ALiVEmod

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment 1.0 (GA)

Thanks Dogpatch will take a look - are you placing the ALiVE data module in your mission?

Yes. This module is used in the mission.

If you don't use or plan on using the War Room, you can remove the data module.

Though that doesn't mean your rpt or future rpts aren't useful. So thanks for sharing. A lot of us do use War Room and obviously would love any issues with it to be squashed.

@gibfender - if you have a repro mission with just RHS, ALiVE and CBA then PM to me if you can... thanks!

PM sent, thanks.

• Like 1

As Heroes mentioned can you try removing this module and test again?  Data module is only used for persistent missions in conjunction with the War Room.. although it would be nice if it handled it a bit better than an error msg .. will add to the todo list.

What happens to CAS and Transport choppers when they get blown up? Do they disappear forever or do they respawn eventually based on your settings?

Never really thought about it before. Mine was shot out of mid air. I respawned back at base (where the transport chopper usually is) and it's not there. Will it come back eventually?

@HeroesandvillainsOS: yes, definitely it's possible to let all kinds of supports respawn.  You set that in the Player Support module: how often in total each kind of supports can respawn and how long the respawn delay is.   Default is 10 times respawn per support category, but that can be changed individually for each support category, like arty respawns ten times, but CAS only 5 times - whatever you like.

I forgot what the default respawn delay is, but I have set mine to ten minutes because I want to punish me for being a bad commander who is wasting multimillion dollar assets like helicopters and hard-to-replace personnel like pilots.  I can confirm that helicopter transport and CAS as well as arty  assets respawn after the set time.  Had problems with fixed wing CAS but that may be due to unwise unit positioning of the two planes on the runway in 2D editor level. 

Hope that helps,

tourist

• Like 1

@HeroesandvillainsOS: yes, definitely it's possible to let all kinds of supports respawn.  You set that in the Player Support module: how often in total each kind of supports can respawn and how long the respawn delay is.   Default is 10 times respawn per support category, but that can be changed individually for each support category, like arty respawns ten times, but CAS only 5 times - whatever you like.

I forgot what the default respawn delay is, but I have set mine to ten minutes because I want to punish me for being a bad commander who is wasting multimillion dollar assets like helicopters and hard-to-replace personnel like pilots.  I can confirm that helicopter transport and CAS as well as arty  assets respawn after the set time.  Had problems with fixed wing CAS but that may be due to unwise unit positioning of the two planes on the runway in 2D editor level. 

Hope that helps,

tourist

I have mine set to 30 minutes (I like being really punished for being stupid). So does that mean after a half hour, it will reappear back at my module back at base?

Yes, I played once for 2 hours in one session and that meant I saw the destroyed assets re-appear at module location.  I also think that persistence saves the state of supports too, if working in general.  That means the "countdown" for support respawn should be continued after re-launching server - no "cheating" possible by quitting and restarting the server ;)

• Like 1

What happens to CAS and Transport choppers when they get blown up? Do they disappear forever or do they respawn eventually based on your settings?

Never really thought about it before. Mine was shot out of mid air. I respawned back at base (where the transport chopper usually is) and it's not there. Will it come back eventually?

They will respawn at the module location based on the settings that you have set within your combat support module (in terms of respawn delay and total respawns).

Edit: Didn't realize there was a new page, looks like tourist beat me ;)

• Like 2

Ah, I can never really beat the ALiVE knowledge of  someone like you who is actually developing addons for it, but hey- we're exchanging mere user experience here, and I was a little faster just that one time... ^_^

Ah, I can never really beat the ALiVE knowledge of  someone like you who is actually developing addons for it, but hey- we're exchanging mere user experience here, and I was a little faster just that one time... ^_^

Where do you think he got his name from? Last guy that beat him to an answer got wrapped up in white spinny stuff, was taken into a dark ("black") corner and was then eaten.

True story.

• Like 1

Hey guys. Looking for a little advice for the Military Logistics Force Pool settings.

I'm working on finishing up 3 missions, all Assymetric Insurgencies. I want the missions to be really long lasting, maybe indefinite but I'm not opposed to them ending at some point based on how well or poorly I play the game. I currently use infinite for my side but just learned about the "Dynamic" setting.

Has anyone ever used this in an insurgency for the non-insurgent side? What do you guys think? If I set it to Dynamic, will I quickly overrun the Assymetric side if I take some objectives quickly? How well balanced does it feel?

I guess I'm also not sure if my reinforcements can exceed my initial unit spawn numbers and stuff so if anyone's ever used it for an Insurgency, I'd love to get some feedback on how it's gone for you.

Infinite promises a long lasting battle, but after finding out about this, it feels cheap.

Opinions?

Well, one approach could be that you set only a small force of playable soldiers for the COIN side, and put no BLUFOR OPCOM module on the map. Then set the mission up with base respawn.  That way you only ever have your, say, 24 AI subordinates and whatever Combat support like CAS or Arty you have set.  Infinite respawns yes, but you never have like 500 units at once vs. 200 Insurgents just because the OPCOM conquers quickly the dynamic reinforcement locations. 

Well, one approach could be that you set only a small force of playable soldiers for the COIN side, and put no BLUFOR OPCOM module on the map. Then set the mission up with base respawn. That way you only ever have your, say, 24 AI subordinates and whatever Combat support like CAS or Arty you have set. Infinite respawns yes, but you never have like 500 units at once vs. 200 Insurgents just because the OPCOM conquers quickly the dynamic reinforcement locations.

I've entertained that idea too but these missions are kind of designed for 1-2 players leading a 6 man AI squad so having 24 AI under my control at all times doesn't really have too much appeal to me. I like the idea of my small team doing missions while my OPCOM commander is leading other small squads on various objectives around the map. Though I do like the idea of my side being limited. I don't have the exact inital force sizes in front of me, but what I like to do is have on large maps OPFOR start with around 160 units but I also place 3 civilian placement modules so they have a crap ton of civs to recruit.

I limit my side to around 100 total, but do this because we are stronger, have armor and armored vehicles. With an infinite pool size so my missions never really end.

When I read about the Dynamic setting, it seems to me that my reinforcements could potentially get small early which I like because the insurgents seem to take objectives quickly in ALiVE. I like the thought of being punished for playing wrong but I also am little nervous for being rewarded with too many reinforcements if I take some key areas early and with authority.

I'd love to get more thoughts on this.

Ugh. Mad at myself for not remembering how to do this.

How do you unload a logistics chopper or vehicle? I called in some ammo and can't for the life of me figure out what to do to get the supplies out.

Ugh. Mad at myself for not remembering how to do this.

How do you unload a logistics chopper or vehicle? I called in some ammo and can't for the life of me figure out what to do to get the supplies out.

ALiVE Menu >> Player Options >> Activate Logistics Actions

• Like 1

This may sound like a silly question, but those that are experiencing crashes on servers with ALiVE, are you using some type of respawn gear script? So when player dies they load last known gear?

I ask because i experienced it a few times when i loaded the respawn gear script....just wondering if its related.  Keep in mind it could work in some cases, so i'm only wondering for those who are actually crashing, if this is part of the mission design.  I read in some posts over in exile that this may have been related as well...  Good luck

If you don't use or plan on using the War Room, you can remove the data module.

Though that doesn't mean your rpt or future rpts aren't useful. So thanks for sharing. A lot of us do use War Room and obviously would love any issues with it to be squashed.

I removed the module from the mission, but unfortunately it did not work, and further server has crash.

Well, one approach could be that you set only a small force of playable soldiers for the COIN side, and put no BLUFOR OPCOM module on the map. Then set the mission up with base respawn.  That way you only ever have your, say, 24 AI subordinates and whatever Combat support like CAS or Arty you have set.  Infinite respawns yes, but you never have like 500 units at once vs. 200 Insurgents just because the OPCOM conquers quickly the dynamic reinforcement locations.

Hey you seem like you have a pretty good grasp on mission balance. What's your opinion on this?

http://alivemod.com/forum/1750-limiting-cas

• Like 1

ALiVE Menu >> Player Options >> Activate Logistics Actions

Ok. I definitely see that option. But, at least with the helicopter that lands, I don't see any option on the mouse scroll wheel options to unload it.

It's the scroll wheel, right?

Gonna try just a plain Jane helidrop instead of trying to unload a helicopter to see if that works or to see if I can at least get the gist of this.

EDIT: Yeah it works with a helidrop. Must be a problem with the specific custom logistics chopper I added.

Quick persistence question:

Does mission persistence work if I change my playable unit slot?

I have a mission where I have two squads. One is a 10-man infantry team which I plan on leading when patrolling. The other is a 6-man sniper squad which I'll lead when I gather Intel on installations and use C2ISTAR.

I heard in the past that persistence didn't like users changing their slot on server restarts. Is that true?

I'm wondering if what I want to accomplish will work. Basically, if I plop down an ALiVE marker when leading the infantry squad, server save and exit, restart the server and choose to lead the sniper team, will persistence work and will that installation still be where I marked?

^ I think so but not 100% sure.  I think the issue with switching playable slots is that your saved data from the 1st slot you choose doesn't carry over when you reconnect in a different slot.  What you are describing should work fine.

^ I think so but not 100% sure. I think the issue with switching playable slots is that your saved data from the 1st slot you choose doesn't carry over when you reconnect in a different slot. What you are describing should work fine.

Cool. If you had to take a stab in the dark at it, what do you think will "save" and what do you think will "reset?"

As long as the installations I mark and the general mission progress saves (enemy locations, etc) that would be enough for me. I just see no sense in marking spots for myself if the installations and enemy HQ's won't be there when I load back again as the sniper team (and vice versa. The installations I clear saving when I switch back to the infantry team).

My guess would be things like loadouts, position, etc will not transfer to the new slot (since it is a different 'player'), however your ALiVE markers and any progress you've made should get saved.

• Like 1

I get THIS when I start my mission with alive activated.

Can anyone explain?