Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

Many thanks for that link. I have it bookmarked and it will be where I will spend most of time before New Year's Eve.

Here is some pics of this evening... a big thanks to my wife who helped me with cable management and by getting everything right (by pure chance.. or actual modding knowledge? Suspence..) on the first answer, when I kept saying "no, no it's gotta be.." and she was (as usual) "I am telling you this goes there." It did go there. Women.

... still missing the new cpu and RAM but here goes!

https://imgur.com/a/fPmPltE

@Reezo positioning the GPU vertically is so wrong. It barely can breath, because it's too close to glass side pannel.

It will have negative effect on its temp and temp affects directly GPU frequency.

One mounts a GPU vertically, only if it's water-cooled.

About the vertical GPU, I used it as a show off but I am aware of that @Groove_C but I found the riser in the case and I was like OMG this is a first one for me. I promise I will start the campaign streaming on Twitch with my GPU horizontal, scout promise? 🙂

Thanks for the link on the RAM page, I'll spend New Year's eve running tests and reading the 890 pages, all in German. It might or not be the end of my mental sanity.

PS: Darn it looks cool, vertical, tho.. ok ok ok I'll put it back..

3 hours ago, Tankbuster said:

How close is it to the side panel?

Hard to say by memory, it looks like around 5cm? 3cm? I've mounted GPUs horizontally on small cases where the card was almost looking at the floor, but it's also true there were ventilation holes on the bottom (in this case it's closed glass). There are however 3x 120mm fans blowing air in that direction (notice me trying to justify the cool looks by providing vague info ;)) although I know it won't mean much if the glass covers the air intake.. 

Bottom line I know thermals will be better when horizontal, there's little chance they are going to be worse than vertical. I could actually benchmark this! Look at me, next up: long hair, beard, nitrogen and a YouTube channel!

13 hours ago, Reezo said:

Many thanks for that link. I have it bookmarked and it will be where I will spend most of time before New Year's Eve.

Here is some pics of this evening... a big thanks to my wife who helped me with cable management and by getting everything right (by pure chance.. or actual modding knowledge? Suspence..) on the first answer, when I kept saying "no, no it's gotta be.." and she was (as usual) "I am telling you this goes there." It did go there. Women.

... still missing the new cpu and RAM but here goes!

https://imgur.com/a/fPmPltE

I like the 'cat', doesn't look like he/she has been overclocked.. ;)

5 hours ago, Reezo said:

Hard to say by memory, it looks like around 5cm? 3cm? I've mounted GPUs horizontally on small cases where the card was almost looking at the floor, but it's also true there were ventilation holes on the bottom (in this case it's closed glass). There are however 3x 120mm fans blowing air in that direction (notice me trying to justify the cool looks by providing vague info ;)) although I know it won't mean much if the glass covers the air intake.. 

Bottom line I know thermals will be better when horizontal, there's little chance they are going to be worse than vertical. I could actually benchmark this! Look at me, next up: long hair, beard, nitrogen and a YouTube channel!

5 CM is plenty if that's a blower card. At that distance, the restrictions in airflow are negligable.

12 hours ago, chrisb said:

I like the 'cat', doesn't look like he/she has been overclocked.. 😉

Thanks! She is 14 and a bit of a chonker, so in that sense she's been a bit over the clock.. glad you liked the cat 🙂

9 hours ago, Tankbuster said:

5 CM is plenty if that's a blower card. At that distance, the restrictions in airflow are negligible.

I might have written 5 cm but it could be less, I'll double-check. Anyway I should really benchmark this.

UPDATE:

I just did a quick RealBench OpenCL test and the GPU was running from 27C idle to 51C, while sitting in a vertical position.

uOQvaKE.png

I know, nothing too scientific or long but at least that was quick 🙂 More soon..

So far, it looks good even if the distance between the card and the glass panel is less than 5 cm and closer to 3 cm.

From my point of view, positioning the graphics card vertically has several advantages, on the one hand it will prevent the graphics card from sagging, on the other hand, it will move it away as a heat source from the rest of the configuration. What is important is that the entire case is well ventilated the 3x 120mm fans are going to help.

• Like 2

I just did some measurements and it looks more like.. shy of 3cm from the glass. I still think it's not that big of a deal considering there is 3x 120mm taking air in and 3x 120mm taking it out (two of which blowing vertically up through the radiator). These are just honest guesses of mine, no expert here.

Two more things:

1) Memory is here:

https://imgur.com/a/gtQ2M44

Looking good so far but I had some post problems when running the XMP profile, however it's nothing to be scared of - as of yet, basically the timings are not what they will run at, and 3600MHz is not what I'll have for sure (but lower instead). The whole board is running on "Auto" at the moment so no big deal.

2) I wrote Deepcool about the AIO Pump behavior:

Currently, I have the radiator fans connected to CPU_FAN on my motherboard (Asus Rog Strix x470-Gaming) and the pump connected to CPU_OPT.

1) Would it be better if I connect the pump to the AIO_PUMP connector on the motherboard?
2) Is the water pump better used if REGULATED or if kept at 100% all the time? In PWM or DC?

And they replied:

1) No matter you connect the pump to the AIO_PUMP connector or CPU_OPT connector, It is doable.
2) The pump should keep running 100% all the time in PWM

.. I thought AIO_PUMP at 100% would wear the pump down in the long run? I had it set to something like:

• 20C = 20%
  • 50C = 75%
  • 60C = 100%

I am sure you guys in here can elaborate on that, thanks!

All right, here's the reports for RAM, including Taiphoon Burner reports and DRAM Calculator suggestions (I did put several configurations, you'll see..)

https://imgur.com/a/IQ8QLIw

One of the 4 sticks does not want to work with any other stick. If I use it, the system stays pitch black. I am thinking it's a defective stick. If you have any idea, feel free to chime in.

With 4 sticks, should I go as low as 2800 MHz and still keep the DRAM and SOC Voltages up? I read that dual channel won't go further than 2800 on a Ryzen + for now..

The fact is that the Ryzen platform is hyper sensitive to memory specifications. I myself have done a lot of experiments with barrettes that did not want to work at all or were limited otherwise to their native frequency. It really looked like a lottery.
With the latest version of the BIOS, and the latest AGESA the number of usable DDR4 modules has considerably increased, but there is always the risk that the modules will not function in a nominal way, especially when 4 slots are populated.

You must have a look at the QVL list on G.Skill site, it seems that this series [F4-3600C17D-16GVK as read on the pic you posted] is specifically intended for cards with an Intel chipset ... too bad!

@oldbearI understand.. it seems kinda sensitive, yes. I can obviously return them, the alternative would be to go pick these up, tomorrow:

https://www.gskill.com/product/165/326/1562838559/F4-3200C14Q-32GTZNTrident-Z-NeoDDR4-3200MHz-CL14-14-14-34-1.35V32GB-(4x8GB)

More expensive, but with RGB :).. but I wonder if they will be better or not.

These I have seem to be in the ones that can be used with AMD:

https://community.amd.com/thread/217871

Even if that's "just" a list.

I found out that one of the sticks is defective: I swapped it everywhere and it does not work at all, completely sends the system to pitch black.

With 2 sticks things seem to work, I was using them at 3600 and I read that the Ryzen + is still being pulled by the neck when working at 3600, so it could easily not be the RAM's fault. I'll try and see with 3200 and some good DRAM Calculator settings if things are stable enough.

I definitely don't want ArmA 3 to crash mid-streaming!

PS: Getting excited to be this close to start the season! I am planning day 1 and hope to see you people in the stream as I will explicitly be thanking you for the great help! yay.

In fact with the different twists and turns of this story I have a little trouble knowing what the current build is made of.

Would it be possible to summarize the components?

The G.Skill TridentZ NEO serie has been released with a "built for Ryzen 3000" tag, it must works on an AMD build !

I am currently using G.Skill TridentZ NEO 16 GB (2x8GB) 3600 C16 [16-19-19-39] on my Arma3 R5 3600X/ASUS TUF B450M-Pro Gaming test platform, it works!

It seems that the Trident Z Neo 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 kit 3200MHz CL14-14-14-34 1.35V [F4-3200C14Q-32GTZN] , even if it is not referenced on the QVL list for the Asus ROG STRIX X470-F MoBo, is indeed present in the G.Skill QVL list, here : https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/326/1562838559/F4-3200C14Q-32GTZN-Qvl

Good to know, thanks for the good find!

I tried to fit a third stick and now I am in Windows, all good, at 2800 MHz, same XMP (DOCP) timing as the 3600.

CPU-Z says I am in Dual Channel memory mode, I suppose that means my DIMM_A1 DIMM A_2 are still in dual channel and the third stick in DIMM_B1 is doing fine on its own..

I might run DRAM Calculator and see what kind of timings I could get with 4x8 instead of 2x8, I still believe these sticks are going to work and deliver good performance, maybe it was just me pretending I could run 4x8 at 3600 out of the box in a Ryzen +.. - heck even 2x8 at 3600 needs tuning on this 2700x to be stable, no wonder 4x3600 was a no-go.

Just found this test by SK's Hardware Review and it includes ArmA 3:

gMCNbvl.png

6ecs3aa.png

Seems like ArmA 3 loves RAM speed..

I don't believe that the sticks must be "AMD specific", which is non-sense, since exactly same Samsung chips are used in both cases. May be some sub-timings can affect this. But if you don't apply XMP and enter manually the timings you need, it shouldn't matter.

It can be that your particular CPU can't handle 3600 MHz and 4 sticks.

Have you checked each RAM module separately in each slot?

To see which modules and slots work?

If the stick you say is defective, works if it's the only one you insert, then it's not the stick. It's either the mobo or CPU that can't handle it, or both, since for your mobo, 3600 MHz is the limit. And when this is the case, normally the limit frequency apply to only 2 sticks, not to 4 sticks population.

There are "AMD specific" FlareX sticks from G.Skill with 3200 14-14-14-34 timings as well.

5 hours ago, Reezo said:

I just did some measurements and it looks more like.. shy of 3cm from the glass. I still think it's not that big of a deal considering there is 3x 120mm taking air in and 3x 120mm taking it out (two of which blowing vertically up through the radiator). These are just honest guesses of mine, no expert here.

Two more things:

[...]

2) I wrote Deepcool about the AIO Pump behavior:

And they replied:

"1) No matter you connect the pump to the AIO_PUMP connector or CPU_OPT connector, It is doable.
2) The pump should keep running 100% all the time in PWM"

.. I thought AIO_PUMP at 100% would wear the pump down in the long run? I had it set to something like:

• 20C = 20%
  • 50C = 75%
  • 60C = 100%

I am sure you guys in here can elaborate on that, thanks!

0) The space between the GPU fans and the case should be more than enough.

I just made a quick calculation, and the area on the sides is at least 3 times as big as the area of all three fans combined.

So there should be no chocking from that.

2) The way i understand this, is that you shouldn't change the power setting of the pump manually if you connect it to a PWM pluck (4 Pins).

That way the mobo will take control of the rpm, just as it would for a fan.

Not sure if this is correct though, i'T just what came to my mind first.

I know a lot of people, that use non "AMD specific" G.Skill Trident Z and Ripjaws V on their Ryzen 3xxx and with XMP 3600 MHz and more they work just fine.

If a kit is not in the QVL, it simply means, that it wasn't tested.

One simply can't test absolutely all existing sticks and their combinations.

Also the QVL appears when the mobo gets releases. If there are new sticks that come out after this, they won't be in the QVL, most likely.

Thanks @HaseDesTodes:

1 minute ago, HaseDesTodes said:

0) The space between the GPU fans and the case should be more than enough.

I just made a quick calculation, and the area on the sides is at least 3 times as big as the area of all three fans combined.

So there should be no chocking from that.

I did a quick test with the case open (no glass in front of the GPU) and I am running 3-4 degrees colder with the case open, vs the same vertically-placed GPU with the glass closed. I guess this would be the same for maybe all situations where you open the case, rather than based on the position.. just a guess.

1 minute ago, HaseDesTodes said:

2) The way i understand this, is that you shouldn't change the power setting of the pump manually if you connect it to a PWM pluck (4 Pins).

That way the mobo will take control of the rpm, just as it would for a fan.

Interesting, I thought they meant "make it run at 100% speed all the time" but maybe they meant "make it run in a way that it can use its full range of potential, from zero to 100". Now I need to ask them again 🙂 and report back. It seems weird that a water pump "must' run at 100% strength all the time..

1 minute ago, Groove_C said:

I know a lot of people, that use non "AMD specific" G.Skill Trident Z and Ripjaws V on their Ryzen 3xxx and with XMP 3600 MHz and more they work just fine.

If a kit is not in the QVL, it simply means, that it wasn't tested.

One simply can't test absolutely all existing sticks and their combinations.

Also the QVL appears when the mobo gets releases. If there are new sticks that come out after this, they won't be in the QVL, most likely.

True. In the end there's only real field testing.

I am thinking 2x8 at 3600 will make ArmA 3 happier than 4x2800 but I might be wrong on this one..especially after one hour of playing.

Groove_C : I have still a collection of Balistix and  HyperX sticks not working on Ryzens used now on Intel builds and a lot of RAM return receipts to the seller due to non-functioning.

Reezo : the gap in performances benching Arma3 between Corsair LPX 3200 C16 and G.Skill TridentZ NEO 3600 C16 is 1/3 FPS in YAAB, and invisible in game.

Also none of sticks I used in the past and also present sticks are not in the QVL of my mobo and certainly not at timings I set them to, but everything works just fine.