duda123

Advanced Rappelling

Agreed, this looks absolutely amazing. Good job!

This is awesome. Anyway to attach to a building or bridge? This would be fantastic off of one of the bridges on Tanoa.

Thanks,

Reed

This is awesome. Anyway to attach to a building or bridge? This would be fantastic off of one of the bridges on Tanoa.

Thanks,

Reed

Yes, that could be done

• Like 1

Yes, that could be done

LOVE THIS! This gets better and better with each updated video. The last one makes me wonder if you could do a FRIES Extraction style where the guys on the ground attach themselves to a rope deployed from the helo and get extracted while dangling below the bird.

Your stuff is remarkable. Count me as a total fanboy of your work.

can you do a video of you attaching the rope to the side of a building and then rapelling down. I have been looking ward to something like this for ages :D

• Like 1

Will the AI be able to use this, or will this be a player-only feature? Not every MP match has all-player teams (and singleplayer mission designers could use it, too).

I love how it currently looks, especially with the sway and spinning.

And here's 3 rappelling at the same time:

Wow this is awesome.

Yes, that could be done

That would also be awesome.

Another Update:

• Tested this out a bit in MP with another player. It's working!
  • Added support for commanding AI in your group to rappel from a helicopter.

See this video for demos of both:

• Like 3

Gorgeous addon.

Loving the potential for rappelling which is here.

• Tested this out a bit in MP with another player. It's working!

Outstanding.

A few questions and obvious feature requests dependent on response if I may...

1. Who controls the the rope deployment?  Will it/can it be configurable?
  2. Is there a method for dropping/cutting or removing the rope after use?  If possible, can who does this be configurable?
  3. It's great to see multiple attachment points for multiple ropes in different positions.  It is literally awesome.  Clearly many air frames (both official vehicles and third party mods) have different attachment points, and some even have FRIES attachment points, usually in-front of doors.  Will it be possible to attach the ropes to these, or (considering that's a huge amount of work) add a config element where this can be customized?

For entirely selfish reasons, I'd like to be able to add this mod to all our unit's air-frames, and whilst I appreciate the variety might be a huge ball-ache to ask the author to accommodate, would be great if we're enabled to 'do it ourselves'.

For reference, at the moment our unit uses Konyo's MH-47, Sgt Fuller's USAF MH-60, and MELB's MH-6... so we're quite varied.

Outstanding.

A few questions and obvious feature requests dependent on response if I may...

1. Who controls the the rope deployment?  Will it/can it be configurable?
  2. Is there a method for dropping/cutting or removing the rope after use?  If possible, can who does this be configurable?
  3. It's great to see multiple attachment points for multiple ropes in different positions.  It is literally awesome.  Clearly many air frames (both official vehicles and third party mods) have different attachment points, and some even have FRIES attachment points, usually in-front of doors.  Will it be possible to attach the ropes to these, or (considering that's a huge amount of work) add a config element where this can be customized?

For entirely selfish reasons, I'd like to be able to add this mod to all our unit's air-frames, and whilst I appreciate the variety might be a huge ball-ache to ask the author to accommodate, would be great if we're enabled to 'do it ourselves'.

For reference, at the moment our unit uses Konyo's MH-47, Sgt Fuller's USAF MH-60, and MELB's MH-6... so we're quite varied.

1. By default all players + ai (except driver) in a heli will have an action available to rappel when it's more than 5m off the ground. Only the group leader can command their AI to rappel (#6 action menu for ai). Players must press the move backward key to move down the rope and can stop if needed. AI will auto-rappel.

2. The rope won't stick around. It's going to disappear automatically once the player/ai has reached the ground. I'm making this as simple as possible to use. All you have to do is press the rappel from heli action. Once you do that, you'll appear outside the heli hanging from the rope. Then, you press the down button until you hit the ground, and the rope will disappear.

3. I will support up to 6 attachment points for the rappel ropes (depending on heli size). By default, the attachment points are determined dynamically (I find them by doing model intersection tests in real time). This is similar to how my advanced sling loading addon works, except the ropes will be off center. I could definitely add an override which lets the user pre-define model positions for rappel attachment points.

Will you allow multiple people down the same rope?

No, I don't think that's even possible in real life. The weight from the person on the bottom would cause the top person's rappel device to block. They'd get stuck at the top until the bottom person gets off the rope.

I will provide 6 rappel points for ropes, so 6 people can go at the same time. If you have more than 6, they'll have to wait.

Question for everyone:

How long should the rappel rope be? 50m?

Question for everyone:

How long should the rappel rope be? 50m?

Ehh...

Maybe a bit closer to 20m

• Like 1

The 3" diameter FRIES comes in 50', 60', 90' and 120' lengths.  Convert to metric.

The 3" diameter FRIES comes in 50', 60', 90' and 120' lengths.  Convert to metric.

Wouldn't you use something more in line with with a rock climbing rope if you're rappelling? 3" seems too thick for rappelling.

Wouldn't you use something more in line with with a rock climbing rope if you're rappelling? 3" seems too thick for rappelling.

Thin rope gets buffeted about by the wind.  Thicker rope reduces that.  The intent is it behaves like a fireman's pole.

Thinking back over this, I don't think terminology is helping us.  Let's better define:

• Rappelling in the form of abseiling against a surface such as a building or rock face, would use rock climbing rope (your terminology).
  • Rappelling in the form of the various helicopter insertion fast-roping techniques, uses the girth of rope described above, for the reason stated.

In this instance, a successful insertion would be all about the girth.

Ok, that helps. I'll make the rappel action ask the user the length before they rappel. That way you can choose 50', 60', 90' or 120' lengths.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Like 1

Thinking back over this, I don't think terminology is helping us.  Let's better define:

• Rappelling in the form of abseiling against a surface such as a building or rock face, would use rock climbing rope (your terminology).
  • Rappelling in the form of the various helicopter insertion fast-roping techniques, uses the girth of rope described above, for the reason stated.

EDIT: original post removed, I misread your post.

Both abseil/rappel and fast rope are suited to helicopter insertion. They are similar things, but should not be confused. I suggest duda123's system support one or both, but not a mish-mash of the two.

Abseiling/Rappelling - uses rope around 10mm diameter. In climbing/caving, rope lengths up to 100+m can be used. For military use there's no reason to start from any higher than just above the tree tops. Useful when insertion time is less critical, the helicopter can't safely get within 20m of the ground (eg, over a small clearing in the jungle), or when taking heavy equipment. 

Fast-rope - uses rope around 40mm diameter. Shorter ropes are typically used because of increased risk of falling off the rope. Falls above 20m have high chance of being fatal. Useful for fastest possible insertions of lightly equipped troops, when the helicopter can get within 20m of the ground/ship/building. A person slides down a fast rope, the word "rappel" or "abseil" should not be used.

Here is another useful reference: http://www.sleuthsayers.org/2014/09/some-details-fast-rope-vs-rappel.html

Looking fantastic! Excellent work on this!

I could suggest getting in touch with Direone see if he is willing to sort you out with a unique static animation for the the troops as they rappel.

E