dr. hladik

New command createObject for decorative objects

Here are some numbers to start with.

This is actually interesting, well apart from that optimisation is aimed at Multiplayer. But yes this type of object is comparable in simulation, why would theoretically less demanding version be more demanding?

use "A3\Structures_F\Dominants\Lighthouse\LightHouse_F.p3d"

getModelInfo returns path without leading slash

This is actually interesting, well apart from that optimisation is aimed at Multiplayer. But yes this type of object is comparable in simulation, why would theoretically less demanding version be more demanding?

I assume it is because engine`s mechanics behind, are not YET optimized. And why would they? This command was just born.

Any way it is so cool that BI keep doing ARMA better year after year  :627:

Interested to see what the performance gain is re objects with enableSimulation(Global) set to false vs createObject

I assume it is because engine`s mechanics behind, are not YET optimized. And why would they? This command was just born.

Any way it is so cool that BI keep doing ARMA better year after year  :627:

Nice test, mind. Any chance to measure diff between enableSimulation false objects created with createVeh and createObj?

OMG OMG OMG! This is what I have been waiting for! Wither this command, or a drop-effect with fixed orientation!

This will be so incredible useful for further Map Builder development! The 3D editors out there won't need "editor upgrade" addons anymore as they can now use the p3ds directly! 

Still hyped!

Nice test, mind. Any chance to measure diff between enableSimulation false objects created with createVeh and createObj?

Here you go.

simulation: off 3k objects SP createObject - 14 FPS
simulation: off 3k objects SP createVehicle - 37 FPS

simulation: off 6k objects SP createObject - 7 FPS
simulation: off 6k objects SP createVehicle - 21 FPS

simulation: off 9k objects SP createVehicle - 14 FPS

Thank you for testing. This means that is really is not worth using it then.

Thank you for testing. This means that is really is not worth using it then.

At least right now. I have no doubts, this picture will change soon TM

YES! The object can be created from file in mission folder. For this the path needs to use mission root, in the same way as playSound3D uses path. This means one can include custom objects in missions without the need for full modding. This is definitely one of the game changers!

Slightly disappointing news, the textures could not be found, so the model appears textureless and error shown, no matter what I tried. Maybe this could be tweaked, I dunno, like make createObject to look in mission folder first by default so there is no need for mission root hack?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=611983589

Hi, the real benefit so far of createObject is in small object compositions, where the fps drop per object is about 2.5-3x smaller then in createVehicle with disabled simulation. I am talking about objects like:

• Land_Bench_F
  • Land_CashDesk_F
  • Land_HeatPump_F
  • Land_ChairPlastic_F
  • Land_ChairWood_F
  • Land_Icebox_F
  • Land_Metal_rack_F
  • Land_Metal_rack_Tall_F
  • Land_Metal_wooden_rack_F
  • Land_Rack_F
  • Land_ShelvesMetal_F
  • Land_ShelvesWooden_blue_F
  • Land_TableDesk_F

Note: Measured on scene with 5k objects spawned.

The MP network traffic should also be significantly lower due to the less frequent syncing.

The feature is still in development. We are aware that some objects (like buildings) currently works better with createVehicle and we will look at it.

• Like 3

Nice to hear that! I suppose that means large towns with varied building interiors (in Cryengine's terminology - prefabs assigned) won't be a problem for performance anymore.

Nice to hear that! I suppose that means large towns with varied building interiors (in Cryengine's terminology - prefabs assigned) won't be a problem for performance anymore.

The goal it to make use of 3D compositions less performance demanding, but they will still eat some of the CPU time. So I would not think about populating whole town interiors with furniture, rather create some nice compositions in the crucial mission areas.

As I said, it is still in development and testing. We are actively looking into what can be improved, what benefits it nets and what are the limits. Another area is quality of life improvements - how to make the feature widely accessible to community (integration to EDEN).

• Like 2

Is there gonna be any change to the name? Like Cuel said I think the command name might be misleading for it's purpose.

Talking about populating buildings with objects, i had an idea 1,5 years ago which may have a potential now with this new command.

Basic concept is a module which generate and destroy objects inside a building(radius, object count params). The building composition should varie by the building id as a randomization seed value. This would guarantee that if the player return, the same interior will be generated.

Talking about populating buildings with objects, i had an idea 1,5 years ago which may have a potential now with this new command.

Basic concept is a module which generate and destroy objects inside a building(radius, object count params). The building composition should varie by the building id as a randomization seed value. This would guarantee that if the player return, the same interior will be generated.

Probably not best idea, as ability to create local objects with this command is non-existent and most likely never will be added, creating hundreds of objects and deleting them for each player walking in out of the building will kill your network, because this will force create and delete packets to be send, while if you leave objects untouched, theoretically they should not create any traffic. 

• Like 1

Probably not best idea, as ability to create local objects with this command is non-existent and most likely never will be added, creating hundreds of objects and deleting them for each player walking in out of the building will kill your network, because this will force create and delete packets to be send, while if you leave objects untouched, theoretically they should not create any traffic.

I agree. Maybe if we would able to create objects locally on each client there wouldn't be any network traffic. And because the seed will be the same, the interior would be the same too.

Is this command create object on every client and synchronize it?

The one thing you can't seem to hide is the shadow,  I don't think it's always needed.

I wanted to place some missiles on a pallet, you can do this but they have the rocket trail visible and again no way to remove it.

Side note when pressing F1 for hlep on the new commands  they're a little messed up.

Some of the helps refer to the old names and put the object before the command in the example.

Thanks I was thinking more of per decorativeobject rather than everything,

Thanks I was thinking more of per decorativeobject rather than everything,

This would probably look quite weird if you can regulate shadow individually on different objects

Hmm, I wonder if you can add some kind of damage handling to this.

I'd like to know this because objects such as walls etc. don't need any animations etc, but at present they do use the full AI routine (AFAIK). However, if shot by artillery and the like, I'd still like to be able to have them destroyed.

It could be usefull for building bases. (in CTI games, for incstance)

Hmm, I wonder if you can add some kind of damage handling to this.

I'd like to know this because objects such as walls etc. don't need any animations etc, but at present they do use the full AI routine (AFAIK). However, if shot by artillery and the like, I'd still like to be able to have them destroyed.

It could be usefull for building bases. (in CTI games, for incstance)

This would require config, which defeats the purpose of decorative objects idea.

I wanted to place some missiles on a pallet, you can do this but they have the rocket trail visible and again no way to remove it.

Not even with hideAnimationSelection command?

• Like 1

Do you plan to add this to this Eden editor ? Something like a check box in object's attributs which create the object with this command instead of the usual one ?