ALiVEmod

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment 1.0 (GA)

Hi guys, I'm having a second (or third :-)) look at Alive and I am having a breakthrough experience, it's just so much fun watching the my mission to unfold. Oh, and the joys of player logistics, that tablet, so much fun... Basically, I am playing pure SP only and what I currently doing is just coming out of the editor and doing things temporarily.

So now I am aiming for saving and more persistence. I do not 100% understand how to do it as an SP guy. What do I need to do:

- Use of "Alive Data" module?

- Disable classical saves?

- Save resulting pbo as a SP mission or will I have to place it as an MP mission and do that local MP/Lan thing?

- If I want to respawn (otherwise dead is dead or reload savegame?), I will have to use the multispawn module and touch the description.ext file? ("Note that you also need to include respawn=3 in your [description.ext] as per standard mission editing.")

I am confused a bit, because: when in ArmA things are about "mission persistence", often it is about MP, dedicated servers, databases... I am not sure if the term "mission persistence" in Alive INCLUDES single player experience as well.

Thanks guys

BTW there's some problems in logistics for me, script errors and reinforcement chopper arriving but not unloading anything, but will report later and test with narrowed down mods.

• Like 1

It's been simplified an awful lot now so you don't need a dedi server or any database setup.  Simply place the ALiVE (Data) module and set Database Source to Local.  Then turn on Persistence on any modules you want to persist - AI Commander, Virtual AI System, CQB, Player Options (be sure to select "Save to Database").

Respawn works exactly the same as any normal mission - place a respawn marker (e.g. respawn_west) and include respawn=3 in your desription.ext as you would with any mission.  BI Community wiki has a useful page that explains more.  The ALiVE Multispawn sit on top of this and just adds some more immersive ways of respawning.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@tortuosit The ALiVE community has a lot of SP’ers that use persistence, including me. Along with Friznit’s advice, I personally recommend playing in local MP because in pure SP, respawn doesn’t work.

And yes, it’s advised to not use BI’s vanilla saving system. ALiVE stores a lot of data. This is one of the reasons it has its own saving mechanic.

To save when in-game, after doing what Friznit said in the editor and your description.ext, hit esc and use the “server save and exit” option. To load, just start your mission as if you were starting it over again. To start the mission over fresh, the easiest way to do it is to change the mission PBO name.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some experiences and a question - with ArmA dev branch and player logistics module.

- It's fun.

- Transport helicopter does not climb to initially set height. Not in all circumstances. AFAICS I cave to apply the height again. Only when pilot reports about height in the bottom left notification, it will do it. Will test again, seems to be an UI thing. EDIT: OK, after confirmation it seems to react on changes in behaviour, and does not need further confirmation.

- When he's diving down from 1000m to landing, I get seasick. Feels weird to me, but maybe it's the safest way...

- Transport helicopter does still reply to a sitrep demand, even if it crashed + all passengers dead (Landing on Malden hills is dangerous)

If I get transported, can't I leave the heli by rope? It seems, it can only pick you up with a rope (which I haven't tried yet)?

Errors: Without any additional mods, I see an error message at any mission start. Always that line 1856. Basically mission starts from Eden and only has the various Alive modules.

13:19:29 Error in expression <stObjects [_pos,[_type],3]) select 0;

[_object,_cargo] call ALiVE_fnc_setObject>
13:19:29   Error position: <_object,_cargo] call ALiVE_fnc_setObject>
13:19:29   Error Undefined variable in expression: _object
13:19:29 File \x\alive\addons\sys_logistics\fnc_setObjectCargo.sqf [ALiVE_fnc_setObjectCargo], line 1856

If I see error messages in mission, it's only from logistics modules. "Threat_Level" is something I have seen e.g.

- I wish the tablet had a hotkey. I can see, it has various functionalities, which one is decided by the Alive menu, but still, I'd like if the choice of function could be done on tablet level. Using the menu is unimmersive."Talk to pilot" is definitely convenient.

@tortuosit Can you open a ticket on the ALiVE Github and provide your ALiVE CBA only mission for that error? Just curious, have you tried editing the cargo of the helicopter? Can’t say I’ve seen this error just by using Combat Support.

ALiVE doesn’t have fast roping integrated, but I use Duda’s Advanced Rappelling and it works excellent for roping out of Transport heli’s when you set a low insertion height and use the insertion option in the Combat Support menu (though beware of trees and uneven surfaces. It’s almost always safer to give the pilot a move waypoint, then to give him an insertion waypoint once you see a safe place to rope from).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

@tortuosit Can you open a ticket on the ALiVE Github and provide your ALiVE CBA only mission for that error? Just curious, have you tried editing the cargo of the helicopter? Can’t say I’ve seen this error just by using Combat Support.

Ugh, Github, OK tomorrow. I guess I need an account...

No cargo editing. My test mission which has the error is below. As I said, just Alive modules, plus some script logic modules, I love to spawn code this way. I have saved quite a few code templates in "custom compositions". I wish people could share editor compositions in an easier way... Code will not affect Alive AFAICS.

Mission straight from my user profile folder, for the editor:

http://www43.zippyshare.com/v/PzxEmySB/file.html

My first of testing https://github.com/sethduda/AdvancedRappelling/releases - the pbo version, failed. There's "Rappel self" as expected, but when I do that, I am somewhere far in the ocean and at high altitude.

I mean, it’s been a few weeks since I played a sweet ALiVE op, but last I checked Advanced Rappelling worked really well. Talk to pilot. Give him an insertion waypoint. Set the altitude to 10-20 meters or so. Wait until he gets to where the insertion waypoint is. Then rappel yourself (and your AI if you have them).

Are you saying you get teleported somewhere when using the action?

Not sure when I will get a response on the ALiVE Forums so I will also post it here:

I will make this straight to the point because this has been quite annoying to fix so I thought I would ask here for help.

I am currently making a insurgency / conflict on the map of Gunkizli with the African Militia as the insurgents, the RACS as an independent faction and the USMC. All three factions hate each other. Now to my questions.

1.) Should the insurgents have a Civ Objective that places units across the map or just in a specific area and spread from there?

2.) I noticed the RACS (Royal Army Corp of Sahrani) does not use it's helos for transport / logistics / CAS. Is there a way to make them use it more often? I already made custom groups for them too.

3.) My player logistics is greyed out. I have a military logistics synced to the AI Commander and our base is an airfield with a custom military objective with a very high priority to insure it becomes a logistics hub. I also have the player combat logistics setup as well (Not synced to anything).

4.) When I try to use tasks from the Commander Tablet, it gives me no ability to select a player and/or players to give the task to. It's all empty. What am I doing wrong? I got the C2 module setup (and have tried replacing it several times).

16 hours ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

Are you saying you get teleported somewhere when using the action?

Thanks, Heroes..Yes, it's Malden and I get teleported to 800 something map coords. How can I tell the pilot to stay on the desired altitude of 30 m?

EDIT: OK I see the option for height when using insertion.

EDIT2: Rappeling mod does not work at all, maybe due to ArmA dev branh... I asked in his thread.

18 hours ago, mannulus said:

3.) My player logistics is greyed out. I have a military logistics synced to the AI Commander and our base is an airfield with a custom military objective with a very high priority to insure it becomes a logistics hub. I also have the player combat logistics setup as well (Not synced to anything).

4.) When I try to use tasks from the Commander Tablet, it gives me no ability to select a player and/or players to give the task to. It's all empty. What am I doing wrong? I got the C2 module setup (and have tried replacing it several times).

I too am having these issues.  It started out randomly greying out the combat logistics, then progressed to always greying out to the point I don't even bother putting that module in anymore.  But now the c2 module is acting up when you go to select the players for tasks.

I assumed it was a mod conflict, I run a TON of mods, but laptop does the same thing and it's vanilla aside from alive and cba.

28 minutes ago, Lucasam said:

I too am having these issues.  It started out randomly greying out the combat logistics, then progressed to always greying out to the point I don't even bother putting that module in anymore.  But now the c2 module is acting up when you go to select the players for tasks.

I assumed it was a mod conflict, I run a TON of mods, but laptop does the same thing and it's vanilla aside from alive and cba.

If you can provide an ALiVE CBA only mission I’ll take a look. Please don’t have any other mods loaded when saving the mission.

The problem above was a mod conflict by something called ILBE. Whatever that is.

Hi i haver questions again.

1. Can i restrict C2ISTAR to fixed object? (e.g. laptop, building etc)

I know it can be restricted to inventory item, but inventory item can be carried, i dont want it to be carried, i want to force the player who wants to use C2Istar to be in specific place.

2. Can i restrict C2ISTAR or Player Combat Support by 2 or more items?   Now i have it restricted to  tf_anprc155_big_acr_a3 but could i use for example:  

tf_anprc155_big_acr_a3  &&  Item_Rangefinder

??

3. I have some enemy locations on the map with military placement (mil obj) and close quarters battle. it works great, but when i clear the location and then leave it, the next time i get there, it is occupied again is it intendet? can i turn it off if i want cleared locations to stay cleared?

@Mirek I just pinged one of the devs for you on the tablet laptop thingy. I seem to recall he had luck doing exactly what you asked but don’t quote me. I’ll let you know what I find out if he gets back to me.

Regarding #3, I had this reported to me in one of my ops and I actually tested this (cleared Cherno which even ghosting and in god mode took forever!). Left, came back, and even saved and exited and it was still clear for a decent while afterwards.

All I can say is, use logistics to call in  groups to “reinforce” the area (it’s an option in the Logistics menu if using Military Logistics in the mission), or go to the Operations menu and clear and change group waypoints, directing them to the cleared place. And keep in mind, this may be the oppossing Commander sending more groups to take this area back. If in doubt, debug virtual AI in the ALiVE menu and even show units in Admin Actions so you can really see what’s going on.

Also if this is relating to persistence/saving and loading, CQB saves enemy state in I believe 100x100 meter sectors. So make sure the place is really clear before leaving or saving and loading (check all the buildings).

If this does happen to be a bug of some sort, please submit a mission with just ALiVE and CBA, ideally on the ALiVE Github.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lucasam said:

Here is what I learned about making Logistics work:

• The AI Commander MUST have an objective (preferably mil if I remember) under his control. This can be seen by opening the Commander Tablet and going to Intel and selecting BLUFOR Commander and looking at your base. It should have several symbols saying "occupied" and the objective circles must be green / yellow.
  • The objective must also not come under attack. I set a blacklist zone around my base's TAOR just to be safe.
  • Make sure your faction is properly typed into the required fields for your modules. Sometimes copy and pasting causes a extra space.
  • If all this still does not work, do a very in depth mod isolation. Our community's modpack has a folder called "BFTMinor" that contains a lot of smaller mods. It took time but I realized TFAR ILBE Radio Packs were causing it for me (forgot to put TFAR on at one point but put BFTMinor on which caused an error regarding ILBE and it worked fine; but when I put TFAR on to fix the error, it caused my greyed logistics so I was able to find the culprit of my pain.
  • Like 1

Thanks Heroesandvillains, i have more or less what i wanted. 

I have endles supply of questions and problems. 

In ALIVE war room. How i make alive warroom accept my unit from arma 3 units webpage? I understand that creating unit at warroom does basicaly the same thing as units does, and as squad xml used to do, and i do not want the resulting conflict, and i do not want use different thing when all my clan members are used to use the bis oficial units thing

Also how do i connect my server to the warroom?

Tried. cant find out how to register server without creating unit.

Anyone having experience with jets for CAS runs? I have placed the module on Altis central airport runway 04R. Now what it does after the support call is driving in snail speed over to 04L, then go back to 04R. Took like 3 minutes until start. Is module rotation a factor here? EDIT: ArmA Editor forgets about rotation and placement radius when it comes to modules, which I reported once... but bug still there.

After RTB it stops at 02L. From there on next job, it seems to drive to the other end of the runway. Through the green line with pedestrian speed.

RFX0nkZ.jpg

ALiVEmod.com

The next generation dynamic persistent mission addon for ArmA3

Release 1.5.1

Hackathon 2017
Last month the dev team got together for our annual 24 hour hackathon where we focus our efforts to smash some knotty bugs and finish off as many WIP features as we can.  We also eat a lot of pizza and play test ALiVE to death (usually ours).  We have added a simple respawn for destroyed MACC aircraft although they will not yet retain custom pylon loadouts for manually placed aircraft.  That will come when we add full integration with the Military Logistics framework.  However, we have added this feature to Player Combat Support aircraft.

C2ISTAR tasks have had an overhaul and should now be more robust.  Tasks are a popular feature of ALiVE but the existing randomly generated tactical tasks are only a placeholder.  Our vision is to have autogenerated missions fully integrated with the AI Ground, Air and Logistics Command so that players are directed to support the AI Commander's current objectives.  We have built the framework for the Strategic Tasks system and integrated some Air Tasking Orders, which will be assigned to players and AI flying combat aircraft.  We've added some initial and very basic Strategic Ground tasks and will expand on these in due course.  Select "Strategic" in the tasks module if you want to try out this new system.

The ALiVE Quickstart mission has been updated so should work properly now.  We've also added a simple multiplayer scenario on Malden, mostly aimed at demonstrating how to set up a basic ALiVE mission in Eden - feel free to pull it apart and have a look.

ALiVE War Room Closure Notice
ALiVE War Room has always been free at the point of use and has relied on the generosity of the community to cover server costs.  Unfortunately after 5 years of continuous service there are no longer sufficient funds to support maintenance costs.  We are exploring alternative funding options but in the event that we have to close down the War Room, you will obviously lose access to the ALiVE cloud services.  You can still use the local persistence option in the ALiVE Data module for mission and player persistence (this is the preferred approach anyway).  For clarity, the following cloud services are provided by ALiVE War Room and will no longer be available when the server is shut down:

• Remote storage of persistent mission states
  • Operations, player and clan statistics
  • Mission recording and After Action Review
  • Server performance monitoring
  • Clan management tools
  • ALiVE forum signature blocks

We urge all Groups and Clans who use the ALiVE War Room to donate to keep it going. The current planned shutdown date is January 10th 2018. Please go here to contribute: ALiVE Donations

Download

Grab the latest version from ALiVEmod.com
Also available from PlayWithSix, ArmAholic and Steam (Usually within 24 hours of this post)

Please note that as with all updates, if you have an issue loading a mission made with a previous version of ALiVE, delete and replace the modules in that mission.

Release Highlights

• Military AI Commander - added VBIEDs to Asymmetric mode.  Adjust threat settings in synced Military IED module.
  • Military Air Component Commander - Added simple respawn for destroyed aircraft
  • Military CQB - Added option to blacklist units from CQB spawns
  • Military Combat Support - added support for custom pylon settings
  • Military Logistics - Added smoke/strobe to aid locating supply drops
  • Military IED - Several fixes to IED/VBIED location detection
  • C2ISTAR - Added Strategic and Tactical autotasking; overhauled existing tasks.
  • ALiVE Data - Added option to thave player kills reported to chat
  • HC Distributor - added option to exclude virtual AI profiles from headless client distributor by setting ignore_HC variable
  • ACE Compatability - Detect and deconflict ACEX Headless Client distributor; Added integration with ACE Interaction menus.
  • Orbat Creator -  added ability to import ORBAT factions, write to file, orbat units now compatible with editor loadouts
  • Map Indexes - Added: Tilos; Leskovets; X-Cam Prototype; Khe Sanh; Kastellorizo. Updated: Malden; Namalsk; Da Krong
  • Missions - New ALiVE Quickstart by HeroesandvillainsOS; New Simple MP Demo on Malden by Friznit

See full commit history on Github

Known Issues & Support
Existing bugs are listed on Github here. Feel free to submit bugs (with vanilla repros please) or discuss any issues or ideas on our forum at http://alivemod.com/forum/.

Manual
Please refer to the ALiVE Wiki. All the info you need is there. If anything is missing or unclear, please let us know.

Are you using Linux?
ALiVE is fully supported on a Linux Dedicated Server (as well as Windows). In fact the ALiVE Official Server for testing is running Ubuntu. Here are some tips on getting ALiVE running smoothly on Linux and integrated with War Room - http://www.alivemod.com/forum/1916-setting-up-linux- dedi-server

Acknowledgements and Thanks
Particular thanks to all those on our support forum who have worked closely with us to identify bugs, provide logs and generally help us improve ALiVE. Your assistance is valuable and your dedication to ALiVE makes it all worth the effort!

ALiVE has transformed my Arma 3 experience, how can I thank you?

Please consider making a contribution to our server costs if you enjoy ALiVE! It costs us $65 per month to run our War Room website and the ALiVE Database servers and every little helps. Donate here http://www.alivemod.com/#Donate

Special thanks to everyone here for supporting us with donations to the ALiVE mod development effort.

Have fun!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 2.12.2017 at 4:25 PM, Nichols said:

Seeing lots of broken modules with the newest Arma 3 update when trying to run ALiVE on it. If anyone has any ideas on what to do let me know. May have to roll server back to previous version as a fix for now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctweelmwy95k3w6/arma3server_x64_2017-12-01_12-28-34.zip?dl=0

Hi!

This ATO error should be fixed with this release! Also your plugin didn't load correctly, maybe check that if it's not intended!

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Awesome. I love Alive.

I had heavy ArmA hiccups seconds before auto tasking gives a new task, I hope this is better with the new release. EDIT: No. ArmA always gets stuck the moment a new task arrives. Like it is spawning a 100 units.

So now if I load an existing Alive mission in Eden, do I have to replace (and reconfigure) the Alive modules?