Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

There is for sure something wrong, even if it's only some settings.

I just updated to Dev-Build v1.33.127670 and benched again:

Auto / Ultra-Settings:

RAM-Speed 1333MHz (10-11-11-28-2T):

- Altis = 29fps

- Stratis = 32fps

RAM-Speed 2400MHz (10-11-11-28-2T):

- Altis = 37fps

- Stratis = 41fps

As you can see it's still working and the improvements are within my promised range (5-10fps more). You should at least get another 2-5fps more because you went from 1333MHz to 2800MHz.

I would really adjust some settings and double-check them as well, like:

- disable Core-Parking

- OC your CPU further, if possible

- OC your GPU further, if possible

- make sure that your CPU + GPU are not running into the Thermal Throttle

- check your RAM-Timings

- adjust your Windows-Power-Profile to High Performance / Samsung High Performance

- move ARMA-3 on a SSD

- enable the Rapid-Mode of your SSD

- adjust your GPU-Driver-Settings to max. Performance etc.pp.

- adjust your ARMA-3 Start-Parameters

- install / use Fred's MemAlloc

:)

Alright, I will look into those.

Thanks.

PS: Are you sure disabling core parking is safe?

EDIT, I enabled high performance and rapid mode, but the the fps stays the same on Stratis... 43.

Might as well put them back on the previous settings.

And Arma3 is on a SSD.

And regarding the parameters in the 'Advanced' Tab of the Arma3 Launcher, what should I select.

CPU Count: 4 (I imagine)

ExThreads:

Malloc: (I need a file for this?)

MaxMem:

MaxVRAM

No File Patching:

Logs:

World:

EDIT: Alright, I selected CPU Count 4, and now I have 1 fps more on Stratis: 44.

EDIT: Now I chose 7 for ExThreads, and still the same. 44fps.

BTW, I'm willing to OC my GPU, RAM, and CPU if someone's willing to help me out with that. If you wanna help me LSD_Timewarp82, I'd really appreciate it.

And I can choose 3 options with the "MSI Gaming App". "OC Mode," "Gaming Mode," and "Silent Mode."

EDIT: I chose 8192 for MaxMem, and 1 fps less, 43.

EDIT: Did all this: http://steamcommunity.com/app/107410/discussions/14/558752451154900119/?l=dutch

44 fps on Stratis.

Edited by Massey_sd

This is what i always said, this stupid commands startparameter shit are just placebo commands, you wont gain fps through this useless commands... You should leave those commands to those people which reporting "insane fps gains" without recording a benchmark, and the "optical feeling" was like 60fps... Thats the "Experts" Benchmarking ^^

You can unpark your cores, its no problem.

This is what i always said, this stupid commands startparameter shit are just placebo commands, you wont gain fps through this useless commands... You should leave those commands to those people which reporting "insane fps gains" without recording a benchmark, and the "optical feeling" was like 60fps... Thats the "Experts" Benchmarking ^^

You can unpark your cores, its no problem.

Alright, I unparked them, and didn't change a thing. 43fps on Stratis.

Parked them again.

EDIT, well yeah, it changed slightly. 1 fps lower, lol.

44fps on Stratis is the highest I've ever gotten.

Edited by Massey_sd

You know, I kinda feel like, in the next image, just selecting "Group Tuning," and change the Ratio to 47, or 48 or some shit, heh.

30394s2.png

When you change the Ratio to 47/48 you will have 4700/4800Mhz when nothing goes wrong. But i prefer the "old method", i always adjust by myself and not through a tool. The same is with the Voltages, i dont know if the tool will adjust the needed Voltage for the 4700Mhz (i would say the CPU will need 1,260V-1,275V for the 4700Mhz)

Important when OC the system is to disable those crap functions which clocks down the CPU

When you change the Ratio to 47/48 you will have 4700/4800Mhz when nothing goes wrong. But i prefer the "old method", i always adjust by myself and not through a tool. The same is with the Voltages, i dont know if the tool will adjust the needed Voltage for the 4700Mhz (i would say the CPU will need 1,260V-1,275V for the 4700Mhz)

Important when OC the system is to disable those crap functions which clocks down the CPU

Alright.

Btw, just tried 47, didn't change anything else, and same fps, 44.

You know what, I think I'm just gonna leave it like this...

Edited by Massey_sd

So u benched with 4700Mhz and u gain 0 fps? Yap, thats Arma. I had similiar results a week ago as i build a new pc,Hexacore Intel + 980GTX Sli + SSD Raid. Fps results was always the same, i think Engine limitation or some shit that only the devs could answer

So u benched with 4700Mhz and u gain 0 fps?

That's correct.

---------- Post added at 18:59 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

Alright, tried the "MSI Gaming App's' 'OC Mode'... And same thing, 44.

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 18:59 ----------

Updating the game to the latest Dev Build, maybe that'll help, dno.

---------- Post added at 19:59 ---------- Previous post was at 19:22 ----------

Alright, updated to the latest Dev Build...

Stratis: 45fps. (+1 fps)

Altis: 40fps. (-1 fps)

(I did enable Hyper-Threading.)

Edited by Massey_sd

Its senseless, the Engine is limitating or something, just check the CPU-Utilization when your Bench is done, and check it every time you benched. You will realize that the CPU-Utilization is close to always identical, and not very often above 50% CPU-Load. My statement to this since day1 is: Engine is shitty optimized (who knows if even touched since 10 years), to have significant performnace gain the devs need to work on this Prehistoric engine.

Its senseless, the Engine is limitating or something, just check the CPU-Utilization when your Bench is done, and check it every time you benched. You will realize that the CPU-Utilization is close to always identical, and not very often above 50% CPU-Load. My statement to this since day1 is: Engine is shitty optimized (who knows if even touched since 10 years), to have significant performnace gain the devs need to work on this Prehistoric engine.

Yeah, I'm not even gonna bother trying to OC my RAM, GPU and CPU. Will probably do jack shit, lol.

Yeah, correct decision. Enjoy your system with other games ;)

btw: you can make pictures with Fraps, you just need to start Fraps and check which Key u want to bind for Screenshots, the path of the folder where the pics were stored is also adjustable.

Yeah, correct decision. Enjoy your system with other games ;)

btw: you can make pictures with Fraps, you just need to start Fraps and check which Key u want to bind for Screenshots, the path of the folder where the pics were stored is also adjustable.

Ok, thanks.

---------- Post added at 22:53 ---------- Previous post was at 21:03 ----------

Alright, tried all the Memory Allocator .dll's, and it just won't go higher than 45fps on Stratis.

Thought I'd try them out...

---------- Post added at 23:18 ---------- Previous post was at 22:53 ----------

EDIT:

I find it strange though that, with my 1866MHz RAM, I was able to get 42fps on Altis.

With this RAM, 2800MHz, I get 40fps.

Try figuring that one out, lol.

Edited by Massey_sd

Ok, thanks.

---------- Post added at 22:53 ---------- Previous post was at 21:03 ----------

Alright, tried all the Memory Allocator .dll's, and it just won't go higher than 45fps on Stratis.

Thought I'd try them out...

---------- Post added at 23:18 ---------- Previous post was at 22:53 ----------

EDIT:

I find it strange though that, with my 1866MHz RAM, I was able to get 42fps on Altis.

With this RAM, 2800MHz, I get 40fps.

Try figuring that one out, lol.

Maybe set your RAM via BIOS to 1333MHz and do the Benchmarks and then back to your 2800MHz and bench again, as there has to be a difference if the settings are right.

Alright, updated to the latest Dev Build...

Stratis: 45fps. (+1 fps)

Altis: 40fps. (-1 fps)

Compared to my latest benchmarks (Altis = 37fps | Stratis = 41fps), you are having the 2-5fps extra, because your CPU is a bit better and your RAM is a bit faster.

Even if you compare your new RAM to the 1866MHz one, there should be still a difference, but not as large, because the RAM was with CL9 not a high-end Kit.

Get 3D-Mark and bench with 1333MHz and then with 2800MHz Settings, but keep the timings of the RAM the same, that things are easier to compare.

The 3D-Mark Scores will be different for sure, if the RAM has the right settings.

If there would be no difference on my system, I would never had recommended faster RAM for ARMA-3.

That the difference between 2400MHz-RAM and 2800MHz-RAM is not as large, even in other Benchmarks, I mentioned before and you could see it in the "slow RAM is bottlenecking Haswell"-Article.

I have HT enabled (for games like BF) and the build-in HD-Graphics disabled (less heat and therefor a bit more CPU-OC possible).

Even a further OC from 4400MHz to maybe 4700MHz will NOT give you a huge improvement in ARMA-3. The amount of fps you are getting is pretty much the max you will get with the ultra-quality profile applied.

@LSD_Timewarp82 will help you to fine-tune the quality-settings to get the max possible amount of fps in ARMA-3 with your rig.

Edited by TONSCHUH

In my opinion this 1,2,3 frame he could gain somehow, this isnt worth the time to think about such things "or maybe this, or maybe that", changing a value here and there...

And in this and thousand other cases only Armas Engine is the bottleneck

But, I have seen benchmarks (reviews) where reviewers were able to get 55fps with my cpu. (This CPU came out on top, which is the reason why I bought it.)

I wonder how they achieved that.

I really was hoping to get 50fps+ with this rig tbh...

Edited by Massey_sd

In my opinion this 1,2,3 frame he could gain somehow, this isnt worth the time to think about such things "or maybe this, or maybe that", changing a value here and there...

And in this and thousand other cases only Armas Engine is the bottleneck

Yeah, we can't fix that unfortunately.

But you would be still able to fine-tune his ARMA-3-Settings, like View-Distance etc. , that he would get the best possible experience.

At the end he has spent less money on his rig than me and ends up getting a few more fps, so the outcome is not really bad.

Maybe set your RAM via BIOS to 1333MHz and do the Benchmarks and then back to your 2800MHz and bench again, as there has to be a difference if the settings are right.

Actually, I remember it being on 1333MHz, and XMP disabled, because that was the settings it automatically switched to in BIOS. (Every time I boot my PC, I check if XMP is disabled again, and whether it switches back to 1333MHz...)

And, IIRC, I had something like 35fps on Stratis, and 32 on Altis.

Yeah, I might try 3D Mark.

Edited by Massey_sd

Actually, I remember it being on 1333MHz, and XMP disabled, because that was the settings it automatically switched to in BIOS.

And, IIRC, I had something like 35fps on Stratis, and 32 on Altis.

Yeah, I might try 3D Mark.

So you got at the end more fps.

It's unfortunately not like in other games, where you would see bigger improvements.

Well, if I do decide to OC anything, it will be my RAM...

Not gonna bother with the GPU, and the CPU... (Like I said before, tried 4.7GHz, and there wasn't any difference in fps.)

PS: http://www.gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-achieved-6-overclocking-world-records-during-live-oc-event-at-computex-2013--

---------- Post added at 07:20 ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 ----------

I have HT enabled (for games like BF) and the build-in HD-Graphics disabled (less heat and therefor a bit more CPU-OC possible).

Actually yeah, gonna disable the built-in graphics as well. (If it's not automically disabled already, that is.)

---------- Post added at 07:27 ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 ----------

Alright, well, I just went to BIOS, and there's something I don't understand...

Looked at some settings of the RAM, and it says:

DIMM A2: 1333MHz, running at 2800MHz.

DIMM B2: 1333MHz, running at 2800MHz.

? Why does it say 1333MHz? Is this normal?

This is what it says on the Webpage of my Mobo: 3200(O.C.)/3100(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2600(O.C.)/2500(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

EDIT: Alright, screw it, unable to find where to turn off Integrated graphics of my CPU, lol.

Edited by Massey_sd

Your Ram Modules need to be in the Red Ram Slots, that both of those red slots are used and the black slots are free. Have you this like that?

Looked at some settings of the RAM, and it says:

DIMM A2: 1333MHz, running at 2800MHz.

DIMM B2: 1333MHz, running at 2800MHz.

Should be correct in my opinion. The 1333Mhz is the "real clock" and the 2800Mhz is called "effective clock" ;)

Yes, they are in the Red Slots.

Oh, ok, so it's normal?

Just checked BIOS again, and in the tab "ASUS SPD Information," it says: Maximum Bandwith: 1333MHz.

So, that's normal then?

EDIT, and where the hell do I turn off the integrated graphics, lol, wtf, just can't find it.

---------- Post added at 07:55 ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 ----------

OK, also... In the Tab ASUS SPD information, it shows also:

XMP #1

Frequency: 2801

voltage: 1.650

tCL: 9

tRCD: 10

tRP: 10

tRAS: 26

tRC: 36

Command rate: 2

And this is my RAM: http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-2800c12d-16gtxdg

Is this fine?

Edited by Massey_sd

Yep thats correct, they run with correct speed. You have those 1333Mhz "real clock" and the 2801Mhz of Effective clock. The timings are okay too, command rate is correct too.

To disable IGpu -> BIOS > Advanced > System Agent Configuration > Graphics Configuration > Primary Display > PCIE (instead of iGPU or Auto)

Yep thats correct, they run with correct speed. You have those 1333Mhz "real clock" and the 2801Mhz of Effective clock. The timings are okay too, command rate is correct too.

To disable IGpu -> BIOS > Advanced > System Agent Configuration > Graphics Configuration > Primary Display > PCIE (instead of iGPU or Auto)

Alrighty, thanks, so I guess my memory is working fine than...

Ok, will check again for the integrated graphics.

Have a look about your HD-Graphic's from page 3-33: Click

Then RAM-Timings seem not to match the ones from here: Click (under Specifications)