ALiVEmod

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment 1.0 (GA)

I'd normally search before asking but I'm kinda short on time.

We've recently started using ALiVE again and we're coming across an issue where the dedicated server straight crashes when clients download the mission with a Database module in it. RPT just ends after initalization of alive_sys_data. It was working fine last time we used ALiVE (maybe a year ago). Normal ALiVE mission without Databse module loads up fine (maybe except the game being stuck on loading screen for admin after briefly flashing the map screen).

59 minutes ago, Max255 said:

I'd normally search before asking but I'm kinda short on time.

We've recently started using ALiVE again and we're coming across an issue where the dedicated server straight crashes when clients download the mission with a Database module in it. RPT just ends after initalization of alive_sys_data. It was working fine last time we used ALiVE (maybe a year ago). Normal ALiVE mission without Databse module loads up fine (maybe except the game being stuck on loading screen for admin after briefly flashing the map screen).

In case you're running it on a Linux dedicated server then make sure all the PBOs are lowercase. Other than that, no clue. :D

PBOs are all lowercase, though the @AliveServer DLLs are not. Not sure if this might be the cause but I'll check it anyway.

EDIT: Nope, still crashing.

Edited by Max255

6 hours ago, Max255 said:

PBOs are all lowercase, though the @AliveServer DLLs are not. Not sure if this might be the cause but I'll check it anyway.

EDIT: Nope, still crashing.

Check this thread.  

I forgot to mention that our server is setup through Wine. It crashes right after it tries to initialize the database. No message like "There is a problem with ALiVE plugin" or anything.

I'm not a linux guy but I don't think anything major was changed/updated on our side since last time ALiVE worked.

I mentioned in the first post, missions without persistence work just fine. 

Yeah, I've updated @aliveserver yesterday. I'll check the dependencies.

@Max255Are you guys trying to use R3F Logistics for anything? We had a similar issue awhile back and it was tied to logistics being a whiny module. I think we ended up pulling out the logistics module entirely.

No, mission is bascially a dozen units, some vehicles/objects and ALiVE modules. No other modules and scripts. As for mods, we don't use anything besides ACE, ACRE and gear/unit mods.

On 2/27/2017 at 9:14 PM, jcae2798 said:

Hey Spyder, thanks for the reply.  So i tested this code, and think i know what it means.  But not sure if i can use it to do what I was hoping.  So this will report true/false when module completes initialization, which is great for something else i can make use of, but what i wanted to be able to do was find modules that were being initialized, and adding a CODE to them via script rather then in editor.

So for example:

1. Place ALiVE Combat Support Transport MODULE

2. In CODE section, add call (e.g. null = [this, 50, "B_Heli_Attack_01_F"] execVM "DoFollow.sqf"; )

3. ALIVE will init unit on mission startup, and on every respawn will call that script

So from the above, what i was hoping was rather then adding the code per #2 in editor, call it via script.  So the script would look for all MODULES for Transport, and add the call to each CODE line of those UNITS for respawn purposes.

I was able to do something like the below, but then it doesnt work on respawn:

_transportArray = NEO_radioLogic getVariable format ["NEO_radioTrasportArray_%1", WEST];
_VEH1 = _transportArray select 0; //Gets first unit if multiple spawned
_VEH1 = _VEH1 select 0;   //Gets vehicle

null = [_VEH1, 50] execVM "DoFollow.sqf";

You can use the Arma 3 functions framework to define a function that runs in preinit, using the below as base code for that function

{
    switch (tolower (typeof _x)) do {
        case "alive_sup_transport": {
            private _existingCode = _x getvariable ["transport_code", ""];
            private _newCode = ""; // your code here
            _x setvariable ["transport_code", _existingCode + _newCode];
        };
        case "alive_sup_cas": {
            private _existingCode = _x getvariable ["cas_code", ""];
            _x setvariable ["cas_code", _existingCode + _newCode];
        };
        case "alive_sup_artillery": {
            private _existingCode = _x getvariable ["artillery_code", ""];
            _x setvariable ["artillery_code", _existingCode + _newCode];
        };
    };
} foreach (entities "Module_F");

If that doesn't work, try setting preinit to 0 and postinit to 1 (this is more likely to work). If that still doesn't work let me know.

• Like 1

I'm still getting the issue where the combat support module isn't showing all the CAS and Transport modules on a dedicated server. I was wondering if the problem was identified yet or if there was a workaround\fix for it?

Can you replicate with just ALiVE and CBA running?  It's working fine on my dedi with various popular mods.

6 hours ago, friznit2 said:

Can you replicate with just ALiVE and CBA running?  It's working fine on my dedi with various popular mods.

I can confirm there is an issue, at least with MODS and some combat support not showing up on a dedicated server only. I have an RHS USMC D mission going, and only three of my four CAS vehicles appear on the Combat Support list (all four always show up in SP).

I manually enter the CS code in the vehicle inits, and am using in order the AH-1Z (Close-Support), AH-1Z (Ground Suppression), UH-1Y (Ground Suppression) and the A10A (CAS). For whatever reason, the second one (AH-1Z Ground Suppression) never appears on a dedi. And note it is fully operational on the dedi because I teleported there and checked.

Seems like the exact same bug that was squashed. Though of course I'm using mods, but I am definitely seeing this too.

9 hours ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

I can confirm there is an issue, at least with MODS and some combat support not showing up on a dedicated server only. I have an RHS USMC D mission going, and only three of my four CAS vehicles appear on the Combat Support list (all four always show up in SP).

I manually enter the CS code in the vehicle inits, and am using in order the AH-1Z (Close-Support), AH-1Z (Ground Suppression), UH-1Y (Ground Suppression) and the A10A (CAS). For whatever reason, the second one (AH-1Z Ground Suppression) never appears on a dedi. And note it is fully operational on the dedi because I teleported there and checked.

Seems like the exact same bug that was squashed. Though of course I'm using mods, but I am definitely seeing this too.

My issue is the exact same except with CUP vehicles. It will only display three of the four CAS and Transport vehicles. Mine are module placed, not manually placed. Only an issue on a dedicated server. I'll investigate further to see if I can narrow it down. As of right now it looks like the GUI of the tablet won't include anything if it has to make the selections scroll. (GUI has room for 3 vehicles but 4 would require it to be scrolled to so it's not included) I can swap the vehicles to change the selections but it will only display 3. But I've only tried 4 vehicles, something else I'll investigate to be sure of. I'll look at which vehicle is being excluded as well to see if it's also the second vehicle.

I use many mods so I can't discount that being the issue. I'll look into it further! I'll get back to you with my results.

BTW this is an old mission that I didn't have issues with previously.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2017 at 8:05 PM, spyderblack723 said:

You can use the Arma 3 functions framework to define a function that runs in preinit, using the below as base code for that function

Dude you're awesome.  This worked perfectly.  Thanks again.

2 hours ago, cdn_biggdogg said:

My issue is the exact same except with CUP vehicles. It will only display three of the four CAS and Transport vehicles. Mine are module placed, not manually placed. Only an issue on a dedicated server. I'll investigate further to see if I can narrow it down. As of right now it looks like the GUI of the tablet won't include anything if it has to make the selections scroll. (GUI has room for 3 vehicles but 4 would require it to be scrolled to so it's not included) I can swap the vehicles to change the selections but it will only display 3. But I've only tried 4 vehicles, something else I'll investigate to be sure of. I'll look at which vehicle is being excluded as well to see if it's also the second vehicle.

I use many mods so I can't discount that being the issue. I'll look into it further! I'll get back to you with my results.

BTW this is an old mission that I didn't have issues with previously.

If you could that would be helpful. I have very little time to do dedicated server testing so I'd appreciate it if you can narrow it down.

5 hours ago, jcae2798 said:

Dude you're awesome.  This worked perfectly.  Thanks again.

Great. For future reference, did it work with postInit or preInit set to 1?

Just a thought after looking at it a second time, if you ever get any errors with this, make sure the user has ended the code field in the module with a semicolon :)

2 hours ago, spyderblack723 said:

Great. For future reference, did it work with postInit or preInit set to 1?

Just a thought after looking at it a second time, if you ever get any errors with this, make sure the user has ended the code field in the module with a semicolon :)

Let me test some more and i'll let ya know exactly how and why i did it  :)

@cdn_biggdogg I just ran 3 tests on a dedicated server. The mission has 5 CAS and 3 transport and I cannot duplicate with just ALiVE and CBA. I tried a seperate test with Advanced Rappelling thinking that might be it, but it's not. They all show up.

Although there is definitely an issue, I don't think it's ALiVE/CBA related. At least not at this point, not on my end.

EDIT: So I just went into my modded RHS/Project OPFOR/CUP Terrains mission, and even after deleting and replacing everything, the second Transport and second CAS vehicle never show up on the combat support list. This is very strange!

@cdn_biggdogg Can you list the mods and scripts you are using? I just ran my same vanilla test with RHS USAF and AFRF only and that's not failing combat support on a dedicated server either. I'm guessing we're using something in common here that's impacting this and I'd like to figure out what it is without adding my mods/scripts back in one by one.

Can someone provide me links to ALIVE vanilla missions  or  with RHS and CUP terrain -without other mods 

Quick question, posted on the alive forums but nobody has gotten back to me yet, so i thought i would try here too.

So obviously the method of saving a persistent mission is done by hitting the save and exit option as the logged in admin. I assume this calls a function that begins the save process. Is there a way that this function can be called by other methods? To create other ways to save a mission if there is no admin present for example?

2 hours ago, -ben- said:

Quick question, posted on the alive forums but nobody has gotten back to me yet, so i thought i would try here too.

From ALiVE dev Friznit on the ALiVE forums:

It's not currently possible to save any other way, mostly due to technical limitations imposed by the game engine.