Sign in to follow this  
pd3

Variable mouse sensitivity attached to performance?

Something I haven't actually noticed much in all of my time playing Arma 3, but I'm certainly noticing it now.

And that's the fact that it appears that my mouse sensitivity seems to lessen as the performance burden increases on my system.

I'm not talking about a small margin here, what's more it seems as if trying to fix the problem results in very jerky or overly-exaggerated mouse movements.

I've never experienced this with any game before, even games where performance was not terribly great, the game itself would simply be more laggy, but the mouse sensitivity wouldn't actually decrease.

Can anyone explain why this is happening and why I only happen to be noticing it at present?

I'm also noticing that my mouse sensitivity is higher while moving as opposed to standing still, which IMO makes absolutely no sense at all.

This isn't some kind of feature is it? Please tell me that mouse sensitivity isn't attached to something inane like fatigue or something completely non-analogous to reality.

• Like 1

I'd just like to add something I think is related, which is that mouse sensitivity increases when you are close to an object, such as when you are using the corner of a wall for cover, or when you are moving through doorways. I find it annoying to say the least.

• Like 1

I'd just like to add something I think is related, which is that mouse sensitivity increases when you are close to an object, such as when you are using the corner of a wall for cover, or when you are moving through doorways. I find it annoying to say the least.

I would have to verify that but it did seem as if the majority of time times I experienced poor mouse response were closer to structures.

I don't know, I certainly hope that's not the case, I would prefer that to happen in conjunction with another keypress or something as opposed to doing so voluntarily.

i agree. I find mouse response gets very very jumpy in lags and spikes. Which in a game about aiming accuracy isnt ideal.

In settings disable acceleration and smoothing.

These 2 are nothing more than some crap invented by lag fest lovers.

And this applies to all games.

I am using a Roccat running through mouse driver (not windows driver) and I have never experienced such issues (with whatever game).

Yes, it is extremely annoying, and completely unacceptable in any game that involves shooting.

Anyone else that is bothered by this, please vote up this ticket: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=24828

Here is how to reproduce it:

Also, it is not caused by acceleration and smoothing (It's the first thing that I turn off, along with motion blur and vsync), this is a very nasty game bug.

• Like 2

Razer driver here. Remember a post about "high pole rate" causing lag.

At the time, i lowered my pole rate to 500/s.

Hope that helps.

Razer driver here. Remember a post about "high pole rate" causing lag.

At the time, i lowered my pole rate to 500/s.

Hope that helps.

Not related.

High "pole rate" provides a shorter response time (ms), means higher HZ = lower lag.

Wth that said, use the max that your mouse driver can achieve. 

(mine allow 1000 HZ) that's what I am using for all games.

I suggest remove the windows acceleration at all

http://www.esreality.com/post/1846538/markc-windows-7-mouse-acceleration-fix/

Thank you very much for this, unfortunately I -was- running a legacy build until today, when I tried arma again it was the most up to date version after implementing the changes with the acceleration fix - so I don't know what has fixed it. I can't be terribly scientific about the changes it has made in my particular situation

However I can say that my mouse movement problems are largely gone after the update and the implementation of the acceleration fix, I haven't noticed any difficulty in having to drive the mouse harder to move my perspective the same amount, so that is reassuring. The issue of being in close proximity to structures if it still exists seems less prominent to me from what testing I've done so far.

I recommend anyone else with these issues give that a try, as well as fiddling with the acceleration and smoothing options in-game. 

My system isn't super beefy but something has helped, it would be beneficial to try both avenues if you're having difficulties IMO.

All this talk about mouse drivers, windows settings and acceleration fix is irrelevant. This problem has to be in Arma 3 game engine.

Mouse sensitivity is tied to FPS. Fewer screen updates, worse accuracy. Add the stutter and ....my mouse is going to end up in someones dark spot very soon.

All this talk about mouse drivers, windows settings and acceleration fix is irrelevant. This problem has to be in Arma 3 game engine.

To an extent, yes I do believe mouse movement may well be tied to FPS, however the steps I've taken have greatly mitigated the problem and I'd have to say my computer isn't all that great compared to what you could buy over the last 2-3 years.

I have personally found that my personal issues with it went from completely unusable to manageable, I don't expect BI to fully compensate for the fact that my computer is getting old, but it is nice if they can optimize where they can, same with anything I can personally do on my end to make the experience better overall.

No matter how much tweaking you do - if the game runs at 30 or lower you will have less "mouse accuracy" then on higher fps. The updatefrequency of your screen just isn't high enough to make use of the sensitivity of your mouse. I had the exact same Problem with Planetside 2 on my old PC. I had trouble placing the crosshair on enemies and tracking them. The mouse felt slightly sluggish (despite having a gaming mouse). After upgrading CPU and GPU the issue was gone. My infantry K/D improved from 1.2 to 2.2 ... that's how much it affected me. It's a faster game so the issue is amplified compared to arma, but still...

I am sorry but.

The game engine (by default) under 60 fps it gives delay (lag) and obviously the mouse movements are also affected.

That's  why I refuse to play this game under 60 fps.

But I am not saying engine is bad, for instance UE3 under 90 fps it gives delay (lag), is just what it is.

I am sorry but.

The game engine (by default) under 60 fps it gives delay (lag) and obviously the mouse movements are also affected.

That's  why I refuse to play this game under 60 fps.

But I am not saying engine is bad, for instance UE3 under 90 fps it gives delay (lag), is just what it is.

I have noticed that in this particular game, moreso than others, mouse movement seems to be impacted by framerate, however as-mentioned, there have been a few things I've been able to do to redress the issue to the point where it is now manageable and not very noticeable in the majority of cases.

No matter how much tweaking you do - if the game runs at 30 or lower you will have less "mouse accuracy" then on higher fps. The updatefrequency of your screen just isn't high enough to make use of the sensitivity of your mouse. I had the exact same Problem with Planetside 2 on my old PC. I had trouble placing the crosshair on enemies and tracking them. The mouse felt slightly sluggish (despite having a gaming mouse). After upgrading CPU and GPU the issue was gone. My infantry K/D improved from 1.2 to 2.2 ... that's how much it affected me. It's a faster game so the issue is amplified compared to arma, but still...

Of course, I know this, this is common sense.

However as I mentioned a few times now, the mouse behavior being tied to FPS seems especially prominent in this game over others and requires extra measures to mitigate, and yes, if your performance is hurting you will never 100% mitigate the issues, there are however ways you can help it.