ALiVEmod

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment 1.0 (GA)

2 hours ago, damsous said:

Its an old vanilla mission i just load and save with the new version, its possible the module need to be deleted and added fresh one ?

Yeah quite possibly! I know it sucks and we try to ensure backwards compatibility, but sometimes deleting and replacing modules is necessary. Officially we want people delete and replace for all updates, though unofficially I don’t do this and think I’ve only needed to do it once or twice the entire time I’ve used the mod.

But that means it’s worth trying. Best way is to delete. Save mission. Place modules. Save mission. This will help your mission.sqm get cleaned of all old code. 

Starting from scratch is probably the cleanest way but who’s got time for that? 🙂 Not me. But if your mission is super super super old, it may be the best way to see if it’s a backwards compatibility issue.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

Oops sorry! Forgot when we implemented the aircraft commander, for them to be profiled, you need to use the Air Commander module. My bad. Unless someone fixed this (which I doubt). For aircraft you need to use air commander.

Regarding your tanks issue I don’t know. So they get profiled but don’t show up in the virtual group list in the operations menu? Are infantry groups being added if you manually virtualize them? Are your tanks manned with a driver or whatever BI calls the lead seat?

Thanks for that info man,

ye i can confirm tanks wont work but i found the reason. So it seems that if i place down AAF kuma tanks,they get put under opcom control fine.

The issue is that if i put down say a T-100 Varsuk empty,and place AAF crew men in the tank then they get ignored.So it seems its faction specific vehicles only.I even tried making OPFOR friendly to independent,short of that i cant see any other way to make it work.

EDIT; I also gave the opcom commander control of a 2nd faction(CSAT) and still OPCOM will not pick up and use these tanks nor do they show up in groups in operations tab.

Looking for some other ways to add vehicles from CSAT to AAF faction and read this from Wiki

Create a mixed group with units from CSAT, NATO and FIA just for shits and giggles.

Using the unit editor, select the faction you wish to change, click new and select a unit type from a different faction.

Open the group editor and pick the faction and group you want to mess with.

From the list on the left, select any unit and vehicle from the list and drag them to the group box in the centre. The Side is determined by the Faction, not the Unit.

Generate the config and paste the results into description.ext

How very cosmopolitan.

Am i correct in thinking this is how i would "edit" AAF to have vehicles from CSAT? I did attempt it but was not succesful.

15 hours ago, redarmy said:

Thanks for that info man,

ye i can confirm tanks wont work but i found the reason. So it seems that if i place down AAF kuma tanks,they get put under opcom control fine.

The issue is that if i put down say a T-100 Varsuk empty,and place AAF crew men in the tank then they get ignored.So it seems its faction specific vehicles only.I even tried making OPFOR friendly to independent,short of that i cant see any other way to make it work.

EDIT; I also gave the opcom commander control of a 2nd faction(CSAT) and still OPCOM will not pick up and use these tanks nor do they show up in groups in operations tab.

This may be intended behavior but since I’m not one of the coders, I’m honestly not sure. Gonna have to wait for a dev to chime in here or someone that knows how factions configs relate to virtualizing better than me.

6 hours ago, redarmy said:

Looking for some other ways to add vehicles from CSAT to AAF faction and read this from Wiki

Am i correct in thinking this is how i would "edit" AAF to have vehicles from CSAT? I did attempt it but was not succesful.

I’m not sure on this either. Might be best to just make an new faction entirely using the ORBAT tool rather than description.ext. You’ll need to make a new faction, call it something like CSAT_AAF and use that faction in your modules.

I can’t really help you with the step by step though. Haven’t ORBAT’d myself in quite awhile and I know it’s gone through some changes since I last did it.

4 hours ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

I’m not sure on this either. Might be best to just make an new faction entirely using the ORBAT tool rather than description.ext. You’ll need to make a new faction, call it something like CSAT_AAF and use that faction in your modules.

I can’t really help you with the step by step though. Haven’t ORBAT’d myself in quite awhile and I know it’s gone through some changes since I last did it.

That actually was my first thing to try. I followed the wiki,youtube videos etc...

got into game after setting it up through the autogen,and cfg patches(converting to pbo) and my custom faction was there but i get the error about cfg patches and when i try to place down units from that faction(all vanilla stuff) no units are displaying in the world.

Thanks for help,hopefully an Alive coder as you say can chime in and help direct me to achieve the effect i want.

3 hours ago, redarmy said:

That actually was my first thing to try. I followed the wiki,youtube videos etc...

got into game after setting it up through the autogen,and cfg patches(converting to pbo) and my custom faction was there but i get the error about cfg patches and when i try to place down units from that faction(all vanilla stuff) no units are displaying in the world.

Thanks for help,hopefully an Alive coder as you say can chime in and help direct me to achieve the effect i want.

They don’t seem to hop in here too too often. Maybe post the mod data over on our Discord or our forum?

2 hours ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

They don’t seem to hop in here too too often. Maybe post the mod data over on our Discord or our forum?

Cheers man i will do that when i get home.

I have one more simple question..ORBAT instructions usually end with "click Generate Config"

I may be blind but i see no option/button that says Generate Config.Is it an option under "export" tab i assume?Which exactly?

Just wana be sure im doing it correctly

OK i figured out orbat..i made a custom new faction containing assets from opfor /blufor/independent...

Loaded editor,saw groups in the tab,placed some down,previewed..all is working fine.

But when i spawn them through alive,they are hostile to each other.Thats really odd. Theres nothing in my description.ext..this is a PBO i made following orbat tutorials.Why are they only hostile once ALIVE uses them?Kind of goes against the whole reason i spent a day learning and creating the faction lol.

3 hours ago, redarmy said:

OK i figured out orbat..i made a custom new faction containing assets from opfor /blufor/independent...

Loaded editor,saw groups in the tab,placed some down,previewed..all is working fine.

But when i spawn them through alive,they are hostile to each other.Thats really odd. Theres nothing in my description.ext..this is a PBO i made following orbat tutorials.Why are they only hostile once ALIVE uses them?Kind of goes against the whole reason i spent a day learning and creating the faction lol.

According to this page, mixing sides with ORBAT should be possible.

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Use_Cases#Create_a_mixed_group_with_units_from_CSAT.2C_NATO_and_FIA_just_for_shits_and_giggles

I’m not sure but I asked for you on our Slack. If I get a useful reply I’ll let you know.

8 hours ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

According to this page, mixing sides with ORBAT should be possible.

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Use_Cases#Create_a_mixed_group_with_units_from_CSAT.2C_NATO_and_FIA_just_for_shits_and_giggles

I’m not sure but I asked for you on our Slack. If I get a useful reply I’ll let you know.

Thanks man,i also posted there.

Iv now tried a mod which adds marids,a tigris and CSAT helo to AAF facton,and these units still wont spawn.

I used ORBAT to make a new faction which work fine except when alive virtualizes them they fight.

And iv tried even grouping CSAT vehicles to AAF vehicles which works but upon them loading they often bail out of their vehicles.

So all in all i have no current way of doing what i want after two days of exhausting options.Im ready to use vanilla AAF faction but sure,if you find out anything or i do that would be awesome.

Appreciate it man.

Here's another peek at the WIP ALiVE Ambient Civ/Atmosphere module.  Note that all you have to do is plop down the modules and hit play and it will populate towns/villages with civilians who will react dynamically both to combat and to the player based on hostility level.  This may include a small riot with the civs pelting players with rocks if the mood strikes them.

We've implemented auto-magic based on Civ. populations as well.  Using Middle Eastern or African CUP or CFP factions will automatically trigger region specific sounds while patrolling those areas.  You'll also notice appropriate sounds when gunfire erupts.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, redarmy said:

Thanks man,i also posted there.

Iv now tried a mod which adds marids,a tigris and CSAT helo to AAF facton,and these units still wont spawn.

I used ORBAT to make a new faction which work fine except when alive virtualizes them they fight.

And iv tried even grouping CSAT vehicles to AAF vehicles which works but upon them loading they often bail out of their vehicles.

So all in all i have no current way of doing what i want after two days of exhausting options.Im ready to use vanilla AAF faction but sure,if you find out anything or i do that would be awesome.

Appreciate it man.

Do they fight each other if placed without ALiVE? Just want to make sure your mission settings have IND and OPF as friendly.

1 hour ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

Do they fight each other if placed without ALiVE? Just want to make sure your mission settings have IND and OPF as friendly.

Yes just triple checked.

If placed in editor they DO NOT attack each other.(regardless of side friendliness settings)

More info:  The tanks spawn and their turrets rotate 90 degreees(odd behaviour so i noted it)

Also opening zues,the tanks(opfor and blufor who are now in my IND faction) do not get ANY group symbols(red/blue/green) 

If i use achilles mod and ADD all groups to zues,the tanks get green(IND) group signs...issuing orders to them then has me hearing NATO voices for nato tanks and CSAT voices for CSAT tanks(these tanks in IND faction as said before) and no fighting.

Once i GIVE to ALIVE via pre placing them,OR  ALIVE spawns them,they fight.

IF i have IND friendly to say EAST...Then naturally they will both pick on and fight the blufor tank...again,all these units show green through zues WITHOUT being touched by ALIVE. And theyretain their original sides when ALIVE handles them.

Oh and important: Infantry who are in my new independant faction who were BLUFOR before,DO NOT fight with other units,nor are attacked/viewed as hostile.This is strictly an issue with vehicles

8 hours ago, autigergrad said:

Here's another peek at the WIP ALiVE Ambient Civ/Atmosphere module.  Note that all you have to do is plop down the modules and hit play and it will populate towns/villages with civilians who will react dynamically both to combat and to the player based on hostility level.  This may include a small riot with the civs pelting players with rocks if the mood strikes them.

We've implemented auto-magic based on Civ. populations as well.  Using Middle Eastern or African CUP or CFP factions will automatically trigger region specific sounds while patrolling those areas.  You'll also notice appropriate sounds when gunfire erupts.  

Sounds indeed:icon_dj:!

Can't wait to try that out! 👍

4 hours ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

@redarmy the problem is only with vehicles? And just to be clear, you’re mixing BLU, IND, and OPF assets into one faction or just IND and OPF?

Thats correct. 

it is certainly an issue with vehicles. Because even after i removed ALL BLUFOR vehicles(not infantry,i use after east wind NAA faction which redress IND AAF units and their side is blufor before i ORBAT them into my new IND faction)i still get odd behaviours...such as...

i only use CSAT vehicles with IND vehicles and make EAST and GUER friendly to each other.I have created a group(Marid APC from CSAT/independant infantry group to it) to act as a mechanized group ,and when these groups spawn,alot of the time the groups are out of the vehicles(not from any damage inflicted) and they run to waypoint,crew and infantry passengers..This is all if ALIVE spawns them.

If i place them down,it seemingly ok. But even placing down the groups if BLUFOR assets were used is a no go.

I know it sounds complicated,cuz it is.Bottom line,its an issue with  vehicles/vehicle crews.

EDIT

At this stage iv given up man...i tried multple approaches and even when i get factions somewhat working(CSAT units/tanks in IND/AAF side)  There are bigger issues...those being odd behavior from said vehicles(attack orders recieved but upon arriving within spawning distance of me the player,they stop and never move even though waypoints are assigned) 

I even tried this with a mod that adds CSAT vehicles to AAF(just incase my autogen file wasnt reading incorrectly in some way) and same behaviour happens...(both groups and individual vehicles/filled with passengers and not)

when testing with pure vanilla AAF i have zero problems.So im going to just do the vanilla route.

If you do manage to find out whats up with this i still wana know cuz iv been at this two days now lol.

cheers for the help.

6 hours ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

@redarmy Wait so if you use strictly vanilla units, everything works perfectly/as designed and you have none of these issues at all?

Yes if i just put down modules,set it to AAF to spawn,do not use my ORBAT made group at all,then ALIVE seems to work.

No odd vehicle behaviour,no stopping on waypoints when they spawn due to 1500meters spawn in range etc.

My only issue was that trying to add vehicles to AAF in any capacity what so ever caused unwanted behavior.So after two days of trying i tested with just Vanilla AAF pre placed and spawned entities and no issues.

1 hour ago, redarmy said:

Yes if i just put down modules,set it to AAF to spawn,do not use my ORBAT made group at all,then ALIVE seems to work.

No odd vehicle behaviour,no stopping on waypoints when they spawn due to 1500meters spawn in range etc.

My only issue was that trying to add vehicles to AAF in any capacity what so ever caused unwanted behavior.So after two days of trying i tested with just Vanilla AAF pre placed and spawned entities and no issues.

I see. I guess I just wanted clarification on your ORBAT units though. When you’re making this faction mixing all these units from all these sides, you are using vanilla BI units, correct? You mentioned above messing around with 3rd party units (in an act of desperation which I understand), but I can’t be certain 3rd party configs won’t have issues or that they were coded to BI standards.

So with BI made vanilla units, and no additional outside mods or assets put into your ORBAT faction (aside from CBA and ALiVE, obviously) this is all still an issue with your ORBAT faction?

If so I’m sorry man, wish I could help further. Could you post your ORBAT mod file here? Not much I can do and I can’t make any promises, but I’ll ping some people on the dev side to see if they can at least open your file and see if the configs ORBAT generated look ok.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7570vm7rzlmjq3h/GermanForces.pbo?dl=0

cheers man. This is a link to my modded ORBAT faction,it only includes CSAT vehicles and AAF vehicles/units....No blufor as i just gave up on that.

I was using NATO vehicles when using BLUFOR.

If someone could look at this PBO of my faction and see if its ok that would be great.

This faction is INDEPENDENT:

The issues are as follows: Groups/vehicles from CSAT who spawn near player(i.e on the way to objecting,virtualized and then spawning) stop dead in their tracks and ignore waypoints.

OR

When they spawn,crew and passengers spawn at the vehicle,but not IN the vehicle.

Again.its all vanilla CSAT units(CSAT Pacific),and vanilla IND units.

Cheers man

EDIT : off topic a little here but i wana quote you about task system in a recent post

Bingo. That's a direction I've always wanted to see ALiVE go in, with tasking based on direct events from the battlefield, and think your idea would be incredible Tupolov, exactly how you wrote it.

I did some helo insertion tasks and the troops i inserted dissapeared(not virtualized as using intel tab they were not on the map any more)

DO any of these insertion tasks or other tasks directly help OPCOM commander directly to the overall mission? Cant find info about this.Reall looking forward to doing insert missions but hope its for a good reason

On 5/8/2019 at 2:45 AM, autigergrad said:

21 hours ago, tourist said:

Sounds indeed:icon_dj:!

Can't wait to try that out! 👍

What version of alive has this map index``??

@redarmy Hey I passed it along. Internally though I make no promises anyone has a a moment to look at the file. The ones free to code are actually quite busy with our new civ additions.

Regarding the tasking, fairly certain no they don’t impact or reflect what’s going on in the field. This is why these groups aren’t virtualizing. Some tasks I think do reflect the battle and use those units (the assault tasks maybe? Maybe a couple others?) but fairly sure most wont.

I think we have a new strategic tasking that does though. Check the C2ISTAR module. Never used it myself (last I did I never got any tasks at all).

@loopdk Our next release. This might have the index for Kujari but not positive:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=924416304

@redarmy One of our devs looked at your file and the only thing he noticed reading the configs is that all the vehicles you imported and turned to IND still have OPF as the crew:

crew = "O_T_crew_F";

No clue if this is the source of your issue or even an issue at all, but it may be worth ensuring your vehicles are all manned fully with IND units.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

@redarmy One of our devs looked at your file and the only thing he noticed reading the configs is that all the vehicles you imported and turned to IND still have OPF as the crew:

crew = "O_T_crew_F";

No clue if this is the source of your issue or even an issue at all, but it may be worth ensuring your vehicles are all manned fully with IND units.

OH maybe that was it....As viewing the units through Zeus did show the vehicles as OPFOR,but through ALIVE tablet shows IND.I thought it was normal.

I didnt see an option in orbat to change the crew. I assume its in the edit vehicle area.

Thanks man this may be causing the issue.Will test after work and see.