Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

@Pete Fox  Speaking about i3,  of course the i3-12100 has been launched Q1' 22  and i3-10100 launched Q2'20 is still in production.

The i3-12100 can get performances at the i7 7700K / R5 3600X level.

Question for you guys, little problem ...  idk but maybe you guys can shed some light on what could be or might be happening.

My computer specs:

• Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz
  • EVGA Z270 FTW K
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8gb SC2 GAMING iCX
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) @3600mhz
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w P2 220-P2-1000-XR
  • Win10 x64bit

I have 4 SSD's

- A drive 1TB - Brand new never used but installed Arma Reforger on it when it released.

- C Drive 500gb - OS system, drive is 40% full.

- G Drive 500gb - Used for video storage, 20% full.

- H Drive 500gb - Used for all my Steam games including Arma 90% full

======

Situation

idk if its an actual update to Arma Reforger that is occurring but when i see it on steam i usually wait til i see news on it which i haven't.

So what happens is i see this would be update, and i let it sit, i come back later and the game is gone, not listed in my ready to play games

in my steam library.

I open up my games list of all the games i have and according to the list reforger is not installed.

Apon opening the icon on my desktop "my computer" which shows all my SSD's my A drive is not there.

This has happened twice now, the first time was last week Thursday my A drive just vanished, i come back the following morning

and the A drive is there and i look at my steam library for the ready to play games list and Arma Reforger is there, its like nothing happened.

Now this morning same thing happened, 2nd time this happened, i get what i think is an update to reforger maybe it is, idk and i let it be as i

was working on some things and didn't want any downloads to inhibit the speed of something i was uploading.

I come back Reforger is gone and so is my A drive, i go to bed, come back turn on the computer and it still shows the A drive is gone,

and reforger is uninstalled at least not showing on the ready to play games list.

I haven't done anything to the A drive past or present, just installed and formatted it ect,. when i first got it over a year ago,

Arma Reforger has been the only thing that i have installed on it since i bought it last year.

As for the game itself i haven't had any issues with it, no crashes, no problems starting or loading it, ect,. i was last playing this past Saturday for about 3hrs

and since then its been fine.  About all i can say about it, i haven't touched anything, no OS, gpu, or anything in terms of updates, tweaks, changes, ect,.

So anyone have an idea whats happening?, as i never had such an issue with a game, or anything like it related to an SSD or even an HDD for that matter.

15 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Question for you guys, little problem ...  idk but maybe you guys can shed some light on what could be or might be happening.

My computer specs:

• Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz
  • EVGA Z270 FTW K
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8gb SC2 GAMING iCX
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) @3600mhz
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w P2 220-P2-1000-XR
  • Win10 x64bit

I have 4 SSD's

- A drive 1TB - Brand new never used but installed Arma Reforger on it when it released.

- C Drive 500gb - OS system, drive is 40% full.

- G Drive 500gb - Used for video storage, 20% full.

- H Drive 500gb - Used for all my Steam games including Arma 90% full

======

Situation

idk if its an actual update to Arma Reforger that is occurring but when i see it on steam i usually wait til i see news on it which i haven't.

So what happens is i see this would be update, and i let it sit, i come back later and the game is gone, not listed in my ready to play games

in my steam library.

I open up my games list of all the games i have and according to the list reforger is not installed.

Apon opening the icon on my desktop "my computer" which shows all my SSD's my A drive is not there.

This has happened twice now, the first time was last week Thursday my A drive just vanished, i come back the following morning

and the A drive is there and i look at my steam library for the ready to play games list and Arma Reforger is there, its like nothing happened.

Now this morning same thing happened, 2nd time this happened, i get what i think is an update to reforger maybe it is, idk and i let it be as i

was working on some things and didn't want any downloads to inhibit the speed of something i was uploading.

I come back Reforger is gone and so is my A drive, i go to bed, come back turn on the computer and it still shows the A drive is gone,

and reforger is uninstalled at least not showing on the ready to play games list.

I haven't done anything to the A drive past or present, just installed and formatted it ect,. when i first got it over a year ago,

Arma Reforger has been the only thing that i have installed on it since i bought it last year.

As for the game itself i haven't had any issues with it, no crashes, no problems starting or loading it, ect,. i was last playing this past Saturday for about 3hrs

and since then its been fine.  About all i can say about it, i haven't touched anything, no OS, gpu, or anything in terms of updates, tweaks, changes, ect,.

So anyone have an idea whats happening?, as i never had such an issue with a game, or anything like it related to an SSD or even an HDD for that matter.

how did you connect your ssd?sata or its is external docking?ssd keeps showing up and vanishing might be sign of either bad ssd or cable itself. try diff sata cable and see if that helps. 

• Like 1

A and B drives were classically bound to floppy disk drives.

Maybe windows has some old obsolete functions for these drives which are causing your problems.

Maybe just using another character solves it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, KrazyBee said:

how did you connect your ssd?

Its sata connection, and the SSD is in a tray in my computer tower.

30 minutes ago, KrazyBee said:

ssd keeps showing up and vanishing might be sign of either bad ssd or cable itself.

Maybe, but its only bad when? When Reforger is updated, otherwise the game runs fine.

SSD and cable are new as of last year, just never got around to useing it.

22 minutes ago, sarogahtyp said:

A and B drives were classically bound to floppy disk drives.

Maybe windows has some old obsolete functions for these drives which are causing your problems.

Maybe just using another character solves it.

Interesting thought, looked it up and it might be very possible thats the issue, whats weird though is why does the A drive dissapear

when Reforger updates, is it accessing something on that drive that has another function,

maybe it cant index it as the one article said. Well i'll do that and then whenever an update comes again we'll see how

it goes, i'll let you guys know what happens on the next update.

Thanks for the tips!

5 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Its sata connection, and the SSD is in a tray in my computer tower.

Maybe, but its only bad when? When Reforger is updated, otherwise the game runs fine.

SSD and cable are new as of last year, just never got around to useing it.

Interesting thought, looked it up and it might be very possible thats the issue, whats weird though is why does the A drive dissapear

when Reforger updates, is it accessing something on that drive that has another function,

maybe it cant index it as the one article said. Well i'll do that and then whenever an update comes again we'll see how

it goes, i'll let you guys know what happens on the next update.

Thanks for the tips!

ok i got you now. its very strange. may be try sarogahtyp soultion see that helps.

The functions allocated to drives A: and B: have varied since the early days of MS DOS, but traces of these changes persist in modern versions of the OS.

In principle, although it is theoretically possible, I advise not to use the letters A and B to designate a system disk, C : remains by default the disk sought by Windows to install the system and certain proprietary software will only work on C :  .

In the case raised by Gunter Severloh, it would probably be necessary to know the mechanisms specific to Steam to have an idea of what is happening.

It's entirely possible that Steam has excluded the use of drives A: and B:

In my opinion, you might as well immediately place the Steam library for Arma Reforger on a disk identified by another letter.

Edited by oldbear
Emoji invasion

15 minutes ago, oldbear said:

In my opinion, you might as well immediately place the Steam library for Arma Reforger on a disk identified by another letter.

Ya its what i did, only way to know for sure that the former problem is solved is to wait for the next update.

I was just ingame and had no issues so, until another update is released we'll see if the drive disappears or not, but from what you and

sarogahtyp explained and i researched after that might be the case, so i think it might be safe to say that i solved the issue,

but i'll let you guys know when another update is released.

Just to let you guys know, i had changed my drive letter to J and yesterday (June 1st) there was an update for

Arma Reforger, low and behold you guys were right, the drive letter being formerly A was the issue, as per the update

nothing happened, the game stayed in the library, and the drive remained, yay

thanks guys for the insights! Cheers!

• Haha 2

Hey guys, hope you're doing well! I was directed here by Gunter Severloh to seek help on my situation. I am currently having an issue with Arma 3 and potentially steam. Basically, for about a month now or so, my game on startup/launch would severally lag/stutter for about 2 minutes each and every time. I have launched the game with and without mods, and I have recently reinstalled the game and the problem still pursues (which was really frustrating considering it took all day).I believe the issue is that Steam is attempting to download/update workshop content each time I launch my game, which causes my game to lag heavily for the first few minutes. I believe this may also be the reason why my game potentially stutters/freezes at times during gameplay. I have a video example of what's going on and a list of my specs/what I have done so far.

What I've done:

- Reset my PC

- Reinstalled Arma 3

- Reset my NVIDIA Control Panel settings

- Updated all my drivers

- Moved the game to a different drive

- Tried countless combinations in terms of launcher params and NVIDIA Control Panel settings

- Reinstalled Steam

My Specs:

- Game ran on an SSD (now on an HDD)

- CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x

- GPU: GTX 1660 Super

- RAM: 16gb 3200 Mhz

- BUILD AGE: Roughly around 2 years now

VIDEO LINK: 

Any help is greatly appreciated, I will try to be as transparent as possible and answer any questions as much I can. Thank you for your time and be safe friends.

@Yyo Hello!

Ok, I never encountered this kind of problem, but we will try to find a way out.

First, let's get back to basics.

- disable all external applications supposed to improve, optimize the operation of the processor, the graphics card, the PC in general. I am thinking in particular of the tools delivered with the motherboards. Disable monitoring apps as well.The goal is to eliminate the causes of conflicts between Windows, Steam and Arma.

- disable the Arma 3 profile created in the NVidia control panel. Video settings should only be made from within the game itself.

- in the BIOS go back to the basic settings.

- in Steam, verify the integrity of the game data -https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/0C48-FCBD-DA71-93EB

- in the Arma launcher restore default parameters, unload all DLC, unload all Mods.

The game alone must then be launched without any other application, browser, or social media.

So tell us how it goes ...

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 1:45 AM, oldbear said:

@Yyo Hello!

Ok, I never encountered this kind of problem, but we will try to find a way out.

First, let's get back to basics.

- disable all external applications supposed to improve, optimize the operation of the processor, the graphics card, the PC in general. I am thinking in particular of the tools delivered with the motherboards. Disable monitoring apps as well.The goal is to eliminate the causes of conflicts between Windows, Steam and Arma.

- disable the Arma 3 profile created in the NVidia control panel. Video settings should only be made from within the game itself.

- in the BIOS go back to the basic settings.

- in Steam, verify the integrity of the game data -https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/0C48-FCBD-DA71-93EB

- in the Arma launcher restore default parameters, unload all DLC, unload all Mods.

The game alone must then be launched without any other application, browser, or social media.

So tell us how it goes ...

Hey Oldbear! I hope you're doing well! So, I have done what you have suggested and to no avail, the problem still pursues. But I have good news! Basically, I found out that it was subscribed steam compositions that caused  the massive lagging/stuttering issues in the first few minutes of my game launching. Now, I have launched the game offline and the stuttering goes away. But I have monitored my steam while my game was stuttering and I noticed that steam was downloading my compositions again upon starting up my arma for some reason. The stuttering would last depending on how many compositions I am subscribed to, an example would be around 2 seconds of stuttering per every composition. What I've done was mention it in the arma 3 troubleshooting channel in the official arma discord, and what I was told is that it would be an issue on my hardware end. But I have talked to other people who have had the same issue as me, and they believe that it may be an issue with either BI or steam. The only fix I know is to just unsubcribe from all steam workshop compositions, which is quite unfortunate but I'd much rather have a more a stable game. I really hope in the future this issue gets resolved. But thanks for your time, Oldbear! I really appreciate your suggestions and help! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Yyo said:

I found out that it was subscribed steam compositions that caused  the massive lagging/stuttering issues in the first few minutes of my game launching.

You have in your other post that the game is now on an HDD?

A disc drive could be adding to your issue, where as im sure you know that an SSD is more stable and smooth.

Your ram being only 16gb might also contribute to the issue, imo more ram like 32 or better at a min of 3000mhz would im sure improve the performance.

My suggestion is to test on the SSD, and if you can get more ram do it.

My question is as you as said as your game is launching you get the stutters, will it do that when ingame?

6 hours ago, Yyo said:

But I have talked to other people who have had the same issue as me, and they believe that it may be an issue with either BI or steam.

BI just recently fixed an issue with steam related to mods not downloading or showing up, that could have been part of the issue.

Lastly what compositions are you subscribed too? Are they vanilla based or require mods, or both?

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 6:55 PM, Gunter Severloh said:

You have in your other post that the game is now on an HDD?

A disc drive could be adding to your issue, where as im sure you know that an SSD is more stable and smooth.

Your ram being only 16gb might also contribute to the issue, imo more ram like 32 or better at a min of 3000mhz would im sure improve the performance.

My suggestion is to test on the SSD, and if you can get more ram do it.

My question is as you as said as your game is launching you get the stutters, will it do that when ingame?

BI just recently fixed an issue with steam related to mods not downloading or showing up, that could have been part of the issue.

Lastly what compositions are you subscribed too? Are they vanilla based or require mods, or both?

Hey Gunter Severloh! Super sorry for the late reply, I've been quite busy lately! But I hope you had a nice Christmas! So, I recently switched my arma 3 back to my SSD but to answer your concern regarding my HDD performance, I had tested the game offline on my HDD and the stuttering had been fixed, but when I launched the game on my HDD with steam online, the stuttering had returned. I had come to the conclusion that Steam had been attempting to download/update (upon my game launching) compositions that I had subscribed to on the workshop, causing massive lag/stuttering. I have tested it with having subscribed to 1 composition, and it would stutter for 2 seconds. Than I had tested with subscribing to 10 compositions, and it would stutter for 20 seconds or so. So the stuttering depends a lot on how many compositions I have subscribed to, regardless of whether they're vanilla or compositions that require mods. I was also contemplating on purchasing more ram, but I just can't help with the idea that the game really needs more than 16gb of ram. Regarding ingame performance, I have played with many mods that alter explosions/AI and I notice I have a bit of a spike/freeze for 2 seconds or so when either combat commences or if there is an explosion. But this usually only happens once and the rest is playable. But in vanilla, my ingame gameplay runs smooth as butter. I have also downloaded the updated launcher from the Discord that fixed the issue with the steam workshop mods not showing in the launcher. I just believe that Arma 3 just might not be compatible with my certain PC build regarding compositions. I have tried everything under the sun, and nothing seems to work. As of now, my game runs fine without having any compositions downloaded, but I really wish I can have subscribed compositions and such. Anyways, I truly appreciate and am super grateful for your help/time with my problem. I still love Arma 3 after all this, it's been a very toxic relationship haha. But I hope you have wonderful new years, Gunter Severloh! Please stay safe and take care!

• Like 1

I wonder if Intel is still the best choice for Arma  3 and most importantly for Arma 4.

Which is the better choice R5 7600x - R7 7700x  or 13700k?

I need some guidance if someone can help, thanks!

For Arma3, nothing has changed, more than the overall efficiency, regardless of brand, the processor with the highest boost frequency on a core is the best. Today, the Core i7-13700K like the Ryzen 7 7700X both show a maximum frequency of 5.4 GHz in Turbo/Boost, they have an L3 cache memory of 30 MB and 32 MB respectively. In conclusion, they are at the same level of performance for Arma 3.

For Arma 4, we know nothing... On the other hand, by observing the evolution with Enfusion in Arma Reforger, we can say that on the one hand this trend will continue for the processor despite the finally open possibilities of modern multithreading, but that moreover the performance of the graphics card should be decisive

• Like 1

Im looking for info on what CPU to upgrade to. I currently run Arma on an i7-4790 16GB RAM and a 1060 6 GB. YAAB shows 42 fps consistently,not bad but my target FPS is higher since i started getting heavy into making combined arms missions.

Price range is not an issue as im willing to "future proof" things and have the best performance for Arma3(wont be looking at Arma4 until some 5 years after its released)

Hoping someone can suggest some components. im assuming il need a new Mobo and PSU and cooler for CPU. So far the best iv read about intel wise(i want intel) is a i7-13700K. Will this run Arma3 well at 60 fps(1080p target / 60 fps) with AI heavy single player scenarios? 

Again,iv not ever changed the CPU before,totally new when it comes to PC's though not clueless about terms used and or performance,i managed to tweak my current system over the years to even get 42fps on YAAB which is really good comparing to others results.

Any help appreciated

Yyo

I can confirm the Stuttering has to do with the Workshop Compositions.  

Best bet is to download the compositions, save them as your own compositions and then delete the Workshop ones.

Also these micro stutters are most likely from the HDD you are using. 

Go back to the SSD and those should be gone.

ok today i bought a new PC
ryzen 5 7600,
gpu AMD 7800 xt 16 gb
RAM 32gb ddr5 6000mhz  
1920 x 1080 all ultra in multiplayer 60 fps
not 61 not 59 stuck at 60 fps a bit weird but everything was smooth

ps SAM enabled