Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

YAAB standard 1080p.

R7 3700X 4.2 GHz | 16 GB 3600 MHz 14-15-15-35 1.35 V | GTX 1080 | SATA SSD

min. 42.5 avg. 64.2

i9-9900K 5.0 GHz | 32 GB 3600 MHz 15-15-15-35 1.4 V | GTX 1080 | SATA SSD
min. 42 avg. 64.2

One should ideally compare 2 systems with as less differences as possible (if possible).

It's ok to have different CPUs, both OC'ed to max. But provided one has same RAM sticks (your case), they should at least run at same frequency and at +- same (primary) timings on both systems (secondary+tertiary @ auto), so you only have CPUs being the only difference.

Otherwise it's like comparing 2 systems @ ultra, where 1 system is running with a GTX 1050 Ti and the other with a GTX 1070 Ti.

It's completely normal for 9700K to have lower min. FPS, since 3200 MHz CL14 RAM is not same as 3733 MHz CL14 RAM.

So yes, your results might be true, but they aren't comparable, since RAM settings difference.

Looks like instead of going Intel i could Ryzen and get better memory. 

I mean, wow, same result as the 9900k? That's kinda mind blowing. I knew fast memory was important for Ryzen but i had no idea just how much it mattered. 

@opus132 yes.

Only increasing the frequency doesn't help much when the architecture is pretty old (2015).

Even Comet Lake CPUs that will be presented in June, will still be based on same 2015 architechture with all the security flaws + even higher heat and consumption, because of further increased frequency, because that's all Intel can do right now.

If the architecture is efficient, it doesn't need to run at super mega ultra high frequency to achieve same or better results.

And don't forget that when you buy an Intel CPU, you not only pay more for the CPU than when buying AMD, but you also need to buy a more expensive motherboard (provided you want to OC the CPU), so it can deliver the power the CPU requires to achieve target frequency and doesn't overheat by doing so, which would result in CPU frequency throttling even if CPU's temp is just fine.

+ you also need much more expensive cooler for Intel CPUs, whereas Ryzens can achieve their max frequency at acceptable temp with stock cooler that comes with the CPU.

+ CPU cooler that comes with Ryzen has copper coldplate, 4 copper heatpipes and is bigger than Intel, which is tiny, has no copper and no heatpipes.

+ for Ryzen you can buy a <200€ mainboard that will be more than enough to drive a 32 threads Ryzen no problem.

So what would be the best memory to get? 

I'm looking at 3600 CL15 and this seems to be the typical price they go for in my country: 

https://www.amazon.it/gskill-3600-C15d-16gtz-memoria-ram-16-GB/dp/B01EI5YROC/?tag=hwreload-21

They are samsung b-die. I heard there's diminishing returns past 3600 or 3733 so timings are more important past that level, but i have no idea how much they can be pushed. This is what i have right now: 

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07TB3R9JB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1

Even if i sell it at the same price we are still talking about twice the cost. Yet, i could compensate by getting a 3600x instead of a 3700x. 

OR i could wait for Ryzen 4000 since 42 FPS min. is still kinda low but i wanted to play the game now. I mean i just bought it, heh. 

3600 CL15 is much better than 3600 CL18 you have.

I would wait until Ryzen 4xxx is released.

It will outperform Intel 5.2 GHz right out of the box, without OC and using mid range motherboard and stock air cooler.

• Confused 1

I'm looking at this list and there's seems to be quite a few new picks for Samsung B-die: 

https://forum.hwreload.it/threads/consigli-per-lacquisto-di-ram-per-ryzen-gen-1-2-e-3-update-2019.149/#

It's in Italian but you can look at the specs, and serial numbers. Some of them seem too good to be true: 

https://www.amazon.it/Patriot-Memory-Viper-4400MHz-Performance/dp/B07KXLFDL6/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_it_IT=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&amp;crid=1MBO0FFZ711F8&amp;keywords=pvs416g440c9k&amp;qid=1563269892&amp;s=gateway&amp;sprefix=pvs416g440c%2Caps%2C189&amp;sr=8-2&amp;tag=hwreload-21

Wonder if they'll even run on my motherboard (i'm assuming not). 

If high frequency yields diminishing returns, would it be better to get something like the aforementioned 3600 CL15 over something like the above?  

3600 CL15 is best performance out of the box and is very very capable for further OC.

There are also better priced options with B-Die, provided you really know how to OC RAM. Otherwise best would be for you to simply buy 3600 CL15 and enjoy.

3600 CL15 can obviously also be OC'ed.

3600 CL15 too expensive for you?

Otherwise 3200 14-14-14-34 and a little worse than this is 3600 16-16-16-36.

1 minute ago, Groove_C said:

3600 CL15 too expensive for you?

Well, just looking at my options. So far that's the ONLY memory i found with those characteristics, so i was just wondering. I'll pay if i must, but i need to be sure i looked at all the alternatives. For instance, if there was something like Samsung B-die 3600 CL16 at 100 euros, than i certainly don't think 200 euros for the one i linked to would be worth it, but if there's nothing else, so be it. 

The thing is if you buy cheaper B-Die, they can be as capable as more expensive ones. But you will need a lot of time, patience and knowledge to bring them to the level you can get out of the box + guaranteed by manufacturer from 3600 CL15.

In this specific case you'll be paying more for performance. It's not like when paying more just because of color or RGB bling bling.

Up to 5 min FPS and more if talking about avg and/or max FPS, depending on graphic settings.

Well, it's same, just different color and no RGB.

Ok, that's not bad at all. I'll go with the 3600 CL15 and be done with it. 

What's the CPU you have now and it's frequency all cores?

The higher the graphic settings and monitor resolution, the less FPS difference, because you will be more limited by the GPU.

I ran the game on ultra and at some point in the tutorial the FPS dropped to 25 but the GPU usage was at 17%, so the video card is literally playing with its figurative thumbs most of the time. I have a Ryzen 2600 btw. I pushed it to 4.1GHz all cores on 1.38v. It wasn't stable under stress tests but i did ran the YAAB map fine but gains were minimal, about 2-3 FPS on the average at the end of the benchmark. 

It's immaterial because eventually i'll get the Ryzen 4000. For now i'm looking at the memory first. 

What is the motherboard you have?
No guarantee that your R5 2600 memory controller will digest 3600 CL15. But this is what I would have bought anyways.

I know people with R5 2600(X) and they use it with 3600 MHz CL14/15 no problems.

MSI B450 Gaming Carbon Pro. Bios updated this month. 

Like i said, i'll also get a new CPU eventually so as long as it boots the computer, for now it's fine. 

Well, your board itself supports max 3433 MHz.

So if it won't accept 3600 MHz 15-15-15-35 profil in the BIOS, then you can select the 3600 MHz 15-15-15-35 profil in the BIOS and manually lower the frequency to 3433 MHz and timings to 14-14-14-34 @ 1.35 V.

With Ryzen 4xxx you then will be able to use it at 3600 MHz 15-15-15-35 profil and even OC it to something like 3800 MHz 15-15-15-35.

Actually 3433 MHz 14-14-14-34 is slightly better than 3600 MHz 15-15-15-35.

What is your GPU and monitor resolution?

Right. I hope MSI will be gracious enough to make the motherboard compatible with Ryzen 4000. 

I just finished some hours of testing (and lots of recovering BIOS for wrong values) and I can confirm that RAM overclocking did help on Intel as well:

On my i7 rig I was able to boot my 3200 CL14 2x8GB sticks to 4000 15-15-15-36

Anyway, the average improvement is +6% average fps on five tests I performed, for LOW settings. At ULTRA settings the benefit reaches +5%.

The important value to consider is, however, the "lowest FPS" which got an average of +7% higher than before.

Anyway, all good finds! 100.3fps in YAAB @ LOW was fun to watch, even if useless 🙂

hjlKgNK.png

• Like 2