I am thinking about starting a western terrain such as a small Canadian/US town, maybe a small down town core.

If you have a suggestion you would like to see post bellow.

Image for reference.

(Note: I would include the farms around, this is just to give you an idea of what type of town I am talking about. Probably wouldn't be much bigger, probably the biggest I would go without cutting off parts of the town.)

GIxjVL7.jpg

• Like 1

Sounds cool.

But one question:

Will it have 4 lane highways? :P

If the town has one then yes. The one above has two lanes in each direction. 

What size are you looking at doing? I have a few ideas of areas.

I want to try to keep it under 25km2 how ever I am open to bigger. What are areas are you thinking of.

We need a proper map like this so we can do cliche US vs RU in the cliche US suburb! 

Legit though we need a good current day urban map! 

I want to try to keep it under 25km2 how ever I am open to bigger. What are areas are you thinking of.[/size]

St. Louis, Illinois missipiper river aRea. Plenty of rural/city and even some actual military areas around.

good idea but i think u will need to wait for arma 5 till a urban map of 25km² will be playable..

and u need some good modellers to get proper urban buildings.

good idea but i think u will need to wait for arma 5 till a urban map of 25km² will be playable..

Already talking with the guy that made Santa Catalina Island and Auss, who made the Australian Map.

If you know anyone for houses that would be great, Santa has commercial buildings, and Australia has some houses but not alot.

Waiouru, Manawatu, New Zealand. This is where all our army and police troops go to train after enlistment. Would make a fairly interesting map, with large paddocks and a small, quiet town.

dbbf70ad20e368623b22dcfb9a1c50a4.jpg

• Like 2

If you know anyone for houses that would be great, Santa has commercial buildings, and Australia has some houses but not alot.

that is the biggest issue in the armaverse...good! and enterable buildings are so rare because of the complexicity of the whole building modelling stuff...

so i´m sorry i don´t know any good ones except the guys u listed above with there theme based packs..

but maybe on of the guys here will be the next modelling guru..who knows...^^

that is the biggest issue in the armaverse...good! and enterable buildings are so rare because of the complexicity of the whole building modelling stuff...

so i´m sorry i don´t know any good ones except the guys u listed above with there theme based packs..

but maybe on of the guys here will be the next modelling guru..who knows...^^

Im learning to model, mabye by the time you really get going wit hthis i might be able to make a house for ya. Who knows? :P

Waiouru, Manawatu, New Zealand. This is where all our army and police troops go to train after enlistment. Would make a fairly interesting map, with large paddocks and a small, quiet town.

dbbf70ad20e368623b22dcfb9a1c50a4.jpg

Looking for something bigger then that.

Problem solved, :)

b09b4abfd0ebaed2d072b32c716c82df.jpg

I was talking about the town, I could do that, but it would probably be in sections just because of the size of it. Probably another map pack like all in arma.

• Like 1

I would choose my island based on the available buildings as making new buildings plus an island would be very hard work. 

I would choose my island based on the available buildings as making new buildings plus an island would be very hard work. 

What do you mean?

He means that you should work with a theme where there are existing assets already. For example: Making a mediterranean map is not a problem because you've got tons of assets for that sort of location in vanilla ArmA.

Now if you were to go and make a map in for example an urban american setting you'd have a harder time because there isn't many assets available for that type of setting, then you'd either have to make them on your own, or get someone else to.

he means that starting work on an island and later finding out that the assets available are from a different movie altogether will be frustrating. 

that being said, making buildings is not that hard, just a bit time consuming. i might actually get a patreon up for this very reason, if there is a need for custom island making assets (buildings, vegetation, rocks etc).

• Like 4

What do you mean?

I think he's talking about how most of the buildings in Arma 3 are of Greek-based architecture, and he's saying that if you choose a different country with a different style of architecture, it will be quite difficult to make western-styled buildings AND the map (a lot more work).

Basically you'd be doing the work of two modders. Buildings are a project and a Map is another project.

Joined just to opine here.

The best way to do this would be to make a buildings pack first. Right now, ARMA 3/ARMA 2 don't have a lot of Western styled buildings available. If one was to make a decent building pack, this could go a long way towards making Western maps.

For example, an American suburban residential building pack would be a godsend for this sort of thing. Even a generic pack filled with McMansions (two story homes that the upper middle class tends to live in), single story traditional homes, and small duplexes would suffice for now, as the "cliche" American suburb is mostly comprised of these sorts of buildings. If you want to go into more variety, small apartment buildings, trailer homes, garden sheds, and detached garages should also be included on the residential side. Commercial structures in suburbs tend to be franchised fast food chains, gas stations/car shops, banks, supermarkets, small mom n' pop shops, strip malls, small offices for professionals and of course some municipal buildings (schools, courthouse, water tower, etc).

There are also smaller assets that need to be made to avoid a feeling of sterility. Lawn ornaments and vegetation, furniture, signs as well as other props need to made or incorporated somehow, but I imagine this would be tedious, so the focus on such details shouldn't be an immediate priority.

Avalon in the Santa Catalina map sort of captures this environment very well, but is pretty sterile and has a sort of artificial appearance. But its a very good model to aim for, and should suffice for our purposes.

The prospect of a faithful ARMA 3 representation of an American suburb or small town is very, very appealing to me, and I imagine others.