Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

On 10/26/2021 at 9:03 AM, Valken said:

Show us how much ARMA loves it! 😄

Unfortunately no time now.

Bought a 280 mm AiO, since on air it's impossible to cool 11900K, because its memory controller gets very hot, due to crazy RAM OC.

And since the memory controller is inside the CPU itself, it's "boiling" )))

With lower RAM frequency and higher timings it's possible to cool it with Noctua NH-D15.

Will see if I can do 4000 MHz 13-14-14 instead of 14-15-15, when I have time.

But avg. FPS is around 110 or slightly higher in YAAB 1080p standard.

• Like 1

Which brand AIO did you buy? I ask because you've previously recommended not using them.

On 10/30/2021 at 9:10 AM, Tankbuster said:

Which brand AIO did you buy? I ask because you've previously recommended not using them.

EK-AiO Elite 280 D-RGB.

Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 360 I bought first, was of very bad build quality and performed very poorly, actually worse than my Noctua NH-D15S.

Now this is interesting because I've always been pro AIO and you have been anti them, in general.

I always said to you that I didn't know of any failures.  that's not quite true.  A friend did have  a failure of the tubing where it enters the radiator and in this case, it was an Alphacool.

It means nothing in the grand scheme of things of course because it happened some years ago and 1 isolated failure shouldn't reflect on the general reputation of a manufacturer, but it was enough to make ne buy Corsair.

I don't like Corsair AiO.

It's cheap (production), only RMA or throw away, with aluminium radiator, relatively small coldplate with microchannels only in the center and can only be used as is + crap and necessary software always running in the background.

• Like 1

My workhorse I7-4790K is on water cooler but with an old Corsair H50!  It was the best value for money back then as it cost around a good air cooler. It cost me only around 40-50 USd back then which was a lot. 😄

It is way hotter than most CPUs but where I am, it is a necessity too... the ambient temp is high around here 9 months out of the year.

Waiting for the Intel 12xxx series to come out and hope it will drop the Ryzen 5x00 series down in price. I am OK to stick with good fast DDR4 with low CL. Will just buy a new SSD and unplug my game SSD into it with the old 1060GTX until GPU prices get back down to something reasonable. 

Or get a 10600KF or 10700, 11700KF depending on price.

Don't buy Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora AiO, its quality and performance are really bad.

Only on paper it seems to be good.

Will see if I can return it and buy EK AiO instead.

• Sad 1

@Groove_C Hello

I believe you must ...

1° explain why after being very enthusiastic about Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora AiO you you changed your mind.

2° edit the previous posts which are almost advertising for Alphacool at least with a note explaining that things did not go as planned.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 9:26 AM, oldbear said:

@Groove_C Hello

I believe you must ...

explain why after being very enthusiastic about Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora AiO you changed your mind.

When I opened the box, even without touching anything, I could directly see that the finish quality was rather mediocre/cheap, be it the radiator or waterblock-reservoir-pump unit.

I also searched for info before buying it and seen a lot of reports about the pump failing relatively quickly and fans being really cheap (no good pressure/volume and a lot of noise).

But I thought that fans can easily be replaced by Noctua and as one can buy the pump separately any time, it wouldn't be a problem for me.

I really wanted to have everything copper and have the ability to service it and modify/expend.

But it's not even the pump or the fans in the end.

I installed it and despite much more coolant than inside Noctua NH-D15 and more radiator fins, it was hotter than Noctua and the temp increased even faster than on Noctua.

It was a real pain to install it, because the mechanism contains too many unnecessary parts that also make it less solid, more flexible, which is of course bad.

The worst are 4 springs that must apply pressure for good contact with the CPU and allow for good heat transfer.

And this is the biggest problem, before pump and fans.

The springs are really thin/cheap and can be easily squeezed together with just 2 fingers.

So you can forget about good pressure on the CPU and about efficient heat transfer.

Fans and pump spinning at their max for nothing, since heat can't really be transfered from the CPU - the coolant stays cool, because of thin/cheap pressure springs + really not solid fixation mechanism.

Now ordered EK-AiO Elite 280 D-RGB, because it has the most powerful pump among all existing AiOs, can be refilled through an additional opening in the radiator and it has a very good coldplate - not too thick and microchannels covering a big area.

+ the pressure on the CPU is very even and strong/good and the mounting mechanism is the simplest and most reliable among all existing AiOs.

I don't have place for 4 of its fans (push-pull), I don't need RGB.

It's only because of the pump I bought it.

EK-AiO Basic and D-RGB, so all non-Elite EK AiOs, have "same" pump, but with lower max rpm.

Elite has 3300 rpm pump, Basic and D-RGB (non-Elite) have only 2600 rpm physically "same" pump.

Despite only 27 mm radiator, EK-AiO performs same or marginally better than Arctic Liquid Freezer II with 42 mm radiator, because of more powerful pump and better heat transfer thanks to higher pressure on the CPU and more even contact with the CPU.

Arctic Liquid Freezer II also can't be refilled contrary to EK-AiO.

And I consider this as important criteria, because some of the coolant evaporates through tubing over time and air in the system can make the pump fail or significantly shorten its lifespan and also negatively impacts temperature.

Corsair pump (left), EK pump (right) 😏

Corsair uses Asetek pumps, like most of other AiO manufacturers (Fractal Design, EVGA, NZXT, Lian Li, Phanteks, Thermaltake, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte etc.)

9K7UMeP.jpg

Arctic Liquid Freezer II pump is better than Corsair and other AiOs with Asetek pumps, but not as good/powerful as EK pump.

VeJ5DvL.jpg

The bigger the pump the less efforts it makes to do the job it has to accomplish and less noise, because a big pump doesn't have to spin at crazy rpm, all the time on its limit and will survive longer.

Just my opinion, but you should not edit old posts because your opinion changed. Instead you should make subsequent posts saying something like "at the time, I thought this but now, I think something else".

Apart from anything else, my replies to you now look like nonsense.

• Like 1

I hope that EK AiO will be able to keep my 11900K lower than 90°C or closer to 80°C peak in Prime95 (non-AVX).

Unfortunately I have a really bad quality cores on my 11900K - too high voltage is required for a given frequency.

At least its integrated memory controller is relatively good.

I hope to do 5.0 GHz cores and 4.5 GHz cache with the AiO.

In Arma it won't be as hot as in Prime95 (non-AVX) for sure.

1 hour ago, Tankbuster said:

Just my opinion, but you should not edit old posts... my replies to you now look like nonsense.

Now your replies make sense, again 😉

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/187603-will-my-pc-run-arma3-what-cpugpu-to-get-what-settings-what-system-specifications/?do=findComment&comment=3448757

Armaholics, the 12600K is out and looks to be THE best cpu for ARMA based on IPC  - same as Ryzen but can turbo or be oc'ed to 5GHZ: original article here https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i5_12600k_processor_review,7.html

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=757

If you pair that with FAST DDR4-4000CL15 instead of expensive and slower DDR5-5xxx with CL40 timings, you have the best ARMA system right now.

Only concern is the price of the new motherboards are nearly twice as much as before with good VRM and the CPU is HOT compared to previous Ryzen or Intel 11x00 series.

if you have ryzen 5000 series, for the GPU is always better Nvdia (for physix)? 
I mean with the ryzen cpu and gpu you can enable the SMA. Better performanced for the cpu

On 11/6/2021 at 10:40 AM, Valken said:

Armaholics, the 12600K is out and looks to be THE best cpu for ARMA based on IPC  - same as Ryzen but can turbo or be oc'ed to 5GHZ: original article here https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i5_12600k_processor_review,7.html

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=757

If you pair that with FAST DDR4-4000CL15 instead of expensive and slower DDR5-5xxx with CL40 timings, you have the best ARMA system right now.

Only concern is the price of the new motherboards are nearly twice as much as before with good VRM and the CPU is HOT compared to previous Ryzen or Intel 11x00 series.

DDR4 4000 CL14 costs around 500€ and there is little chance one is able to use it at its 4000 MHz.

DDR5 at only 5200 MHz and relatively loose XMP timings, is not worse, if not better in majority of games, because it's quad channel vs. dual channel for DDR4.

Also it would be wise to wait for DDR5 kit with close to 6000 or past 6000 MHz with sub CL40 XMP timings to then manually optimise them additionally.

So a Z690 motherboard is what you would need.

You would also need at least a 280 mm AiO.

On 11/6/2021 at 11:19 AM, zukov said:

if you have ryzen 5000 series, for the GPU is always better Nvdia (for physix)? 
I mean with the ryzen cpu and gpu you can enable the SMA. Better performanced for the cpu

Historically, Arma never worked particularly well with AMD GPUs, FPS and visually wise. But that's because of DX9 and DX11, that runs better on nVidia GPUs.

Next Arma will be on DX12 and it should run same or better on AMD GPUs.

nVidia PhysiX in Arma is done on CPU only, so no need for a nVidia GPU because of PhysiX.

A 5600X with V-Cache (Q1 2022) + B550 board and 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 MHz 16-18-18 Crucial Ballistix would be a better choice, since DDR4 is cheaper, as well as B550 boards and a 240 mm EK-AiO Basic is fine for it.