Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

@Fabian Ihli runs perfectly fine on Ryzen 5000.

Just make sure NOT to buy RAM slower than 3600 MHz!

Best performance/price is provided by these RAM kits:

Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600 MHz 16-18-18-38 (BL2K8G36C16U4B)
Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 MHz 16-18-18-38 (BL2K8G36C16U4BL)

Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 MHz 16-18-18-38 (BL2K16G36C16U4B)

Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB 3600 MHz 16-18-18-38 (BL2K16G36C16U4BL)

Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro motherboard is all you would need.

Pro AC comes with integrated Wi-Fi.

4 hours ago, Groove_C said:

@Fabian Ihli 

Just make sure NOT to buy RAM slower than 3600

Thank you for your advice, that is highly appreciated. I just ordered 

- 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V 3200Mhz

- MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge WIFI AMD B550 So.AM4 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX Retail

Hope that will smoothly run, too...

Or would you recommend to cancel one or both of these components?

Edited by Fabian Ihli

AMD just released FSR, do you think ARMA 3 should support it? Or it's too much work at this stage of its life?

21 hours ago, mr_centipede said:

AMD just released FSR, do you think ARMA 3 should support it? Or it's too much work at this stage of its life?

I've read somewhere that it isn't too difficult, one user reported 1-2 hrs worth of work but AM3 my be a little more complex.

5 hours ago, f2k sel said:

I've read somewhere that it isn't too difficult, one user reported 1-2 hrs worth of work but AM3 my be a little more complex.

I'd say they use a completely different game engine. 

I wonder whether we can expect more frames in ArmA from Intels or AMDs next gen processors. 

On 6/22/2021 at 9:31 PM, Groove_C said:

A3 is EOL (end of life).

But the game is like fine wine or a good whiskey or scotch!  It gets better over time, especially the community. 

On 6/24/2021 at 12:04 AM, Smart Games said:

I wonder whether we can expect more frames in ArmA from Intels or AMDs next gen processors. 

It will get BETTER but if not, then the CPU architecture is trash or needs to be reviewed under a different set of requirements.

Enfusion hopefully will have better performance but for ARMA die hards, we need IPC!

• Like 2

No, Arma 3 has not reach an EOL status.

EOL for “End of Life,”  status would means that BI  has decided that the game will no longer be supported and sell.

In the present case, on the contrary, the game continues to be supported, sold and above all played.

By the "criterion of practice" as W.I. Lenin would say*, this is the most important, this game continues to live and exist because hundreds of people around the world continue to play it regularly.

*in Materialism And Empirio Criticism  😁

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Valken said:

But the game is like fine wine or a good whiskey or scotch!  It gets better over time, especially the community. 

Dude! Best saying! You need to put that here https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/199974-youve-played-to-much-arma-when/

oldbear is like the Arma sage when all wisdom fails, BI goes to the Arma cave and turns to oldbear to advance to the next level 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

No.

I already have 2x16 GB DDR4 3800 MHz CL14 and Asus Maximus Apex XIII.

Don't want 1st gen on new architecture with small cache, not so good performance and price + very expensive and slow DDR5.

Raptor Lake, after Alder Lake, will have bigger cache, higher frequency, will support faster DDR5 and by then, there will already be higher frequency and lower timings DDR5 for sale. Not like the first gen of DDR5, expensive, low frequency and high timings. No, thanks.

1 hour ago, Groove_C said:

slow DDR5

I heard that both DDR4 and DDR5 will be supported.

I plan to upgrade to 12th Gen and to keep my 4000cl15 RAM. 

But the final decision I will make only after the first reviews. 

52 minutes ago, Smart Games said:

I heard that both DDR4 and DDR5 will be supported.

I plan to upgrade to 12th Gen and to keep my 4000cl15 RAM. 

But the final decision I will make only after the first reviews. 

Like i7-6700K back in 2016, that supported DDR4 and DDR3.

But DDR3 only on few low end motherboards.

All the good motherboards were DDR4 only.

And no need for reviews of Alder Lake. It will be faster and not thanks to DDR5, but thanks to better architecture of cores, that will compensate for slow and expensive DDR5.

So it will be better than anything currently available, but prices will be very high and not corresponding to the added performance you receive.

Better wait for Raptor Lake with more cache and support faster DDR5.

Because even if you buy Alder Lake and later there will be better DDR5, you won't even be able to upgrade to better DDR5, because first CPUs and motherboards don't support as high RAM frequency, like always.

It's similar to i7-6700K and later i7-7700K. 7700K supported higher frequency and lower latency DDR4 and Z270 motherboards, unlike 6700K and Z170 motherboards.

• Thanks 1

Most of i7-6700K couldn't even approach 5.0 GHz and most of them topped out at 3600/3733 MHz DDR4.

i7-7700K had no problems with 5.0 GHz and higher and 4000 MHz RAM and higher.

Almost nobody upgraded back then from 22 nm 4770K/4790K with top DDR3 to 6700K with slow and expensive DDR4.

Most people simply skipped it.

Only people with a 2600K upgraded and even then there were not many that did that.

Now it's same. If you have 8-11th gen CPU, upgrading to 12th gen is just stupid.

Because the performance is not 20% better, but only up to 20% better.

But for the new one you don't pay 20% of what your current PC cost you back then.

You pay the full price of CPU + motherboard + DDR5, which is way way more than up to 20% better perf, in some scenarios only.

So think twice.

I will see whether 16 threads will give higher FPS and/or more calm/stable frametime, in Arma.

If FPS and frametime will be same as with just 8 cores, or lower, I will disable Hyper-Threading, for lower voltage/temperature/power consumption.