Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

If 11900K can do 5.2 GHz all cores and 4266-4400 MHz CL16 RAM then I will buy it instead of 4.6 GHz 3800 MHz RAM 5800X.

32 minutes ago, Groove_C said:

If 11900K can do 5.2 GHz all cores and 4266-4400 MHz CL16 RAM then I will buy it instead of 4.6 GHz 3800 MHz RAM 5800X.

Yes. this CPU might be worth considering since single core turbo is 5.3 GHZ at stock settings.

Let us see how fast we can push the RAM with all core turbo then decide!

But by the time 11900K is available, 5800X should be of slightly better quality (voltage needed for desired frequency) than 5800X from 5 months ago.

Or maybe there will be the XT version of 5800X...

Or 11900KS )

Must admit the time is coming soon for another upgrade, not sure what yet, but its interesting reading the pc talk here.

For now, what I see every day is that it is now possible to play Arma3 with a very satisfactory level of performance with a relatively accessible processor like the Ryzen 5 5600X.

FxHq7Ial.jpg

I must add that I use a Noctua NH-C14S as a replacement for the basic cooler supplied.

• Like 3

@oldbear what are the timings for 3800 MHz RAM and was it with CMA AVX2 malloc or not?

Because it makes a big difference and should be mentioned.

Also a small advise.

If you want to indicate the CPU, GPU, RAM and quality preset used, you can write it in the comment line, like you always do, but without clicking "save" and only after you have saved min., avg. and max. FPS for each run.

This way one can see CPU, GPU, RAM and quality preset in the upper comment line AND also min., avg. and max. FPS for each run, which is not less important.

@Groove_C  of course, I can specify that the DDR4 kits used are ...

- G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-16GTZNC 16GB (8GB x2), 3600 MHz CL16 (16-19-19-39)

- G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3800C16D-16GTZN 16 GB (8 GB x2) 3800 MHz CL16 (16-19-19-39)

All the tests are carried out with Arma3 vanilla using strictly the same settings of the game's "Standard" preset and the Standard option of YAAB.

For all testing I used the Ryzen 5 5600X straight out of the box.

The only setting in the BIOS of the Asus TUF B550M Plus motherboard, is the application of the DDR4 XMP profile.

@oldbearit's exactly the same performance as my to the maximum OC'ed 4.4/3.8/2.2 GHz core/cache/eDRAM i7-5775C (from 2015) with 2400 MHz DDR3 10-11-12-18 and it's not even overclocked!

Finally one can simply buy hardware (R5 5600X) for acceptable price, install it all and enjoy Arma at comfortable FPS.

+ possibility to OC/optimize at any time later, as long as RAM and cooler are good.

For now it doesn't look very good for Rocket Lake, since for the moment the max RAM frequency in 1:1 mode I could see was only 3733 MHz and not 3800 or 4000 MHZ. But it was on a Z490 and not Z590 board and with unfinished BIOS.

2-jpg.600455

Even Aida64 reads it as 7467 MHz instead of 3733 MHz.

Maybe after 30 March, with newer BIOS/microcodes it will be possible to do 3800-4000 MHz RAM in 1:1 mode.

15 hours ago, Groove_C said:

Very very interesting!

Now I want to see at least 5600X with the same GPU over ARMA 3. 

The review says 5600X + 6900XT is FASTER than with 3090 for CPU limited games!!! 

It is too bad AMD 6x00XT series has worst RT otherwise I would all over it for future proofing!

I wonder if the best buy would actually be an AMD 5x00 series with 4 cores and the money into an AMD 6900XT?!

Hello there!

So I was reading this thread and it seems that you guys know what you are talking about when it comes to PC performance regarding Arma 3. Maybe you can help me?

My PC specs are:

CPU: AMD Ryzen  3600

GPU: RTX 2060

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 3200 mhz CAS 14

I downloaded YAAB test scenario and got 46.6 fps on standard settings (pressed "S"). Do you think that's normal performance for PC with these specs? Should I be getting more? Maybe my CPU is going bad or something? 

Thanks

@VComrade Welcome !

Your rig seems OK, but could you tell us something about your CPU cooling solution ?

Could you tell us about your mother board.

In my own test with the R5 3600/GTX 1650/Corsair 16 GB 3200MHz C16 rig I had built for one of my grandsons, using Standard Arma3 Presets and "Standard"  YAAB settings, I got 53 FPS on average.

I was using an efficient Noctua cooler in an over ventilated case and Temp was constantly below 50°C.

The XMP profile as well as the PBO were activated in the BIOS.

I considered these results to be good, consistent with what I could expect from this CPU in Arma3

So to give us a basis for comparison, I suggest you create a test profile in Arma3, use the Standard presets then do ten runs after pressing the "S" key and tell us the average ( select all the results, YAAB calculates the average score)

At the same time, use HWiNFO to monitor CPU and MoBo temperatures.

Thank you for such a quick response!

My motherboard is MSI Tomahawk Max B450. I have XMP profile enabled and also OC'ed my RAM. Also my CPU is OC'ed to 4.3 Ghz.

I did 6 tests but nothing appears to change much. Avarage is 43.4 FPS. Only once did FPS was 48.9 (I don't know why).

My CPU temp did not go beyond 45 C.

And I do not know what is PBO. 

EDIT: So I tried enabling PBO but my CPU temperatures started to go all around the place jumping up and down 20 degrees in a second.

OK.

In fact, you must make a choice between using the built-in PBO AMD feature and an overclock.

By itself, the PBO is a form of overclock, that frees up the capacity of the processor to increase in frequency according to the algorithms set up by AMD to regulate and protect the CPU.

Using the PBO, during my own tests R5 3600 was running @ 4,2 GHz on all cores in game.

So I can run PBO but I have to set voltage offset in bios to -0.0150 so the temperatures would not fluctuate so wildly.

Tried a YAAB test with PBO enabled and got 46 FPS. I had to go to work so I couldn't do more tests until the evening.

Can you recommend anything else that might help to increase performance? Or I'm stuck here?

Thanks again!

EDIT: So it appears that when pressing "S" before benchmark it does not reset anti-aliasing and post-processing settings so I was running with all these settings at max. I have now set overall quality on "standard" and AA & PP settings have been turned off. Now I am getting 53 fps in benchmark. So did I need to turn these settings off for a proper benchmark?

Well ...

1° You should not transpose what you may have learned about overclocking with an Intel CPU, to try to get the most out of these Ryzen processors.

In my opinion, for the Ryzen, there are actually 2 solutions, either strictly use AMD devices, or use a somewhat sophisticated tool like CTR to tune the processor as well as possible.

The fact that there are constant variations in the temperature of the processor reflects normal and standard operation which leads to constant variations in frequencies and therefore in the power brought into play, especially visible when the PBO is activated.

2° Yes, for comparison purposes in YAAB, it is better to use the overall "Standard" preset of the game then activate the "standard" settings of this test mission by pressing the "S" key.

That's why I had suggested creating a special purpose test profile different from the usual profile to be used in game.

I actually never overclocked any processor before this one. So I did not really learn much about overclocking intel 😄

I got the worst performance on YAAB with PBO enabled without decreasing voltage and no OC, because temperature would go above 60 degrees. When I added - 0.0125 voltage offset temperatures would stabilize and never go beyond 45 degrees in benchmark, even with 4.3 ghz OC.

I will try this CTR that you mentioned. Also what do you mean by "strictly use AMD devices"? 

What I wanted to say about overclocking is that there are plenty of articles and videos out there based on overclocking Intel and AMD CPUs before Ryzen.

The operation of the Ryzen CPUs is different and a possible overclock must be adapted to the specificities of the processor.

My own conviction is that you have to choose between settings that strictly follow the manufacturer's recommendations using the processor as it is out of the box and a search for performance or efficiency with external tools.

In this case, still from my point of view, if the temperature exceeds 60 °, it means that you should not activate the PBO and not touch the voltage.

On the other hand, it is probably necessary to question the cooling of the CPU and the ventilation of the case.

Well my CPU is kind of acting weird. If go on default mode (no changes to voltage or clock speeds, no PBO) it gets to a very high temps >70 C, but if I set the minimum voltage offset of a - 0.0125 my temperatures drop to a  <50 C. Also performance increases as well. So why should I not set voltage offset to a -0.0125? 

EDIT: it appears that I don't even have to set the specific number for the voltage offset, just setting voltage offset to "-" instead of "auto" fixes the temperature.

• Like 1

What to say?

It's strange, if it works, that's the main thing!

It would be better to understand what is happening backstage between the motherboard, the chipset driver and the BIOS, but do not touch anything 👻

Well anyways, thanks for your consultation, really appreciate your fast response 😄

Hello, guys!

I just wanted to ask if these results are fine: 42 fps on YAAB standard settings

MB: b450 tomahawk max

RAM: 32gb 3200 cl16 (xmp)

GPU: asus rx 5700xt rog strix

cpu: r5 3600