Has someone tried to

add ALL the islands of

arma on ONE map??

I know there is "Kosmos" but i would

like to have ALL the worlds/islands

on one map..

• Like 1

If we added ALL the maps into one map, it would at least take one hour to load the editor...

• Like 1

If we added ALL the maps into one map, it would at least take one hour to load the editor...

Yeah-and could you imagine the performance impact? i know a few people toyed with the idea of adding two maps together-like being able to fly from Altis to Stratis etc, but nothing came of it I believe.

As the above post showed-the M.S.K.E thing did work well,but I think it is the only example-and they are not the biggest Islands by any means.

Anyway-adding all Islands would not make sense,especially as many have land borders. I suppose you could try adding Chernarus to Bystrica and and Bukovina as they look the same,or something like Altis and Stratis,but how would you connect Takistan to Chernaus for example-it would be too weird.

OP-What is "Kosmos"? I can see it is something to do with A3 life,but there is not much info.

• Like 2

OP-What is "Kosmos"? I can see it is something to do with A3 life,but there is not much info.

Kosmos is/was one of the MANW competitors. A mod that simulated space flight where you could fly into the space from one map and land on another if I remember correctly. Dont know if its still in development and what kind of magic it used, but have not heard anything about it for ages.

To the question of having all the ARMA maps in one, my take is that the current engine could not handle it. The OFP islands were small enough that they could be joined as one big map when Arma increased the map size compared to OFP, but the current maps are already near the limits of quality terrain formations and size. To my knowledge you could in theory add all the heightmaps in Terrain Builder if you had them and edit them all together, but the map you would get would lose a lot of its details, like small hills could become flatlands and so on once combined terrain would be generated.

• Like 1

Yea, i need to teach my brain NOT to have to

ambitious ideas...

IF it were possible the borderles "islands" could be placed

at the top or sides of the "map"...

But seperated ofc by sea. As all "islands" should be seperated.

But i think the maps should only contain ArmA BI islands as in

Sarahani, Cherna, Taki, Altis, Stratis and the smaller in the middle.

And the originals only...

vbs3 has multimaps (i think its called) would be AWESOME if we had something like that for arma 3 but i have doubts that would ever happen...

• Like 1

Hello, i am a bit late to this topic but right the same idea on my mind... what i found http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27871this guy maked 2800km x 2800km terrain.. It works.. i mean poor quali but it works. Now a new question to this topic:

Would it be possible to get this maps into Arma 2 or even Arma 1 and then to put them together? If we do'nt care about the grafiks quality but much more about the engine to become higher fps cuz of A2-A1 engine on - for example my i7 core? B.t.w., we can take only A2 maps, maybe all from All in Arma pack http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26682. So what you think?

And what's the problem if you take on Takistan airfield a plane and fly to Chernarus airfield? Why not?! If there is a bigger distance, for realistic enjoi.

Hello, i am a bit late to this topic but right the same idea on my mind... what i found http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27871this guy maked 2800km x 2800km terrain.. It works.. i mean poor quali but it works. Now a new question to this topic:

Would it be possible to get this maps into Arma 2 or even Arma 1 and then to put them together? If we do'nt care about the grafiks quality but much more about the engine to become higher fps cuz of A2-A1 engine on - for example my i7 core? B.t.w., we can take only A2 maps, maybe all from All in Arma pack http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26682. So what you think?

And what's the problem if you take on Takistan airfield a plane and fly to Chernarus airfield? Why not?! If there is a bigger distance, for realistic enjoi.

DId you read the whole description?

"2800km x 2800km works very bad (but it works), the texture is ULTRA LOW quality, it feels you have a 800 ping (and that even in SP/Editor), you can not look around properly without feeling you have 800 ping, if you walk, you stuck almost every meter and if you walk forward, you walk automatically to left or right direction, your weapon is shaking heavy in all direction. this size works but it is not enjoyable."

Is what he said, so while it loads in the engine, it is not actually playable. So I would say that in Arma engine its not possible to make larger than ~200km2 maps and they are not that well suited for ground operations because the lack of terrain details. Arma has huge maps already, but making even bigger ones would require different methods than what are used now.

• Like 1

DId you read the whole description?

"2800km x 2800km works very bad (but it works), the texture is ULTRA LOW quality, it feels you have a 800 ping (and that even in SP/Editor), you can not look around properly without feeling you have 800 ping, if you walk, you stuck almost every meter and if you walk forward, you walk automatically to left or right direction, your weapon is shaking heavy in all direction. this size works but it is not enjoyable."

Is what he said, so while it loads in the engine, it is not actually playable. So I would say that in Arma engine its not possible to make larger than ~200km2 maps and they are not that well suited for ground operations because the lack of terrain details. Arma has huge maps already, but making even bigger ones would require different methods than what are used now.

i guess it's my english.. what i mean: Theoretically, is it possible to retexture the maps down to for example Arma: Armed Assult, so they dont need so much power cuz of low texture? This guy tryed the 2800km2 on Arma 3 engine, what if i try this large terrain on A:AA engine with powerfull cpu?

Why am i asking and not trying it, cuz i dont know about moding and building terrain in Arma and about the whole Arma engine.. so sry if it's a kind stupid question.. i am just a normal Arma player with my next dream after Arma 3 was realised. Thanks for answering.

i guess it's my english.. what i mean: Theoretically, is it possible to retexture the maps down to for example Arma: Armed Assult, so they dont need so much power cuz of low texture? This guy tryed the 2800km2 on Arma 3 engine, what if i try this large terrain on A:AA engine with powerfull cpu?

Why am i asking and not trying it, cuz i dont know about moding and building terrain in Arma and about the whole Arma engine.. so sry if it's a kind stupid question.. i am just a normal Arma player with my next dream after Arma 3 was realised. Thanks for answering.

I would say it would not work any better. The map core mechanics are still same as with A1 and A2. The problem is not the new shiny graphics stuff but just the vast size of the huge map. 

• Like 1

I would say it would not work any better. The map core mechanics are still same as with A1 and A2. The problem is not the new shiny graphics stuff but just the vast size of the huge map. 

Exactly-and as well as the size of the maps, you have to consider the amount of object like houses,trees, roads etc that would be contained in one of these giant maps. If you look at a map like the Mach Loop- http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=29630

something like this can be done for large maps for pilots to enjoy, because this map has no ground objects except at the airport. SO it is fine from the air, but on the ground it is simply a google earth texture.

• Like 2

Two words...

Procedural Generation

Game: No Mans Sky

What if ArmA3 could utilize that in creating

the worlds/islands/maps only...

Theres a thread on another forum about the concept.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1093265/pg1

Its in the games section.

Sure why not, but that is if Arma engine ever utilizes any form of PG.

• Like 1

Two words...

Procedural Generation

Game: No Mans Sky

What if ArmA3 could utilize that in creating

the worlds/islands/maps only...

Theres a thread on another forum about the concept.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1093265/pg1

Its in the games section.

I don't think PG would work well in Arma. While it does have benefits-especially taking load off CPU's , I don't think a procedural terrain would be good tactically. Military success comes from a firm knowledge of the terrain around you-detailed maps,recon etc. now if that terrain does not yet exist...that would cause problems.

• Like 1

Well, as they say, Its all in the rules.

Lets say you create a map, without

items on it. Basicly a satmask only.

Set the rules as to only generate

roads, forests, houses and other

items in a "pre set" system.

The world would only exist in a

wierd thought experiment, untill

you hit START.