Sign in to follow this  
zodd

Scaling in game object model pr using image / particle effects to achieve the effect?

I dont think there is any way to physically scale an in game model (would love to know if that is an incorrect assumption though) however does anyone know of a way to make an object appear smaller?

It only needs to work from one direction (from where the player is looking). The only thing I can think of is using particle effects to create a haze which may give the impression of somewhat distort an objects size however it is far from ideal.

Anyone have any other cunning ideas?

Can you tell us more specifically what it is you are trying to scale? Or is it a top secret project? ;)

Ha not top secret... nothing that exciting!

Just an idea that came to me after I saw a few things about people not benig able to see aircraft at longer range (ie. less than object draw distance).

Managed to get a solution (Vid below shows extreme example of aircraft visible at 20km (with 5km draw distance) ) however I need to scale the fake 'image' manually based off individual object draw distance vs actual aircraft range. 

https://youtu.be/abPkAt-0CZE

Thread:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/187566-aircraft-visible-to-player-at-distances-above-render-distance/

I tried using heat hazes etc and while it distorted the image the scale mismatch is still apparent. 

I doubt this will be a widely adpoted set of scripts; more just for people that have to run at low draw distance or people using powerful optics for aircraft spotting.

You cannot scale game object but you can create particle from the object which is also not going to work since it creates it with random orientation.

The way I would have solved it is by creating PiP control and streaming aircraft to it from the point of view of the observer and dynamically resizing the control depending on the distance, until aircraft is in range of viewing distance.