dr. hladik

New command createObject for decorative objects

I have a few questions regarding this new command -

I recall on the first post a BI developer said that the new objects will be -  Not an interesting Object for Ai -

Does this mean that these objects can Not be added to a units Near Target Array?

I hear that the objects will be indestructible, no animations -

Will these objects actually show the impact visuals from being hit by bullets and will they deflect hand thrown objects? (impact visuals meaning the small bullet impact animations).

Do these objects actually have collision for player controlled units?

Tia :)

I have a few questions regarding this new command -

I recall on the first post a BI developer said that the new objects will be -  Not an interesting Object for Ai -

Does this mean that these objects can Not be added to a units Near Target Array?

You can check this by spawning some of these objects next to an ai unit and diag_logging their nearTargets array

diag_log str (cursorTarget nearTargets 1000);

If you want to add them, then get the array, and use pushBack or similar.  (I would have thought it's a waste of time though.  Either the AI is aware of them or they aren't)  Feel free to do some tests though.

1.57.134783 changelog

•Tweaked: Renamed createObject to createSimpleObject, animationSelectionNames to selectionNames and hideAnimationSelection to hideSelection

just for some who missed it

You can check this by spawning some of these objects next to an ai unit and diag_logging their nearTargets array

diag_log str (cursorTarget nearTargets 1000);

If you want to add them, then get the array, and use pushBack or similar.  (I would have thought it's a waste of time though.  Either the AI is aware of them or they aren't)  Feel free to do some tests though.

Thanks das attorney

I will run a few tests then, I just thought maybe some of this stuff was already known.

Hopefully the objects do not get added to their NearTargets array, at least for me this could help reduce possible script lag where my scripts use NearTargets for units in areas that have thousands of objects.

Have I missed something?

animationSelectionNames   no loner seems to be a valid command, has it been removed?

Have I missed something?

animationSelectionNames   no loner seems to be a valid command, has it been removed?

It's now selectionNames

Thanks  any idea what happened to hideAnimationSelection again it's missing.

never mind it's hideselection   now.

selectiontNames seems to have been missed off the new commands list.

Thanks  any idea what happened to hideAnimationSelection again it's missing.

never mind it's hideselection   now.

selectiontNames seems to have been missed off the new commands list.

createSimpleObject https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/createSimpleObject

selectionNames https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/selectionNames

animationNames https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/animationNames

hideSelection https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/hideSelection

Thanks, I usually look here first but only Animationnames is in the new commands list, it's hard to search for something when you don't know the name of the command.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Arma_3:_New_Scripting_Commands_List

Also help F1  in the game is still using the old script names as the example.

Thanks, I usually look here first but only Animationnames is in the new commands list, it's hard to search for something when you don't know the name of the command.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Arma_3:_New_Scripting_Commands_List

Also help F1  in the game is still using the old script names as the example.

You might want to PM https://forums.bistudio.com/user/739057-tom-48-97-%E2%98%A0/ about it

Any chance we could get setobjecttexture support for this command? I know the hidden selection are defined in the config but maybe allow for a selection name instead of the index?

• Like 1

Is this command fully operational?

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/createSimpleObject

wiki states:

Creates object with given shape defined as path to .p3d model. The object will not be simulated, i.e. no PhysX, no sounds, no interest for AI targeting. Such limitations allow to create global decorative objects with very little network traffic. Simple object cannot be destroyed.

But the objects do have some degree of physx. For instance collisions with vehicles, and AI navigate around the object.

Is this command fully operational?

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/createSimpleObject

wiki states:

But the objects do have some degree of physx. For instance collisions with vehicles, and AI navigate around the object.

could be cool to have those two things disabled but as optional parameters. so ideally it would be possible to create a model that is almost as simple as a particle...OR...remove the forced random rotation for space object particles and let us set our own. that would be soooo bad ass and useful.

No chance to "createSimpleObject" directly checking an option case in the 3DEN object attributes? I mean this could be handy to have this functionality in editor.

Now that would be slick! Logical step after compositions, to choose whether physx apply to objects placed in Eden

The wiki page for createSimpleObject says it supports textures but in what form? Just that it is created with a texture or is it supposed to support setObjectTextures?

Dev log says things like...

Added: Support for coloring Simple Objects in Eden Editor by a different color

Added: Support for Simple Object custom / variation textures (placed Simple Objects will now have their textures properly set)

Added: Support for retexturing simple objects

Placing any helper object in Eden which are now set as simpleObjects as default makes them all spawn in a translucent red.

I can see the Edit attribute "Object Specific - Object Arrow (#)" with a "texture #0" filled with a procedural texture "#(argb,8,8,3)color(0,1,0,0.75,ca)" but this make no difference to the object.

Naming the object(arrow1) and trying something like

arrow1 setObjectTexturesGlobal [0,"#(argb,8,8,3)color(0,1,0,0.75)"]
from the debug console has no effect either.

So what is the supported texturing with these simpleObjects?

The wiki page for createSimpleObject says it supports textures but in what form? Just that it is created with a texture or is it supposed to support setObjectTextures?

Dev log says things like...

Added: Support for coloring Simple Objects in Eden Editor by a different color

Added: Support for Simple Object custom / variation textures (placed Simple Objects will now have their textures properly set)

Added: Support for retexturing simple objects

Placing any helper object in Eden which are now set as simpleObjects as default makes them all spawn in a translucent red.

I can see the Edit attribute "Object Specific - Object Arrow (#)" with a "texture #0" filled with a procedural texture "#(argb,8,8,3)color(0,1,0,0.75,ca)" but this make no difference to the object.

Naming the object(arrow1) and trying something like

arrow1 setObjectTexturesGlobal [0,"#(argb,8,8,3)color(0,1,0,0.75)"]
from the debug console has no effect either.

So what is the supported texturing with these simpleObjects?

You need to use classname instead of model path and position ASL instead of position World, then you can texture object. This command is still WIP though.

You need to use classname instead of model path and position ASL instead of position World, then you can texture object. This command is still WIP though.

Ok, so does that mean they have botched the integration into stable then? As anything checked as simpleObject in Eden will not texture using setObjectTexture for me.

If this is still WIP and obviously is not working correctly, as explained above for helpers objects, why incorporated it into stable Eden.

@KK, Larrow is talking about objects drug and droped in eden editor.

It looks like inside eden "simulation" (which is not same as mission simulation) there are, engine side implemented, means to paint "simple" objects.

While in actual mission it is impossible to do so, because, apperently, mission simulation use setObjectTexture/setObjectTextureGlobal mechanics to do the job. Those commands (mechanics behind them) are not working for simple objects in mission simulation yet, but BIS already implemented a way to paint simple objects, in eden. So I am sure, soon, setObjectTexture/setObjectTextureGlobal will be updated and will be able to paint simple objects.

P.S. it is not only arrows (helpers). Nothing, created with createSimpleObject, is paintable. Try this for example.

obj = createSimpleObject ["A3\Signs_F\Signs_Ad\SignsAd_Sponsor_F.p3d", getPosASL Player];
obj setObjectTexture [0, "#(rgb,8,8,3)color(0,1,1,1)"];

Anyone news on this?

@mind , is it now possible in some way to paint those simpleObjects without the need of 3DEN editor?

There's no point of telling us we can createSimpleObjects from the mission if we can't texture them; right?

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, xBowBii said:

Anyone news on this?

@mind , is it now possible in some way to paint those simpleObjects without the need of 3DEN editor?

There's no point of telling us we can createSimpleObjects from the mission if we can't texture them; right?

Thanks!

You can texture them. Use the mission root path (same that you use to spawn the object) in object builder and it works fine.

9 hours ago, bloodwyn1756 said:

You can texture them. Use the mission root path (same that you use to spawn the object) in object builder and it works fine.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

10 hours ago, bloodwyn1756 said:

Have you got any tutorial to read or watch on this?

Sry that I maybe confused some people.:down:

11 hours ago, xBowBii said:

If you put a .p3d into your mission.pbo and you want to put a texture FROM that mission onto that p3d you have to adjust the texture path in object builder like this:

XxyAmWD.png

Result (no mod!)

Spoiler

I0neLkt.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, killzone_kid said:

Have you got any tutorial to read or watch on this?

hey KK

One thing that would really help for Simple Objects, is an ASLToWorld model offset config value, so we can use setPosWorld reliably with simple objects.

example:

class CfgVehicles {
	 class Land_Crane_F {
		model = "a3\structures_f\ind\crane\crane_f.p3d";
		modelWorldOffset = 18.2867;
	 };
};

Creating and setting the world position of simple objects is a pain in the ass at the moment, and I've resorted to using a namespace conversion table for the Z offset.

Here is roughly how to derive the data (thanks Sa-Matra for the help)

_object = "Land_Crane_F" createVehicleLocal [0,0,0];
_object setDir 0;
_offset = ((getPosWorld _object) vectorDiff (getPosASL _object)) select 2;
systemChat str _offset;
comment "Save the offset data here";
deleteVehicle _object;

Illustration of the usefulness:

A: 

_obj = createSimpleObject ["a3\structures_f\ind\crane\crane_f.p3d",(position player)];

B:

_obj = createSimpleObject ["a3\structures_f\ind\crane\crane_f.p3d",(getPosASL player)];

C:

_pos = getPosATL player;
_pos set [2,18.2867]; comment "pull the z offset from config or memory here";
_pos = ATLToASL _pos;
_obj = createSimpleObject ["a3\structures_f\ind\crane\crane_f.p3d",_pos];

Left to right, A - B - C

54AACA76A497BFAD182722EFFAF9D5899B91D3C1

^ And that is using an object (player) to derive. Its even worse if we are trying to just use positions with no reference object.

This proposal would supercede (and render obsolete) https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BIS_fnc_replaceWithSimpleObject

Also once we have the config value, a getter script command would be great ;)