ALiVEmod

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment 1.0 (GA)

For insurgency mission making and balancing, there's extensive discussion on our forum: http://alivemod.com/forum/2924-difficulties-with-getting-insurgency-just-right-everyone-input-/0#p20067

ALiVE Persistence in SP is only available in the Release Candidate above and still being tested but should work if you want to try it.  Select "ProfileNameSpace" in the Data module and you'll fine an  ALiVE Save button in game.  Make sure you have persistence enabled in the relevant modules.  The persistent state will load automatically on restart.  More details are in my post on the previous page.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dragonfire43560 said:

What are the best settings to use if I want to create a "winnable" insurgency campaign? 

For example, should I set enemy reinforcements to "infinite"? It seems like that would make sense for an insurency but also it seems like if i take over a sector or town, they would just retake it over considering their infinite manpower. 

Any good and simple way to set an "end objective"? 

For some reason I was under the impression that an Insurgency mission uses the Civilian Population to 'reinforce' rather than the Military Logistics Module if you have the AI Commander set to Asymmetric.......maybe not?

If no civilians then no reinforcements available and a pretty short mission ;)

Don't take my word for it, check the official ALiVE forums as suggested.

Question, what exactly is causing the wrong direction spawning of compositions on maps other then Altis? Is there any fix?

52 minutes ago, reaper lok said:

For some reason I was under the impression that an Insurgency mission uses the Civilian Population to 'reinforce' rather than the Military Logistics Module if you have the AI Commander set to Asymmetric.......maybe not?

If no civilians then no reinforcements available and a pretty short mission ;)

Don't take my word for it, check the official ALiVE forums as suggested.

This is correct. Assymetric uses civs to replenish. Military Logistics should not be used with an Assymetric commander.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, friznit2 said:

For insurgency mission making and balancing, there's extensive discussion on our forum: http://alivemod.com/forum/2924-difficulties-with-getting-insurgency-just-right-everyone-input-/0#p20067

ALiVE Persistence in SP is only available in the Release Candidate above and still being tested but should work if you want to try it.  Select "ProfileNameSpace" in the Data module and you'll fine an  ALiVE Save button in game.  Make sure you have persistence enabled in the relevant modules.  The persistent state will load automatically on restart.  More details are in my post on the previous page.

ohhh i thought SP saving was out already (at least through single player LAN)

3 hours ago, acoustic said:

Question, what exactly is causing the wrong direction spawning of compositions on maps other then Altis? Is there any fix?

You holding the map upside down again?

Something may have changed somewhere.  I'm sure we turned them all around ages ago to solve this.

• Like 1

It's only some of them, not all. I don't think Altis is affected by it.

Edit*

Also , I am a bit curious as to how the OPCOM works on this version of ALiVE. I have found that the more objectives you create, the better gameplay you get from the OPCOM. It generally slows progression down, and focuses a lot on the smaller (but still important) objectives and tactics. 

Say I have 156 objectives, how many groups would I need in order for an OPCOM to keep advancing all the way to victory on invasion mode? Realistically, supporting your front lines is the most important in real war..so keeping lots of forces back at objectives that are far away seems odd. Is this how the OPCOM works or will it just keep pushing its front lines forward and dropping back 1 group every now and then for guarding objectives?

Another balancing question

If i wanna make a campaign mainly for single player, how do I balance the use of AI soldiers?

I dont want to use an AI commander I dont think because it just gets too messy and laggy.

I think i wanna use Spyders recruitment mod. But how do I best balance what the player can recruit or at least make it so they dont just recruit a full squad with no consequence constantly? Or is there a better way to do it? 

13 hours ago, dragonfire43560 said:

Another balancing question

If i wanna make a campaign mainly for single player, how do I balance the use of AI soldiers?

I dont want to use an AI commander I dont think because it just gets too messy and laggy.

I think i wanna use Spyders recruitment mod. But how do I best balance what the player can recruit or at least make it so they dont just recruit a full squad with no consequence constantly? Or is there a better way to do it? 

The AI Commander is what's going to give the groups their waypoints and objectives. You can use just the objective modules, without the Commander module, but the units will be set to I think an occupy state so they won't be doing much.

For SP, I'd recommend keeping it limited. Just allow the units to spawn in the areas you want enemies to be an nothing more, and play with the objective filtering numbers. This is assuming you're hand crafting your own objective(s) and triggers and need to use vanilla saving and loading. If this is not what you mean please clarify.

For Spyder's recruitment, it's designed to let players recruit units just enough to fill their group. So for example, let's say you have a 10 man team. If two die, and the recruitment is capped at 10, you'll only be able to recruit 2 units to your group.

If you want to limit the use, place it somewhere out of the way so it's a pain to get to. Or just don't abuse it. 

Anyone encountered squads of sheep spawning instead of OPFOR troops?

20170509160756_1.jpg

Note that's a single giant squad of AI sheep. 

Mods- ACE3, Various factions, Spyder's ALiVE, AliVE, CBA, CUP (Map is Takistan)

58 minutes ago, jarrad96 said:

20170509160756_1.jpg

That would be Spyker add-ons it has a function where it spawn's animals 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jarrad96 said:

20170509160756_1.jpg

Not sure, I started to count how many you had but fell asleep halfway through ;)

• Like 5

Latest Version set to 1705091
Pre Release Build 1.3.4

https://github.com/ALiVEOS/ALiVE.OS/releases/tag/v1.3.4.1705091

[ALL] Updated version to 1.3.4.1705091
[SYS DATA PNS] Added optional local autosave function (SP / MP compatible) for "local"-persistence-setting on SYS Database module. _interval call ALiVE_fnc_AutoSave_PNS - see description for usage below:
        !! Health Warning: Uses write-to-file operation which causes the game to hold for about 2 seconds on large data. Will cause desync and lag for that period in MP so ideally use with high intervals and with care !!
        900 call ALiVE_fnc_AutoSave_PNS // put in init.sqf -- will save every 15 minutes
        -1 call ALiVE_fnc_AutoSave_PNS // will disable save
[MIL_COMMAND] Fixed: Sea Patrols with waypoints on land. https://github.com/ALiVEOS/ALiVE.OS/commit/4f137a3f5f890dd3ca87439ee92daf3c4af19384 Fixes #315
[MIL_OPCOM] Added vehicle air transport to delayed delivery (improves #218)
[MIL_OPCOM] Only set default ambient movement on vehicles that do not have an active command assigned yet
[MIL_COMMAND] Fixed issue where diver teams did not get a proper set of waypoints for sea patrols.
[MIL OPCOM] Fixed regression where AI commander did not initialize properly, if asymmetric occupation setting was used (fix #338)
[SYS_DATA] Added ability to use Local database and web services for stats, perfmon and AAR.
[MAIN] Tweaked labels & tooltips. Tweaked labelling for clarity

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dragonfire43560 said:

Does this mean single player/LAN perisistance and saving works now on the steam workshop version? 

No. This is a pre-release for testing. There are a lot of new additions between where the mod is at now, and the previous official release, so they are taking extra care to make sure the kinks are worked out (the last pre-release had an infinite loading screen in some cases, for example, so this corrects that amongst other things).

Prerelease != Release, Steam will come when we release.
As always, an official release will be accompanied by a full release post.
  • Like 1

Some really dynamic new features coming out chaps, nice to see you guys expanding the scope of some parts of ALiVE.

Keep up the good work fellas.

• Like 2

Latest Version set to 1705121
Pre Release Build 1.3.5

https://github.com/ALiVEOS/ALiVE.OS/releases/tag/v1.3.5.1705121

[ALL] Updated version to 1.3.5.1705121
[X LIB] Check for [0,0 instead of 0,0 to avoid false positives (and remove debug line)
[Main] Stringtable spelling correction
[X LIB | MAIN] Fixed units got placed on [0,0,0] due to BIS changing defense-object classes to not return building-positions anymore
[X_LIB] Synced missing commits from master
[X_LIB] Synced deleted functions with master
[SYS_DATA] Update data source choices to be clearer - options now Cloud and Local

• Like 5

This one fixed the infinite loading screen. Good job guys! Cant wait to see what you guys have in store for us ...

Cheers

• Like 1

2 things i noticed in ALiVE SP save , 1 when i store backpacks in armmo boxes or anywhere else and save game , after loading the backpacks disappear from that ammo box ( vests still there but empty )

2nd is that ALiVE don't save ZEUS placed objects&units or anything by ZEUS , will we get a fix for those?   

5 hours ago, cpt.ghost said:

2 things i noticed in ALiVE SP save , 1 when i store backpacks in armmo boxes or anywhere else and save game , after loading the backpacks disappear from that ammo box ( vests still there but empty )

2nd is that ALiVE don't save ZEUS placed objects&units or anything by ZEUS , will we get a fix for those?   

If you pick up any object placed by zeus through player logisitics, or if you get inside of any vehicle placed by zeus, ALiVE will indeed save that object.

• Like 1

Does alive SP persistence save the position of every profiled AI/vehicle on the map? Or does it regenerate those everytime you load up the file?

ALso, what about if you drop a weapon on the ground somewhere in the map, will it save that? Basically how "detailed" is the persistence? 

2 hours ago, dragonfire43560 said:

Does alive SP persistence save the position of every profiled AI/vehicle on the map? Or does it regenerate those everytime you load up the file?

ALso, what about if you drop a weapon on the ground somewhere in the map, will it save that? Basically how "detailed" is the persistence? 

Persistence is exactly the same as before. Nothing was changed, just the location of storage.

RFX0nkZ.jpg

ALiVEmod.com

The next generation dynamic persistent mission addon for ArmA3

Release 1.3.5

Local Persistence
Highhead has worked his magic and delivered an option to persist ALiVE missions to your local machine without needing to install a database.  This works in Single Player games or on the hosts machine in Multiplayer, including on dedicated servers.  It's possible to use a scripted autosave option too, though it comes with a health warning: the server will desync for a few seconds while saving large missions.  Reseting persistent missions can be done the same way as before but we have included some extra commands for clearing data from the local ProfileNameSpace manually - details for how to do that are below and will be on our wiki.  Setting up a local database using CouchDB is still an option for those with the technical skills do to so and of course for all those with dedicated servers, the ALiVE War Room is still our recommended method for mission persistence, stats, server monitoring and After Action Reviews.

Meanwhile the rest of the team has been working hard on some major performance improvements.  There is now an option to adjust how fast the virtual profiles spawn when players are within range - slow & smooth helps prevent stuttering on busy missions but may take too long to spawn in for fast moving units such as jets, so adjust to taste.

SpyderBlack continues to enhance his Orbat Tool.  If you have not tried it yet, it's well worth a go.  Many people have released some great new factions using the tool already and remember you don't need ALiVE to use them in missions (though of course we recommend you do!)

Tupolov has returned from the wilderness of no interwebs and responded to a few community requests to index the shiny new Lythium map (welcome back Tup!).  He's also hard at work on an AI Air Component Commander to complement the Ground Ops Commander.  Air Command will issue Air Tasking Orders for all non-logistics aircraft in the AO, providing CAP, DCA, SEAD, CAS and Strike in support of ground forces.  You can see the design work in progress on github.

Download

Grab the latest version from ALiVEmod.com
Also available from PlayWithSix, ArmAholic and Steam (Usually within 24 hours of this post)

Please note that as with all updates, if you have an issue loading a mission made with a previous version of ALiVE, delete and replace the modules in that mission.

Local Persistence Usage
This is the first iteration of Local Persistence so please report any bugs Github.  To use local persistence, select "Local" on the ALiVE Data module and make sure you have persistence enabled on the other modules as normal.  It is recommended you backup your user profile and/or server profile (C:\Users\username\Documents\Arma 3 - Other Profiles\profilename).  Use the ALiVE Save & Exit button when exiting the mission to save the mission data.  When you restart the mission, all saved items will load from your ProfileNameSpace automatically - there is no "Load" button.  To clear the save and start over with a fresh mission, either rename the mission pbo or use the following functions in the debug console.  We may add buttons for clearing data in due course.

call ALiVE_fnc_ProfileNameSpaceClear:  clears data for the current mission only. Note that renaming the mission pbo will also start a fresh instance.
call ALiVE_fnc_ProfileNameSpaceWipe:  clears all ALiVE data from ProfileNameSpace completely.

For Autosave, put the following in init.sqf
900 call ALiVE_fnc_AutoSave_PNS where 900 is the save interval in seconds
-1 call ALiVE_fnc_AutoSave_PNS run at any time will disable autosave

ALiVE War Room
You can continue to use the War Room for mission stats, server monitoring and AAR with Persistence set to Local but you must run @aliveserver on the host machine, have a War Room account and the server details setup, just the same as now.

Release Highlights
Added a database-free local save option
Changed label of "CouchDB" persistence to "Cloud"
Map Index - FSF Adiyaman (thanks Vegas!); Diyala (thanks Heroes!); Winthera & Dingor (thanks Whigital!); Lythium (thanks Tup!)
Added adjustable Smooth Spawn™ for virtual AI
Added group mapping for latest RHS update
Added air transport logistics scheduling to reduce instances of helicopter collisions
Fixed some issues that resulted in profiles being sent to 0,0,0
Several performance enhancements

Many thanks to all those not mentioned here who contributed bug fixes, enhancements and map indexes!  See full commit history on Github

Known Issues & Support
Existing bugs are listed on Github here. Feel free to submit bugs (with vanilla repros please) or discuss any issues or ideas on our forum at http://alivemod.com/forum/.

Manual
Please refer to the ALiVE Wiki. All the info you need is there. If anything is missing or unclear, please let us know.

Are you using Linux?
ALiVE is fully supported on a Linux Dedicated Server (as well as Windows). In fact the ALiVE Official Server for testing is running Ubuntu. Here are some tips on getting ALiVE running smoothly on Linux and integrated with War Room - http://www.alivemod.com/forum/1916-setting-up-linux- dedi-server

Acknowledgements and Thanks
Particular thanks to all those on our support forum who have worked closely with us to identify bugs, provide logs and generally help us improve ALiVE. Your assistance is valuable and your dedication to ALiVE makes it all worth the effort!

Disclaimer
We may need to prune the persistent database data from the War Room, eliminating data that is older than 6-12 months. The ALiVE War Room database is run on a voluntary basis at a cost to the ALiVE development team. No guarantees can be given on the mission data stored or the availability of the service. We apologise for any downtime that may impact your MP persistent missions.

ALiVE has transformed my Arma 3 experience, how can I thank you?
Please consider making a contribution to our server costs if you enjoy ALiVE! It costs us $65 per month to run our War Room website and the ALiVE Database servers and every little helps. Donate here http://www.alivemod.com/#Donate

Special thanks to everyone here for supporting us with donations to the ALiVE mod development effort.

Have fun!

• Like 9