Private Evans

Arma4 or merging new tech into Arma 3 platform ?

I was wondering if BI will merge new/more tech from the currently developed enfusion engine into the Arma 3Platform over the next years, bringing new platform updates, new features, resources and maps or start working on an Arma 4 engine based on the enfusion engine behind the scenes for the next full game realease which would be then Arma 4?

I am talking about stuff like the new skeleton, new animations system, new player controls, inventory, UI and features like melee combat, advanced medic system, advanced radio chat advanced vehicle damage and repair etc etc which is all being made for DayZ.

I personally would prefer them to do the first. Instead of working on a new game, new setting and campaign better improve the existing platform.There are so many existing projects that would benfit from such a strategy like Black Powder mod, Napoleon Wars, Blood Trenches, WWII Chronicles and Hell in the Pacific, Unsung Vietnam, Rhodesia Bush Wars and even scifi stuff like Halo and Star Treck mods...not forget to mention all the cold war and modern warfare stuff and units. ...with and without Zombies.

So my wish...give us an even more amazing platform and sandbox to mod and play with than we we've even got right now...we do not need a new setting or huge singleplayer campaign but improved  tech in some areas and more resources, functions and features...mini or small coop campaigns or showcase missions could come withe bigger updates and/or new maps...

just my thoughts :)

I assume at minimum they're sticking with ArmA III's engine, and taking any ideas from other projects into consideration.

I also think it's too early to talk about ArmA IV. I know the last time BI talked about it - it was before ArmA III launched - that it might be a 2017 project. The fact they've said nothing about it now confirms it's a long way off.

As an aside, has BI ever confirmed if the Apex is the last major update coming to ArmA III? ArmA II was supported with official content, DLCs, and expansion from launch to 2012, which was about four years, and some of that came out after the expansion did. I was curious if III will get similar support.

Probably both will happen.

Regarding A4 just look at the last 15 Years: Game Release -> 2 Years of Updates -> Major Expansion -> 2 Years of Updates -> Next Game.

That procedure happend with OFP, A1, A2 and now A3. So if APEX comes this Fall, we can only expect to see A4 around fall 2018 (and I perfectly fine with that).

And regarding the merging of tech: It already happens! For example the geometric occluders from the DayZ development just went into A3 devbranch. I belive this will also happen with other tech that can be "easily" adapted to A3. 

• Like 2

I assume at minimum they're sticking with ArmA III's engine, and taking any ideas from other projects into consideration.

I also think it's too early to talk about ArmA IV. I know the last time BI talked about it - it was before ArmA III launched - that it might be a 2017 project. The fact they've said nothing about it now confirms it's a long way off.

As an aside, has BI ever confirmed if the Apex is the last major update coming to ArmA III? ArmA II was supported with official content, DLCs, and expansion from launch to 2012, which was about four years, and some of that came out after the expansion did. I was curious if III will get similar support.

Yes, BI confirmed Arma 3 will have a total of 5 years support while ago. However as of recent, continued to reiterate that there are no current plans to undertake Arma 4, and will continue to support Arma 3. I don't mind. I would love to see a number of projects from Dayz reach Arma 3, such as the advanced renders, and ability to pick up items with your bare hands and move them.

Probably both will happen.

Regarding A4 just look at the last 15 Years: Game Release -> 2 Years of Updates -> Major Expansion -> 2 Years of Updates -> Next Game.

That procedure happend with OFP, A1, A2 and now A3. So if APEX comes this Fall, we can only expect to see A4 around fall 2018 (and I perfectly fine with that).

And regarding the merging of tech: It already happens! For example the geometric occluders from the DayZ development just went into A3 devbranch. I belive this will also happen with other tech that can be "easily" adapted to A3.

In this regard, I highly doubt the cloud tech from Dayz made it into Arma 3, in fact it's the other way around. SimulWeather TrueSKY being used in A3 since its inception, has been transferred to DayZ.

In this regard, I highly doubt the cloud tech from Dayz made it into Arma 3, in fact it's the other way around. SimulWeather TrueSKY being used in A3 since its inception, has been transferred to DayZ.

He wrote Geometric occluders not clouds.

This, actually -- the official Twitter account confirmed that Arma 3 is staying on RV4, whatever improvements they might have gotten from DayZ and Enfusion (apparently separate projects within BI) but the extent thereof is far less than in DayZ (i.e. where the lead producer can talk about all actions being rewritten for EnScript instead of SQF).

Cant they implement the new renderer from dayz into arma 3's engine?

I suppose they could, since the engines are close enough... But we don't even know what the new DayZ Render does yet, no footage has yet been leaked. All we know is it supposedly allows 100 FPS in Urban Area's.

• Like 2

Honestly, I'd love to see them add support for the new scripting language that is being developed with the enfusion engine. They could maintain backwards compatibility with sqf, but for missions and mods that took advantage of enscript, I suspect it would have a notable performance improvement.

I doubt it would ever happen though, as it is low-level engine changes, and they've said in the past, they won't be getting that deep into the engine with arma 3.

DX-12 ?  That is up for release very soon....that may work alot in A-3.

"The Tanoa expansion promises greater visuals and optimization in conjunction with DirectX 12, as well as offering a full content pack of weapons, vehicles, and factions. The upcoming Arma 3 expansion is slated for an early 2016 release."

I suppose they could, since the engines are close enough... But we don't even know what the new DayZ Render does yet, no footage has yet been leaked. All we know is it supposedly allows 100 FPS in Urban Area's.

Hopefully it fixes the 30-40 fps in all towns,city's. same thing happening with arma 3. 

Hopefully it fixes the 30-40 fps in all towns,city's. same thing happening with arma 3. 

I would go too long on this thread, but dx12 is not silver lining your guys are expecting.Check other directX12 thread on why.

Since it has 30 pages, here is good place to start https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/165063-direcxtx-12-for-arma-3/page-25

Highly doubt it's the exact same issue. Remember, DayZ not only has large amount of detailed enter able structures, but it also has object loot spawn, both which could heavily effect performance. Where as Arma 3... No furniture. However, when more details are revealed on that matter, then we can have a decent discussion on the benefits it would have for the Arma series, if any at all.

I personally would like to see an Arma 4 developed. Arma 3 is starting to reach its 'older days' and I wouldn't expect it to be developed much more.

What's about the new skeleton and animation system that comes with the enfusion engine. Would love to see that implemented :)

Honestly, I'd love to see them add support for the new scripting language that is being developed with the enfusion engine.

Honestly, rather than embracing the NIH syndrome even more, let's just use - just this one time - something actually sane. You know - like LUA/Python/Perl/C++/..

Even better, let's make an official C/C++ based API for the engine and build scripting support on top of it, for whatever language one's heart desires - even SQF. The community could even do it! BI wouldn't have to spend development time implementing basic language features (Christ, SQF doesn't even have '+=') and could spend the extra time on something more productive.

Oh boy, wouldn't that be great?

(Probably not going to happen, though.) :(