Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

10 hours ago, Valken said:

You should make sure your RAM's Cas Latency is as low as possible. 3200 is relatively slow. Intel can get the pure MHZ high or latency low like CL14 @ 3800 or even 4200 with CL 16/17.

Then your CPU side will be optimized.

Buy the fastest RAM you can afford to not leave performance on the table.

I don't have the system yet. I was wondering if you know if there is a good tutorial or beginner steps to overclocking ram. The ram I have in the system is Spectrix d41 3200 16gb. I was just planning on using the xmp profile and calling it a day. Though I'm assuming i'd leave a lot of performance on the table. I don't know how ram pairs to performance so If you could help me understand it more I'd be interested in messing with it. I don't know anything lol or if need be I’ll buy a better kit if it would increase performance in my build. If it’s needed

6 hours ago, oldbear said:

@dawayn2001   Could you tell us about the "3200 kit" you are running ?

If it's a G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL14-14-14-34  kit, it's quite right 😎

It's spectrix d41 16gb  3200. Idk much about timings or ram in general. Do you think that I could pull that 50/60 fps in KOTH or huge scale servers ?

4 hours ago, dawayn2001 said:

It's spectrix d41 16gb  3200. Idk much about timings or ram in general. Do you think that I could pull that 50/60 fps in KOTH or huge scale servers ?

ARMA is an odd game engine in that 3D rendering is usually REALLY optimized, for the size of the maps.

But the AI and in game FUNCTIONS such as explosions or physics are ALL CPU calculations.

And since the engine runs these scripts only using 1 thread or 1 core, your CPU speed + RAM performance will GREATLY affect it.

So on the server, if there are tons of AI or players, it would depend on the SERVER CPU performance.

When you play in COOP or Single Player, YOUR CPU performance will GREATLY affect you for AI, physics and game effects!!!

Just wanted to set your expectations.

If I were you, get RAM as fast as possible. Read backwards this thread for about 5-8 pages and STUDY the graphs we have show.

Here, I did some work for you. Goto these pages and READ through it:

Look at the BENCHMARK GRAPHS of CPU and RAM speeds. Note the CL or CAS LATENCY of those RAM. It greatly affects the performance.

The BEST buy options right now NEW would be either an Intel 10x00 CPU, NOT the new 11x00, or Ryzen 3 5x00 series with FAST RAM, and SSD.

You can see the Ryzen broke 100 FPS in standard for the first time. That is incredible for this game engine!

12 hours ago, dawayn2001 said:

I don't have the system yet. I was wondering if you know if there is a good tutorial or beginner steps to overclocking ram. The ram I have in the system is Spectrix d41 3200 16gb. I was just planning on using the xmp profile and calling it a day. Though I'm assuming i'd leave a lot of performance on the table. I don't know how ram pairs to performance so If you could help me understand it more I'd be interested in messing with it. I don't know anything lol or if need be I’ll buy a better kit if it would increase performance in my build. If it’s needed

Start by overclocking your CPU, then your GPU and then, only then, your RAM. The reason is that overclocking RAM has potentially disastrous consequences compared to CPU and GPU overclock. Moreover testing the solidity of RAM overclock is more difficult compared to a CPU and GPU overclock. Also, what resolution will you be playing at? 1080p? 1440p? 2160p? Because the higher you go, the lower the performance increases from overclocks. Once you've got DDR4-3200 RAM running at XMP, you'll only see minor increases in performance (+1 to +5 fps) for huge increases in price (in some regions of the world DDR4-3600 can be x2 price of DDR4-3200), i.e. it'd be more cost effective to allocate that extra cash to a better CPU or GPU or even HSF.

I'm buying a 10900K next month, since 5900X too expensive, 5800X too hot, voltage too high for lower than 5900/5950X frequency and 11900K is garbage.

10700K or 10850K would have been cheaper and still more than enough cores for Arma, but they're not as good as 10900K regarding frequency and voltage and temperature.

On 4/10/2021 at 2:13 AM, Groove_C said:

I'm buying a 10900K next month, since 5900X too expensive, 5800X too hot, voltage too high for lower than 5900/5950X frequency and 11900K is garbage.

10700K or 10850K would have been cheaper and still more than enough cores for Arma, but they're not as good as 10900K regarding frequency and voltage and temperature.

I was looking at the new 11x series again. Seems the 11400F may be the killer buy right now. 

6 cores up to 4.4 GHZ but the power usage is high. Needs a water cooler!

Or maybe a 10400K or 10600K  OC'ed to 5+ GHZ with B450 MB and fast RAM with good power control maxed out. 

It is too bad the Ryzen 5600X and 5 series are so expensive right now.

1 hour ago, Valken said:

I was looking at the new 11x series again. Seems the 11400F may be the killer buy right now. 

6 cores up to 4.4 GHZ but the power usage is high. Needs a water cooler!

Or maybe a 10400K or 10600K  OC'ed to 5+ GHZ with B450 MB and fast RAM with good power control maxed out. 

It is too bad the Ryzen 5600X and 5 series are so expensive right now.

11400F frequency all cores too low, power draw too high, RAM it can accept is max 3600 MHz.

10400F even slower.

B450 boards are limited to less than 3000 MHz RAM.

10600K is good.

Would need a Z490 board for RAM to be able to operate at more than 3000 MHz.

At least Asus TUF Z490 I would say.

@Groove_CGood advice.

We just need to find the right MB with good VRMs and a heatsink that will allow the 10600K to OC to 5 GHZ without thermal throttling.

It appears it requires a 240 mm AIO Water cooler to achieve this. That is around 200 USD more! But this would apply to any CPU when OC'ed anyways as the stock cooler cannot allow MAX OC and stability.

9 hours ago, Groove_C said:

@ValkenArctic Liquid Freezer II 240 or better 280 mm don't cost 200 USD.

I was always looking at Corsair AIO! The Artic AIO are about 99 USD from Amazon! Not a bad price at all but it seems there may be some quality issues with the fans. Good advice!

99 USD is not bad for 240 mm AIO!

6 hours ago, Valken said:

I was always looking at Corsair AIO! The Artic AIO are about 99 USD from Amazon! Not a bad price at all but it seems there may be some quality issues with the fans. Good advice!

99 USD is not bad for 240 mm AIO!

Corsair have a small cheap weak plastic pump and thin radiator.

You pay only for Corsair brand, RGB and useless software.

Arctic has a massive metallic pump, massive radiator and their warranty was recently upped to 6 years instead of only 2 before.

No RGB bling bling, no software needed and only cable to power it all up.

Cools better than Corsair.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 8:13 PM, Groove_C said:

Hello there,

i want to share my experience, just switched from 8700k to 5800x yesterday and i dont think its too hot, well it might be with stock bios settings, but after few simple tweaks with PBO2 i managed to lower CPU temps and got increased clock speeds. So far im really amazed by performance and temps.

System and tests:

MoBo: MSI mag b550 Tomahawk

RAM: 4x8GB 3200MHz CL16 - i know, i should have at least 3600 CL14, but those are from old system

GPU: RTX 2070

CPU cooler: Noctua nh-u12a

CPU fan speed smart curve to max 60% RPM (i like quiet system) and 60% vs 100% RPM made just 0.8-1.2C difference in stress tests.

prime95 26.6:

• blend test - 2 hours, 78.5C max temp, all cores boosts to 4.9GHz, all tests passed

AIDA64 Extreme:

• stress CPU, FPU, cache, memory - 2hours, 76.5C max temp, all cores boosts to 4.9GHz

Cinebench R20:

• MC - 79.8C max temp, all cores boosts to 4.9GHz, score 6162
  • SC - 55.3C max temp, preferred core boosts to 5GHz, score 640

Arma 3 yaab ultra - 3.8k view distance 1080p:

• old sys with 8700k - 68C max temp, average 44.8 FPS, all cores sync 5GHz (delid)
  • 5800x - 53.2C max temp, average 61.2 FPS, preferred core boosts to 5GHz
  • Like 2

@Chimere what Prime95 version?

So all cores were constantly @ 4.9 GHz in Prime95?

What was the voltage?

Which settings have you changed in the BIOS and to what/which values?

@Groove_C

Hello there,

prime95 ver.: 26.6 - i was using that version for 8700k tests, to be honest i didnt check which version i should use for ryzen 5xxx so i will probably do new tests if needed.

Anyway there are more and more posts on the internet and OC community that prime95 isnt good test reference anymore (unreal tests, etc), AIDA64 should be better reference.

Yes all cores constantly at 4.9GHz with some spikes upto 5GHz.

Voltage jumps between idle 0.9 - 1.35 stress

Bios settings:

• Overclocking -> Advanced CPU configuration
  • AMD Overclocking ->  Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) set to Advanced
  • PBO limits set to Disabled
  • Curve Optimizer -> set to All cores
  • All cores curve optimizer sign set to Negative
  • All cores curve optimizer magnitude set to max available - my MoBo can do 30 or set highest number what will be stable for you

@Chimere was 1.35 V the max voltage, the lowest or average/current voltage and which utility do you use to monitor the voltage?

I ask to try this exact Prime95 version:

ftp://ftp.mersenne.org/gimps/p95v298b6.win64.zip

Select "custom" instead of "blend".

Select "Run FFTs in-place" and unselect AVX2/FMA3 and AVX and let it run like 10 minutes and please report the frequency of all cores, max temp and voltage you observe, thx.

It will help me a lot with my decision what to buy.

@Groove_C

Hello there,

1.35V was max voltage after all stress tests what i have run that day. Im using hwinfo64 as hw monitor.

Prime95 2.98 b6 with your settings:

• temp max: 81.2C, average: 78.6C
  • voltage max: 1.337V, average: 1.276V
  • All cores boost stable 4850MHz
  • 30min test run, 0 errors, 0 warnings

@Chimere seems like I will buy a 5800X then, hoping it will be able to do -30 on all cores.

I have a Noctua NH-D15S that must be on par with your Noctua NH-U12A.

I have no problems to let it run @ 100% while stress testing. Runs @ 1000 rpm in Arma and on desktop.

I don't pay that much attention to the max voltage, since it's possible it will be like this just for few seconds or even less.

I take the average voltage as "real" voltage as it's the voltage at which the CPU will spend 99% of the time.

X570S motherboards will come soon.

Maybe we will see Ryzen 5000 XT CPUs as well.

I will wait for sure.

• Like 1

If there will be no XT refreshed CPU models, I still will be able to buy current 5800X for even less than now.

Hello all,

I would please you to tell me all available tweaks which would help me get stable 60 FPS with nice graphics.

My specs are :

Intel Celeron G1820 @2.70 GHz

AMD Radeon RX 550 2 GB GDDR5

8 GB DDR3 RAM

SSD

1280x1024 resolution

2 hours ago, orllak32 said:

Hello all,

I would please you to tell me all available tweaks which would help me get stable 60 FPS with nice graphics.

My specs are :

Intel Celeron G1820 @2.70 GHz

AMD Radeon RX 550 2 GB GDDR5

8 GB DDR3 RAM

SSD

1280x1024 resolution

Throw your system in the bin and with an empty credit card, spend lots on a new one. And then spend some more.

• Like 1

Hello, 

I would please someone with an AMD Radeon GPU,to tell me which are the optimal settings for ArmA 3 in the AMD Radeon Adrenalin software?

I need to pull the trigger on a new system as my old intel 6700k is on its way out. MB is starting to drop connections to ssd and hd's.

I am thinking of the 5800x over anything intel is offering right now.

Looking at pairing it with either the 

msi X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI

or

gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIF

The dilemma is, there is a package deal right now for the 5800x and the gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIF which will save me $70 over buying the msi board.

Do I splurge and get the msi over the gigabyte and save $70 (to put towards better ram) or go with the msi mb?

thanks