Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

Hello everyone 🙂

Just wanted to throw in this article and ask you guys what you think of the news.

When I stumbled over it, I must confess I was very exited.

Could this be a true successor to the 5775C?

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts!

Wow... 5GHZ, 8 Cores, 16 Thread AND EDRAM?! 

That might keep me from moving to Ryzen 3.... Might...

• Haha 1

I think a lot of people are asking  the same question and you wonder why ...

e6PCmrzh.jpg

... it was 3/4 years ago [source : Hardware.fr]

Edited by oldbear
English is not my maternal language, but you had already get it

i7-5775C still delivers a very good performance in CPU limited games.

unhsu2enlsnb.jpg

4.2/3.3/1.8 GHz Core/Cache/eDRAM.
1600 MHz DDR3 CL9.

Cache/eDRAM could have been overclocked to 3.6-3.8/2.0-2.2 GHz.

So imagine 16 threads @ 5.0+ GHz with eDRAM )))

As I said - I'm excited...

Need to put some money aside to get me one (or two) - oughtabe worth it though 😉

What I wondered - if they really put the eDRAM on chips without/ deactivated iGPU - could the additional space be used to put even more than the Iris Pro's 128Mbit on the chip? Like maybe 256Mbit? Would that even make much of a difference?

Given Intel otherwise seems to have no other way to go, in order to counter Ryzen 3 - esp. since Sunny Cove seems quite far off - I could see that happening..

Though scouring the Internet it seems like most people do not see the benefits (as worthy enough).. 

You guys think Intel begs to differ?

They should know best that the 5xxxC series chips performed (in some applications)  really  amazing because of their L4 cache.

And eDRAM compensates a lot (FPS) for not having the fastest RAM available, because with DDR3 1600 CL9 vs. DDR3 2400 CL9, there FPS difference can only be measured, but not noticed at all, using an i7-5775C.

Use a fan to blow cold air onto your ram. Ideally a bigger fan with a lower RPM for silent. I did this to mine and it does improve the OC for example.

Do the same for the power regulation on your mother board (the heatsinks near the CPU).

@MuffinDealer

1. 3200 MHz is the absolute max RAM frequency for 1st gen. Ryzen top high end mainboards.

2. 1st gen. Ryzens are not that high RAM frequencies friendly (only a minority of them are capable of 3200 MHz).

3. You should buy Ryzen compatible RAM (should be single rank?).

4. Your RAM should be placed in A1 and B1 slots (1 slot of space between them for dual channel operation)

5. You should update your BIOS to the latest available version (December 2018), which includes AGESA (AMD microcode update) 1.0.0.6 version for improved RAM stability/compatibility.

6. You should set you RAM to XMP profil in the BIOS.

7. There is no problem @ 3200 Mhz with 2nd gen. Ryzens with the latest AGESA using Ryzen compatible RAM.

Othewise try to find the lowest latencies for 2933 MHz.

2933 MHz dual rank RAM is on par with single rank 3200 MHz RAM.

Yours is dual rank, I think.

Have a look at the QVL RAM list for your ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING motherboard ...

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/STRIX_B350-F_GAMING/Raven_Ridge_Memory_QVL_ROG_STRIX_B350-F_GAMING_180209.pdf

... so far I have not seen your 2*4 GB ADATA XPG 3200Mhz kit on this list, it can explain the crashes.

+1 for

2 hours ago, Groove_C said:

1st gen. Ryzens are not that high RAM frequencies friendly (only a minority of them are capable of 3200 MHz).

I had also played lottery and lost with the 1st gen Ryzen , unfinalised BIOS and unlisted RAM.

Unlisted RAM only means that this particular RAM was not tested for compatibility, but not that it's not compatible.

Consider, that new RAM comes all the time, even after the mainboard is not produced/updated anymore.

It's simply almost impossible to test all available RAM on all available mainboards.

My 32 GB (4X8) 2400 MHz G.Skill RAM (1.65 V 10-12-12-31-2) is also "not supported" by my mainboard.

But I have successfully tested it with 8 hrs Prime95 and 8 hrs Karhu RAM Test at <1.65 V and 10-11-12-18-1 primary timings.

No crashes in ArmA even after >8 hrs of non-stop gameplay.

Secondary timings are also set.

Have just to finish configuring/testing remaining tertiary timings (marked in red).

sanstitre4ezkpl.jpg

(ASRock Timing Configurator)

That's not the point.

Here have a problem with 3 main hardware parameters : MoBo, CPU and RAM.

Each one of these hardware parameters having their own .

Take RAM as an example, single or double rank, timing and CAS, chip maker ...

All those parameters are involved when a BIOS [more or less up to date] try to boot.

So, here, unless the RAM is listed it's a trial and error based task.

Because of the peculiarities of the Ryzen initial version, caution is required.

And we must admit that failure is possible.

While testing, here at home, I found that the Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 3000MHz C15 XMP 2.0 gave stable operation.

On both ASRock AB350ITX and ASUS B350M motherboards.

It was great because that RAM was not recognize accurately on the Z170 Gigabyte I had then on my #1 game rig !

+1

10 minutes ago, oldbear said:

All those parameters are involved when a BIOS [more or less up to date] try to boot.

So, here, unless the RAM is listed it's a trial and error based task.

And we must admit that failure is possible.

I have purchased mine and was ready to return it in case if it wouldn't have booted, as it's not listed in the QVL for my mobo.

Good to know:

10 minutes ago, oldbear said:

While testing, here at home, I found that the Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 3000MHz C15 XMP 2.0 gave stable operation.

On both ASRock AB350ITX and ASUS B350M motherboards.

It was great because that RAM was not recognize accurately on the Z170 Gigabyte I had then on my #1 game rig !

6 hours ago, oldbear said:

Have a look at the QVL RAM list for your ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING motherboard ...

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/STRIX_B350-F_GAMING/Raven_Ridge_Memory_QVL_ROG_STRIX_B350-F_GAMING_180209.pdf

... so far I have not seen your 2*4 GB ADATA XPG 3200Mhz kit on this list, it can explain the crashes.

+1 for

I had also played lottery and lost with the 1st gen Ryzen , unfinalised BIOS and unlisted RAM.

The thing that puzzles me is that the RAM in question passed memtest86 without any errors, so that would make me believe that Arma3/Windows10 is using ram in a way that causes problems but is not part of the memtest86 standard test.

Also on the ADATA website for configuration compatibility, my ram is listed as compatible for my motherboard B350-F Strix.

On the Adata website i noticed that 16 16 16 timing is not even on their spec sheet for 2x4GB 3200Mhz RAM but that is what bios and box timings show, so i thought the timing is causing issues.. but like i said in the post i linked here: "it passed both 16 16 16 and 16 18 18 timings without a single error".

Each test runs for ~1h40min = 0errors, Arma3 ~5min = total game crash... It could be Windows10 but i'll have to test other games on 3200Mhz, since web browsing/desktop works without noticeable errors (have not been playing much else these times...Arma life xD).

*ram is installed properly and everything else is updated to latest drivers

I'll try advanced memtest86 when i'll not be using my PC for a few hours. Is there anything else i can try?

Could you tell us if the ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING BIOS  is  version 4207 featuring  AGESA 1006 ?

4 hours ago, oldbear said:

Could you tell us if the ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING BIOS  is  version 4207 featuring  AGESA 1006 ?

I thought I made that part clear by mentioning everything is updated, but to clear any confusions 😊 I'll specify which versions are currently installed:

MB driver: 4207

GPU: 19.2.3

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 17134.590 (1803/RS4)

RAM testing done with: MemTest86 v8.1 Free Edition (standard - preset test) installed on a Transcend 8GB USB 2.0

If I've missed anything let me know and I'll check that up as well. 🙂

To answer your previous question, I think you have done all rational moves in order to run your 2*4 GB ADATA XPG 3200Mhz up to 3200 MHz.

It seems that the lottery is still working for 1st gen Ryzen.

Now, stop this, play Arma3 and enjoy 😎

• Like 1

Checkout this video of an Intel i9-9900K + 2080Ti with ARMA 3 @ 1440p ... look at the CPU jump all over the place!

Cannot wait to see the KFC with locked OC cores in this game.

• Like 1

@ Sertica : I don't understand the question

Why is your system using only 7.5gb of ram when you have 16?

Arma3 is extremely sensitive when it comes to memory management. So, when I play, other programs utilization is canceled.

During SP tests only Windows 10, Steam, Arma3,  HWiNFO and AfterBurner for monitoring are running.

Nearly 8 Go are needed, the idea is to let the game have maximum memory space and bandwidth.

Doing so and allowing virtual memory helps to get the best FPS level.

On 3/3/2019 at 4:16 AM, oldbear said:

So, when I play, other programs utilization is canceled.

Other then using the task manager to turn things off, is there a program, or a setting in win10 that i can use to only run those things for the OS, steam, the game,

and what i use for the game, in order to maximize performance, make use of most of my computer's resources?

Im running win 10 64bit specs in my sig.

@Mahatma Gandhi

I have finally finished optimizing secondary and tertiary timings of my 32 GB Trident X RAM.

And here is the result @ standard preset @ 1080p @ 4.8 GHz (instead of 5.0 GHz).

arma3_x642019-03-2721gzkuo.jpg sanstitre6xgk8s.jpg

• Like 1