DSabre

North American T-28 Trojan

This addon is now part of a larger mod. See my signature.

• Like 8

Interesting aircraft, practical for Stratis 

I'd really like to get feedback on this one- especially for balancing for CAS and dogfighting. I have trouble taking out my An-2 with it, but maybe that is just me.

Happy for any kind of footage/screenshots etc.

The pilot and copilot won't be able to changes seats during flight in later versions, that is for easy testing purposes.

The sights are off, it is not much fun to adjust that properly. Also they are different depending what weapon is activated.

Finally I actually plan on trying my luck with proper materials to give it some bumb mapping. At least have a few rivets generate shadows.

Don't know how to do that yet so it will take time.

Looks great! I always wanted more small planes in Arma.I read that USSOCOM are looking at this style of plane and things like the Texan-II for providing CAS to Special Operations groups. i think these suit the smaller spaces in Arma better than 4th or 5th Gen supersonic jets-they are just to fast in my opinion.Great job :)

thank you, Glad it is useful.

Actually it is quite large though. When I put a seat and a pilot in it the first time I was like wtf, is the scale totally off?

Eventually I realised it's a two seater too . )

• Like 1

i saw someone working on an A-29 somewhere-was that you?Can't find it now...

Looks great! I always wanted more small planes in Arma.I read that USSOCOM are looking at this style of plane and things like the Texan-II for providing CAS to Special Operations groups. i think these suit the smaller spaces in Arma better than 4th or 5th Gen supersonic jets-they are just to fast in my opinion.Great job :)

Thats true, the F16 can reach any point on the island within 2mins, still, the 4 and 5th gen jets are great eye candy 

• Like 1

Have you swallowed a whole modeling studio ? I'm very impressed by your productivity and the amount and diversity of planes released :)

• Like 4

Interesting aircraft, practical for Stratis 

.......and Tanoa  ;)

• Like 1

i saw someone working on an A-29 somewhere-was that you?Can't find it now...

I think there is a Super Tucano in the Brazilian Armed Forces mod which has been out for a bit.

• Like 1

Compared to the An-2 there's a higher max speed and higher rate of climb, so what's your in-game issue with taking on your An-2 in your T-28? As for CAS, you already acknowledged the sighting so I'll leave that for now and highlight the three main things I noticed:

• you configured the T-28 (CAS) for half the rocket capacity that's modeled,
  • the co-pilot's rear seating area is nigh-nonexistent and there's thusfar nothing for them to do besides Mk1 Eyeball observing and "Take controls",
  • after doing an Immelmann turn I had to continually apply rudder/trim to a surprising (subjective) extent in attempting to stay lined up for a gun run due to how much the aircraft nose continually drifted in the horizontal
  • why did you put a Starter Pistol and its ammunition from the Karts DLC in the aircraft inventory?

If we may not expect a loadout editor then may we expect additional options such as the B-8 rocket pods in the fourth-from-top screenshot?

hi guys, thx for the feedback!

Model studio: yes sort of, it's Helijah who made over ...... let's say... a lot of airplanes and he is ok with me porting some of them to arma.

The initial port as far as this is comparably quick. Getting all the details done for the final version will probably take a few months from now (balancing, bump mapping, cockpit details, improving shadow/geo/fireLOD)

Skyraider: If I had a model of one with absolutely clear license and confirmation from the original author like here I would probably have a go at it. but sadly we do not have.

thx chortles, that is the kind of feedback I wanted:

Rockets: I don't know the number of rockets this aircraft carried yet. And not even the type of pod. Hope someone here can enlighten me.

Copilot: His workplace is actually more or less finished. Expect it in 1 week or so. But he won't get any target pointers or anything else. So yes, basically sitting there and being able to take over in need.

Flightmodel: I gave it slightly more power, as I found it a bit weak in extended dogfighting. Constantly on the stall while turning.

The rudder influence is now slightly increased, as well as elevator. Not sure how to fix the drift yet without hurting other things again.

Starter Pistol: I might try to rename that gun to flare gun. That's what I use it for - as survival kit so someone can pick me up when the plane has a mishap.

Yes, no loadout editors from me. Additional loadouts? Probably at a later time (depending if someone can give me info about what kind of loadouts would make sense).

Also because the LGB don't make so much sense too. They're a placeholder. I will exchange those with some simpler ones.

The B8/S8? It's taken off the Su-34. I could add it to the Opfor version, good idea!

Additionally what I found meanwhile:

- I found the setting to up the firing rate of the 4 guns. It was still the single setting. So it fires 4 times as fast now.

- The ammocount is counted for all 4. So i will probably increase it to 300 per gun at least? 1200 - 2000 total maybe.

- I will add the settings for TrackIR support from Feint. All non TrackIR users may have to be careful not to twist their necks too much.

• Like 3

thx chortles, that is the kind of feedback I wanted:

Rockets: I don't know the number of rockets this aircraft carried yet. And not even the type of pod. Hope someone here can enlighten me.

Copilot: His workplace is actually more or less finished. Expect it in 1 week or so. But he won't get any target pointers or anything else. So yes, basically sitting there and being able to take over in need.

Flightmodel: I gave it slightly more power, as I found it a bit weak in extended dogfighting. Constantly on the stall while turning.

The rudder influence is now slightly increased, as well as elevator. Not sure how to fix the drift yet without hurting other things again.

As far as the rockets, I'm just going by the rocket count that you modeled on the pods, not what was possible IRL... for the latter, here's a glimpse at the possible stores for the former USAF T-28As converted for French use as the T-28S Fennec (sometimes called T-28F), and at its cockpit.

I also found a T-28B/C manual (higher-hp engine, three-blade propeller, belly-mounted speed brake, and on the latter a tailhook) from 1966 via Google, specifying .50-cal gun pods (100 rounds each), practice bomb racks, or three-training-rocket launchers on its two wing stations. However, it also specified that certain modified T-28Cs had six wing stations (preceding the T-28D?) and supported live weapons such as the seven-rocket launcher modeled on Bohemia's A-10 and Harrier (inner or middle stations only), the 5-inch HVAR, the AN-M30 100 lb general purpose bomb, and the AN-M1A2 and AN-M28A2 cluster bombs, with the gun pods being supported on the innermost stations.

Unfortunate to hear re: the flight model/drift, and indeed I faced plenty of stall when attempting an Immelmann (before eventually leveling out to gain speed enough to make the turn, if I recall correctly I had to do so at 300+ km/h) but I'll appreciate any improvements on the drifting.

Finally, you might want to just add the Starter Pistol and ammunition to the crew -- the former can't be moved from vehicle to player inventory without the Karts DLC -- or give them chemlights.

• after doing an Immelmann turn I had to continually apply rudder/trim to a surprising (subjective) extent in attempting to stay lined up for a gun run due to how much the aircraft nose continually drifted in the horizontal

I may not be understanding your post completely, but...  After doing an Immelmann, it's normal to need a boot-load of right pedal through the top of the loop and then needing to reduce it as airspeed increases.  I wouldn't be surprised if A3 has it modeled incorrectly, but just offering that as a data point.  Slow airspeed and lots of power = lots of right pedal in a high-Tq aircraft.  Then as airspeed increases, pedal comes out.

Thx for all the input Chortles. I have taken notes of it and some of it will be added in the future.

The flight model is going to be WIP for a while too. Don't get to used to it : )

Currently I am playing around with thrustCoeff values which help a lot, but now it can go up at 90° like a jet :S

Sorry if I sound a bit greedy and ungrateful,don`t mean that,what about a A-4 Skyhawk?  If you could get a co-op going with Brazilian mod maker that is currently busy with a F-5 and wanted to help with their Skyhawk model,maybe the accept some help with it?

Sorry if I sound a bit greedy and ungrateful,don`t mean that,what about a A-4 Skyhawk?  If you could get a co-op going with Brazilian mod maker that is currently busy with a F-5 and wanted to help with their Skyhawk model,maybe the accept some help with it?

Please don't post request for addons in an addon makers thread, addon requests belong here: (https://forums.bistudio.com/forum/155-arma-3-addons-mods-discussion/)

• Like 1

tx roadkill : )

and i will bookmark that link lol. getting so many requests per forums/armaholic/steam..

and yes john1, A4 is a nice plane but I am really busy with my own projects.

I am sure it will find it's way into A3 eventually.

• Like 1

About the Trojan;  It would make a perfect CAS-spotter plane with some Smoke marker rockets!!  FAC-duties is one of the primary roles for this aircraft.

If you can add a menu option that is essential for Instructor/Student pilot,that is some ability to have the instructor hold down a key,and add input to what a  student is inputting with his joystick,to prevent a new pilot to become on with the ground.

Off course,if you could add a ability to train formation flying, by being able to spawn a plane that flies it`s own track,it will come in handy.

An an other thing ; Could you add a "hidden compartment" into it?  A hatch that can be opend and where we could play a sabotage mission and put a Claymore inside there?

In case some want to play out the Raid on Pebble Island in `80s war Falklands Island.

A ghile suit,boonie hat and a more inclusive survival gear could come handy.  An inflateable life-vest and a kit for survival,like in A2-ACE would be perfect for this plane.

But I think ,this plane will be more of a trainer and fly for fun,than actually for combat. What i lacks is something that makes it truly

come into it`s use as a workhorse. Arty spotter plane?

If you are looking for work later on,we would`t mind if someone made a BAC Strikemaster or a Cessna A-37 Dragonfly. ;) Thanks for a great plane in Arma 3.