Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

On 5/29/2018 at 10:56 AM, Groove_C said:

@alessiomoreno

Will start to OC it by the end of the week and will compare it @stock and OC'd to my OC'd i7-4790K 4.8/4.5 GHz core/cache using YAAB (Yet Another Arma Benchmark) -> http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=375092418&searchtext=yaab

Did you have time to do a comparison?

Hello all

I'm looking for a new machine, primarily for Arma 3, and the only other games I play are older titles.

My current gaming rig is ancient now, built back in 2009 (haha) but upgraded GPU and SSD back in 2012/13. Runs Arma 2 well and Arma 3 OK.

I've been out of the loop since 2013 due to work and travel. I haven't used my rig since then and my knowledge of hardware is outdated.

My rig is also huge and takes up too much room which is something I don't have to spare, so space and mobility are key factors. That's why I've been looking at gaming laptops as a solution. I would also consider SFF gaming PCs.

I know there's a price you pay with laptops in terms of mobility. The same issue probably exists with SFF machines? I'd be looking to spend £800-850 (could stretch to £900 if it would be of significant benefit) for a gaming laptop and around £600-650 for an SFF rig as I'd have to purchase a new monitor and wireless peripherals.

I can't buy anything right now, more likely in about 2-3 months time. I'm just looking to get an idea with what I can do for my budget.

I've been looking at this laptop and I'm keen to get any thoughts on the hardware and how it could handle Arma 3. I'm also open to other suggestions, laptop or SFF:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GP62MVR-7RFX-880-Leopard-15-6-Inch/dp/B074LMNWZB/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1529483672&sr=1-1&keywords=msi

4 hours ago, Horus said:

Did you have time to do a comparison?

My i7-5775C is dead - broke off a tiny capacitor while delidding.

Soon will buy one more from AliExpress - need $$$.

But the difference once overclocked is huge vs. i7-4790K @ 5.2 GHz.

untitled1xbj7n.jpg

Source:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1583537-intel-broadwell-c-ownership-club-110.html#post26108474

So you sell your i7-4790K and add some $$$ and buy this beast. No need to change mainboard or RAM. And ArmA runs smoother than ever, because the frames are built/created inside the CPU, using its 128 MB L4 cache, so virtually no delays/input lag because of communication with RAM.

i7-5775C is still frametimes king (even vs. i7-8700K @ 5.0-5.2 GHz)

And L4 cache speed is on par with the fastest dual-channel DDR4 RAM kits.

You have to sum up DDR3 RAM speed + L4 cache speed, which gives you the actual read/write/copy speed.

This L4 cache speed really boosts FPS for people with DDR3 1333/1600 MHz RAM and if you go for DDR3 2400 MHz RAM + L4 speed, this is where the FPS difference comes from despite it being overclocked to only 4.2 GHz.

You have more FPS with i7-5775C despite its 4.2 GHz OC, but it applies mostly to CPU limited/heavy games.

@ -Snafu- : welcome back :don16:

The "MSI GP62MVR 7RFX-880 Leopard Pro"  designated target looks globally correct, nevertheless if the size of ssd-128 GB is sufficient for Windows and the basic Arma3 library, it will quickly show its limits with the addition of mods and the surrounding apps and programs paraphernalia.

To be complete, I have doubts about the circuits "Killer" because of very bad experiences caused by the drivers. I ended up buying a TPLink card to handle the issue on my # 2 gaming rig

• Like 1

As far as I know, one of the secret behind Broadwell-K very special level of performance in Arma3  is related to L4 128 Mo eDRAM.

Have a look here Core i5-5675C : Broadwell côté CPU en test  yes, I know it's in French* but gaming tests results deserves a look.

Like this one :

M5a7yaFh.jpg

Edited by oldbear
"Esprit d'escalier", be slow-witted in english don't sound so good ...

15 hours ago, oldbear said:

@ -Snafu- : welcome back :don16:

The "MSI GP62MVR 7RFX-880 Leopard Pro"  designated target looks globally correct, nevertheless if the size of ssd-128 GB is sufficient for Windows and the basic Arma3 library, it will quickly show its limits with the addition of mods and the surrounding apps and programs paraphernalia.

To be complete, I have doubts about the circuits "Killer" because of very bad experiences caused by the drivers. I ended up buying a TPLink card to handle the issue on my # 2 gaming rig

I'll aim for a 256GB SSD.

There's another MSI laptop with a very similar specification at the same price. The only differences being a 256GB SSD and a GTX1050Ti instead of a GTX1060. You can see the laptop at the link below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076CXTYZ6/ref=psdc_429886031_t3_B074LMNWZB

Should I look for models with a 1060 GPU or is the difference between the 1050 and 1060 unimportant for Arma 3?

I'm assuming I should aim for an i7 over an i5 given Arma 3's CPU demands. Or would some i5 models be acceptable? Additionally, would you recommend 16GB RAM over 8GB RAM?

Finally, I've seen some Asus ROG gaming laptops with AMD and ATI components. For example, this one below:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-rog-gl702zc-amd-rx-580-4gb-17.3-fhd-ips-freesync-amd-6-core-ryzen-5-1600-gaming-laptop-lt-24l-as.html

I've stuck with Intel and Nvidia over the years and since Arma 3 uses PhysX I haven't been looking to change. Does it make a difference for Arma 3?

@ -Snafu- : let have a look at the before Arma3 run check list ...

1° CPU : the fastest and more efficient you can afford, it looks like the i7-****HQ are the fastest,

2°RAM : the fastest RAM you can afford, even if 2400 MHz is good, 3000/3200 MHz is better,

In fact on your laptop you must prefer frequency over quantity, 8Go @ 3200MHZ is rather good!

3° GPU : the better you can get, because a high level one will allow you to play Arma3 without any sacrifice on some sexy lighting, AA&PP parameters.

The best you can get will also enhance rig global performances level, nevertheless a 1050 is enough ...

4° Laptop build and ventilation,you must have a close look at how the rig is reported to react under heavy load, on a laptop playing Arma3 is a bit like doing a torture test !

About AMD : I don't know how AMD components works when used on a laptop.

What I can say is that with Ryzen, AMD is back in game but Intel is still the fastest for Arma3 gaming.

So far, I have built entry level Arma3 PCs working quite well based upon a R3 1300X and R3 2200G plus discrete GPU such as GT 1030 and RX 550.

Arma3 is using PhysX library for CPU computation and render ... since NVIDIA PhysX SDK 3.x, released in May 2011, you don't need any NVIDIA hardware.

Edited by oldbear
being an old bear ...
  • Like 1

Hey,

though FPS is not too problematic anymore since I changed from AMD to Intel I still want to squeeze more of the system. I usually play Arma with lots of mods and scripts so I thought upgrading RAM would give me improvement on 64bit. Depending on the mission the FPS are around 25-40 atm. In vanilla I have more of course but I don't play vanilla at all. I know, with this GPU the best would be to upgrade to an i7 CPU but that's something for next year.... 

Here is my current system:

CPU Intel i5 6600K OC 4,2 Ghz

MSI Z-170-A Pro 

RAM 1x 8GB Team Elite Group DDR4 2400mhz

Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Strix Advanced 8GB running native @1440p

I am thinking about an upgrade to 2x 8GB DDR4 @3000 or 3200 Mhz. Will that make a difference? According to this https://techreport.com/review/31179/intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-cpu-reviewed/11 it might....

Do you have suggestions which RAM would fit to my mainboard? Budget is around 170 €

Thanks!

I'm currently planning to change my GPU to GTX 1050 Ti because of my current GPU RX 470 is broken.

Can GTX 1050 Ti run Arma 3 with High Graphics settings?

Current PC:

CPU - Ryzen 7 1700

GPU - RX 470

RAM - 16GB

Screen - 1920x1080

This runs well as I want. 60 FPS in Ultra Graphics is not needed but stable 30 FPS in High Graphics and few kilometers of the landscape visibility. It's going offtopic though, how about DayZ Standalone too?

@ Tobur :  your rig will run better if you allow dual channel by populating  the 2nd slot [probably DIMM4] with the same RAM 1x 8GB Team Elite Group DDR4 2400mhz you have already on 1st slot [probably DIMM2], you must have look at the f** manual to get the right slots locations.

• Thanks 1

@ POLPOX : the GTX 1050 Ti is OK, but the GTX 1060 3GB is better, and on the RX 470 level .

ATM, depending on the country  you live in, there can be a small gap between  GTX 1050 Ti  and  GTX 1060 3GB prices and even get a GTX 1060 3GB at a lower price  ... [4GB vs 3GB effect].

3 hours ago, Tobur said:

I am thinking about an upgrade to 2x 8GB DDR4 @3000 or 3200 Mhz. Will that make a difference? According to this https://techreport.com/review/31179/intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-cpu-reviewed/11 it might....

Do you have suggestions which RAM would fit to my mainboard? Budget is around 170 €

will it make a difference? probably.

enough to spend 170€ for it. depends on how much you need your money. but probably not.

i had a quick look in the memory qvl of you mainboard (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170-A-PRO#support-mem-3), and found

F4-3200C16D-16GTZ ram for around 170€ (shipping not included) 

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/16GB-G-Skill-Trident-Z-schwarz-weiss-DDR4-3200-DIMM-CL16-Dual-Kit_1111127.html

F4-3200C16D-16GVKB (around 160€)

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/16GB-G-Skill-RipJaws-V-schwarz-DDR4-3200-DIMM-CL16-Dual-Kit_1013799.html

not sure where you live, but i guess you might be able to find this ram for around the same price in your country

• Thanks 1

Based on what I found myself when upgrading from DDR4 Crucial 2400 MHz to G-Skill  3200 MHz, the gain is noticeable.

Edited by oldbear
being an old bear ...
  • Thanks 1

Thx guys! Guess I will go for 2x 8GB GSkill RipSaws V. 

Welcome to Bis forums!

Yes it would that cpu 3.1 GHz, it will work but it depends too what else you will have running with it.

Why that CPu and not say an i7 700k or better?3.1 Price?

Arma3 is very cpu demanding, if you spend any money for this game cpu must be your number 1 choice, then Ram, then HD (SSD).

What other specs are you choosing or is this an upgrade to a current computer?

6 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Yes it would that cpu 3.1 GHz

I think he's more asking about the graphics capabilities not the CPU part.

And that I don't actually know. Didn't hear of anyone running Arma on a AMD APU yet.

Welcome on the forums :don16:

The answer is rather simple, NO, you can't play Arma3 on an AMD A8-9600 APU.

Just before Ryzen released, I had bought on purpose an A8-9600 in order to test it.

You can read my short review -in French- on CanardPC forums : Jouer à Arma3 avec un AMD APU A8-9600 - Rogue Zero

Conclusion
''Ils'' avaient raison ... même si le jeu tourne sur une config à base d'APU AMD, ce n'est pas jouable.
Malgré la fiche technique prometteuse, ça ne marche pas et ajouter une carte graphique ne change rien.
C'est le processeur en lui même qui par sa conception ne permet pas l'exercice.

Final thoughts
'' They '' were right ... even if the game runs on an APU AMD based config, Arma3 is not playable*.
Despite the promising technical sheet, it does not work and adding a graphics card** does not change anything.
It is the processor by itself that by its design is unable to do the job***.

* you can work on the editor and test some SP missions

** tested with a GTX 750Ti

*** averaging 17 FPS without a GPU, 18 FPS with the GTX on YAAB.

Note : I must add that some less demanding game such as Argo is playable !

Speaking about playing Arma3 with an AMD APU, I am still doing tests with a Ryzen 3 2200G. Its playable !

Nevertheless, a GPU must be added in order to get an acceptable gaming level [over 30 FPS].

The integrated Vega8 is not powerful enough to allow average graphics quality on 720p.

Arma 3 is very sensitive regarding memory management and sharing memory has a negative effect.

Even a GT 1030 or an RX 550 can do the job!

Have a look here : Jouer à Arma3 avec un AMD APU R3 2200G - Rogue One still in French on CanardPC Forums :f:

Edited by oldbear
English is not my maternal language, but you already know that
  • Like 1

So any CPU that y'all would recommend me? I'm not looking for something so expensive, just to be easy to get because I'm from Chile and the only cpus that i can get are the ones that are listed on this website www.solotodo.com . Can anyone recommend me a cpu that is on that web page? my budget is around $300 u.s dollars (200.000 chilean pesos)

@ Javier Corco : the minimum you can get in order to play Arma3 is the Pentium G4560 (2 cores/4 threads @ 3500 MHz) such as featured in the "Cotizaciones gamer : Básico".

You can play Arma3 on this kind of minimum configuration.

Still looking for minimaI playable hardware configuration for Arma3, I had also tested a Pentium G4560 .... Jouer à Arma3 avec un Pentium [2] - L'Empire contre-attaque

But, with this one you will get minimum performances!

ATM, my choice -on the related site- will be something like ... "AMD Ryzen 3 1300X/GTX 1050/ 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4/ASUS PRIME B350M-E/SSD M.2 SATA 240/256 GB"

* the game will be still playable on average Graphic Quality with a GT 1030,

** a B350 chipset offers some room for low level OC

*** having a SSD for Windows and Arma3 will help to get rid of texture clipping and stuttering in game.

Edited by oldbear
I am really an Old bear

19 hours ago, oldbear said:

averaging 17 FPS without a GPU, 18 FPS with the GTX on YAAB

You might need to tell the OS to run the game on the dedicated graphics instead of the integrated graphics. That's a thing on many laptops with both dedicated and integrated graphics.

If you run Nvidia Experience it should take care of that for you I think.

@ Dedmen :

1° of course I am carefully settings all parameters in BIOS before doing tests, so the game was running on the discrete GPU.

I have done a lot of tests on this one before posting my own review on the Forums.

2° I am not using Nvidia Experience because this "asset" is not a reliable benchmarking tool.