Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

17 hours ago, Groove_C said:

What is the exact model of the motherboard you have and RAM model as well?

It's ASUS PRIME Z370-A and Corsair Vengeance LPX 3Ghz (2x8). The CPU can do over 5Ghz but needs insane cooling (it's not delidded )

8 hours ago, logan357 said:

It's ASUS PRIME Z370-A and Corsair Vengeance LPX 3Ghz (2x8). The CPU can do over 5Ghz but needs insane cooling (it's not delidded )

Switching to better RAM could further help you with FPS and no only in Arma.

Delidding could help you drop the temp up to 17-20°C.

CPU and RAM can be further optimized.
Just not enough time has past to be able to do it.

Rocket Lake can't do 3800 and 4000 MHz RAM in gear 1 (1:1), only 3733 or 3866 MHz.
Considering my CPU sample is one of the lowest quality there can be, its memory controller can't do 3866 MHz.
Otherwise RAM sticks themselves have no problem to do 3866 MHz CL14.
And with 3866 MHz CL14 FPS would have been even higher.

Now need to further tighten RAM timings and maybe it's possible to give some cores 100-200
MHz higher frequency and need to see what can be done with the voltage and temperature.

3733 MHz CL14 results in 37.9 ns in Aida64 (gear 1 = 1:1)

Arma3_x64_2021-08-11_03-17-01-408.jpg?wi

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Groove_C said:

Arma3_x64_2021-08-11_03-17-01-408.jpg?wi

Just comparing GrooveC's 11900K vs 5800x with DDR4000CL16

On 11/13/2020 at 4:49 PM, Mahatma Gandhi said:

A friend in the German Ryzen RAM OC Community (spawn off the Computerbase.de Forum) going by the name ZeroCoolRiddler, gives some pretty impressive results from a 5800x running Micron-E Dies @4000MHz 1:1 with the FCLK.

arma3_benchmark3lejx0.png

To my knowledge, this is the first system to pass the 100 FPS sound barrier.

Interestingly, his min. FPS hit a mind boggling 71FPS which is pretty much exactly what I proudly presented as the max. FPS my 3300x could achieve a week ago.

The system ran the cma_x64 AVX2 malloc and a curved PBO, a new Zen3 AGESA function which allows a manually adjustable Boost behaviour in terms of frequency and voltage settings allowing to customize the boost behaviour with individual (and non escalating) voltage settings per core making curved PBO apparently the cpu optimizing method of choice on Zen3.

On 8/11/2021 at 9:29 AM, Valken said:

Just comparing GrooveC's 11900K vs 5800x with DDR4000CL16

My i9-11900K sample is the worst one can get. Requires very high voltage, heats a lot therefore and can do only 3733 MHz RAM.

This R7 5800X sample is one in a million, since it can hit close to 5.0 GHz mark and do 4000 MHz RAM.

Otherwise, majority of Ryzen 5000 can reach only like 4.8 GHz and max 3800 MHz RAM.

But my really really bad i9-11900K manages to do few FPS min more than this golden sample R7 5800X.

So if I had a better quality i9-11900K, it could require much much lower voltage, would have been much much cooler and would have done 3866 MHz RAM no problems and min FPS would have been even higher.

Don't forget that the guy with R7 5800X has only 1 run that shows 101 FPS and it's only average.

I consider that the minimum FPS is more mportant, since that is what lower than this it won't drop.

+ the guy could have run YAAB so many times, hoping for a short FPS jump and only 1 lucky run out of like 10 or more runs he has made a screenshot of it.

My min and avg FPS you can see being confirmed by several runs in a row.

But even on my screenshot you can see that min FPS jumped from 72 to 76 in the last run.

So I could have made a screenshot of this last run only and present it like it's the normal FPS I get consistently, which is not the case, since Arma is so Arma...

• Like 1

I know. It gives some kind of forward indication of where performance can be. 

You are right the 11xxx series still has potential. Same would apply to upcoming Ryzen CPUs as well so for players who want to have a good idea where to spend, they can see what the potential are.

I think 10xxxK series is probably the best buy for now in terms of price and overall performance until Ryzen drops in price or releases any refresh.

31 minutes ago, Valken said:

I know. It gives some kind of forward indication of where performance can be. 

You are right the 11xxx series still has potential. Same would apply to upcoming Ryzen CPUs as well so for players who want to have a good idea where to spend, they can see what the potential are.

I think 10xxxK series is probably the best buy for now in terms of price and overall performance until Ryzen drops in price or releases any refresh.

Actually no, an i7-10700K costs more than a R5 5600X and performs much worse in Arma.

Even an i9-10900K that costs even more, still performs much worse in Arma.

23 minutes ago, Groove_C said:

Actually no, an i7-10700K costs more than a R5 5600X and performs much worse in Arma.

Even an i9-10900K that costs even more, still performs much worse in Arma.

Right now in my country:

10700KF - 308 USD

11700KF - 392 USD

5600X is 316 USD

MB, RAM and cooler would be relatively the same, but lose PCI4 with 10700KF.

54 minutes ago, Valken said:

Right now in my country:

10700KF - 308 USD

11700KF - 392 USD

5600X is 316 USD

MB, RAM and cooler would be relatively the same, but lose PCI4 with 10700KF.

8$ more for 5600X for much much better performance in Arma and other games.

Not very hot and doesn't consume much + PCI-E 4.0 for the GPU and M.2 SSD.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Groove_C said:

@Valken 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz 16-18-18 is all you need and MSI B550 Tomahawk board.

could you pls post the model number of that RAM? Im looking for good ram for my future setup and this is exactly what u wrote...

Edit:

should be this one, right?
BL2K16G36C16U4WL

1 hour ago, sarogahtyp said:

could you pls post the model number of that RAM? Im looking for good ram for my future setup and this is exactly what u wrote...

Edit:

should be this one, right?
BL2K16G36C16U4WL

They exist with and without RGB and in different colours.

It's not the best RAM, but you get a lot for your money.

or just the other way around.

planned system:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Gaming GAMING OC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard

Corsair Hydro H45 Water Cooler

Corsair Carbide Series 270R Case

which 32 GB RAM Kit would you recommend?

Edit: graphics corrected from 1650 to 1660

7 minutes ago, sarogahtyp said:

which 32 GB RAM Kit would you recommend?

Crucial Ballistix 2x16 GB 3600 MHz 16-18-18.

• Thanks 1

I am currently using Crucial Ballistix BL2K16G36C16U4R 3600 MHz on my Bench#1 rig, it runs quite well.

Platform : Asus TUF Gaming B550M / Ryzen 7 3700X / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB + Sabrent Rocket NVMe 1TB

I'm sorry to notice that the red sticks don't go faster than the black ones 😉

I had previously run G.Skill Trident Z Neo - 2 x 8 Go (16 Go) 3800 MHz CL16 [16-19-19-39] on the same platform, performance is slightly better, around 2 FPS on average over twenty YAAB runs.

I haven't done enough testing to confirm this trend, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

22 hours ago, Groove_C said:

Crucial Ballistix 2x16 GB 3600 MHz 16-18-18.

Hello! I have 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 C16 ( with i7 9700k and GTX 1070 ).

Could I win some FPS in ARMA3 going to that Crucial 3600 C16?

10 minutes ago, Mckennitt said:

Hello! I have 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 C16 ( with i7 9700k and GTX 1070 ).

Could I win some FPS in ARMA3 going to that Crucial 3600 C16?

Yes, but not a lot, unless you further tune it manually.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 9:58 AM, Groove_C said:

If I had a better quality i9-11900K, it could require much much lower voltage, would have been much much cooler and would have done 3866 MHz RAM no problems and min FPS would have been even higher.

Don't have my bad 11900K anymore, but kept the motherboard, for now.
Will buy another 11900K and give the last chance to Intel, in hope, that the sample I will receive, is much better than the previous, so that it requires much lower voltage for a given frequency and can do 3866 MHz RAM.

This way it could potentially do 75-77 FPS min in YAAB 1080p standard and I still could cool it good enough with my Noctua NH-D15S.

Otherwise I switch to a R7 5800X + B550 MSI Unify X motherboard.

Procesor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU při 2,20 GHz 2,21 GHz
Paměť Paměť RAM 8,00 GB (k: 7,85 GB)

NVIDIA GFORCE gtx1060 hra seka névite proc?

@Mckennitt Welcome

On the RAM topic, yes, there is a possibility of gain, but this gain is very small.

Here what I get on my own test with various RAM kits ...

eKHxnsNh.jpg

... in fact, from my point of view it is irrelevant, the in-game FPS gain will be lost in the midst of gains and losses due to other factors.

Nonetheless, I can say is that I observed the highest level of FPS with a G. SKILL TridentZ NEO 16 GB (2 X 8 GB) 3800 MHz 16-19-19-39 kit, but on a R7 3700X based rig, I am still playing with it 😎

@d.kamenik15 Welcome,

I don't understand your question, even if I guess it.

1°  on this forum, one of the rules is to use English, this kind of english we use is our lingua franca, our common dialect. All posts must be in English language.

I must admit that it is not always easy when English is not our mother tongue, but it is the only way to understand each other and share knowledge in a simple way.

2°  it can be difficult to play Arma3 on a laptop which is based on a processor with a low base frequency and low TDP. In order to get the best in game performance, the i7-8750H must run at maximum frequency constantly. It all depends on how the laptop is designed and built. There is a high probability that the CPU throttling will then be activated, which in the best case will drop the frequency to 2.2 GHz and the FPS to the 10/15 level and in the worst case cause a blue screen.

In addition, it would be better to have 16 GB of RAM.

Then, we can discuss the sacrifices to be made to obtain a playable game, if that is really the question ...

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 6:00 PM, Groove_C said:

8$ more for 5600X for much much better performance in Arma and other games.

Not very hot and doesn't consume much + PCI-E 4.0 for the GPU and M.2 SSD.

But I lose 2 real cores with the 5600x.

I want an 8 core for that price as I have held out on 4C/8T CPU for so long and do not want to do small upgrade later again. I can justify something very cheap like a "Pentium 4C CPU" if it I only use 2C/4T to go faster in ARMA then upgrade to a 8 or 12 core later.

But from 6 to 8 core, I might as well go 8 core but not at today's price.

Here and now, in order to play Arma 3, but also other games like Flight Simulator 2020, it is not necessary to have a  high-end configuration.

I am regularly playing  with a Ryzen 7 3700X / RTX 2060 / Asus TUF B550M / 16 GB 3800 MHz C16 in 1440p configuration,  it is just OK.

@oldbear my old system holds up in ARMA now thanks to GrooveC's recommendations.

I have the SAME conundrum as other users in that we want something great to play ARMA 3 and be future proof for a good value.

AMD Ryzen 5 series is the best performance, but price per core is higher than Intel and what we think the market value should be. 

The 5800x price per core is atrocious. Hence we look at 5600x if buying new, but then we lose 2 cores for OTHER usage and games.

I started to dabble in 3den. I found myself loading up Audacity and Paint.net to dabble in customs assets. Falling into that rabbit hole called mission making (plopping down modules is like a Pandora's box - both good and bad, goes deeper into mission making), etc...

So more RAW CPU IPC and speed is welcomed for ARMA dues to single tasking threads, but at the same time, more cores is "want" for other tasks.

I'm not going to drop 600 USD just to double my FPS in ARMA, then get held back on a core level for other work later. Worst case, I drop my settings to LOW and set textures to ULTRA to compensate for more FPS.

I've waited so long so can wait a few more months to not regret it. It is about value for money at this point. I already know my target upgrade.

@Valken10700K isn't a good value, since the additional performance vs 4790K, in Arma is very small, but you still pay for motherboard, CPU and RAM.

Even if it's cheaper than 5800X, it's a lot for almost no noticeable performance increase.

5800X is the only way, if you want noticeable performance increase and 16 threads.