ALiVEmod

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment 1.0 (GA)

Is there any up to date video tutorials to show a complete noob how to set up an insurgency on any map?

• Like 1

Is there any up to date video tutorials to show a complete noob how to set up an insurgency on any map?

I second this.

I don't see any reason why this bit from the wiki wouldn't at least get you started. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask as I've been making quite a few of these recently: http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Insurgency

Just a note on that "any" map bit. A map needs to be indexed (example: Dyala hasn't been indexed yet). The good thing is most maps are already indexed and the ones that aren't are either likely being worked on or you can go ahead and index them yourself with the new indexing tools.

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Maps

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Map_Indexing

• Like 1

I second this.

I learnt a lot from the ALiVE mission templates in this thread http://alivemod.com/forum/1059-mission-templates

Also I'd suggest downloading Spyders Insurgency mission linked in the first post of that thread. It's very bare bones, but shows you exactly the simple framework for a solid insurgency mission. I'd also suggest finding Spyders Addons from the workshop. It's designed to work with ALiVE and gives a much better civilian interaction system.

• Like 1

Place your (crewed) combat support asset in the editor and sync (F5) it to the combat support module

In the init field of the CS asset put this:

this setVariable ["CS_TYPE","ARTY"];

Optional settings:

this setVariable ["CS_ARTILLERY_HE",50]; //Number of HE Rounds. Can be HE, ILLUM, SMOKE, GUIDED, CLUSTER, LG, MINE, ATMINE, ROCKET

(note that not all arty vehicles can use all the ammo types of course)

If it still doesn't work test with a vanilla artillery piece (ie: NATO or CSAT) to make sure you are doing it right.

I don't think manually placed artillery is working right. I'll place down a artillery group, put "this setVariable ["CS_TYPE","ARTY"];" in the init of the group leader, and sync the group to the Player Combat Support module, and they either won't fire when a request is sent, or only one group member will fire one or at most two rounds and then be done. Even with a single artillery unit, it will either fire one or two rounds, or none at all. The unit still shows up in the tablet, and they'll still go through the motions with the radio chatter, just no actual rounds are fired. Tried both with and without mods.

EDIT: The regular artillery ALiVE module is working just fine, it's just the manually placed arty units.

I don't think manually placed artillery is working right. I'll place down a artillery group, put "this setVariable ["CS_TYPE","ARTY"];" in the init of the group leader, and sync the group to the Player Combat Support module, and they either won't fire when a request is sent, or only one group member will fire one or at most two rounds and then be done. Even with a single artillery unit, it will either fire one or two rounds, or none at all. The unit still shows up in the tablet, and they'll still go through the motions with the radio chatter, just no actual rounds are fired. Tried both with and without mods.

EDIT: The regular artillery ALiVE module is working just fine, it's just the manually placed arty units.

Thanks for the report will try and repro - are you using vanilla factions (ie: BLU_F, OPF_F)?

Thanks for the report will try and repro - are you using vanilla factions (ie: BLU_F, OPF_F)?

Yes, vanilla factions. Tested on both Stratis and Thirsk islands, with RHS also and the same results both times.

RFX0nkZ.jpg

https://github.com/ALiVEOS/ALiVE.OS.git

ALiVE.OS - Open Source 
We kept ALiVE closed during dev to facilitate source management, version control and support for what we knew was going to be quite a complex beast.  However, we always intended to open up the source code once we had achieved a stable, feature complete release.  We are now largely content that we have achieved that, notwithstanding the bugs that we are still working on and new features that we would like to include.

So as of today we have changed the licence from a restricted Creative Commons to an open GPL v2 for all builds after 1.0.5.1605051 (the latest official release) and put ALiVE in a public git repo for everyone to fork as you wish.  There are some caveats and everything is explained in the licence file but in short:

1.  ALiVE is free software and may not be monetized in any way (that includes servers that try to get around it with "donations for perks")
2.  You may release forks of ALiVE but please make it clear that it's not an official version to avoid confusing everyone.
3.  We strongly encourage everyone to help develop the official Master version using git Branches and Pull Requests. Full details are on our Github wiki.

Not So Frequently Asked Questions
  • Why GPL v2?  It's an older licence but many of the other big mods like ACE use it, so it'll facilitate code sharing.
  • What about ALiVE Plugin?  The War Room and its API Plugin (ALiVEPlugIn.dll and ALiVEPlugIn.so) remain on the closed Creative Commons licence for now.  There's a lot of propriety stuff in there and licensing is a headache but there's nothing to stop a clever person getting funky with sys_data and exploring local DB options.
  • ALiVEClient.dll used for map indexing and some future advanced features is also closed source. However, if you wish to contribute to either of these plugins please contact us and we can arrange access to the repo.
  • Mikero's Tools? They're needed for building and indexing maps but the ones we include are an older freeware version.  We strongly encourage everyone to buy the latest from Mikero's site.  Without his genius, ArmA modding would not be possible.
Have fun!
  • Like 8

Yes, vanilla factions. Tested on both Stratis and Thirsk islands, with RHS also and the same results both times.

Just tested using NATO on Stratis and it works fine for me using:

in the init field of a BLUFOR Mk6 mortar

However as soon as I add this optional param:

this setvariable ["CS_ARTILLERY_HE",50];

I get a script error.

Strike my last the optional ammo param should be:

this setvariable ["CS_ARTILLERY_HE","50"];

Wiki has been updated.

Are you using more than one synced artillery piece?  My test I just had the one mortar.  Also if you have a vanilla repro mission please fwd to me.

It's very warming to see that we still have a great modding community that wants to share their work freely with the Milsim community despite the selfish approach and the ill feeling within our community that some RPG Modders have created.

So Kudos to the Alive team, especially going open source with this after all the very long and frustrating hours it must have taken to develop this great mod thus far. 

I do sincerely hope the "monetised" RPG servers in whatever shade they operate in, respect the EULA and revert their approach back to the way we have historically done things over the past 14 years.

• Like 5

Its nice to see more ArmA mods becoming open source, IMO its better for everyone involved. I look forward to possibly contributing.

However I have one possible concern / issue. I am not a lawyer so forgive me for possibly speaking out of turn (especially if you lot actually know better) but... surely by releasing it under the GPL you relinquish all rights to forbid people from monetizing it? I completely understand (and agree) with why you wish to do that but it seems to be in contradiction to my understanding of the GPL. My concern is that you might be powerless to actually stop people from doing so. I hope I am wrong mind you. 

That said, I look forward to seeing how ALiVE develops on from here, its already a pretty exciting and fun way to play ArmA and it can only get better. 

Just tested using NATO on Stratis and it works fine for me using:

in the init field of a BLUFOR Mk6 mortar

However as soon as I add this optional param:

this setvariable ["CS_ARTILLERY_HE",50];

I get a script error.

Strike my last the optional ammo param should be:

this setvariable ["CS_ARTILLERY_HE","50"];

Wiki has been updated.

Are you using more than one synced artillery piece?  My test I just had the one mortar.  Also if you have a vanilla repro mission please fwd to me.

Using more then one, but I get the same result with just one. I have uploaded a mission showing the issue, along with a video showing the problem. Only mods running are CBA and Alive.

Mission:

https://youtu.be/NEwKzFNrJUs

Is it possible for Alive AI commander to issue orders to units created in the editor?

Follow up, is it possible to create an AI group in editor and assign it special loadouts via arsenal and have Alive Virtualization remember their loaoduts?

Anyone know where to build a base on Kunduz? The debugger gives one location and its covered in rocks thus destroying every vehicle spawn.

Is it possible for Alive AI commander to issue orders to units created in the editor?

Follow up, is it possible to create an AI group in editor and assign it special loadouts via arsenal and have Alive Virtualization remember their loaoduts?

For the first question, yea its entirety possible. Place whatever units you want in the editor and sync them with the Virtual AI module, then set a OPCOM to control their faction. I sometimes find this actually easier because it gives more control over whats there, and they don't blow up/die because they spawned in the wrong spot. You can also set the Virtual AI module to virturalize all editor placed units if you're going to have a lot of them.

Second question, I have no idea.

I don't see any reason why this bit from the wiki wouldn't at least get you started. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask as I've been making quite a few of these recently: http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Insurgency

Just a note on that "any" map bit. A map needs to be indexed (example: Dyala hasn't been indexed yet). The good thing is most maps are already indexed and the ones that aren't are either likely being worked on or you can go ahead and index them yourself with the new indexing tools.

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Maps

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Map_Indexing

Almost all of those modules named in the Wiki have changed their names since the last couple of releases, so it's out of date, hence why I asked for a current set up, that uses the modules that are present in the latest release, same with the majority of the you tube tutorials, all done with the older named modules.

But thanks anyway for taking the time to respond

Edit:  Being a narrow minded  American, haha.

Other than that I love this thing, adds hours of fun with little to no knowledge of how to make a mission, epic.

• Like 1

The Virtual AI System will not remember their loadouts, but you can handle loadouts on un-virtualization spawn here

Almost all of those modules named in the Wiki have changed their names since the last couple of releases, so it's out of date, hence why I asked for a current set up, that uses the modules that are present in the latest release, same with the majority of the you tube tutorials, all done with the older named modules.

But thanks anyway for taking the time to respond

All of the modules on the Insurgency Briefing wiki page are up-to-date

You can also reverse engineer the Insurgency mission from this mission pool http://alivemod.com/missions

• Like 1

Wiki is fully up to date, unless I've missed something. If so please send me a link and I'll fix it.

Some of the early youtube tutorials may be though.

• Like 2

Okay, I have a question, or maybe I need a little introduction into the basics behind ALiVE xD: 

I'm working on my very first persistent ALiVE Campaign. The task is simple, take over the map. That means, my unit will start in one corner of the map. The whole map is held by enemy forces (Asymmetric Settings). 
Since my unit is rather small I want some ambient BLUFOR AI in the areas that are cleared by enemies. That means at first only a small part of the Map has BLUFOR units but over time...when we cleared towns the should also be in these areas.
The thing is, while I want the enemy to target these Areas I don't want the BLUFOR units to go and clear other towns. 

How should I set up the mission then? Should I use multiple small TAOR marker (each town) or one big (across the map)? 
Is it possible that the BLUFOR AI doesn't clear any enemy held towns by itself?

I'm sorry that I'm basically asking for a tutorial. I've read a lot on the wiki but am not sure if I can accomplish what I try to do.
I'd be totally okay if any help would come via PM to not disturb this forum here (but on the other hand, others might be interested as well)

Thanks in advance

Many Greetings
Moony

Quick question about suicide bombers in Assymetric.

So when I debug the civilian placement module I can see a bunch of green squares (which represent civilians) and a bunch of white squares with the "fnc_suicide bomber" markers (not near my computer but its something similar).

Whenever I teleport to these white markers none of the civilians have any explosives on them or are actually suicide bombers. How is this supposed to work?

Sometimes the white fnc markers don't have civs in that exact location at all. What do the white makers mean? Does this function like the CQB debug where all possible locations light up and then filter themselves out by being a brighter shade based on the likelihood you determined in the IED module?

Mooney,

I think what you want to do is set a small TAOR at your base and set BLUFOR as an occupation for that TAOR.  That way they will spawn in there for you.  You can set overrides for a certain amount of BLUFOR to spawn there if you like.  Then, set your Military logistics with a level of reinforcements for BLUFOR that you are comfortable with.

You can use the Combat support tablet to call in reinforcements from that pool, to garrison those areas that you have cleared out as players.   
So, as you move across the map clearing areas, you call in troops via Airdrop or Helicopter to hang out in those towns and provide deterrence from Asym OPFOR from retaking those areas.

In Asymmetric mode, the OPFOR will start with a small amount of forces in their TAORs (or whole map, if you set no TAORs - remember to blacklist your home base from OPFOR  or they will spawn there).

That is basically what I did in my Asym campaign before it broke out into open warfare when AIF forces managed to punch through a cordon of local BluFor my JSOC team was advising.

Good Luck!

Okay, I have a question, or maybe I need a little introduction into the basics behind ALiVE xD: 

I'm working on my very first persistent ALiVE Campaign. The task is simple, take over the map. That means, my unit will start in one corner of the map. The whole map is held by enemy forces (Asymmetric Settings). 
Since my unit is rather small I want some ambient BLUFOR AI in the areas that are cleared by enemies. That means at first only a small part of the Map has BLUFOR units but over time...when we cleared towns the should also be in these areas.
The thing is, while I want the enemy to target these Areas I don't want the BLUFOR units to go and clear other towns. 

How should I set up the mission then? Should I use multiple small TAOR marker (each town) or one big (across the map)? 
Is it possible that the BLUFOR AI doesn't clear any enemy held towns by itself?

I'm sorry that I'm basically asking for a tutorial. I've read a lot on the wiki but am not sure if I can accomplish what I try to do.
I'd be totally okay if any help would come via PM to not disturb this forum here (but on the other hand, others might be interested as well)

Thanks in advance

Many Greetings
Moony

• Like 1

Thanks ski, 

that sounds like a really nice approach. I actually did not think of calling in reinforcement by myself. 

So basically I only have two TAOR marker, one for BLUFOR and one for OPFOR? (while in my case I properly go with a big TAOR across the map, since I want people to have something to do from the start)

Thanks you for the tipps. You helped me alot! ^^

Depending on your map, you won't even have to make a TAOR for OpFor.  If you leave it blank they will use the entire map as their TAOR.  Then you just need to blacklist the BLUFOR TAOR so they won't spawn or attack there if you want.

Then, set your asymmetric objectives and placement how you want.  Remember, they will start off kind of small, and depending on how many Installations you set for them to begin with, they will start to spread across the map.
Take the time to debug your placement, or after you have set everything down, play through in single/MP mode and use the ingame debugger from the Combat Tablet or Admin to see how the profiled forces are spawning, and spreading.  Especially the Installation Debugger to see where the Asymmetric forces are placing Installations to start.