Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

1 hour ago, Groove_C said:

Well, you don't tell us your RAM temp, room temp, RAM timings and frequency. RAM voltage alone means nothing.

4000Cl15, i think i shared a picture with you in the past. 

1 hour ago, oldbear said:

It should be remembered that we run our PCs in different climatic conditions.

You`re right, my room temp is @20 - 25 °C most of time.

Nonetheless i never had a single problem with my RAM, even @room temps of 30+ °C. 

But i have to admit, that i never checked my RAM-temps before.+

28 minutes ago, Smart Games said:

Well 4000 and CL15 is only the frequency and only the first of several dozens of timings.

Also, just so you know, 3866 CL14 outperforms 4000 CL15, requires less voltage and only 29x multiplier (with 100:133) instead of multi 40 (100:100), which is harder for the memory controller.

So it's just a nice number )))

17 hours ago, Smart Games said:

If you can do 3900 MHz CL14, it's even better than 3866 MHz CL14.

But both are better than 4000 MHz CL15.

On 9/13/2021 at 5:29 PM, Groove_C said:

Well 4000 and CL15 is only the frequency and only the first of several dozens of timings

As I have mentioned, I shared a picture with all the settings with you in the past. 

From what I can remember, 3866Cl14 was unstable. 

On 8/24/2021 at 6:43 AM, Groove_C said:

Well, apparently literally nobody needs to have 70+ FPS min instead of 70+ FPS avg and that with the same CPU and that today and not in several years, with a new stock build.

Apparently people should literally better waste their money to buy a whole new system already in few years, instead of OC'ing and still keeping their current system for at least few years more, with very good FPS, equal or even slightly better than next gen hardware at stock.

Or being "happy" about even lower FPS after some time, in newer and more demanding games, since the system was build so much on budget, even when financially it was possible to invest only marginally more, for it to be much much better vs. not so much higher cost.

Really "good" advice - build a budget system and in few years build another budget system, and in few more years do it again.

Such "clever" approach will result in much more money wasted on 2-3 mediocre systems than what only one and much better system would have cost, for only marginally more $$$/€€€.

And I'm not talking about buying a better or more expensive CPU, but about OC'ing what you already have and in order to do this, invest marginally more on better RAM and cooler and a solid, yet not expensive motheboard.

This will give you at least few years more of life on your current system and will push back the time, when you will need to build a completely new system, which will cost a lot of money.

A good example is my 2014 system that despite 8 threads and despite only DDR3 and only 2400 MHz, thanks to OC, gave me same FPS that oldbear's 5600X only in 2021, being a completely new build and not only one build since 2014, while I'm on the same build since then.

He went to an i7-7700K, then to R5 3600 and now R5 5600X , while all this time, until today I kept my 2014 system.

And even if he's still using his i7-7700K as main system, it doesn't change the fact that a stock R5 5600X from 2021 is needed to have only same performance as my 2014 OC'ed system.

It's not to say how bad his build is or how good my build is.

It only shows that I made the right choice in 2014 and invested in the right components, for only marginally higher cost.

And by doing so, I saved really a lot of money, since it's still the same system.

I’m trying to upgrade my old computer but I’m on a budget this is the Specs: RAM: 4x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Motherboard: Z77 Extreme 4 GPU: HIS AMD Radeon HD7850 IceQX CPU: Intel I7 3770K Power Supply: NZXT 650W

I mainly play Arma 3 usually KotH and sometimes play War Thunder, Squad and Tarkov. What do you recommend upgrading? I do want to upgrade my CPU and MoBo. And that means most likely my RAM needs to be upgraded too right?

If you want free performance, OC your CPU to the MAX single core performance ~ 4.4-4.8 GHz, tighten and lower your RAM timings, and try to OC your RAM speed as much as possible.

Otherwise, the next thing to do would be to upgrade a new MB/RAM/CPU such as an AMD 5600x with DDR4-3600CL14 RAM and oc the RAM to 3733 MHZ 1:1 infinity fabric clocks or 3800 if possible. 

Or you can wait for the NEXT GEN and see if the price is lower from Intel or it will push the older system like AMD 5xxx down in price.

7 minutes ago, Valken said:

If you want free performance, OC your CPU to the MAX single core performance ~ 4.4-4.8 GHz, tighten and lower your RAM timings, and try to OC your RAM speed as much as possible.

Otherwise, the next thing to do would be to upgrade a new MB/RAM/CPU such as an AMD 5600x with DDR4-3600CL14 RAM and oc the RAM to 3733 MHZ 1:1 infinity fabric clocks or 3800 if possible. 

Or you can wait for the NEXT GEN and see if the price is lower from Intel or it will push the older system like AMD 5xxx down in price.

What’s a good MB? I do want to replace my MB because I do feel like it’s faulty or starting to fail.

3 hours ago, Andrew Chen said:

What’s a good MB? I do want to replace my MB because I do feel like it’s faulty or starting to fail.

I know people who have purchased the MSI Tomahawk for 5950x CPU and OC'ed it. Runs cool and is on 24 hours doing video rendering. This was HIGHLY recommended due to superior VRM and good OC ability.

I would steer away from Gigabyte for the moment. Seems they are in a bad place.

Asus is good but expensive.

Asrock is good but the ones with the top vRM are also expensive, same price as the Tomahawk actually as it used to be lower in price.

6 hours ago, Valken said:

I know people who have purchased the MSI Tomahawk for 5950x CPU and OC'ed it. Runs cool and is on 24 hours doing video rendering. This was HIGHLY recommended due to superior VRM and good OC ability.

I would steer away from Gigabyte for the moment. Seems they are in a bad place.

Asus is good but expensive.

Asrock is good but the ones with the top vRM are also expensive, same price as the Tomahawk actually as it used to be lower in price.

So if I base it off what you gave me the MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk and the AMD Ryzen 5 5600X. On PCPartPicker it gives me an compatibility issue of “Some AMD B550 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.” What should I do? Is it okay and I should go ahead with it? And if I use Crucial Ballistics 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 CL1600 what would my minimum FPS be even if I’m running the game with my old GPU, PSU, and on 

HDD?

You need to check with your dealer if the MSI Tomahawk has the bios already flashed. It should though.

The RAM you WANT to get is CL14, not NOT CL16.

Go back a few posts here, look at all graphs. You can see how high the FPS is because of both the CPU and RAM speeds.

IT matters a LOT in ARMA 3.

I think any Micron B die DDR3600 CL14 would be perfect if you can find it and afford it. You might be able to increase the voltage of the DDR3600 CL16 to lower the CL to 14. You need to do research for this before you buy it.

See this post 2 pages back and look at the specs below:

ArmA_3_Screenshot_2021.05.27_-_14.39.43.

unknown.png

Hi guys. is AMD ryzen 9 5900HX (LAPTOP with rtx3080 16gb) good for ARMA 3? 

My current laptop is Acer predator helius 300 (İ7-8750 , gtx1060 6gb). and i can play ARMA 3 with low settings.

Or which laptop is good for ARMA 3? (value 2000-3000)

@KZM2 Hi, welcome !

1°, I don't understand why you are playing Arma3 on Low settings on your laptop.

it must be remembered that what most important with Arma 3 is the frequency and efficiency of the processor.

In the case of the Core i7-8750H with a Turbo maxi at 4.10 GHz, the only problem is that the cooling of the CPU must be efficient enough so that the CPU can keep this frequency.

2°, Roughly with Arma, the CPU calculates, the GPU displays the result.

You need a sufficient graphics card from APEx and the GTX 1060 is a good candidate for the job.

So, dont expect a high performance jump with a rtx3080 !

With this laptop since it has fast 16 GB of DDR4, it must be played in Very High global preset but limiting the global visibility parameter to relieve the CPU load.

On 9/23/2021 at 7:07 AM, Valken said:

You need to check with your dealer if the MSI Tomahawk has the bios already flashed. It should though.

The RAM you WANT to get is CL14, not NOT CL16.

Go back a few posts here, look at all graphs. You can see how high the FPS is because of both the CPU and RAM speeds.

IT matters a LOT in ARMA 3.

I think any Micron B die DDR3600 CL14 would be perfect if you can find it and afford it. You might be able to increase the voltage of the DDR3600 CL16 to lower the CL to 14. You need to do research for this before you buy it.

See this post 2 pages back and look at the specs below:

ArmA_3_Screenshot_2021.05.27_-_14.39.43.

unknown.png

Ahhhh okay. So for example if I copy this. 5600X, 16GB CL14 and the B550 Tomahawk. I should be set to go. The questions I have now is it says the RAM exceeds the CPU recommended max and that’s why we overclock it to fix that correct? And what video settings do I play on to get maximum in game performance. Is it at the lowest settings or like high to prevent frame drops or stuttering?

2 hours ago, Andrew Chen said:

Ahhhh okay. So for example if I copy this. 5600X, 16GB CL14 and the B550 Tomahawk. I should be set to go. The questions I have now is it says the RAM exceeds the CPU recommended max and that’s why we overclock it to fix that correct? And what video settings do I play on to get maximum in game performance. Is it at the lowest settings or like high to prevent frame drops or stuttering?

If you set everything to the above, and it IS stable, then yes, you will be good to go. 

Yes, you get RAM that is FASTER or close to your TARGET and OC it because it has a higher chance of hitting that performance. If you go cheap on RAM, you will spend a ton of time trying to squeeze more performance but  might fail and regret not spending an extra 50-100 USD to game at your target performance. 

In otherwords, think how much you will game, think how long it will take for you the earn that price difference and divide it by the total time. If you game 1 hour a day, divide the cost by 365. Then think how long it would take you to make the difference back vs banging your head on the KB because its not fast enough for you. RAM is cheaper than medical bills. 

Note you need to understand you need to also consider these items not mentioned:

GOOD Power Supply - Get a Silver or Gold rated power supply UP TO double your total system power. Why? Because PSU are rated for their MAX OUTPUT. Getting a better PSU, running it at HALF the MAX capacity will keep the PSU cooler and longer life. Ask ANYONE who runs their CAR at MAX RPM all the time? No one...it would shorten the life of their car engine. IF you run a FAST car at half the max performance ,but it still faster than a slow car at MAX performance you get a longer life car at the speed you want.

If you have no money, use your existing PSU but be aware the PSU is the literally the BLOODLINE of your PC. Good clean power in, good performance with longer lifespan.

Good CPU, VRM and RAM cooler. If you OC the CPU, at least get 2 cheap fans blowing on the VRM and RAM in low RPM mode to keep it quiet and get air over those 2 items. It is still over 32-40 C for me so I have a fan on RAM and VRM when I game to keep it stable.

Go back a few pages and look at the CPU cooler Groove C recommended for both AIR  and Water cooling - Arctic Liquid Freezer.  No fanboy RGB bling bling, just a really good CPU cooler doing its job at a good price compared to every other over priced brand.

The above settings are testing at STANDARD preset within ARMA 3. Obviously once you increase the visual settings, the performance will be less, but we use STANDARD to measure CPU/RAM performance and to take the load off the GPU.

You can ask your shop if it is local to setup everything for you and stick it into a case. If you will mail order, double check the RAM model and the CPU will be a lottery. I am sure you get up to 4.8 GHZ single core, maybe 5+ GHZ boosting by following this guide from another AMD Ryzen user who gets 5+ GHZ on all cores but with a 5800x:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/amd-curve-optimizer-5800x-5100mhz.435146/

I run a 1060 GTX at Ultra with nearly 40-80 FPs depending on the map, online with the server handling the AI. Anything BETTER than a 1060 GTX with 6GB of ram would be enough for  1080p.

If you have a 1440p screen, get a 1070 GTX or better.

If you have a 4K screen, get a 1080 GTX or better.

The visual settings that affect FPS the most to me were Shadows distance (anything above 50 shows FPS impact), object distance and overall objects. Everything else really did not matter much on the 1060 GTX within 1-2 FPS. 

4 hours ago, Andrew Chen said:

Don't use this settings because this is samsung b-die not micron rev.b. Use Thaiphoon Burner to see which mem chip that kit have then try some of this timings for your memory Zen RAM OC

On 9/4/2021 at 7:37 PM, Groove_C said:

So your wife/girlfriend shouldn't approve the upcoming upgrade, since you already have 30+ FPS 🤣

You're right, as ever. Let's not tell her though.  😀

Hello guys!

Thinking about buying a new 11900kf / 10900kf / 5950x processor.
What results can I get with these processors at ultra/standart settings without the S button in the benchmark (to compare with my current processor)?

Obviously with good OC RAM and i want use CPU OC.

my GPU 2070 super

And want to buy good ram for better performance with new CPU

And one more question. One guy said that he saw a table in which there is a list of processor comparisons in the arma 3. Does anyone have such a table?

@SUICIDAL EMO Hello and welcome to our Armaverse territory 😎

First, it would be important that you tell us what your current processor is ...

To my knowledge, there is no recent comparison table of Arma3 CPUs performance.

Because of the intrinsic limitations of the now obsolete game engine, in my opinion, there is a level of performance that you need at least to play well, that is to say to get at least more than 30 FPS whatever the circumstances. I get this result on Arma 3 with these 3 configurations ...

- i7-7700K/RX 5700 8 GB/16 GB DDR4 3200 C16 on 1080p / 144 Hz monitor.

- R7 3700X/RX 6700 XT 12 GB/16 GB DDR4 3800 C16 on 1440p / 144 Hz monitor.

- R5 5600X/RTX 2060 6 GB/16 GB DDR4 3600 C16 on 1440p / 144 Hz monitor

... to give examples. There is a significant performance gain between the R7 3700X and the R5 5600X which shows the importance of the operating frequency of the processor and the management of cache memory areas for the game.

It is therefore possible for an "enthusiast" user to seek higher performance in the game by using a processor operating faster with good management of cache memories and high-performance RAM knowing that the gains may be limited in the context of the game itself because of the limitations already mentioned depending on usage, server settings, etc.

Based on the information I find here and there, I would suggest for example ...

- i9-10900K/RTX 2060 6 GB/32 GB DDR4 3200 C16 on 1440p / 144 Hz monitor.

- R9 5900X/RTX 2060 6 GB/16 GB DDR4 3800 C14 on 1440p / 144 Hz monitor

@oldbear hello!

right now I have 3700x, 2070super and 3600cl16 ram, 1080p

yaab benchmark

ultra settings without S key - 44 avg fps

for some reason I will be upgrading the cpu, mobo and ram

and now I want to understand with which cpu I can achieve maximum performance.

I did not find any tests in the web with these cpu, so I want to understand and compare, which cpu will be better in this game.  and how many avg frames will be in the benchmark on the ultra preset in 1080… 

On 10/21/2021 at 3:42 PM, SUICIDAL EMO said:

@oldbear hello!

right now I have 3700x, 2070super and 3600cl16 ram, 1080p

yaab benchmark

ultra settings without S key - 44 avg fps

for some reason I will be upgrading the cpu, mobo and ram

and now I want to understand with which cpu I can achieve maximum performance.

I did not find any tests in the web with these cpu, so I want to understand and compare, which cpu will be better in this game.  and how many avg frames will be in the benchmark on the ultra preset in 1080… 

You know you can get FREE performance if you find out exactly what RAM kit you have and lower the timings and increase the SPEED, if possible.

Or you can think about a 5800x CPU + FASTER RAM. It should simply pop into your system with a Bios update, assuming your motherboard can support a 5x00x CPU.

It also depends on what OTHER games you are interested in as well so you should get a new CPU that can benefit other games and applications as well.

If you want to go CHEAP, check your MB compatibility and consider a 5600x, faster ram and a good cpu cooler. If you look back a few pages, the 5600x is a good CPU. The 5800x and 5900x are better with more cores and possibly better maxed turbo frequencies due to better quality chiplets.

Tried out Arma 3 after a while with an upgraded Windows from Home to Pro but I can't really see taking advantage of Large pages or the Malloc CMA.

In fact CMA returns always as normal pages instead of large pages.. Performance is worse than 5 months ago.

Might be that I'm doing something wrong.

@Valken My question was specifically about which of these overclocked CPUs (11900kf,10900kf,5950x) will perform better in this game (with good memory and liquid three-section cooling)

Of course, I play not only this game, but here I want to get the maximum FPS.  because in other games the difference will not be noticeable, but in Arma, every fps is important 🙂

14 minutes ago, SUICIDAL EMO said:

@Valken My question was specifically about which of these overclocked CPUs (11900kf,10900kf,5950x) will perform better in this game (with good memory and liquid three-section cooling)

Of course, I play not only this game, but here I want to get the maximum FPS.  because in other games the difference will not be noticeable, but in Arma, every fps is important 🙂

Scroll back one page and look at the picture from Groove_C. If you can setup a PC to run like his, you can get the same performance.

So far, he has THE FASTEST ARMA system that I know of, but under those exact specs and silicone lottery. He might be even faster now with Winter coming soon.

The second fastest was a 5800x or 5900x breaking 100 FPS with good memory running at 2000 MHZ 1:1 IF with the CPU. Scroll back 1 or 2 pages to find that post that I had referred to. The 5950x might get the same or better performance if you get a CPU with golden memory controller. I think the  5950x has THE best binned chiplets from AMD but no gurantees.

9 hours ago, Groove_C said:

Now I have my RAM at 4000 MHz 14-15-15.

Arma loves it 😏

Show us how much ARMA loves it! :D