glocks999

This game is too hard :(

As von Richthofen once said- "It is best if the customer comes to the shop". For example if a bot platoon is advancing towards you, stay behind a house and pick them off one by one as they come into view round the corner.

Use "double tap" firing when you get an enemy in your rifle sights, meaning fire twice in quick succession BAM BAM a split second apart to double your chances of scoring a hit.

the only good advice.

And same can be said about killing other players in games too, not just against AI. Seen many people sniping for instance at someone from 2km away and then waiting 5 seconds to see where their shots landed, complain that they could not see them or that their shots landed above even when they had correct zeroing. If I snipe someone I do not wait to see if a person will die or not, I fire at least 2 more shots at him with slightly different angle, 1st shot usually straight at the body center, 1 shot above a little and 1 bellow. And my chances increases almost to 100 percent. Also I do not give time for enemy to react this way and start moving or stand up and run etc. It is exactly the same in closer combat ranges too. Because screw desync and arma 3 physics, sometimes 1 shot is not enough to kill even with Lynx and this time frame is enough for AI (especially AI) to react and start running away. They have cat's reflexes.

hahaha oh wow. Do you even arma??? AI optics makes absolutely no difference in how fast or hard they spot you! Get on with the times, it's Arma 3 AI, they see through everything even developers said that somewhere (won't bother to look specific video or topic).

Facts: AI can shoot with iron sights up to 500m or sometimes more no problem and headshot you. And I am speaking from personal experience too. Did a mission, killed AI, died to them twice while sniping at 1000 m range yet when I looted bodies all I saw was ACO optics. Yeah, optics really make such difference for AI :D It doesn't.

Thanks for detailed report, I checked and optics *makes* a difference. Put two riflemen, 500m from you, kill one, observe the other. Do the same with two squad leaders, note the difference.

• Like 1

AI has already quite large amount of aiming difficulties, there is aiming error, suppression, both health and fatigue (sorry, stamina) are influencing ability to shoot at target. Skill has greatest influence, but also has weapon. AI with better optics will spot you faster and shoot at you more precisely.

From my personal perspective, as I'm also playing Arma, both aiming error and suppression added greatly to my survivability. I usually test AI on default skill, default infantry, on normal difficulty, but not only. If you guys have some repro mission for god-like-brutal-robotic-killing-machines, I will be happy to add it to my collection of test missions ;)

AI being hit doesn't seem affect their accuracy or reaction time to me. in fact it seems to help them ID your position more clearly. But you are saying that their health (or dammage) affects accuracy? thats good to hear.

@Brat -add every Laxeman oddity mod like suppression/twitch/jump/dance & boogey

Problem solved.

@Brat -add every Laxeman oddity mod like suppression/twitch/jump/dance & boogey

Problem solved.

We need something that moderates reaction times far better, even when you put them into the basement stat-wise they can still jog into position, snap aim and fire very quickly at times.

This of course is compounded if you have issues with performance, you might lag, they don't.

AI could also see perfectly 180 degrees for all intents and purposes,

more like 360 vision. I have been spotted by AI multiple times when I stand up from cover when they walk away from me facing their backs to me (and 300 away from me!), and then instantly turn around, fast-aim and head shot me. If this is "good AI" that fanboys of arma 3 keep telling me then I don't know how to convince them otherwise. Such people are true believers, no facts could convince them that AI suck and playing against AI is pain in the ass. And I am sure turning everything on low could "dumb them down" but then again you lose other AI features that makes them good AI, so unless there is some feature which disables specifically 360 degree vision and X-Ray vision and ultra-sound echolocation, playing against them is no different than jumping in DayZ Crazy Russia server and expecting fair fights.

more like 360 vision. I have been spotted by AI multiple times when I stand up from cover when they walk away from me facing their backs to me (and 300 away from me!), and then instantly turn around, fast-aim and head shot me. If this is "good AI" that fanboys of arma 3 keep telling me then I don't know how to convince them otherwise.

I've never expercienced that, apart with AI sharing info among the same squad, which is overdone if you ask me.

AI's field of view is only 120 degrees, but they turn their head a lot, and it doesn't seem to matter if you're right in front or in the edge of the fov. But it's still not exactly 360.

And I think thats part of the problem - there is no sense of the AI honing in on  player should he be on the very edge of his FOV.  Simply by turning on Auto-Report and scanning around a busy environment, its plain as day that the spotting system could use an upgrade as entities that I spent zero time actually eyeing for are called out. For instance the Reveal button press requires actual 'effort' in looking at one spot, locking on pixel and pressing a button. Obviously AI dont have buttons but there could be a system in which immediate threats with little clutter directly in front of AI get highest reveal with that number lowering itself incrementally every 20 degrees or something to that effect. Add to that a few minor transition animations such as a quick ready, point, hunker down, startle and that would go a long way toward finally eliminating this (partial) terminator myth.

Really.. Arma robot AI is maybe the dumbest and unfairest AI in the universe (Bots from 90's). Like the door thing in earlier video WHY OH WHY DEVS that should have been fixed in alpha stage.. oh sorry i forgot this is military simul.. sandbox, everything has to be hard even using doors... list is long. But if you play beta game you get beta AI. Wait the APEX patch and you get full experience.. till then play PVP or coop and hunt rabbits easy kills, i can recommend( tho need some beer for that). 

AI's field of view is only 120 degrees, but they turn their head a lot, and it doesn't seem to matter if you're right in front or in the edge of the fov.

I'm gonna have to take some of that back. The target's position definitely has an effect on spotting.

The lines represent the sides and center of the 120 degree FOV.

The first part shows how the AI unit scans his surroundings, so even while standing still he can detect enemies at pretty wide range.

Next he's paralyzed as I teleport in different parts of his FOV. At the very edge it takes longer for him to spot me. (At 50 degrees he did eventually, although the video cuts before it.) And unless I'm very close to the center (within about 20°), he simply can't even recognize me as an enemy, i.e. the knowsAbout value doesn't get high enough.

Obviously, if he weren't petrified, he would get "suspicious" and focus on me to try to identify.

Of course, this doesn't change the fact that AI can act superhuman, especially with wrong skill settings.

• Like 2

AI's field of view is only 120 degrees, but they turn their head a lot, and it doesn't seem to matter if you're right in front or in the edge of the fov. But it's still not exactly 360.

the explain how they spot a player which just stood up from behind the cover while they are running away and instantly turn around 180 degrees and manage to quick aim? Been in this situation so many times that I find it weird that some people still do not know about it. It is only possible if they have 360 view. It may not trigger all time, but it always triggers if you behind AI backs and try to aim at them. They suddenly turn around and head shot you.

• Like 1

the explain how they spot a player which just stood up from behind the cover while they are running away and instantly turn around 180 degrees and manage to quick aim? Been in this situation so many times that I find it weird that some people still do not know about it. It is only possible if they have 360 view. It may not trigger all time, but it always triggers if you behind AI backs and try to aim at them. They suddenly turn around and head shot you.

It might be a bug. Or someone on the same team sees you, and because they all share the same target knowledge, the one facing away immediately knows he has a LOS to you, so he turns and shoots.

The reaction is especially fast if they've already seen you before.

I personally have never seen them spot me directly behind them, unless they hear me. And haven't been able to reproduce this in testing either. But as we all know, anything is possible in Arma. :D

You will need to make a reproducable scenario in the editor, because there are many factors that could properly explain this, things like team information sharing, them hearing you because you are very close or the AI having spotted you before and then attacking the position they estimated you to be in based on your last know heading and speed, and you being predictable.

• Like 1

I remember aiming at AI for long periods of time waiting for clearance to shoot him in various situations, and i never had the AI suddenly turn and shoot. So i have very hard time believing you.

By the way, thanks to the new setSpeciality command, the mission maker can now fix the supposed T-1000 spotting skills:

:D

• Like 1

I'm gonna have to take some of that back. The target's position definitely has an effect on spotting.

The lines represent the sides and center of the 120 degree FOV.

The first part shows how the AI unit scans his surroundings, so even while standing still he can detect enemies at pretty wide range.

Next he's paralyzed as I teleport in different parts of his FOV. At the very edge it takes longer for him to spot me. (At 50 degrees he did eventually, although the video cuts before it.) And unless I'm very close to the center (within about 20°), he simply can't even recognize me as an enemy, i.e. the knowsAbout value doesn't get high enough.

Obviously, if he weren't petrified, he would get "suspicious" and focus on me to try to identify.

Of course, this doesn't change the fact that AI can act superhuman, especially with wrong skill settings.

As I've been playing especially as of late, the A3 AI does seem to be not so bad, and I actually have noted that there is a bizarre and proportionate downgrade in how "cheaty" the AI seems, the better your system performs.

In A2 you could run at a 90 degree angle at a not-inconsiderable, yet not insanely far distance and the AI would pretty much pick up on you as if you weren't a peripheral artifact in their field of view. 

I've tried some terrains that run a bit better on my system and the AI does seem to manifest AI settings, especially downgraded AI settings better than if performance is not so good.

I'm not sure why this is, but whenever I'm experiencing poor performance the AI seems to be less encumbered by stat decreases unless you just make them completely blind and retarded, it seems as if there is little middle ground.

By the way, thanks to the new setSpeciality command,

Can you point the way to the documentation on this? Cant find anything and I'd love to play around with this

Can you point the way to the documentation on this? Cant find anything and I'd love to play around with this

Only on dev branch currently. Some info: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/151099-scripting-discussion-dev-branch/page-42#entry2979428

IIRC:

unit setSpeciality ["camouflageCoef",0.2];
Other specialties:

Medic (bool), Engineer (bool), Pyrotechnic (bool), UavHacker (bool), CamouflageCoef (float),  AudibleCoef (float), FatigueCoef (float)

Defaults for coefficients are 1.

There's also a command to retrieve the current value: unit getSpeciality "audiblecoef"

• Like 3

Only on dev branch currently. Some info: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/151099-scripting-discussion-dev-branch/page-42#entry2979428

IIRC:

Other specialties:

Medic (bool), Engineer (bool), Pyrotechnic (bool), UavHacker (bool), CamouflageCoef (float),  AudibleCoef (float), FatigueCoef (float)

There's also a command to retrieve the current value: unit getSpeciality "audiblecoef"

WoW... finally effective camo!!

Thanks for sharing greenfist!

IIRC:

Other specialties:

Awesome!

One question: Will it also get implemented to objects? Like that you can add the var to addons etc? And how about woodland cammo in the dessert?

If its a global-counting var then it doesn't really make sense, does it?

Not going to lie, AI accuracy is unreal at some point but it's a Military Sim game, it's going to be heard. You gotta learn to be stealthy at times.

For multiplayer servers read the rules, and watch some videos of others playing these gamemodes and get a clue on what to do, and also make some friends. Teamspeak is a very useful tool that many servers use for people to talk in. For singleplayer all I can say is make the difficulty lower and also if you are doing long range then there is bullet drop so keep that in mind.