duda123

Advanced Rappelling

I think for alot of units that use air assault. This is one of the biggest things. I have never seen a good decent rappelling system. Where its just buggy and the rope is just a steel tube. I think Alot of units would take this if it was able to use. I am def gonna be keeping an eye on this one. 

Ooh, I like

one small gripe, I think it might look better if the player or AI simply landed on there feet and pulled out their weapon, seeing as you wouldn't land on your arse while rappeling

Ooh, I like

one small gripe, I think it might look better if the player or AI simply landed on there feet and pulled out their weapon, seeing as you wouldn't land on your arse while rappeling

Yeah, I agree.

Also, looks like there's a decent fast rope implementation in ACE3. Not sure if it's worth the time trying to create yet another version.

Also, looks like there's a decent fast rope implementation in ACE3. Not sure if it's worth the time trying to create yet another version.

I think having another server-side option available would be great for things like Invade and Annex etc., but obviously it's up to you

Here's another option:

Scrap the whole idea of sliding down the rope. Personally, I find the idea of sliding down the rope neat, but realistically, all I want to do is get to the ground. The whole sliding animation / physics is a mess anyways.

Keeping it simple, here's what I'd do:

1. Give all players in the heli the ability to deploy a fast rope. 

2. If the rope's end is on the ground (or top of building, etc) give players in the heli the ability to select a "use fast ropes" action.

3. If a player selects it, they are instantly moved to the rope's end position.... simple. No falling to your death, no glitchy animations / ropes, and you can unload a heli quickly. That's all I ever wanted out of fast roping anyways.

Ok, I found a good way to make this work. You're gonna get the sliding as well.

• Like 1

Here's another option:

Scrap the whole idea of sliding down the rope. Personally, I find the idea of sliding down the rope neat, but realistically, all I want to do is get to the ground. The whole sliding animation / physics is a mess anyways.

2. If the rope's end is on the ground (or top of building, etc) give players in the heli the ability to select a "use fast ropes" action.

3. If a player selects it, they are instantly moved to the rope's end position.... simple. No falling to your death, no glitchy animations / ropes, and you can unload a heli quickly. That's all I ever wanted out of fast roping anyways.

Why not leave this as it is on github, as a separate branch so someone else can take it on and make a dedicated client-side mod for those who want the full immersion, and then continue on to develop the simplified, foolproof system yourself?

• Like 3

Here's another option:

Sliding down the rope is the best part.

Sliding down the rope is the best part.

I think the fact the script itself works is the best part, the sliding and physics is a nice addition

Which is why I think if that's all duda wants out of it then that's the way he should go, but he's built a nice little base someone else could build a version with sliding and physics and animations if they wanted to, and if they got the blessing of duda as well 

• Like 1

Duda, you may think it looked bad with thoseanims/physics, however it's because the rope was way too long. In RL (and in game as well), fast ropping is usually conducted while hovering not higher then 10-15m above the roof/ground. It'd be fast and blind "hooray!", so I doubt that any issues would be noticed. 

I would try it without the helicopter moving, and much closer to the ground, keep it less than 20m.

ACE3 fastroping doesn't work properly on 99% of choppers, you get stuck in the ground at the end of the rope.

Figured out a way to make it look decent. Rope no longer lags behind you when you're moving. Here's are the latest videos.

AI:

Player:

• Like 7

Looks pretty good :)

One of the challenges of rappelling in free air is inability to rotate your body around at whim (as seen in the video), and if the rope has twists in it you also slowly rotate around the rope as you go down. The first person down the rope typically has the most twists.

It would be neat if you remove the ability to rotate your body while on the rope, and also add some uncontrollable rotation as the player goes down the rope.

Looks pretty good :)

One of the challenges of rappelling in free air is inability to rotate your body around at whim (as seen in the video), and if the rope has twists in it you also slowly rotate around the rope as you go down. The first person down the rope typically has the most twists.

It would be neat if you remove the ability to rotate your body while on the rope, and also add some uncontrollable rotation as the player goes down the rope.

I will lock the direction the unit is facing (random) and then add in some simulated twists.

• Like 1

Next up: applying the effects of wind (from the environment, helicopter blades and player's velocity). That should make things interesting.

• Like 2

Looking good!! Glad.you were inspired to dust this mod off and get back at her!!!

~Rob

Makes me dizzy:

Nice work! Yes the spinning can be a bit disorienting. My experience is all rock climbing. Abseiling down a vertical (or less) cliff face is really comfortable, while the overhangs are always a bit unnerving due to less control of body position.

The rate of rotation shown in your video is good for rappelling down a rope, but note the rotation speed is variable and affected by speed on the rope. If sitting still on the rope, the rotation reduces to swaying back and forth (but people really shouldn't be sitting on the rope out of a helicopter). Also if the rope has no twists in it, rotation does not always happen.

For game use, I think if you apply a random constant rotation speed per user that would be reasonable. 

Note fast roping and abseiling/rappelling are not the same:

Fast rope = short (~20m max) thick heavy rope, no descender, multiple people on a rope at once. More likely to result in uncontrolled falls.

Abseil/Rappel = longer (up to 50+m), thin rope, descender required (takes a little time to get off the rope once on the ground), one person on a rope at once.

Nice work! Yes the spinning can be a bit disorienting. My experience is all rock climbing. Abseiling down a vertical (or less) cliff face is really comfortable, while the overhangs are always a bit unnerving due to less control of body position.

The rate of rotation shown in your video is good for rappelling down a rope, but note the rotation speed is variable and affected by speed on the rope. If sitting still on the rope, the rotation reduces to swaying back and forth (but people really shouldn't be sitting on the rope out of a helicopter). Also if the rope has no twists in it, rotation does not always happen.

For game use, I think if you apply a random constant rotation speed per user that would be reasonable. 

Note fast roping and abseiling/rappelling are not the same:

Fast rope = short (~20m max) thick heavy rope, no descender, multiple people on a rope at once. More likely to result in uncontrolled falls.

Abseil/Rappel = longer (up to 50+m), thin rope, descender required (takes a little time to get off the rope once on the ground), one person on a rope at once.

Thanks for the clarification! I guess I'm building helicopter rappelling.

Here's the latest video. Added in wind forces, based on the helicopter's rotor, the speed the player is falling, and the overall wind speed. This impacts how much you sway back and forth.

I'll make the number of twists in the rope random, and cause the player to spin back and forth, slowly reducing the spinning. I can also add in some logic so that if you spin the heli, the rope will twist and you'll start spinning again.

• Like 3

And here's 3 rappelling at the same time:

• Like 6