ALiVEmod

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment 1.0 (GA)

Good day everyone!

Thanks for the new update. I have couple of questions ( if i may ):

1. Will AI mortars actually use them? I mean, will they make artillery strikes?

2. AI Joint Force Air Component Commander is the same as Air Patrols discribed on GitHub?

Thank you for your amazing work!

I am now quite curious about what the " AI Joint Force Air Component Commander " will do. The naming of it reminds me of an element of the RAF known as the "Joint Force Air Component Headquarters (JFACHQ)" which I'm lead to believe coordinates air units from the Army, Navy and Air force on campaign. It'll be interesting to see how this develops and whether it will stop the AI command structure from throwing valuable aircraft away.

Air stuff is still very very WIP so don't worry about the specifics too mugh right now.

Static weapons should be changeable through static data.

Alternative tablet model can be chosen via the ALIVE (required) module.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, boss00521 said:

Good day everyone!

Thanks for the new update. I have couple of questions ( if i may ):

1. Will AI mortars actually use them? I mean, will they make artillery strikes?

2. AI Joint Force Air Component Commander is the same as Air Patrols discribed on GitHub?

Thank you for your amazing work!

I use VCOM AI for all the missions I make for our group. If I place an AI mortar then they definitely use it. However I do have to manually place them. 

Also be careful, 1 mortar team in the middle of Takistan (Up by Feruz Abad) will reach all across the map, and they will keep shelling you until you kill the enemy nearby.

It can be both very exciting, and at times very frustrating 

20 minutes ago, JD Wang said:

I use VCOM AI for all the missions I make for our group. If I place an AI mortar then they definitely use it. However I do have to manually place them. 

Also be careful, 1 mortar team in the middle of Takistan (Up by Feruz Abad) will reach all across the map, and they will keep shelling you until you kill the enemy nearby.

It can be both very exciting, and at times very frustrating 

Why would a mortar team be able to see you from halfway across the map? That doesn't make sense. Most vanilla mortars, if you enter the artillery CPU, have a relatively small radius. I think they can blind fire in longer ranges (I think), but that doesn't sound right if we're talking infantry mortar fire blindly spotting and engaging when you're 1km+ away.

Do they have support teams targeting you? Radio protocol or something?

The way VCOM works it spreads intel about you to the other AI. (you can set a limit to the distance at which others will come to reinforce)

It basically simulates a dicker jumping on the phone and calling up mortar support. Once you clear the area the mortars stop. 

The good thing is they're not super accurate, and they seem to fire a smoke round first to range (I assume that's what it is, we'll see smoke and then a few seconds later boom) 

• Like 1

Alive is awesome and just keeps getting awesome-er. Do mortar guys disembark and draw rifles if enemy gets close enough?

Hey guys. Whats the best way to give a commander armored units of a specific type and quantity then stop them from spawning in any more?

For example: Giving a Takistani Commander 4 T-72s and 8 T-34s but no more than that for the entire scenario

• Like 1

Set overrides for Armour in the Placement modules to 0, then manually place some crewed tonks in the editor and sync them to the Virtual AI module (with module set to virtualise synced units).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, froggyluv said:

Alive is awesome and just keeps getting awesome-er. Do mortar guys disembark and draw rifles if enemy gets close enough?

ALIVE doesn't touch low level AI, this is entirely up to Arma itself or any AI mods you might be running.

• Like 2

@froggyluv: many, many ARMA and ASR AI versions ago I made a mission on Kunduz which was about a Bundeswehr platoon hunting Taliban that had attacked the german base in the night with mortar fire.  The Taliban mortar gunner had only a limited amount of amo and I remember that he stayed in the mortar (probably spamming the Taliban's babyphone radioes with "low ammo" messages) until he had gained LOS or acoustic information about our presence in the very compund he himself was hidden with his weapon.  If he then had the time, he would disembark and try to defend himself in CQB.  I don't know, however, if this would've happened with the mortar having (full) ammo. 

16 hours ago, spyderblack723 said:

ALIVE doesn't touch low level AI, this is entirely up to Arma itself or any AI mods you might be running.

Thanks for the new update!

By the way, i plan to try a good AI mod again that works great with an Alive environment, now that 64 bit ARMA has better breath.

Do you guys have some advices to share about the one currently performing well with this mod? ASR, Bcombat, VCOM? Your choice?

Thanks guys.

My personal favourite is the overhauled VCOM, especially since @genesis92x has kindly put some tweaks in to make it play nicely alongside ALiVE Combat Support.  ALiVE+VCOM provides a really challenging battlefield experience.

Incidentally, just re-uploaded Steam Workshop version of ALiVE with the fixed Publisher so that ArmA correctly detects ALiVE as x64 compatible  (thanks Wizard!)

• Like 2

So i have a question and i was gonna post it on the ALiVE forums but i wasn't sure where to put it...

When a map is listed on the GitHub as "Obfuscated" what does it mean?

I've been wanting to use it for a mission for a while and have been thinking about attempting to reindex it since it's on v5.08 right now would this be a waste of time?

It means the PBO's for the map are protected by the author and the map can't be indexed. Your best bet is to PM the map author directly as ask if they can send you an unobfuscated version of the map for private use so you can index it and then you can share that index with the ALiVE team. 

The map PBO's don't need to be unobfuscated for missions to work. But you need them unblocked for the indexing process.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2017 at 2:59 PM, friznit2 said:

My personal favourite is the overhauled VCOM, especially since @genesis92x has kindly put some tweaks in to make it play nicely alongside ALiVE Combat Support.  ALiVE+VCOM provides a really challenging battlefield experience.

Incidentally, just re-uploaded Steam Workshop version of ALiVE with the fixed Publisher so that ArmA correctly detects ALiVE as x64 compatible  (thanks Wizard!)

Yeah genesis plays ALiVE campaigns with our group pretty regularly and has been very accommodating to the eleventy billion requests he's received from us. Ha ha.

its also the best AI mod out there IMO and an outstanding complement to ALiVE

• Like 2

Stoked about the infantry sea transport feature! I've been playing around with the most recent version of ALiVE but have not been able to get virtual infantry entities to use boats though. The closest I have gotten is when a bunch of Syndikat started swimming to their objective...

Is it necessary to pre-place boats? Are there limits on which factions work with this feature?

6 hours ago, gruukh said:

Stoked about the infantry sea transport feature! I've been playing around with the most recent version of ALiVE but have not been able to get virtual infantry entities to use boats though. The closest I have gotten is when a bunch of Syndikat started swimming to their objective...

Did you enable the "Infantry sea transport" setting for the ALiVE Virtual AI System module?

6 hours ago, gruukh said:

Is it necessary to pre-place boats? Are there limits on which factions work with this feature?

You don't have to pre-place boats, they are created as needed. It should work for all factions as far as I can tell.

1 hour ago, marceldev89 said:

Did you enable the "Infantry sea transport" setting for the ALiVE Virtual AI System module?

You don't have to pre-place boats, they are created as needed. It should work for all factions as far as I can tell.

Yep, I ticked the infantry sea transport setting.

Upon further testing, I've found it works fine for NATO Pacific. I also saw it working once for Gendarmerie. Yet to be able to get it to work for AAF/Syndikat, have not tried any CSAT factions yet.

Hey there,

Having frequent error messages since the last update, in particular this one, mainly appearing when i use a good number of AIs. Way less on small scenarios. I'm used to play through editor SP scenarios. I could use some help, don't hesitate to ask if some more informations are needed. Thanks.

By the way, thanks for your advices concerning VCOM AI. I'm using it from now on and it's very satisfying. Maybe this error could be tied to the way VCOM can influence Alive? As i often see an "objective" movement waypoint appearing on the game screen, even if i'm out of any squad/group?

218045201703242054281.jpg

Hey folks, just wondering if anyone is having problems selecting from the AI Military Commander dropdown list, where you specify Invasion // Occupation? For some reason, after the 64bit update, I can't change this setting.

Has anyone experienced this? 

1 hour ago, reggaeman007jah said:

Hey folks, just wondering if anyone is having problems selecting from the AI Military Commander dropdown list, where you specify Invasion // Occupation? For some reason, after the 64bit update, I can't change this setting.

Has anyone experienced this? 

It's a known platform issue with 1.68 and not related to ALiVE. Vanilla triggers and modules appear to be impacted.

Just change your text UI size in your settings, or (apparently) click and drag the open module settings box itself and try to reopen the dropdown. It should work.

• Like 1

Hey There,

Anyone else having issues with the "HYBRID" combat support setting? Any choppers that I set to HYBRID are unable to transport troops (I cannot get into the chopper, and ai refuse to get into the chopper when ordered). CAS and TRANSPORT individually work as expected.

Is this a known issue or is it something on my end?