Jump to content
Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Whats the frequency of your ram?

What are you playing when it stutters, and using any mods?

 

My RAM is 16 GB DDR4 Dual Channel @ 1064 MHz 

 

I create scenarios,and I face stuttering even while playing with only one player who moves freely on the map!

And I have  currently disabled the mods!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@orllak32

 

DDR4-2133 MHz is a very low frequency I would say, like DDR3-1333 MHz.

Maybe it's because of this + low frequency CPU (only 3.2 GHz turbo all cores) + low power and low bandwidth GPU (128 bit - only 80 GB/s @ stock).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Groove_C said:

@orllak32

 

DDR4-2133 MHz is a very low frequency I would say, like DDR3-1333 MHz.

Maybe it's because of this + low frequency CPU (only 3.2 GHz turbo all cores) + low power and low bandwidth GPU (128 bit - only 80 GB/s).

 

 

I do apologize ,my RAM frequency isn't 1064 MHz, it is DDR4 -2133 MHz,Dual-channel

 

Here you are some more detailed info about my CPU:
 

http://www.ubergizmo.com/products/lang/en_us/devices/intel-i7-6700hq/

 

And here you are some more detailed info about my overclocked GPU on this screenshot:

 

https://imgur.com/a/cTzOFzP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lower your view distance to about 1600, turn off or down some of your graphics settings.

 

Open up the task manager and turn some programs you dont need that are running, you need to free up some resources,

overall i would suggest and upgrade if you can afford it, start with upgrading that ram to a min freq of 3000.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Lower your view distance to about 1600, turn off or down some of your graphics settings.

 

Open up the task manager and turn some programs you dont need that are running, you need to free up some resources,

overall i would suggest and upgrade if you can afford it, start with upgrading that ram to a min freq of 3000.

Is there some another tweak,for an example disabling some Windows feature/service or any software tweak,that could help me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is if you know what your looking at, go to run and type in msconfig go to services and see what your running that isn't system or microsoft, you can disable a service.

Aside that i would also check your temps too, but i think your main issue is down to low ram freq, fix that and i think you'll be alright.

Whats the fps # say in the graphics menu when you go there, when your ingame not the menu?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you are playing Arma3, you must close, disable navigator, social network and all apps using your rig resources.

Use built-in Steam FPS display.

Run x 3 YAAB* test mission on "Standard settings" and post here a screen showing the results and the graph.

 

* YAAB or Yet Another Arma Benchmark -> http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=375092418&searchtext=yaab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright I'm nearly done with my parts however it appears the rx 570 8gb is on sale for 230, (The armour msi version) should I go with this instead of a gtx 1060 6gb, which is around 100 more? (Everything else is bought and shipping besides this and my ram.) rx 580 8gb is also going for 320 so is it better just to get the 1060 6gb or??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a mini GTX 970 [single fan] too noisy I gave  it to my last son and I bought a Saphire RX580 8GB.

I have been disappointed [temp/noise/perfs] so I had quickly exchange it for a Gainward GTX 1060 6GB.

From my point of view, a GTX 1060 6GB is a good pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2018 at 3:48 PM, oldbear said:

Having a mini GTX 970 [single fan] too noisy I gave  it to my last son and I bought a Saphire RX580 8GB.

I have been disappointed [temp/noise/perfs] so I had quickly exchange it for a Gainward GTX 1060 6GB.

From my point of view, a GTX 1060 6GB is a good pick.

Thank you, as soon as I posted that a solid one hour later I got a deal on a GTX 1060 6GB for 275, had to make it 290 cause I'm impatient 2 day delivery, and my great grandparents gave me $25 for my birthday(cough cough the perks of being a kid you old hags cough cough). Anyhow, going to get that and I've already ordered everything else besides the ram, thank you people for the advice. 

 

Finished my PC last Saturday, and everything is running great.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome !

 

In fact previous AMD CPU were not so good, but it has changed since AMD Ryzen

 

 

Have a look at the hierarchy as it is now :

 

brNilZgh.jpg

 

Source : Test • AMD X470 & Ryzen 5 2600X / Ryzen 7 2700X

 

So it's no more true to say "how bad AMD and Arma are."

Nevertheless if your intend is to get one of the top 5, it's only INTEL, at a price !

 

Back to your question about the MoBo.

This ASUS PRIME Z370-A looks OK, but do you need "M.2 heatsink" or "ASUS Aura Sync", from my point of view an PRIME Z370-P is more than enough if you want to OC your CPU, but the right question is "do you need it ?"

 

Let's remember you said you have an entry level gaming GPU [GTX 1050] meaning that you haven't found an other graphic card or that you are on a budget playing on a 720 or 1080p monitor.

So it's all about expected performances, usage ... and money, what's the plan ?

 

 

Edited by oldbear
English is not my mother tongue but you know that already
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/05/2018 at 10:47 PM, oldbear said:

Welcome !

 

In fact previous AMD CPU were not so good, but it has changed since AMD Ryzen

 

 

Have a look at the hierarchy as it is now :

 

brNilZgh.jpg

 

Source : Test • AMD X470 & Ryzen 5 2600X / Ryzen 7 2700X

 

So it's no more true to say "how bad AMD and Arma are."

Nevertheless if your intend is to get one of the top 5, it's only INTEL, at a price !

 

Back to your question about the MoBo.

This ASUS PRIME Z370-A looks OK, but do you need "M.2 heatsink" or "ASUS Aura Sync", from my point of view an PRIME Z370-P is more than enough if you want to OC your CPU, but the right question is "do you need it ?"

 

Let's remember you said you have an entry level gaming GPU [GTX 1050] meaning that you haven't found an other graphic card or that you are on a budget playing on a 720 or 1080p monitor.

So it's all about expected performances, usage ... and money, what's the plan ?

 

 

Hey,

 

Thanks for the huge help already. Money is moderately tight for myself, hence I'm looking for something not to extreme.

 

How would this run arma?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-LGA1150-USB3-0-USB2-0-Micro/dp/B00HUGPDRM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526492494&sr=8-1&keywords=msi%2Bh81mp33%2Bmotherboard&th=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-BX80646I34170-3-7GHz-Processor-Cache/dp/B00VHKZ6I8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1526492547&sr=8-2&keywords=lga1150+cpu

 

The motherboard must sadly be DDR3 in order to prevent me spending tons on memory.

 

Thankyou!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Markey01 said:

How would this run arma?

Tbh i'd say save your money for a good CPU, i7 700k or better, forget DDR3, you want that ram at DDr4 a min of 16gb and no less then 3000mhz for arma.

i3 no offense is a waste of money for what Arma3 demands.

Cheaper isn't better, the game demands the right tools so to speak or your just going to putz around at 35 fps.

 

If you love the game, then play your card and wait til you can afford some decent parts, because in the end after you do upgrade with something just above 30fps, your

going to then spend more money down the road just to "fix" and or overcome what you were running.

Like myself I saved for 2 months, i had recommendations from a friend who works as a computer tech, and Old Bear here, and seriously about just over 2k later

im playing arma3 at 80+ fps, my smile is so big my lips crack, lol

no more of this shit! :smash::face_palm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@alessiomoreno

Have received my i7-5775C today (ordered 07.05.2018) from AliExpress for 305 USD.

Safely packed, 1 year warranty, only good feedback concerning OC from other buyers.

They have 91 pieces left (29.05.2018)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Intel-Original-Core-I7-5775C-I7-5775C-ES-3-3GHz-14nm-quad-core-65/32837467313.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.37134c4dqw2piN

 

Will start to OC it by the end of the week and will compare it @stock and OC'd to my OC'd i7-4790K 4.8/4.5 GHz core/cache using YAAB (Yet Another Arma Benchmark) -> http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=375092418&searchtext=yaab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ravenhawkhero said:

how will i do with

- gtx 1050

8 gig ddr3

i5-3330 @ 3ghz

 

It will work but you'll get like 35-50fps, really depends on what your playing.

I would recommend upgrading if you can afford it, i would suggest to buy DDr4 ram and a minimum of 16gb at a 3000 mhz freq.

Get an SSD and put the game on it. Hope that helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ Ravenhawkhero : Welcome !

 

From my point of view a [i5-3330/GTX 1050] combo is at the minimum playable level.

The main asset, the Intel i5-3330 is OK.

The GTX 1050 will help to display easily on "Very High" quality level on 720p.

In game, it will run on "Turbo" @ 3.2 GHz and the 6 MB SmartCache will help.

You can expect to play in the 30 FPS range in SP, 20/40 FPS in game with 2000/2500m visibility.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello guys,

 

i was always messing around with the options but doesnt seem to find the right ones so maybe you guys can help me..

 

my rig:

Windows 10 Home 64bit

I5 8400 (cant be overclocked)

MSI GTX 1070 8gb GDDR5  (pretty much the msi delivery standards)

2x DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400ghz

Arma is on an onboard SSD

 

launcher parameters i have so far:


cpu count 6

intel tbb4mallocator 64bit  (if i remember right you can get custom allocs too right?)

maxmem 6144

maxvram 3841

no logs

 

The ingame settings are pretty mixed though since i dont know where i should put them... geforce experience is with the auto adjust no help.. currently playing with around 2.6km sight but i would like to get little bit more fps at least since im around 30

 

edit: well i changed some parameters again (maxmem 9gb, maxvram 6gb and malloc to system default) and now i get 50 fps average in a half full koth server

Edited by K3vokiller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, K3vokiller, welcome.

 

A- The rig

1° the I5 8400 is having a nice 4.00 GHz Turbo, so it's OK

2° the GTX 1070 8GB is more than enough

3° you don't say anything about DDR4 amount but if it's 8 GB (2x4GB), it's OK.

It will be better to get faster RAM , but ATM 8 GB (2x4GB) @3200 MHz is still quite expensive.

 

B-Startup parameters

Unless you are doing tests, get rid of all startup parameters

You can use without counterproductive risks :

-noSplash   ... it disables splash screens

-noLogs  ... so you will not record huge .rpt file when you are playing on a server generating errors

 

C-Video setting

Please do not use the Geforce Experience thing, for it's only based on settings used by players.

That means that if more than 50% of the players do not adjust their game correctly, the "optimized settings" will be inaccurate.

Use 1st the build in autodetection  then after disabling VSync go to AA&PP and use something like that :

 

oJMzK7Yl.jpg

 

Then go back to General and set down "Visibility" Video parameter in order to get the FPS level suiting your usage.

 "Visibility" Video parameter is not a GPU parameter, it's a 100% CPU parameter !

 

Based upon The Old Bear method ™   :don16:

 

 

 

Edited by oldbear
I am really an Old Bear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi oldbear! 

 

I have a problem with Arma 3 and people told me you are the right person to help me!

I can run Arma 3 perfectly fine on ultra settings with 60 fps, but the problem is: As soon as I get shot my game freezes for like a second so I cant do anything.

After that 1 second freeze it goes back to normal... do you know what I could do about it? :/

 

I have a rx 480 nitro 8gb, an i5-7400, a hdd and 2 x 4gb ddr4 2400 hz ram.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6.6.2018 at 12:54 AM, oldbear said:

Hi, K3vokiller, welcome.

 

A- The rig

1° the I5 8400 is having a nice 4.00 GHz Turbo, so it's OK

2° the GTX 1070 8GB is more than enough

3° you don't say anything about DDR4 amount but if it's 8 GB (2x4GB), it's OK.

It will be better to get faster RAM , but ATM 8 GB (2x4GB) @3200 MHz is still quite expensive.

 

B-Startup parameters

Unless you are doing tests, get rid of all startup parameters

You can use without counterproductive risks :

-noSplash   ... it disables splash screens

-noLogs  ... so you will not record huge .rpt file when you are playing on a server generating errors

 

C-Video setting

Please do not use the Geforce Experience thing, for it's only based on settings used by players.

That means that if more than 50% of the players do not adjust their game correctly, the "optimized settings" will be inaccurate.

Use 1st the build in autodetection  then after disabling VSync go to AA&PP and use something like that ....

i have 2x 8 GB sorry forgot to write that. i did everything you have written down there and my average fps is now lower than before. i guess its because the game set most settings to ultra via auto detect i will scale them down a bit..

getting new ram is no option at the moment since its still that expensive and i just upgraded to the ddr4 i have now when i got the 8400.

well anyway thank you for youre advice :D ive also seen that arma isnt even using 50% of my cpu and graphics card so ram could be the bottleneck? or is the engine just that bad?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ K3vokiller : I believe you have not read the end of my post  ...

 

Then go back to General and set down "Visibility" Video parameter in order to get the FPS level suiting your usage.

 "Visibility" Video parameter is not a GPU parameter, it's a 100% CPU parameter !

 

From a practical point of view,  2500/3500 m is OK for most usages.

 

Even if after Visual Upgrade & Apex release performance in Arma3 are also impacted by GPU efficiency, this game is still totally CPU dependent.

I must also add, it's also over sensitive to RAM, amount, frequency and management as well as storage high level perfs greedy.

In order to get the best performances in Arma3, you must get the best CPU performer, a GPU efficient enough, the fastest RAM & SSD affordable.

Nevertheless, even with the best performer you will never reach very high FPS level.

The engine is not "bad", in fact I believe it's very good, doing a lot of things it has not been built for, it's just a bit outdated now.

One of the main visible limitation of the Virtual Engine is its inability to handle parallelism.

That's one of the reasons why BI is working on a new game engine, but that an other story.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ TheDeadlyScorpion : welcome !

Be advised, I am no guru nor tech specialist, only a dedicated armavangelist roaming the Armaverse.

 

Try 1st to tweak your rig following the Old Bear method ™

Don't forget to set down "Visibility" Video parameter in order to get the FPS level suiting your usage.

With a minimum but playable CPU such as the i5-7400 2500m/3000m is a probably OK.

Please run some YAAB* tests in order to have an idea of your rig  level performances.

 

Think about buying a small SSD large enough to have Windows and Arma3 on it.

 

Try not to play on WiFi, but using an Ethernet cable.

 

YAAB ou Yet Another Arma Benchmark -> http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=375092418&searchtext=yaab

 

 

Edited by oldbear
English is not my maternal language, but you already know that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×