets have diameters from 5,56 mm till 12,7 mm (in ARMA 3). These are not boxing gloves that will hit a body that immediately reacts to the hit. These are small projectiles which just enter the body and maybe penetrates them.

A running person who got hit by a bullet will just stumple, fall down or mostly will continue to run until his vital organs collapse. Because of a shock reaction sometimes the human body might not feel any pain.

Long story short: Get rid off the flinching and please work on those way too light weighted ragdolls (>80Kg will not perform an artistic flip)

• Like 8

Everytime I see "the flitch" I can only shake my head. BIS already  did better to give a belivable depiction of hit effects on Persons in ArmA II without ragdoll.

Agreed. Remove the silly Flinching altogether. Gadzooks. :wacko:

Add several random Pain/Unconscious/Falling/Death Animations.

-winching

-staggering

-drops weapon

-stumbles

-grabs wound(s)

-sitting down

-drops to knees

-limping!

-lies down

-cradles up

-crawls slowly away

-fetal position

-turns "off"

-etc

Select one at random or select one at x% damage (or above x caliber) perhaps.

Most of the time, it might just be a slight blood spray, if any at all...

I'm surprised with a zillion animations in the game already, we don't see more of this.

• Like 5

Remember the patch for the damage and sway changes, hitbox changes, that removed flinching? It was gone for like 2 months, January 2016 and December 2015....then it suddenly came back? Why was it added back....and how has Bohemia not realized they accidentally added it back???

I first place I want to say that I am guy who do not have nothing to hide (or fear). in matters of pointing flaws.
With that said, A.I. is the best thing that this game has.
This is not Hollywood where a guy hit by a bullet flies 3 meters.
I don't know if any of you ever saw some one being put down by a bullet, but I can say that this game reflects what really happens (inside of what is possible in a video game).
In matters of "flinching" do not forget that the A.I. in this game is not following predetermined paths (like some other games), they just. adapt and adjust the gameplay according to circumstances, which are dictated by your moves.
I will say,, A.I. (bots) are just amazing in this game.
Make complaints about performance, sound or whatever, but dont you dare to complain about A.I. because as a bots they are better than average human players.

I've been watching footage of Syria and Ukraine combat for months now, I've seen dozens of people hit with rifle caliber bullets and killed instantly, they don't react at all like they do in this game. 

I hate how they jerk around when you kill them, can't they just stay still instead of jumping everywhere?

Made a tribute video to the twitch (ok maybe a cry for help)

• Like 2

wow. i think at one point you almost made one of them slap his own face hahaa.

The crazy thing is they have enough animations built in to pull it off but they just dont use them (theres a subliminal poke at smookie in case yall missed it). The flinch itself isnt bad if its used alongside a few other animations but alone its just terrible.

I really miss the Arma 2 damage model.

Getting shot actually ment something.

A single shot to the body could and would often times put you out of commission.

Arma 3 or future armas need atleast basic medical and to simulate gunshots to organs bleeding out should be a thing from a bad body shot along with the movement and vision debilities that come with that wound.

Is the stupid flinch still there? I stopped playing A3 For it, and waiting for confirmation that it is gone, to try to play again.

It was toned down a little, but now the whole thing is kind of reversed. Instead of the weapon flying out of the unit's hands and clipping through his head while he lurches backward, it hovers in the air, motionless, while he hunches forward.

Well my concern wasnt the animation itself, but the thing that AI didnt react to being shot (except that stupid animation obviously).

So i rephrase: If i shoot an AI now, will it react properly (Die, fall uconscious, Get to nearest cover and start bandaging, or at least, stop fireing for short period)? Or will it just flinch a little and keep fireing on me like nothing happend, as it used to do before i stoped plaing?

The last i played folowing thing happend that made switch back to Arma 2:

Me and my friend were playing on the smaller map (Altis, stratis, or somethingis) I had SA58 (7.62x39) my friend had AS50 (.50BMG) 

For me it took 5-8 shots to take an enemy down. I would understand if i would shoot 5.56 and it would took 2-4 rounds, but freaking 7.62 should not take more than 2.

My friend had to shoot an AI to the chest 3times with .50 to make him stop shooting. Sorry but .50 no matter where on the oponent body the shot lands, has to incapacitate instantly. any other result is bulshit, and enemy who keeps fiering after being hit twice to the chest? thats motherfu*king bulshit. 

So got this get fixed?

• Like 1

It seems a lot of people posting here are in the dark about how the bad flinching came in the game. Hopefully my explanation helps people understand better:

1. Arma 3 introduces ragdoll for the first time in the series

2. There was no flinching, no reaction whatsoever when someone gets hit but doesn't die. Which is a lot of time with the improved body armor of Arma 3

3. BIS decided based on feedback that some kind of reaction should be built in

4. BIS had no animations/internal game mechanics available to achieve this

5. As a solution, BIS made characters ragdoll a little bit when hit, this is the Flinch

Problems with a little bit of ragdoll/flinch

1. characters 'jump back' weirdly into their normal posture after flinch

2. characters can be seen letting go of their gun, but then it 'rewinds' into their hands

3. parts of the ragdolling/flinching character hit something, making the character fly into the air

Conclusion: current flinching mechanism is only a stop-gap solution for a missing game mechanic (reaction to being shot).

• Like 6

So no, this has not been fixed.

The problem is not that they do not take damage as per A2 standards, body armour is meant to help with that.

Problem is that there is no believable reaction from the AI to getting hit and no particular tactical advantage in shooting someone, since all that happens is that you reveal where you are.

So i rephrase: If i shoot an AI now, will it react properly (Die, fall uconscious,

No, it's still at best 'I've not noticed I've been shot because of battle-stress' reaction.. so hardly any reaction.

Or will it just flinch a little and keep fireing on me like nothing happend, as it used to do before i stoped plaing?

No as well, In the mean time BIS have introduced supressive fire, which leads to units being under fire suffering severe accuracy penalties.

My friend had to shoot an AI to the chest 3times with .50 to make him stop shooting. Sorry but .50 no matter where on the oponent body the shot lands, has to incapacitate instantly. any other result is bulshit, and enemy who keeps fiering after being hit twice to the chest? thats motherfu*king bulshit. 

This is kind of hard to believe without further info. I've never seen this in the vanilla game. .50 is instant kill on all but the largest distances in the game (>1500?)

The last i played folowing thing happend that made switch back to Arma 2:

Me and my friend were playing on the smaller map (Altis, stratis, or somethingis) I had SA58 (7.62x39) my friend had AS50 (.50BMG) 

For me it took 5-8 shots to take an enemy down. I would understand if i would shoot 5.56 and it would took 2-4 rounds, but freaking 7.62 should not take more than 2.

So got this get fixed?

Sounds like badly coded mod-work should be held accountable, at least in part...

• Like 1

anyone tried tweaking it via configs recently?

(does this old addon improve the problem at least?)