Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

15 minutes ago, Darudkadddd said:

Is there a way to increase it?

buy faster RAM and maybe faster CPU.

1 minute ago, Groove_C said:

buy faster RAM and maybe faster CPU.

oh, i forgot to mention, this result was on 2560x1080 resolution, and about upgrades: im going to upgrade to 5600/x, is it fine?

20 minutes ago, Darudkadddd said:

oh, i forgot to mention, this result was on 2560x1080 resolution, and about upgrades: im going to upgrade to 5600/x, is it fine?

yes. just that your RAM is really slow.

14 minutes ago, Darudkadddd said:

well, i have a pack of gray ones, that are 32gb with 3200mhz 16-18-18-36 xmp profile

3200 MHz is not optimal for Ryzen and CL16 for 3200 MHz is also less than optimal.

It's up to you.

3 minutes ago, Groove_C said:

3200 MHz is not optimal for Ryzen and CL16 for 3200 MHz is also less than optimal.

It's up to you.

so, if im going to overclock, what frequency and timings should i seek for? 

13 hours ago, Darudkadddd said:

so, if im going to overclock, what frequency and timings should i seek for? 

for this you would need to search on youtube or google.

@Darudkadddd Welcome in our Armaverse 😎

For the moment, the figures displayed for the tests with YAAB, are completely correct and allow to play without problem.

Arma3 is a tactical "slow" game, not a nervous and supercharged shooter, it is quite possible to play correctly beyond the 30 FPS line.

As an answer to your last questions, in my opinion, whatever your ability to overclock DDR4, it's unlikely that the gain will give you a significant performance boost with a Ryzen 5 3600.
You can of course consider overclocking the processor. With the required skills, it is possible to achieve with a suitable part the performance of a Ryzen 5 3600X.
In any case, only a better level platform will allow you to obtain better performances in game with Arma3. 
  • Like 1

Hmmm will my Intel 10th Generation with 64 GB memory and Sapphire Pulse RX 570 run Arma 3? :>)

I just completed this build today and I haven't played Arma 3 in a couple of years. Been seriously thinking of playing again...LOL

@whatsupdoc_1_27 yes, probably 😎

Performances will depend on the 10th generation Intel processor model,

An Intel i3-10300 allows you to play Arma3 at a correct level so ...

From my point of view, the RX 570,  should allow playing in Very High video quality.

Adjusting the quality to Ultra is possible, but the card then heats up a lot, way too much in my opinion.

I played Livonia in beta version with an R5 2600 / RX 570 combo.

It is possible to see on the dedicated Arma topic of "CanardPC" forums ... (magazine and site in French), some of my bench results.

Guys, I'm in the process of buying a new laptop for my son for gaming and schoolwork. We have a budget of around £1,000 which gets us a mid-range 15" gaming laptop.

I see that the Athlons rule the roost in CPU benchmarks at the moment. For example the Athlon 7 4800H massacres the similarly priced i5 10300H and equals the much more expensive i7-10875H on the CPU benchmark stakes. But if you look closely, the single thread performance of that i5 is pretty much the same as the 4600H. So which metric is more important for ArmA3?

These laptops often have the GTX 1660ti GPU in them. Youtube and reviews seem to suggest this is acceptable for A3 at 1080p. Sometimes, they have a GTX2060 or even a GTX2070. Given the nomenclature, you'd expect the 1660ti to be inferior, but it seems, again, according to reviews, to be not far behind. I do notice the 1650 variants are quite weak so I'm avoiding them.

@Tankbusterfor ARMA, it will nearly always be this:

2 cores or more

Highest IPC per core (currently it IS Ryzen, but Intel can level the playing field IF CPU clock speed OC'ed)

Highest possible boost or OC'ed clock speed

Lowest CORE TO CORE latency  (really significant on Intel 10x000 series and Ryzen 3's)

LOWEST RAM LATENCY possible +

a) HIGHEST RAM FREQUENCY 1:1 with infinity if Ryzen

b) HIGHEST RAM FREQUENCY on Intel CPU with lowest latency

SSD or RAM DRIVE

GPU should be 1060 6GB GTX performance if at 1080P Ultra resolution. You can go up to 1080 Ti or 2070 type GPU for 4K.

Any other game, you need to check GPU requirements.

I would never consider any of the onboard GPU to be good enough for Ultra, but possible medium settings depending on VRAM configuration as it uses onboard main memory.

The Ryzen APU 4x00 series are a total beast though. It really gets RAM up to 4800 1:1 Infinity clocked whereas the Ryzen 3 CPUS can barely get close to 4000 MHZ! It seems the sweet spot is ~ 3800 MHZ!

But I am not sure if the 6 cores Ryzen 3 APU are out yet. It only has 4 cores at the moment.

• Thanks 1

@Tankbuster As far as I know, there is no Athlon 7 4800H. Athlon brand continues to designate entry-level processors for AMD.

In this case I think you mean AMD Ryzen 7 4800H processor, it's a good CPU still based on Zen 2.

If in the areas of productivity tasks it is a step above the Intel Core i7-9750H for example, for gaming these processors are at the same level.

In my opinion, for Arma 3 gaming, it is better to go to the next level with a Ryzen 7 5800H which benefits from the progress of the Zen 3 architecture.

When it comes to the GPU, the GTX 1660ti is a good option for 1080p gaming.

I would add that there is no point in playing with Arma3 to have a more powerful GPU.

For memory, based on experience, my recommendation for the Ryzen in Zen 2 and Zen 3 remains DDR4 3600 CL 16.

There is no practical interest in upgrading to DDR4 3800.

The question does not arise with a laptop PC, the SO-DIMM DDR4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 3200 MHz CL16 will do.

• Like 1

Yes, thanks @oldbear, that makes sense. Talking of RAM, I also should mention that in the range of laptops I'm currently preferring, the Athlon powered machines typically have better memory than the Intel powered ones even though the Intel machines are more expensive.

I'm sorry to repeat, but laptops based on Athlon processors are entry-level PCs to be used exclusively for office automation or surfing the Internet.

This is the case for example with the HP 15.6 "HD Display Laptop Computer featuring an AMD Athlon Gold 3150U.

The Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming Laptop, 15.6 "FHD (1920x1080) IPS Screen, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA GTX 1660Ti, is an example of a laptop based on a Ryzen 7 4800H.

The performances are not of the same level.  😎

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oldbear said:

@Tankbuster As far as I know, there is no Athlon 7 4800H. Athlon brand continues to designate entry-level processors for AMD.

In this case I think you mean AMD Ryzen 7 4800H processor, it's a good CPU still based on Zen 2.

Yes,  my apolgies, I meant Ryzen, not Athlon.
As it happens, the Legion 5 machine you mention is exactly the one I'm considering, though it has a 1TB SSD. I can get a small discount from their student programme.

I made my researches and I think we should change the way we test with YAAB, because simply selecting Standard video settings preset is actually misleading as to what performance numbers we get testing this way, because the are 4 settings that are CPU dependent and lowering these settings makes a certain CPU look better than it actually is.

Most of players play online and play mostly PvP, like King of the Hill or official Warlords, where it's crucial to see as far as you can, to see the enemy jet/heli/armor as soon as possible or to see enemy infantry player by using thermal goggles/scope before they eventually destroy your armor with a Titan/Vorona or kill you on foot with a sniper rifle from 2 km and more.

People on KotH or Warlords set the view/objects distance to 3.5 km and 4 km respectively, since it's the max allowed in these missions in order no to be killed because of blindness due to too low terrain and objects view distance.

Also terrain quality and objects quality is entirely CPU dependent.

So my suggestion would be to continue using Standard video settings preset, but then change terrain and objects view distance to the numbers corresponding to Ultra video settings preset and also set to the max objects and terrain quality.

This way I think performance difference between newer and faster CPUs with much faster RAM would most certainly be greater vs. older CPUs and RAM that as for now still can somewhat hold-up only thanks to lower terrain and objects view distance and lower objects and terrain quality.

• Like 1

We've been turning down video settings to minimise GPU influence on the results, but since terrain and objects view distance and objects and terrain quality are pure CPU settings, lowering them, only makes the CPU life easier and doesn't paint the real situation.

Hi I was looking to see what type of performance would I get with a i5-10600k overclocked to 5ghz+ and paired with a rtx  3060 also overclocked. Running a 3200 kit. Game installed on a Samsung evo ssd

@dawayn2001   Welcome.

An OCed i5-10600K will probably allow you the 50/60 FPS range in Ultra settings.

It is necessary to remember that Arma3 remains a CPU dependent game.

The RTX 3060X should provide good CPU support and allow gaming without sacrificing video quality.

10 hours ago, dawayn2001 said:

Hi I was looking to see what type of performance would I get with a i5-10600k overclocked to 5ghz+ and paired with a rtx  3060 also overclocked. Running a 3200 kit. Game installed on a Samsung evo ssd

You should make sure your RAM's Cas Latency is as low as possible. 3200 is relatively slow. Intel can get the pure MHZ high or latency low like CL14 @ 3800 or even 4200 with CL 16/17.

Then your CPU side will be optimized.

Buy the fastest RAM you can afford to not leave performance on the table.

@dawayn2001   Could you tell us about the "3200 kit" you are running ?

If it's a G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL14-14-14-34  kit, it's quite right 😎