Sign in to follow this  
germanske_norge

Arma 3 ported to Mac?

Did Arma 3 recently get ported to Mac? I noticed recently that I could install Arma 3 on my IMac 2015 desktop computer, but when I checked in the store it's for windows only. However it's showing up in my Mac only game filter library and I'm able to install it, looks like I won't have to run bootcamp on my Mac again to play it, I wonder how crappy the Mac port is though if it exists, then again I wonder if it will run better since I'm not running it off 1/2 of my hard-drive anymore.

This had me so confused! At first, I saw that with Steam installed on my Mac, I could click Play on Arma 3. Wow! That's amazing. So I downloaded it.

Tried to play, but it said the game wasn't in my library. Frustrating. So then I realized that the reason it let me install the game was so that it could also install some of the Digital Bonuses (eg Digital Strategy Guide and Music). It needs the whole game installed in order to install these things I guess.

So I had given up hope that it was a port and was going to look into dual-booting my Macbook.

But now I may not have to!!

This had me so confused! At first, I saw that with Steam installed on my Mac, I could click Play on Arma 3. Wow! That's amazing. So I downloaded it.

Tried to play, but it said the game wasn't in my library. Frustrating. So then I realized that the reason it let me install the game was so that it could also install some of the Digital Bonuses (eg Digital Strategy Guide and Music). It needs the whole game installed in order to install these things I guess.

So I had given up hope that it was a port and was going to look into dual-booting my Macbook.

But now I may not have to!!

I've been running boot camp on my IMac 2015 to run this game for several months, I actually ran it extremely well for a hard five that was essentially split in half, I could get about 40 FPS in multiplayer on high settings, however I'm absolutely terrified to see how this runs on Mac, since I know it's a test build and every single Mac port of any game I've ever played has always ran at a lower graphical setting notch and at less frames than when I played it on the Windows portion of my hard drive

I loaded it up last night on a MacBook Pro - with pretty good specs too - but yeah it quickly pushed my poor thing to the limit. No post-processing effects were enabled by default, but I didn't try to change anything.

After only a minute or two just making sure it loaded without issue, I got the impression that it would run on Medium settings at 1440 without too many problems. I'm mostly using it for testing Coop maps though so I don't need spot on performance.

I played on my Mac arms 2 via bootcamp. It was terrible because I only got like 20fps. :) and the Mac gets really hot too. I would recommend buying an extra fan for your Mac.

I played on my Mac arms 2 via bootcamp. It was terrible because I only got like 20fps. :) and the Mac gets really hot too. I would recommend buying an extra fan for your Mac.

I would recommend getting a proper CPU and/or GPU for that matter. Actually get a proper computer:

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/03/palmer-luckey-on-why-theres-no-oculus-rift-for-mac/

• Like 1

this is about A3 that runs natively on OSX, not via bootcamp on an apple device.

• Like 2