axonmagnus

non optimal system perfomance , on an over the spec system

Greetings gentlemen , i have a rather pressing issue which truelly is a thorn on my ballz , here it goes this is my system http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/dx9qTW, and the problem is the fact that my fps is terrible for a system of this kind first . it doesnt matter if i use crossfire on or off arma 3 till not fps improvement it doesnt even use the second gpu and  second . if am running with one card the gpu usage flauates all the time its not stable at all mostly hovering aroung 45% usage and to top that off the cpu is barely getting used at all at most 45% this is terrible its the only game am having problems with

this is in multiplayer http://imgur.com/a/Hc4sh

this single player using the mission benchmark from steam workshop http://i.imgur.com/DItTjZL.jpg

and now this is single player mission http://i.imgur.com/aYx9RiE.jpg

They are pretty poor results.

Few questions. Have you tried arma development branch. Run some tests over there. They will also be running an rc branch for testing online gaming performance. I believe they have made some performance gains.

This is off topic but I got to ask about your set up. This was a good budget. You have spent more on your motherboard than the CPU??

should of been an Intel based rig. Having at least an xeon processor. Was it out of some blind amd loyalty? You probably wouldn't be making this thread. That's neither here nor there now I just wondered?

Post up your in game video settings. Might be able to help reduce some unnecessarys

What are your view distance settings in game? This affects fps more than any other setting.I run an i54690k,GTX980 and 16GB RAM@2400Mhz and I keep my view distance at about 2000mtrs.

To be honest they're shocking results for the system. I'm not sure crossfire will give you much over a single 290. My 290 does fine on more or less all ultra @ 3000vd (ground, much higher flying) single card. I have an i7, but your system should still be producing more than those figures shown.

Have you built the system yourself (looks like you may have from your list) ?

That is where your problems may lay. If you don't work full time putting gaming pc's together on a daily basis, then have someone that does, look at your setup and check everything.

• Like 1

I remember getting around 70fps (///I just got 90fps with the video settings in the next post) in that point of the benchmark. The interesting thing that picture shows is high GPU usage which would say you've GPU bottleneck...

...but then 0% usage and low clocks on both cards in these pictures. What the hell? How the game even draws anything  :huh:  Nice amount of CPU usage btw. Many people don't report that good CPU usage with 8-core. 50% of 8-core usage is pretty good in any kind of game.

Nice case ;)

That does seem low but I always found i scored lower on the bench then I do in game.

I started the bis scenario where you are above stratus airfield and in the firefight to take the little outpost I was at about 59 fps.

@St Jimmy. Do you remember your final score... the scenes look super smooth but my final is 47 on helos mission

Nice case ;)

That does seem low but I always found i scored lower on the bench then I do in game.

I started the bis scenario where you are above stratus airfield and in the firefight to take the little outpost I was at about 59 fps.

@St Jimmy. Do you remember your final score... the scenes look super smooth but my final is 47 on helos mission

Your final score is 47? At what settings? i'm going to run the benchmark in a few minutes-is it this one you were using? http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19801

Thats the  mission

I got 51 Final when i went to 4.65 ghz.

view dist 2400 and object at 1250.

mostly very high, ultra textures. pip off. hdao standart. 2x AA with CMAA, 1920 x 1080

[

top of stratus airfield in Support Bis mission. 10 guys firing at each other... i added my squad to help me get some bullets flying. Smoke is from a Grenade

2016-01-27_00001_zpsc2udxrx0.jpg[/url]

Kapaulio with Ravage running... the screenshot doesnt capture the PP effects apparently

2016-01-27_00002_zps4hiionpq.jpg

I just tested and I got 67. 45fps was the lowest. Video setiings. I used object detail standard. Object detail ultra would likely lower it something like 5-7fps.

Btw vitamin just posted this video in the AMD CPU bottleneck thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4OSA-vd1h8

After seeing that I don't wonder the fps that much anymore if the OP has view distance any higher. 35-45fps with those video settings in the dry salt field part is weak.

I just tested and I got 67. 45fps was the lowest. Video setiings. I used object detail standard. Object detail ultra would likely lower it something like 5-7fps.

Thanks for that... Ill check it out and try a pass with those settings tonight..

Thanks for that... Ill check it out and try a pass with those settings tonight..

Also-changing cloud settings from Ultra to standard makes quite a difference.I have them on Ultra when flying,but when on the ground leaving them to standard makes very little visual difference,but does improve performance.

So quick test with those settings yielded me 51

Note i did go back to Vanilla as previous score was modded fairly heavily.

I changed cloud to standard and PIP to off. 

That bumped it up to 55fps  in the test

then i changed resolution to 1440p 

with same settings as right above, it yielded 54fps

Okayyyyy.... and update

I just installed Dwardens performance malloc.

at 1440p using same settings as last two tests... 54fps... buuuuutt

at 1080p

It gave me 63 which is a 8fps jump just using the malloc at 1080p

So quick test with those settings yielded me 51

Note i did go back to Vanilla as previous score was modded fairly heavily.

I changed cloud to standard and PIP to off. 

That bumped it up to 55fps  in the test

then i changed resolution to 1440p 

with same settings as right above, it yielded 54fps

Okayyyyy.... and update

I just installed Dwardens performance malloc.

at 1440p using same settings as last two tests... 54fps... buuuuutt

at 1080p

It gave me 63 which is a 8fps jump just using the malloc at 1080p

I did it vanilla as well-my mods took off 9fps.I got 49 vanilla. Whats Dwardens malloc?

Edit-nevermind.I see it now.

I got Average fps 26

Well 26 is a bit low-I'm not sure if it is too low for your specs-does anyone else posting here know?

For comparison-my score is 49 and my rig is a GTX980, i5 4690k ,16 GB Hyper X Savage Ram @ 24ooMhz.

Do oyu see the post about 2 above yours?With the link to Dwardens malloc?That really helped my fps-I started using it a few days ago and I am locked at solid 60 now in most scenarios. Would you like me to PM you the details of how to use it?

• Like 1

Well 26 is a bit low-I'm not sure if it is too low for your specs-does anyone else posting here know?

For comparison-my score is 49 and my rig is a GTX980, i5 4690k ,16 GB Hyper X Savage Ram @ 24ooMhz.

Do oyu see the post about 2 above yours?With the link to Dwardens malloc?That really helped my fps-I started using it a few days ago and I am locked at solid 60 now in most scenarios. Would you like me to PM you the details of how to use it?

Why not post it here? That way we can all benefit from your wisdom.

I for one am interested (I searched the thread but couldn't find any instructions)

Why not post it here? That way we can all benefit from your wisdom.

I for one am interested (I searched the thread but couldn't find any instructions)

Will do-it's not my wisdom though. cosmic10r explained it to me. 

EDITED 

Download the memory allocator from the link above and chose the one right for you.

Put it in the DLL folder in your Arma3 folder .Steam>SteamApps>Common>Arma3>DLL 

Rename it to  tbb4malloc_bi2.dll

In the advanced parameters section of the Arma3 launcher put this in the malloc option  tbb4malloc_bi2  or add it to command line.

Don't you have to put the memory allocator in the Arma3\DLL folder?

I see 2 allocators there in the link, the tbb4malloc_biWithoutSSE2 and the tbb4malloc_biWithSSE2  are those different from the tbb4malloc_bi that comes in the DLL pack?

Don't you have to put the memory allocator in the Arma3\DLL folder?

I see 2 allocators there in the link, the tbb4malloc_biWithoutSSE2 and the tbb4malloc_biWithSSE2  are those different from the tbb4malloc_bi that comes in the DLL pack?

you are totally right... i f'd up my instructions! Sorry Ineptaphid. 

it should go in the dll folder. I renamed it to tbb4malloc_bi2.dll

and changed command line parameter to

-malloc=tbb4malloc_bi2

try that and see how it works for you.

tried sse2 malloc - helo test 57

tried default malloc - helo test 52

retried sse2 malloc - helo test 57

so seems like a repeatable benefit

you are totally right... i f'd up my instructions! Sorry Ineptaphid. 

it should go in the dll folder. I renamed it to tbb4malloc_bi2.dll

and changed command line parameter to

-malloc=tbb4malloc_bi2

try that and see how it works for you.

tried sse2 malloc - helo test 57

tried default malloc - helo test 52

retried sse2 malloc - helo test 57

so seems like a repeatable benefit

OKay ran it 3 times in a row-55 fps. Before I did the malloc thing I got between 47-49.So thats proof it works for me anyway.

Settings-View Dis. 1850

Obj.Dis.    1650

Tex Qual Ultra

Obj Qual High

Terrain Qual Ultra

Clouds Standard

Pip Normal

CMAA

FSAA  x8

Regarding memory allocators, I'd thought I'd share my recent experience :

I've always had a more or less acceptable framerate on my modest system, however things have changed with the rc 1.56 build. The framerate weren't worst per say, but I would experience frequent micro-freezes while playing : simply driving around on an empty map in editor mod had become unplayable. Everytime I would play in 3rd person view, zoom & de-zoom the camera, my computer would become completely unresponsive for a few seconds. Super annoying...

I've tried all the memory allocators, including the one made by Dwarden, to no avail. Ultimately, I thought I would let my system handle memory allocation - wich, to my surprise, did fix the issue.

Using -malloc=system completely removed any stuttering/micro-freeze, I've even cranked graphic options up without any problem performance-wise. \o/

My specs, for information :

Windows 7 64bits

Intel Pentium G3258 @3.20Ghz

8 Go RAM

AMD Radeon R7 200

I hope it can be of help to someone.

EDIT : After runing more tests, it looks like it was caused by Tessellation rather than the memory allocator... ^^'