Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

15 minutes ago, oldbear said:

Well ...

In order to get a look at what were really the performances in game with Arma3 on an AMD APU, I have bought an AMD APU A8-9600 desktop CPU in October, last year.

You can get a look by yourself at the short review I have released on French CanardPC forums ...

http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/116130-Jouer-à-Arma3-avec-un-AMD-APU-A8-9600-Rogue-Zero

... of course, the text is in French but it shows some pics and figures.

From my point of view, there is some difference between "running" the game and "playing" it.

Of course, with the said CPU, you can be in game, running it in the 15/25 FPS range in Standard settings.

Over 30 FPS, Arma3 is playable, under, the gaming experience is tedious and rather depressing .

Ok. By standard settings I guess you mean every thing is on standard.

(Bit of a silly question) 

I know that if i drop some of the settings (Not all) down to low I would have a playable experience.

Personally I'm not too bothered about 50fps+ on games. 

It would be nice but I don't feel it's necessary. (For me anyway)

1 hour ago, Tankbuster said:

A modern i3 would be a much better option for you.

The only problem with that is many new laptops with Intel processors seem to have fairly poor graphics cards.

I checked the integrity countless of times. And reinstalled the game like 5 times already. I don't know what you mean by clean install though. What I haven't mentioned yet I did in my post where Gunter told me to ask you guys. In case it wasn't clear I have played arma before without any problems, I didn't play the game for like a month or two and then this happened. 

- Checked integrity and didn't work So what does this ''clean install'' mean, cause when I reinstall the game now I still keep my KOTH progress? 

@ Crazyn1tw1t : Yes, you are right about poor "Intel® HD Graphics" performances.

No, you will not get a playable experience in dropping some of the settings  down to low.

It will be counterproductive and only stress the CPU  and getting crappy graphics.

@ KingAlectheFirst : please answer about you Steam Arma3 key.

43 minutes ago, Crazyn1tw1t said:

The only problem with that is many new laptops with Intel processors seem to have fairly poor graphics cards.

True enough but arma 3 doesn't need much gpu power. It's playable on my sons gtx 555.

OKi, spent too much time trying to help people having "non-legit" keys  ... I had to ask.

Question : what have you add on your PC during when " ... I didn't play the game for like a month or two" ?

I fixed it... It has been some time ago and I forgot that I had installed some mods through the workshop. I unsubscribed to all of them back then time but apparantly there was still a map of it on my SDD. I deleted that map in the hope it would work. I never even realised that I still had mods on my PC since it said I had none installed in the launcher... I want to thank all of you for trying to help me out. I am sorry for being such a dumbass and it being this problem, all of you spend quite a lot of time to help me fix this problem...

Thanks for everything you guys have done for me!

PS: It was the Battle royale mod, but after playing a few games I bought PUBG. If anyone has experienced this problem be sure to delete a map with an @ in the !workshop map.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oldbear said:

@ Crazyn1tw1t : you can get a look at Intel® HD Graphics 610 performances in game on my short Pentium G4560 Arma3 review on CanardPC forums : Jouer à Arma3 avec un Pentium [2] - L'Empire contre-attaque

I'm not sure I understand.

I looked at the link. The specs you mentioned fit the laptop I want. 

Is it something I'm missing with the cpu.

@ Crazyn1tw1t : I am trying to send you some infos about what you can expect from an Intel® HD Graphics 610.

If you find a rather recent laptop * using an Intel i3/i5 [2 cores/4threads] running @ 3 GHz or better, featuring 6/8 GB RAM and a 256 GB SSD you will have a chance to run the game ...

* a bit like this one : Lenovo 520S-14IKB featuring Intel I5-7200U Processor/8 GB RAM/128 GB SDD

41 minutes ago, oldbear said:

@ Crazyn1tw1t : I am trying to send you some infos about what you can expect from an Intel® HD Graphics 610.

If you find a rather recent laptop * using an Intel i3/i5 [2 cores/4threads] running @ 3 GHz or better, featuring 6/8 GB RAM and a 256 GB SSD you will have a chance to run the game ...

* a bit like this one : Lenovo 520S-14IKB featuring Intel I5-7200U Processor/8 GB RAM/128 GB SDD

The laptop mentioned looks really good. Shame it's about double my budget. 

I'll have to either try it with the first laptop or look around a bit more.

Edit.

Would a laptop like this be good enough.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15-bw060sa-15-6-laptop-grey-10164851-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=xlmxmiarix&istBid=tztx&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~1011 (PLA) Windows Laptops and Convertibles - Adaptive~1011 (PLA) Windows Laptops & Convertibles ad group~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=m&ds_kids=92700029819455112&PLA=1&tgtid=1011 (PLA) Windows Laptops and Convertibles - Adaptive&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzMDTBRDDARIsABX4AWy-mOC00KSR6YZFPljF46dnspDtWdTY_Abp58jszLnC4Wr-R0rWAaQaAiL9EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#tab2

54 minutes ago, Crazyn1tw1t said:

The laptop mentioned looks really good. Shame it's about double my budget. 

I'll have to either try it with the first laptop or look around a bit more.

Personally i would recommend getting a desktop PC for gaming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R0adki11 said:

Personally i would recommend getting a desktop PC for gaming.

I know but I need a computer for work as well. It needs to be portable.(for school etc)

I understand the budget part, but this HP 15-bw060sa 15.6  is not fit for the job, you need 6/8 GB in order to play Arma3 smoothly, on this one you can't add RAM.

As I have said previously you can RUN  the game on an AMD "Bristol Ridge" APU , graphic quality can be not so bad but you can't complain about the poor FPS level.

4 minutes ago, oldbear said:

I understand the budget part, but this HP 15-bw060sa 15.6  is not fit for the job, you need 6/8 GB in order to play Arma3 smoothly, on this one you can't add RAM.

As I have said previously you can RUN  the game on an AMD "Bristol Ridge" APU , graphic quality can be not so bad but you can't complain about the poor FPS level.

I saw that. It kinda out me off. A couple of the ones I'm looking at have upgradable ram so I'll get one of them. 

I'm guessing by smooth you mean 60fps but I wouldn't be unhappy with 25-30.

@ Crazyn1tw1t : 60 FPS ? Of course no, from my point of view the goal is to play over 30 FPS or more realistically in the 25/35 FPS range .

The main problem with these AMD APU you can find at a low price is that something in their architecture is unfit for gaming in memory demanding games such as Arma3.

They are alright for office usage and multimedia,  and even for some games not too demanding.

At the budget level you are looking for, there are not many options.

In order to play you need a 4 cores or 2 core/4 threads CPU @ 3GHz.

Laptops in sale are often  featuring outdated or more or less obsolete hardware.

Due to RAM price level most of those laptops are released with soldered and not updatable 4 GB.

Let's remember you will need 6/8 GB to play.

Most of these laptops are "notebook" in slim and sexy chassis not built for gaming.

Having limited cooling capabilities they are susceptible to throttle.

You can play on a laptop, ... I know!

You can try to play Arma3 with the laptop you need and can afford.

Tell us about your own experience.

Building upon what oldbear has mentioned, my backup machine is a laptop. It is a 2013 model year HP Envy,  i5 3230M 2 physical cores @2.60GHz, 12 GB RAM and an NVIDIA GT 740M graphics card. Its not the best but will run Arma decently on "Normal". It works fine for my purposes. You have to decide for yourself what's acceptable. 

8 hours ago, oldbear said:

@ Crazyn1tw1t : 60 FPS ? Of course no, from my point of view the goal is to play over 30 FPS or more realistically in the 25/35 FPS range .

The main problem with these AMD APU you can find at a low price is that something in their architecture is unfit for gaming in memory demanding games such as Arma3.

They are alright for office usage and multimedia,  and even for some games not too demanding.

At the budget level you are looking for, there are not many options.

In order to play you need a 4 cores or 2 core/4 threads CPU @ 3GHz.

Laptops in sale are often  featuring outdated or more or less obsolete hardware.

Due to RAM price level most of those laptops are released with soldered and not updatable 4 GB.

Let's remember you will need 6/8 GB to play.

Most of these laptops are "notebook" in slim and sexy chassis not built for gaming.

Having limited cooling capabilities they are susceptible to throttle.

You can play on a laptop, ... I know!

You can try to play Arma3 with the laptop you need and can afford.

Tell us about your own experience.

7 hours ago, FallujahMedic -FM- said:

Building upon what oldbear has mentioned, my backup machine is a laptop. It is a 2013 model year HP Envy,  i5 3230M 2 physical cores @2.60GHz, 12 GB RAM and an NVIDIA GT 740M graphics card. Its not the best but will run Arma decently on "Normal". It works fine for my purposes. You have to decide for yourself what's acceptable. 

Thanks for your help I'll just have to try it and see. At least if it doesn't work steam has a return option.

11 hours ago, FallujahMedic -FM- said:

I have an almost identical machine, built by Asus. Like you, I find it perfectly acceptable in 'normal'.

• Like 1

@ Crazyn1tw1t : I still believe that a laptop featuring an Intel i3/i5 is better for playing Arma3 than any AMD APU based one.

It's all related to the missing L3 memory cache in AMD APU/Athlon II while the Intel L3 was gaining pace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldbear said:

@ Crazyn1tw1t : I still believe that a laptop featuring an Intel i3/i5 is better for playing Arma3 than any AMD APU based one.

It's all related to the missing L3 memory cache in AMD APU/Athlon II while the Intel L3 was gaining pace.

Now comes the dilemma.

The only other laptop in my price range would be this.

https://ao.com/product/x540laxx980t-asus-laptop-black-52606-251.aspx?&WT.z_PT=Computing&WT.z_AT=Laptop&WT.z_MT=Search&WT.z_RTM=PLA&WT.z_MAT=Asus&WT.z_FT=Free Standing&WT.z_DT=m&WT.z_PC=X540LA-XX980T&WT.srch=1&WT.z_KW=X540LA-XX980T&WT.z_CN=Asus - X540LA-XX980T&WT.z_AG=Brand Type&WT.z_KW=X540LA-XX980T&gclid=CjwKCAiA78XTBRBiEiwAGv7EKnZNO7YsVXdrHb4fbNOQyUFsiG4pg9x-LPHxVKO5c94vpWa3UgYP5BoCDpQQAvD_BwE

The ram is only ddr3 but it has Intel hd5500 and an i3.

The only problem is i also want to play games with higher demanding graphics which is where the r4 card would come in helpful so I'm a bit unsure.

Yes, it's an old i3. Not nearly strong enough. Like I said before, you need to double your budget.