Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

@ HaseDesTodes :  This "new" Ryzen generation is mainly based upon a minimal evolution in process and a bug  correction in cache hierarchy.

Now it's working like it should have been from the start.

So a MoBo with a 400 series chipset is not needed, and a B350 is offering more options than a A320 one.

All official references to the advanced OC assets [ overclocking via GPP0/GPP1 and eCLK1/eCLK2 modes] have disappeared from official AMD comms.

An Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS motherboard is a good choice.

In buying a B350 MoBo the only precaution is to check that it is marked "AMD Ryzen Desktop 2000 ready" like this one :

I6yriEWl.jpg

Edited by oldbear
English is not my mother tongue

@oldbear

i knew that Ryzen 2000 series is a slightly optimized version of the initial Ryzen CPUs.

But i thought i had read, that things like Precison Boost 2.0 worked only with the new chipsets.

But i tried to look it up where i read it, and it seems like i misunderstood that passage. (if i understood it correctly this time :) )

So you are right, B350 should work just as fine.

Used to be a pretty hardcore hardware fetish but guess age made me more 'too tired to F with it..'

Anyways I had a pretty sweet Arma 3 setup with:

Maximus VIII Mobo

16gb DDR4 3200 High Performance Ram

i5 6600k Overclocked to 4.5

250 SSD

Nvidia 1060 6gb

..but my kid bumped my open PC tower and killed the mobo. Luckily I had a spare build of components

Lower end Asus z97 Board

8 Gigs 1600 Ram

i5 4690k Overclocked 4.3

500 Generic Hard drive with Arma while Operating system is on SSD (long story)

Nvidia 1060 6gb

So considering buying a new mobo to get my better cpu/ram combo going but honestly i dont feel much difference in game with either build -obviously a few fps but since Arma 3 would be the only reason for needing a higher build im just not sure its worth it. The reason im asking is you see these PC site graphs showing huge increases in Arma fps depending on newer CPU's and im just wondering if they are indeed that dramatic and its my memory thats flawed

Well, I believe that the 2 rigs -the one based upon i5 6600k and the spare - are more or less on the same level from Arma3 gaming point of view.

Upgrading to a Z270 basic MoBo and an i7 7700K can help getting a better experience.

brNilZgh.jpg

Source Test • AMD X470 & Ryzen 5 2600X / Ryzen 7 2700X

You have already 2 quite good ... and expensive assets : 16gb DDR4 @ 3200 and a GTX 1060 6GB and you don't need last CPU / Mobo combo.

• Thanks 1

Wow I didnt realise my chip was so far down the 'mediocre hole'. Jeez I minds well have hung on to my old 2500k (that was a great bang for buck chip) as its only 3 fps lower than what i have now. So I would need to upgrade mobo to just use my 6600k/3200 ram combo as current board is 1150 and the 6600k wants an 1151 as does the ram. Doesnt seem like much of a gain to shell out $150 for a 5.5 fps gain and would feel like a waste to just buy a new cpu 7700k, with 2 perfectly working good ones here. Also wonder if these fps charts retain these values when the cpus are all overclocked or are they diminished returns?

20 hours ago, oldbear said:

@ GuthixAwesome : welcome  :don16:

CPU : I will suggest to switch from Ryzen 5 1600X to Ryzen 5 2600X just released.

RAM : from what I saw in the offer, it's OK. Of course 16GB is better, but ... at a price!

CPU Cooler : the Ryzen 5 2600X is coming with a  Wraith Spire Cooler, so I suggest to use this one.

Note : in the future, do not plan buying single fan AIO water-cooling, it's noisy and not so effective.*

SSD : 250 GB is the minimum, be aware you must have Windows and Arma3 on this SSD. If you are using MODs, you must switch to 500 GB.

*I know, the Corsair H60 is back in the box and the old Noctua back in game.

@HaseDesTodes

Well here is where things get funny, I was talking to some guys online, and they told me to go to an i7-4790k due to ram being more cheaper and such of that nature, things ended up changing into this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jk7PV6.

Also buying parts off of reddit so it should be cheaper, was suggested to do this, and I tend to probably upgrade everything in the next year or two, depending on how work ends up happening. As I'm still just a good ole teen and don't have to worry about bills yet, might as well try and get some fun things with the money.

My budget dropped to $1200 cause erm, a customer threw some food at me and cussed me out. Said some things back and erm, that $100-$200 I'd of gotten won't be happening.

There's also this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wY7PV6 reddit prices are hugely different depending on the part. I might be able to get a better mobo for cheaper or the same that's better, but it all depends on how quick I am. Like 16gb 2400mhz is usually $140 or cheaper. And sometimes 2800mhz is cheaper. It's used but from what I've heard it's not going to break quickly, unless it's already broken and you got scammed.

May i suggest to not short yourself on the ram, as suggested minimum size is 16gb which you have and thats fine, however lowering the frequency

for the sake of price will cost you alot of fps.

Review this https://techreport.com/review/31179/intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-cpu-reviewed/11

If you cannot afford it right now, i suggest waiting til you can, please just trust me, sit on your money and get the better parts you have the money for.

Or get this for your ram, its 16gb, at 3200 freq, its way faster then what you chose which is 2400 freq, and only a $1 more ;)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Cf98TW/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvkb

and its compatible with your MSI mobo.

1 hour ago, Gunter Severloh said:

May i suggest to not short yourself on the ram, as suggested minimum size is 16gb which you have and thats fine, however lowering the frequency

for the sake of price will cost you alot of fps.

Review this https://techreport.com/review/31179/intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-cpu-reviewed/11

If you cannot afford it right now, i suggest waiting til you can, please just trust me, sit on your money and get the better parts you have the money for.

Or get this for your ram, its 16gb, at 3200 freq, its way faster then what you chose which is 2400 freq, and only a $1 more ;)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Cf98TW/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvkb

and its compatible with your MSI mobo.

The thing is, is I won't be able to get money for at least 3 ish months, for footballs practice is going to be starting. And my budget is now $1200. Finding good deals on Reddit is what I'm trying to do.

Understandable, mow some lawns, or get a part time job like washing dishes, shit when i was 8 i was working for my grandpa on his farm, did that til i was 15,

then the following year i got a job at a restaurant, washing dishes and busing tables, while going to a martial art school, and regular school,

surely you have some time to find something, how bad do you want it?

All im saying is dont settle for certain parts because they are cheaper, like your ram for instance, yes its cheaper but you sacrifice fps because of it.

i linked you some good ram though, its but a $1 more then what you chose and has the frequency you want which is 3000 or better,

anything lower then 3000 is moving towards a lower fps, all the rest of your parts look good.

1 hour ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Understandable, mow some lawns, or get a part time job like washing dishes, shit when i was 8 i was working for my grandpa on his farm, did that til i was 15,

then the following year i got a job at a restaurant, washing dishes and busing tables, while going to a martial art school, and regular school,

All im saying is dont settle for certain parts because they are cheaper, like your ram for instance, yes its cheaper but you sacrifice fps because of it.

i linked you some good ram though, its but a $1 more then what you chose and has the frequency you want which is 3000 or better,

anything lower then 3000 is moving towards a lower fps, all the rest of your parts look good.

Football starts in a week, and school is still happening so I won't be able to get a job. Football is after school 3-5 for offseason practice, and all the jobs near me are 4-10, and I have never weeded or edged in my life. I'm trying to use Reddit to find things off, so as a start will 8gb be fine or see if I can go to 12gb, because anything will be an upgrade probably over my gt 650m and i7 3840qm, currently have a laptop so it's a bit of a downer. And how much of a difference in fps is a 1600 MHz from 3200+ Or 3200 and 2400.

Actually looking on Reddit and finding some good deals, might be able to snag a 7700k for $240. Most 6700k's are $220-.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

But do you think I could cutdown on anything else to make the price less expensive? 

7 hours ago, GuthixAwesome said:

But do you think I could cutdown on anything else to make the price less expensive? 

If you are on a budget try to switch to a mid range high-level combo such as ...

Intel - Core i3-8350K / be quiet! - PURE ROCK CPU Cooler / Asus - Prime Z370-P / Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 / Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD

On 4/24/2018 at 8:59 AM, GuthixAwesome said:

And how much of a difference in fps is a 1600 MHz from 3200+ Or 3200 and 2400.

I believe its a combination of things that make the difference, if you stay with the specs you chose, but have the 3200 freq ram i linked

you or another, the difference is with 2400 would be around 45-50fps, whereas having 3200 would be 55+

In my specs i have 32gb with 3600 freq, im averaging 80+fps, depending on the map and mission, for example Tanoa map, i can easily get 80+ FPS,

go to Georgetown and it drops to 45-50fps.

15 hours ago, GuthixAwesome said:

I think what you chose is good, but you could always compare prices at other stores, like Newegg, or other places and see what you would pay for the same parts.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

I believe its a combination of things that make the difference, if you stay with the specs you chose, but have the 3200 freq ram i linked

you or another, the difference is with 2400 would be around 45-50fps, whereas having 3200 would be 55+

In my specs i have 32gb with 3600 freq, im averaging 80+fps, depending on the map and mission, for example Tanoa map, i can easily get 80+ FPS,

go to Georgetown and it drops to 45-50fps.

I think what you chose is good, but you could always compare prices at other stores, like Newegg, or other places and see what you would pay for the same parts.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2JRvfH

Something like this? I'm looking at the comparison between the i3-8350k(saw going for $115) and i7-6700k($220) and the i3 is better according to the comparison site, I'm also trying to buy off of Reddit too which will drop the price some. Just under 1200, and maybe I can get a solid deal on 16gb of 3000mhz+ ram, usually it's 30-70 cheaper on Reddit for 16gb ram. And what case would you recommend, have the nzxt elite case selected but any other ones you'd recommend for around the same price?

53 minutes ago, GuthixAwesome said:

And what case would you recommend, have the nzxt elite case selected but any other ones you'd recommend for around the same price?

the thing with cases is, that it's hard to tell what is good, just by looking at the specs. (maybe search at amazon and check the comments)

i'd say, the case you have selected should work, unless you want to put a dvd/bd drive in it at some point. that case has no 5.25" bays, so you would have to use an external one.

just from looking at the cheaper prices, this might also be something:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bqxfrH/thermaltake-case-ca1b200m1wn00

oh and the PSU you selected...

it's non-modular, so if you get a case with a window, you will probably see the not-needed cables.

i'd suggest you get a fully modular one:

"only" 550W (should be more than enough), but a bit cheaper than the one you have selected and fully modular:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sMM323/evga-supernova-g3-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0550

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bkp323/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fx

or 650W and the same price, but at least semi-modular:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qn7v6h/seasonic-focus-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fm

Ram:

this one should be as fast, but a few bucks cheaper:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4n648d/gskill-tridentz-series-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c16d-16gtzkw

in case you find cheaper ram you and want to ensure compatibility with the MB. for the Asus Prime Z370-A you can use this list:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z370-A/PRIME_Z370-A_memory_QVL_report0118.pdf?_ga=2.83581846.1419162780.1524670961-96542582.1524670961

you can find similar lists for all mainboards, so in case you select a different one you might have to check again.

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone

Im looking to get a pc to play arma 3 but I don’t know anything about PCs. Can someone take a look at this one I found and tell me if it will run arma.

Origin Eon15-S

Display Type: FHD 1920 x 1080 15.6" IPS Matte Display

Graphic Cards: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 

Processors: Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad-Core 2.80GHz (3.80GHz TurboBoost) 

Memory: 8GB ORIGIN PC Approved DDR4 2400MHz (2 X 4GB) 

Operating System: MS Windows 10 Home 

Hard Drive: 500GB Seagate 2.5" FireCuda Flash-Accelerated Hard Drive

If it can’t run arma can you give me some starting points to look at. Thank you.

I have a craptop, with these specs: intel core i5-5200U, NVIDIA GeForce 940M (4gig dedicated VRAM), 8 gig ram (dd3), 1TB hdd hard drive, windows 10, 15-inch HD-ready (1366x768). 

It'll run, how good it'll run is something else.  I'm getting an average of 20 FPS on normal settings with low view distance.

2 hours ago, stanhope said:

I have a craptop, with these specs: intel core i5-5200U, NVIDIA GeForce 940M (4gig dedicated VRAM), 8 gig ram (dd3), 1TB hdd hard drive, windows 10, 15-inch HD-ready (1366x768). 

It'll run, how good it'll run is something else.  I'm getting an average of 20 FPS on normal settings with low view distance.

Do you think I should get it or try to get something else?

Alrighty my helpers, this is the finale

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/stcbhy

will start buying things on Friday.

Is CPU cooler enough to OC or should I invest in a new one?

Will probably invest in more SSD's later down the road, **may be able to score a job** football practice times got changed(thank the lord). But the practice times don't change till summer times hit(fairly obvious reason).

52 minutes ago, GuthixAwesome said:

Alrighty my helpers, this is the finale

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/stcbhy

That cooler is fine for moderate overclocking. Anything above the stock cooler is fine for OC'ing. I get you are on a budget, but I will reiterate what some others have said. Waiting a little while until you have enough money for the right parts is often better than buying something that is not really appropriate. You will generally end up replacing the part anyway, thus spending more ultimately. But your build looks good. I hope you enjoy it

• Thanks 1

Heya good people on the internet!

Following his thread for quite some time now, influenced my recent choice for my own pc a great deal. Thanks to you all for that and the help given to - surely - many others!

I seem to have a question though, to which I couldn't for the life of me find an appropriate answer; hope you can help!

My group is coming together now to invest in a home server; one of our 'members' has glass fibre connection and no real issues in regards to electricity costs ;) Soo..

The main question I have and which nobody could answer me; what would be the best CPU for that Server?

Player numbers would regularly be between 10-32 players, with our own server however, we planned to perhaps, use it for events with other clans, depending on mission, maybe even "public" - with many more players then.

Missions would be rather common, proprietary MilSim(-Style) CoOp scenarios, sometimes adversarial.

Modsets would be either Vanilla; Vanilla + ACE; RHS + ACE and of course ACRE and ASR_AI; from time to time, depending on mission, also toadie2k's fabulous weapon packs!

That being said:

I was thinking about either an i7-7820X (@4,8Ghz) or an i7-8700K (@4,8Ghz).

RAM will be 32GB (4x8gb), GSkill 4266Mhz CL19; CPU will get decent AIO cooling regardless of choice (either 280 or 360mm Rad, Corsair).

Our goal would be to populate our server with a lot of AI to create an immersive, dynamic AO, without sacrificing much performance in the way, i.e. as few scripts as possible. Since we have strict rules on RoE, civilians and partisans are essential to many of our missions.

To achieve all of this, we want to wrap our heads around Headless Clients; and want our machine to be able to make use of as many as sensible.

I imagined, according to my "research", that the i7-8700K could easily manage 2 HCs, while the i7-7820X might easily run 4 HCs, while offering all the different instances better access to RAM; SK-X cash-mesh might even be beneficial here? Anyways.

What do you guys think?

TL;DR - Up to 32 player home server - money not  that  much of a concern:

i7-7820X or i7-8700K, both @4;8Ghz, decent cooling will be provided.

Best regards,

~ 

1 hour ago, Groove_C said:

@alessiomoreno

Easy -> Corsair RM650X (Seasonic)

did i miss something? he asked which CPU (aka processor) he should get and you tell him which PSU he should get.

on topic:

Idk, how well Arma servers use cores, but in case, they do well... maybe a Ryzen Threadripper...

maybe even a Ryzen R7 2700X. CPU clocks are pretty much the same as with the i7 7820X, but the TDP is lower..

in case servers need fast RAM, the i7 7820X should be the better choice. Ryzens (and Threadrippers) don't support Ram faster than 3600Mhz, while Intel gets up to 4600Mhz.

but if the server does need more single core performance and fast Ram

you will have to go for the i7 8700k.

now it all depends on what Arma servers need...

has any1 even tested this properly?

i'm also quite interested in this, because i should get FTTH soon(ish). (only problem with that, is that i only get 1 dynamic IPv6 IP)

• Haha 1

@alessiomoreno

8700K is ~ 7700K+2 cores

7xxxX suck because of their architecture (mesh).

You can use 4 threads for server, 4 threads for HC1 and 4 threads for HC2 (by setting affinity in Task Manager -> Details -> RMB on arma3_x64.exe)

On HC1 you can put AIs (infantry/vehicles/air).

On HC2 you can put:

- AO and radio tower scripts

- cleaning scripts

- dead units

- destroyed, dammaged, left/unused vehicles