Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

21 minutes ago, Tankbuster said:

Yes, it's an old i3. Not nearly strong enough. Like I said before, you need to double your budget.

I know you said that.but I cant.

And if that's too old I think I'll just stick with the original laptop. It's got better chances.

@ Crazyn1tw1t : that's right, this Asus VivoBook 15.6" Laptop is featuring an Intel i3-5005u running @  2GHz, too slow for the job.

But in your last post,  you write "... I also want to play games with higher demanding graphics...".

I will tell you again that the 1st laptop you speak about in your 1st post probably featuring 2 processing units  will NOT  allow you to play if it

...2.5ghz-2.9ghz

Amd radeon r4

4gb ram (upgradable)

Two cores are not enough to process up to date games and Arma3 as well.

The Integrated Graphic Processing Unit in the marketed by AMD as a Graphic Card such as the AMD Radeon R4 is not fit to display games.

Get the  AMD A6-9220 Review on Notebook.net

Could you have a look at a laptop such as the LENOVO IdeaPad 320S-14IKB 14" Laptop featuring  an Intel i5-8250U/Intel Graphics 620/8 GB/128 GB SSD

I know it's out of your extra-low budget range but this is one of a kind allowing you to play a game

1 hour ago, oldbear said:

@ Crazyn1tw1t : that's right, this Asus VivoBook 15.6" Laptop is featuring an Intel i3-5005u running @  2GHz, too slow for the job.

But in your last post,  you write "... I also want to play games with higher demanding graphics...".

I will tell you again that the 1st laptop you speak about in your 1st post probably featuring 2 processing units  will NOT  allow you to play if it

Two cores are not enough to process up to date games and Arma3 as well.

The Integrated Graphic Processing Unit in the marketed by AMD as a Graphic Card such as the AMD Radeon R4 is not fit to display games.

Get the  AMD A6-9220 Review on Notebook.net

Could you have a look at a laptop such as the LENOVO IdeaPad 320S-14IKB 14" Laptop featuring  an Intel i5-8250U/Intel Graphics 620/8 GB/128 GB SSD

I know it's out of your extra-low budget range but this is one of a kind allowing you to play a game

I found s similar model within my price range. Upgradable ram. But its got an Intel Pentium 2.30ghz 2mb cache.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-320s-14ikb-14-laptop-grey-10169166-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR#tab2

HD 610 graphics 

@Crazyn1tw1t unfortunately, you can't expect any 'playable' framerates with laptop, unless you pay really, really high price. equilavent to top notch desktop price, you can get a 'decent' laptop to play arma..

since laptops have already crippled cpu, buying the best and latest will only give you "midrange" desktop performance.

Pentium 2.30ghz 2mb cache on last link you have...will probably barely run the game and keep at framerate above 20, at best case scenario.

It's just the way it is. laptops have crippled cpu generally because of power needs. even the best laptop cpu cannot match with desktop's lower model. and they are way too expensive. so gaming on laptop is not something doable unless you are paying really high $$$

2 minutes ago, goko- said:

@Crazyn1tw1t unfortunately, you can't expect any 'playable' framerates with laptop, unless you pay really, really high price. equilavent to top notch desktop price, you can get a 'decent' laptop to play arma..

since laptops have already crippled cpu, buying the best and latest will only give you "midrange" desktop performance.

Pentium 2.30ghz 2mb cache on last link you have...will probably barely run the game and keep at framerate above 20, at best case scenario.

It's just the way it is. laptops have crippled cpu generally because of power needs. even the best laptop cpu cannot match with desktop's lower model. and they are way too expensive. so gaming on laptop is not something doable unless you are paying really high $$$

I need a computer for school work so it needs to be portable. Just the limitations. Anyway it's either that or an a6-9220 cpu.

@Crazyn1tw1t something similar to i5-7200U, at least, would give you decent framerates. Otherwise, get intel between the two you mention but they won't make that much difference. I'd pay some 60-70€ more and get i3 7100 or i5 7200u.

5 minutes ago, goko- said:

@Crazyn1tw1t something similar to i5-7200U, at least, would give you decent framerates. Otherwise, get intel between the two you mention but they won't make that much difference. I'd pay some 60-70€ more and get i3 7100 or i5 7200u.

I cant do that my budget is quite strict as it's for school as well.

@ Crazyn1tw1t : [personal mode ON] I will tell you something about my own experience as a guy trying to help young people having not much money and trying to play Arma3.

I am currently spending a lot of time on French jeuvideo.com site Arma3 forums.

I am a Moderator here and I am managing some sub-forums about  how the game works, how you can tweak it and what is need to make it run.

IRL, I am also helping people around me without money to get computers at a low cost.

Some  were garbage, now they are working computers during the process I test low cost options, most of them have been give away afterwards.

So what I am trying to say is based on my own experience and feelings. [personal mode OFF]

In order to do office or multimedia tasks, as well as school jobs you don't need a powerful rig, the LENOVO IdeaPad 320s featuring a Pentium 4415U (dual core @2.3 GHz) and 4 GB DDR4 is OK for the job but unfit for gaming.

In order to play on a laptop you need :

- CPU : dual core [2 core/4 threads] or quad core  @ 2.4 GHz minimum*

- GPU : Intel HD Graphics 4000 minimum

- RAM : 6GB minimum

- HD : SSD 128GB or SSHD 500GB

* ATM there is still NO laptop featuring AMD APU  allowing to play Arma3, it can be RUN , not PLAYED.

From what I know the only solution you have is to go for a refurbished offer on a safe site

7 hours ago, oldbear said:

@ Crazyn1tw1t : [personal mode ON] I will tell 9you something about my own experience as a guy trying to help young people having not much money and trying to play Arma3.

I am currently spending a lot of time on French jeuvideo.com site Arma3 forums.

I am a Moderator here and I am managing some sub-forums about  how the game works, how you can tweak it and what is need to make it run.

IRL, I am also helping people around me without money to get computers at a low cost.

Some  were garbage, now they are working computers during the process I test low cost options, most of them have been give away afterwards.

So what I am trying to say is based on my own experience and feelings. [personal mode OFF]

In order to do office or multimedia tasks, as well as school jobs you don't need a powerful rig, the LENOVO IdeaPad 320s featuring a Pentium 4415U (dual core @2.3 GHz) and 4 GB DDR4 is OK for the job but unfit for gaming.

In order to play on a laptop you need :

- CPU : dual core [2 core/4 threads] or quad core  @ 2.4 GHz minimum*

- GPU : Intel HD Graphics 4000 minimum

- RAM : 6GB minimum

- HD : SSD 128GB or SSHD 500GB

* ATM there is still NO laptop featuring AMD APU  allowing to play Arma3, it can be RUN , not PLAYED.

From what I know the only solution you have is to go for a refurbished offer on a safe site

Edit: I found this one it has an i3-7100u. A 128gb ssd 4gb ram (upgradable) but no mention of the graphics.https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-320s-14ikb-14-laptop-grey-10169170-pdt.html

So, I can't run it on the original one.

Okay. But I don't see what's wrong with the last one mention. Okay it's got a Pentium but it should be Alble to run it and I can upgrade the ram. Intel HD 610 isn't amazing but it can play the game. At this point I will have to decide between the first

and the last option.

I agree, you can run Arma3 on a laptop featuring a i3-7100U if it's really updatable to 8GB RAM [and not limited to 4GB soldered RAM] it will be just on the playability limit.

Some GPU bottleneck is to be expected in demanding graphic environment such as Tanoa jungle and town.

Of course throttling issue is always a concern on such slim notebook using "U - Ultra-low power" processor.

4 hours ago, oldbear said:

I agree, you can run Arma3 on a laptop featuring a i3-7100U if it's really updatable to 8GB RAM [and not limited to 4GB soldered RAM] it will be just on the playability limit.

Some GPU bottleneck is to be expected in demanding graphic environment such as Tanoa jungle and town.

Of course throttling issue is always a concern on such slim notebook using "U - Ultra-low power" processor.

That's fantastic I was worrying a little as my friends were saying it wouldn't.

Before being over enthusiastic you must verify if it's really updatable to 8GB RAM.

By the way, if you can get 8 GB, performances are going to be just on the playability limit.

1 hour ago, oldbear said:

Before being over enthusiastic you must verify if it's really updatable to 8GB RAM.

By the way, if you can get 8 GB, performances are going to be just on the playability limit.

I'm 99% certain that it does as every other laptop in it's 'model number' has that as an option I'll check tho.

Edit: after a search through the questions tab I've found out that all models seem to have upgradable ram and the same ssd. But seem to have different cpus and integrated graphics.

Edit 2.0: crucial do a ram upgrade kit for this laptop so all is good.

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Lenovo/ideapad-320s-14ikb

On 01/02/2018 at 4:26 PM, oldbear said:

Thanks for your help I picked the laptop up today.

Hi, I’m looking to get into PC gaming. Specifically, ARMA 3. I am going to list the specs of the PC I am looking at below. Can anybody tell me if it will run? Thanks! 

Processor: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz

RAM: DDR3 SDRAM 8GB

GPU: Radeon RX 560 2GB

Memory: 1TB

4 hours ago, Evan_shel said:

Hi, I’m looking to get into PC gaming. Specifically, ARMA 3. I am going to list the specs of the PC I am looking at below. Can anybody tell me if it will run? Thanks! 

Processor: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz

RAM: DDR3 SDRAM 8GB

GPU: Radeon RX 560 2GB

Memory: 1TB

I had a look at the specs from what you showed you should be able to run it fine.

Hello, I was wondering if my pc could run this game before I bought it.

Specs below~

GTX 950 2GB

16GB Ram

AMD FX-Series FX-8320 (3.50 GHz)

Not expecting to be able to run on max settings

Acceptable at a very low price ... or as a gift.

GTX 950 is OK and will allow "High/Very High" video quality settings.

AMD FX-8320 is the weakest link and will allow to play in the 20/30 FPS range.

It's already an obsolete platform without much hope of improvement.

A better GPU, meaning a GTX 1060 will allow to play in "Ultra" but without much FPS gains.

On 2/27/2018 at 10:43 PM, tiptonryan57 said:

Hello, I was wondering if my pc could run this game before I bought it.

Specs below~

GTX 950 2GB

16GB Ram

AMD FX-Series FX-8320 (3.50 GHz)

Not expecting to be able to run on max settings

On 2/28/2018 at 9:26 AM, oldbear said:

AMD FX-8320 is the weakest link and will allow to play in the 20/30 FPS range.

I beg to differ Im running a AMD FX-8320E in my secondary gaming desktop with great results! Though I have a GTX 970 in it i get 60-70 fps in single player and 45-60fps on my personal Arma 3 server. Note i have it OC to 4.3ghz but thats only a 300mhz oc from the boost.  The weakest link is your GPU but that is still a solid system and will handle Arma 3 at 1080p with out a problem. Draw distance is where you will eat up performance as long as you play with the settings you will be fine. 

On 26/02/2018 at 11:21 AM, dave_beastttt said:

Why not just download and play free https://www.projectargo.net 
If your PC can run that, it can run Arma.

This is the BEST thing to do for anyone interested in ARMA 3

It will give some idea of performance AND basic gameplay before you buy.

Dave: Phantasm, great film ;)

• Like 1

@ EDcase : Sorry but being able to run Argo is not a proof you can run Arma3 at the same level.

Malden if a small terrain and the limited assets to be played in Argo, allow you to play even with a very low CPU.

You can play Argo with an AMD A8-9600 , but you can't play Arma3.

You can get a look by yourself at the short review I have released on French CanardPC forums ...

http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/116130-Jouer-à-Arma3-avec-un-AMD-APU-A8-9600-Rogue-Zero

... of course, the text is in French but it shows some pics and figures.

@ shadowlid : please post FPS figures for your rig tested with YAAB with Standard setting so we can enhance our knowledge.

Even if I can get over 110 FPS with my #1 gaming rig [i7-7700K/GTX 1060 6GB/ 16 GB DDR4 3200/SSD 500Go [W10] + SSD 500Go [Arma*]], most of the time I am playing  in the 30/60 FPS range, and I am getting around 50 FPS on YAAB.

Some informations based on last AMD APU R3 2200G/2400G Arma3 tests on French Comptoir du Hardware site :

RiLP8IZh.jpg

No, the GTX 950 is NOT the weak link.

Performances of this GPU are at the GTX 1050 level, such a graphics card will allow you to play Arma 3 on  "Very High / Ultra" quality with some restrictions in lighting  post-process and antialiasing settings.

Even if, after Visual Upgrade  GPU performance has become much more important not only for graphic effects but also for the overall performance of the configuration, Arma3 is still CPU dependent.

The Visibility > Overall  "video parameter" is NOT a GPU parameter and is in fact a 100% CPU parameter.

NZQBO8Ih.jpg

It defines the area of terrain that the processor must compute before any other rendering operation.

Of course with a limited "Visibility" you can get high FPS level in SP, it will be much more difficult on some server.

I must add that on a TvT server some TerrainGrid tweaking will allow the mission maker to help all players to get a playable FPS level.

• Like 1

I said it would 'give some idea of performance'

If a computer can run Argo well then it will run ARMA3 fine as long as the settings (viewdistance) aren't pushed way up.

Terrain/Island size is not as relevant since that streams so is more dependant on HD/SSD speed.