Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

So YAAB is still a good indicator of your hardware performance, but you just need to concider that in MP, past a certain level of hardware performance, thanks to Arma's netcode, there will be no further benefits.

Sorry for going OT, but it is related to this thread:

AMD Ryzen 5000 series is out and it is a beast in terms of IPC! 

Anybody find any reviews for it with ARMA 3 or DayZ engine so we can have an idea? I have a few friends trying to purchase the 5950X but they do not play ARMA so I won't know how it does in our game?

Yes! Looking for any ARMA 3 gamers to confirm their performance with the new 5000 ryzens, or any reviews that showcase this.

7 hours ago, pavdog said:

Yes! Looking for any ARMA 3 gamers to confirm their performance with the new 5000 ryzens, or any reviews that showcase this.

Keep looking. The CPU is out of stock everywhere.

1 hour ago, Tankbuster said:

Keep looking. The CPU is out of stock everywhere.

We have the 5800X in stock, but at 20 USD over RRP. No GST or TAX so that is a good thing I guess!

Problem is there are zero RAM kits above DDR4-3600! I was looking at the  5600X + DDR-4000CL16 on a B550 MB. The get an AMD GPU when it gets released.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Valken said:

Problem is there are zero RAM kits above DDR4-3600! I was looking at the  5600X + DDR-4000CL16 on a B550 MB. The get an AMD GPU when it gets released.

This is a long standing problem. Last year, I had to pay over the odds to get fast RAM with low latency to go with my 9900K. And my CPU is less finicky about the RAM you use with it, unlike these nice new AMD parts.

3 hours ago, ajdrigs said:

Hi, I'm curious about what frames I might get on Arma 3 with the build I'm saving up for, I mainly play KOTH, Exile, And Liberation. This is the build https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ajdrigs/saved/HbMLJx

I looked at your specs. Very Top Shelf but you might want to wait for someone to review ARMA on the new Ryzen 12 or 16 core CPUs.

You don't need that many cores for ARMA. Even a 4-core high clocks CPU would do.

I believe you will OC your CPU to 5GHZ or faster with your watercooler.

I recommend you get faster RAM though. At least DDR4-3600 @ CL14 or up to DDR4-4000  @ CL18 or faster. Because it matters to ARMA and other CPU intensive games.

Scroll back a few pages to see what we have been talking about. It matters for ARMA. 

Everything else is more than good enough. 

Look at this ARMAholics from Haswell 4670K to Ryzen 5900X with old GPU:

Link here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/107410/discussions/0/2995417914186952051/

"Can you return your cpu/motherboard? If you have the funds it might be worth looking into going to AMD for the 5600x or 5900x if you can afford it. I dont play KOTH but I did some testing today in the trailer park wasteland server (the one ive always played on) and I was hitting a minimum of 80fps 5 minutes before restart. Earlier when I loaded it up about a half hour after a restart I was in the 100-110 range pretty often in that server. If you have a specific KOTH server youd want me to try feel free to say and I'll join it to give you a rough idea of fps so you can see if its worth it to you. Coming from a 4670k which was giving me 30-50(50 right after a server restart) on the same server it was well worth it for me and that was with my settings on a mixture of medium and high (did alot of tinkering to find the best results with the old cpu) and now im on the ultra preset with blur turned off, sharpening filter at 100, overall distance at 3800, object distance at 2000, and shadows at 200.

specs that contribute to arma
1920x1080
CPU: ryzen 5900x STOCK
GPU: GTX 970 (soon little one) STOCK
RAM: 32gb 3600mhz CL16 XMP enabled (duh to actually hit 3600mhz)
Storage: 2tb NVME TLC (what arma is on also boot drive)
"

Look at that ONE thread at 89% CPU ultilization but with over 100 FPS! See more details in the thread above!

EBABEE31816D2E4D04EE97028D2A14707C4AF75C

I found a 5800X! Now to find the RAM and MB and pull all my old parts over!

@Valken have asked this guy (WITH R9 5900X) to run YAAB properly and at proper settings and at least 5 times, but preferably 10 times and write down in YAAB comment line for each run min, avg and max FPS.
The results he has shared until now are purely useless.
CPU frequency is unknown, Infinity Fabric frequency is unknown, enabled in BIOS RAM XMP rofile or not, only 1 run of YAAB, only avg FPS, not known if he has changed anything else in video settings, if any other programs were running, if windowed or full screen etc.

also GTX 970 should be run in YAAB at not higher than 1080p standrad settings, to see what the CPU can, and not in high, very high or ultra settings. Otherwise we won't be able to see what the CPU is cpable of and nobody cares what 2015 3.5 GB GTX 970 is capable of.

I asked a friend that has an i7-9700K 5.1/4.8 GHz core/cache and 32 GB RAM 4000 15-15-15-28 and CMA AVX2 malloc to run YAAB 1080p standard also at 3600 MHz 16-19-19-39 and default (Intel) malloc, so we can compare against R9 5900X.

Hope that this guy will do it all correctly, like I explained it to him.

YAAB 1.00 | Arma 2.00
1080p standard (CMA AVX2 malloc)

R9 5900X @stock | 2x16 GB 3600 MHz 16-19-19-39 | GTX 970 (3.5 GB) | SSD
FPS: 55 min | 82 avg

R9 5900X 4.6/1.8 GHz core/Infinity | 2x16 GB 3600 MHz 16-19-19-39 | GTX 970 (3.5 GB) | SSD
FPS: 58 min | 88 avg
i7-9700K 5.1/4.8 GHz core/cache | 4x8 GB 3600 MHz 16-19-19-39 | RX 470 (4 GB) | SSD
FPS: 48 min | 74 avg

i7-9700K 5.1/4.8 GHz core/cache | 4x8 GB 4000 MHz 15-15-15-28 | RX 470 (4 GB) | SSD
FPS: 57 min | 83 avg

R5 5600X, R7 5800X or R9 5900X @ 4.6 GHz with good 3800MHz CL14/15 or with a bit of luck 4000 MHz CL15/16 could deliver 10 min and avg FPS more, judging by Intel with 4000 MHz 15-15-15-28 RAM

1yZLjiu.png

mPiATWM.png
wPwfgMO.png

iyu6rau.png

R7 5800X is the best of all new Ryzens (for gaming).
It has "only" 16 threads, and not 24 threads like R9 5900X, which is much easier to cool.
+ it has more better quality cores than R9 5900X + cheaper.

R5 5600X (12 threads) is even easier to cool and even cheaper, BUT!
It has the least high-quality cores (what couldn't become 5950X/5800X/5900X).
+ powerful GPUs will already be limited by it.

• Like 1

I watched this video and they are saying 5600X is a better purchase due to price, but it also shows 8 cores is future for gaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7ukz8WUdW4

It is only too bad the price difference today between the 5600X and 5800X can include the MB or RAM already for a few FPS more.

Let see if the 5800X goes down in price later to become a better value.

Let's wait for some self made bechmarks on a 5600x/5800x from one of us. I think those ones will be the ideal for most. The 5900x is great but for pure gaming somewhat oversized.

By the way, my 3300x @stock +3800MHz CL15 and default malloc gives ~65 FPS average (min=39; max=109) in yaab @1080p (GFX=RX470 with 4gb RAM)

I still couldn't figure out how to get the CMA AVX2 malloc to work. Looks like I am to stupid to do that. If someone has an idiot proof 'how to' at hands (or can make one), I will try again and report.

Best, Mahatma

@ Mahatma You can set the CMA AVX2 malloc using the ARMA 3 Launcher.

Click on PARAMETERS, ALL PARAMETERS TAB, the goto the Memory Allocator and select cma_x64, after you had installed it into the dlls folder within ARMA.

The 3300x is a really good CPU. If you have 4 banks of the same RAM, it can perform better according to other Ryzen users as it enables DUAL RANK access to memory.

Only uninformed people will continue to buy Intel (currently), even at lower cost (CPU only), since at stock they are now significantly behind the new Ryzen (also at stock), in Arma inclusively.
+ they heat up noticeably more, consume significantly more and require more expensive motherboard and cooling to squeeze out the last bits of performance and still not reach AMD (at stock), which haven't even been OC'ed, which makes an Intel build as whole, still not cheaper, if not more expensive than now much more performant and cooler/efficient Ryzen 5000.

• Like 1

Thanks @Valken and thanks @Groove_C for detailing the malloc installation.

I got it working!

So here is the 3300x @stock + 2x8gb SR 3800MHz CL15 (IF1900) + Radeon RX470 4gb @stock 1080p standard settings + S Key; cma_x64 enabled

1591308140810cukpa.png

Min frame rate was: worst run 40 best run 42

• Like 1

Hello,

Ryzen 7 5800x - a quick test with 1080p standard setting (CMA AVX2 malloc):

20201109-215012mijxf.png

Edited by Hoschi_1975
  • Like 1

Hello Hoschi, what is your CPU cooling to get hit 4.9Ghz and can you show the minimum FPS as well?

5900XT + 3800 CL14 RAM is really good!

@oldbear @Mahatma Gandhi @Hoschi_1975 @Valken

Check this video, where a russian guy is testing R9 3950X, R5 3600X and his bad quality R7 3700X, using Ryzen Clock Tuner.

It's in russian, but you don't have to understand anything and can simply turn off the sound.

Simply observe FPS, which despite frequency difference remains same, temperature and power draw of the CPUs.

СТОК in russian means stock, referring to the CPU state.
He's testing stock vs. PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) vs. CTR (Clock Tuner Ryzen) vs. manual OC with fixed frequency all cores and fixed voltage.
He also bumps up CPU voltage to 1.35 V in Ryzen Clock Tuner to see if there are any performance gains to be had - none.

In the video you can see Shadows of the Tomb Raider, Far Cry New Down and Troy a Total War Saga.

- Far Cry New Dawn doesn't use cores much, one of the cores is >90% and thus requires as high as possible single core performance, like Arma 3
- Troy A Total War Saga uses like 80% of 32 threads of R9 3950X with extreme number of soldiers groups and extreme grass setting

Conclusion:
- manual OC with as high as possible fixed frequency all cores and fixed + higher CPU voltage don't increase FPS at all, but significantly increase power draw and temperature
- enabling PBO (Precision Boost overdrive) slightly increases the frequency, but FPS remains same and same as for CTR - increased power draw and temperature
- stock/auto has lower or same frequency (all cores) vs. using CTR (Clock Tuner Ryzen), but with higher voltage than really required to do so, resulting in higher power draw and temperature than it could have been

- CTR (Clock Tuner Ryzen) manages to select much lower voltage for same or higher frequency all cores or can even increase frequency for cores that are of better quality, while keeping same low/lower voltage
So the overall performance is increased, voltage reduced and thus power draw and temperature as well
And this is despite slightly lower single core scores in Cinebench and CPU-Z, while all cores scores are higher

• Like 1

@Groove_C Thank you for sharing the video. It was interesting to see that all OC for Total War had better FPS, even by 2. This is current ARMA situation. MAX Load on all core OC would show real results, not peak boost as you have said.

+`nA