Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

Just now, lysan said:

I wanted to know the best system for Arma 3 SP/MP, however as I understand it, if you get the most efficient system for SP, you're also well equipped for MP.

The server side of things is not much I as a player can do much about anyway :)

Precisely but regarding servers, I don't quite agree: as a player you CAN choose servers that are well-administrated.

In fact it is your DUTY to avoid servers with poor performance, run by egostistical maniacs and money-grabbing thieves ;)

Just now, domokun said:

Precisely but regarding servers, I don't quite agree: as a player you CAN choose servers that are well-administrated.

In fact it is your DUTY to avoid servers with poor performance, run by egostistical maniacs and money-grabbing thieves ;)

Sure, I was more referring to the setup of the servers, other than being selective it's out of my control.

Having played FDF Mod in Operation Flashpoint for years is not helping me understanding Finnish but a picture is easier to understand ...

wFnhOtU.png

LGA 1151 & LGA 2011-3 - DDR4 2400 MHz (16-16-16-36 1N)

AM4 & LGA 2066 - DDR4-2666 MHz (16-16-16-36 1N)

AM4 - DDR4-3200 MHz (16-16-16-36 1N)

Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme

2× SSD Crucial M500 960 GB

Windows 10 Anniversary Update (1703, version 15063.296)

nVidia GeForce 378.92

Helicopters Showcase 1080p @ Ultra

oc_nv_arma3.png

In my opinion, for ArmA, LGA 1151 in form of 7700K is still king and will stay it at least till the arrival of 9th generation (Cannon Lake) i5/i7 processors with 6 cores and i3 processors with 4 cores (10 nm process).

8th generation (Coffee Lake) i5/i7 processors will only bring 2 more cores + i3 with 4 cores, which won't bring more performance in ArmA and the performance difference per core will be roughly the same (at same frequency) as it is already the case for 6th vs. 7th generation (considering 14 nm process).

LGA 2066 is not worth spending your money on it as well - more expensive mainboards and processors.

7740X @ 5.1 GHz delivers same FPS as 7700K @ 5.0 GHz

7900X @ 4.6 GHz delivers 3 FPS less than 5960X @ 4.5 GHz

7900X @ 4.6 GHz delivers 10 FPS less than 6900K @ 4.4 GHz

7900X @ 4.6 GHz delivers 14 FPS less than 6950X @ 4.3 GHz

0 FPS difference quad channel vs. dual channel RAM.

More PCI-E lanes for proper usage of M.2 SSDs without reducing PCI-E 16x to 8x for the graphic card as with LGA 1151 is also not justifing the purchase.

Because M.2 SSDs @ 3xxx MB/s write and 2xxx MB/s read speeds are not delivering:

- more FPS

- quicker boot time

- quicker server connection time

- quicker apps/games start time.

M.2 SSDs vs. SATA SSDs only considerably help to quickly move very large files or large amount of files.

You can search for results on YouTube and different very well known web sites to confirm my statements if needed.

Anyway if you decide to use a M.2 SSD on your LGA 1151 system, reducing PCI-E for graphic card from 16x to 8x due to M.2 SSD needing PCI-E 4x, it will cost you like 3 FPS at most.

For those having 4th generation processors like 4670K/4690K / 4770K/4790K @ 4.5-4.7 GHz with 2133/2400 MHz DDR3 RAM with good timings, don't worry to much, you're behind those 6th/7th generation processors (at same frequency) by only like 3-4 FPS average.

With watercooling you can also go past 4.5-4.7 GHz with 4th generation processors - same as for 6th/7th (providing you've spotted a good unit running at not that high voltage + delidded)

7gGcK3x.png

Difference between DDR3 RAM at 2133/2400 MHZ with good timings is almost none compared to DDR4 RAM at 3200/3600 MHz.

MvTFu4U.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/10/2017 at 4:00 PM, oldbear said:

Having played FDF Mod in Operation Flashpoint for years is not helping me understanding Finnish but a picture is easier to understand ...

wFnhOtU.png

Looks like the 7700K is still best comparing price/performance.

My aging 4960X OC 4.5 Mhz still gives me a solid 30 - 40 FPS in 4k with a GTX1080 but, I would like to build a pure gaming rig for games like Arma +more 

@lysan I will suggest you to wait a bit more before building a new rig and have a look at the upcoming  i7 8700K [6c/12t, 3.8/4.3 GHz, 12Mo L3] Intel is claiming a single core +11% surge over i7 7700K. If it's confirmed by independent sources it will be an interesting asset for gaming ... and work as well.

• Like 1

Indeed, I'm holding back my purchase of a Ryzen 7 1700 (for work in a 98%) to see how this coffee lake 6 cores thing behaves, ie, if there's no probs of overheat, or whatever compatibility issue, etc. Still, 8 cores/16t is better for me for 3D rendering, so, would be a decision of trust ( I trust intel; AMD, have no experience with the brand)  vs the clear advantage in video and 3D rendering of more cores at a just ok clock.... Still, right now for me, a complete tie. Obviously for gaming is all about the clock speed, but is a 2% of priority for me (don't take me wrong, I love playing).BTW, in the very low end, seen more tests with the g4560 and g4620, plus some of the i7 7100... is amazing how well served is the very low end (dirty cheap) in intel... Today I recommend basic users one of those without hesitation (ie: Office/Libre Office, casual gaming, browsing. But still even some good games if paired with a nice card (I tend to recommend the ti 1050 or 1060). The g4560 seems better in many matters than my arcane i7 860, still looses in heavily multithreaded tasks, obviously (8t better than 4))...3.5 and 3.7 mhz still worse than the 7100 3.9, among other things. But imo, very nice cheapo cpus.

I understand what coffee lake is and its main characteristics, and also ice lake, which seems is 10nm and does not come till 2019 or end of 2018. But am still confused with canon lake... Is mostly 10nm but only for laptops and similar devices ? If not... why do that category so close or overlapping with ice lake ? And then you have all the Xtreme "genealogy" , a bit of a mess, imho...Anyway, the 8 cores from skylake-x seems interesting (7820x), but like double the price of a ryzen 7, lol (not counting also with a more expensive mother board and no integrated card to make the purchase in several moments/chunks like u can do in mainstream intel). So, yeah, for graphic works, for me is almost a tie between the 6c coffee lake (to be shown this 21th ?) surely launched commercially in October, and the 8c Ryzen 7.  Anyone knows if it is true that the fact of having (Ryzen) the cores communicated by PCIe really slows down the machine or is somehow compensated ?

I have build a Ryzen3 1300X / RX 550 test rig.

It runs rather well, a bit better than the Pentium G-4560 / GTX 750Ti test rig built previously.

I had released my short the test on French CanardPC Forums Jouer à Arma3 avec un Ryzen3 - Le retour de la Force

Of course ... it's in French, I need some time to translate it before posting on the BI Forums.

Edited by oldbear
English is not my mother tongue

Not sure I understand this question ...

2 hours ago, 3D_vet said:

Anyone knows if it is true that the fact of having (Ryzen) the cores communicated by PCIe really slows down the machine or is somehow compensated ?

... from what I understand communication between cores ... stay inside the CPU, between cores inside a CCX and between CCXs ... PCIe not involved at any moment in the process.

It seems that communication inside the CPU is RAM frequency dependent, and there is a lot of issues since Ryzen release with DDR4 over 2100 Mhz.

Updated Bios featuring new AGESA have been released ... and we are waiting for the next one.

Coffee Lake is an intersting option for those who also do things other than just gaming.

Also think about the resale value for later, because I don't think that somebody will want to buy 4 cores from you in the future or you simply won't get much for it :-)

7KNQEMZ.jpg

+11% IPC performance per core are only due to:

4.7 GHz vs. 4.5 GHz boost on 1 core on i7-7700K

DDR4 2666 MHz vs. 2400 MHz official RAM support on i7-7700K

Cache per core is still the same - 2 MB per core.

Otherwise, Coffee Lake (i7-8700K) won't give you more than 2-3% IPC performance per core vs. i7-7700K at the same frequency and same RAM speed, which can be considered as none.

What is the best gaming rig possible to run Arma 3 at the highest FPS in SP/MP with no budget cap?  Please include CPU, # of GPUs, RAM, SSD, and especially max memory necessary.  No detailed explanation necessary, just the short answer is all I'm after here.  Great thread by the way, so informative on this amazing game that has brought me so much pain (mainly the FPS during multiplayer engagements, the most vital moment of the game).

I have the 7700k and a gtx 1080 and a pretty maxed out pc that I bought for "work" and gaming on it is so much fun, especially Arma 3.

Sorry to say that here, on this forum, you can't behave as a hurried US supermarket customer, you can't skip detailed explanations. Why ?

Because even with the best gaming rig there are no highest FPS in MP guarantee.

At the moment, here and now, from my point of view the best gaming rig in order to get the highest FPS level in SP is probably based upon ...

i7-7740X/GTX 1080Ti/ 16 Go DDR4-3200 MHz /SSD 500 Go M.2 NVMe

.. but, here come the necessary detailed explanations

- there is an upcoming (i7-8700K Coffee Lake) with a single core +11% surge over i7 7700K boasted by Intel

- highest FPS in MP depends on your connection, the quality of the server your are playing on ...and so on, nothing you can control!

Edited by oldbear
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, oldbear said:

Sorry to say that here, on this forum, you can't behave as a hurried US supermarket customer, you can't skip detailed explanations. Why ?

Because even with the best gaming rig there are no highest FPS in MP guarantee.

At the moment, here and now, from my point of view the best gaming rig in order to get the highest FPS level in SP is probably based upon ...

i7-7740X/GTX 1080Ti/ 16 Go DDR4-3200 MHz /SSD 500 Go M.2 NVMe

.. but, here come the necessary detailed explanations

- there is an upcoming (i7-8700K Coffee Lake) with a single core +11% surge over i7 7700K boasted by Intel

- highest FPS in MP depends on your connection, the quality of the server your are playing on ...and so on, nothing you can control!

Thanks oldbear for the answer.  That i7 8700k sounds awesome.  Do you know when it will hit the shelves?

Current Gaming PC:

asrock x79 extreme9

Core i7 4930K Processor: 6-Core i7 Ivy-E

4x ADK - DDR3 4G 1600 memory 1.35V (16Gb total)

2 EVGA FTW 1080 GPU SLI

Crucial - 480GB M500 SSD Hard Drive: 500 read MB/s / 400MB/s write

Do you see any bottlenecks or where i might be able to make a practical upgrade to enhance Arma 3 FPS?

The i7 4960X is not well fit to give a high performance level in Arma3.

Have a look at this chart from XbitLabs review of the Core i7-4960X Extreme Edition

aK0F3Bg.jpg

Nothing you can do unless you want to throw good money down the drain.

Edited by oldbear

4 minutes ago, oldbear said:

The i7 4960X is not well fit to give a high performance level in Arma3.

Have a look at this chart from XbitLabs review of the Core i7-4960X Extreme Edition

aK0F3Bg.jpg

Nothing you can do unless you want to throw good money down the drain.

Ok.  It looks like I'm waiting for the i7 8700K and doing a new build.

On 18/8/2017 at 8:17 PM, oldbear said:

Not sure I understand this question ...

... from what I understand communication between cores ... stay inside the CPU, between cores inside a CCX and between CCXs ... PCIe not involved at any moment in the process.

It seems that communication inside the CPU is RAM frequency dependent, and there is a lot of issues since Ryzen release with DDR4 over 2100 Mhz.

Updated Bios featuring new AGESA have been released ... and we are waiting for the next one.

Sorry my late reply, work makes me check forums not as fast as I would like... Then it was that I read something from someone in a reddit-like place who was not very well informed about the matter (neither I am, obviously  :dontgetit:). I had read about the memory issues, but quite some people say is fine now as most mother boards come with the bios updated, and anyway they recommend to check each motherboard specs to see what memory speed is recommended. Also,a lot advice g-skill memory for ryzens, dunno why. Also, that a 2400MHZ memory is safe now for the ryzens... I will not overclock anything (kind of prefer not to) whether is memory or cpu. (anyway, lately very tempted too by the new main stream six core from intel)

I have build a Ryzen3 1300X / RX 550 test rig.

It runs rather well, a bit better than the Pentium G-4560 / GTX 750Ti test rig built previously.

I had released my short the test on French CanardPC Forums Jouer à Arma3 avec un Ryzen3 - Le retour de la Force

Of course ... it's in French, I need some time to translate it before posting on the BI Forums.

That is very interesting data. I don't know why, I was expecting a rig like that to run worse than the G4560...

18 cores the top i9 , 16 cores amd's threadripper... this looks like the space war... yet though, there wins amd for the not-rich Joe...in my region, already the intel 10 cores is priced like the 16 cores from AMD...

In fact August 21, 2017 has only seen the launch of so called 8th Gen Intel Core Processor Family and mobile processors announcement.

No more info so far about i7 8700k launch date

Thanks all for the great thread.  Looks like coffee lake desktop announcement will be out in October.  So we will see the 8700k in nov-dec.  Personally I am on the fence on waiting for the 8700k.  I am currently using a 3570k with a 1080ti.  Been waiting ages for coffee lake but really don't see the point.  

All I do is play arma.  No 3d stuff only word and check email . 

I really am considering just getting a 7740X.  Seems to me that the 8700k will not overclock as well (hit 5.3 on single core) and from what I understand arma loves single core performance.  The 8700k will have minimal IPC improvement as groove c pointed out. What do I need those 2 extra cores for?

People say its a waste to go socket 2066 but gigabyte has a board just for kaby-x.  Do you guys think 8700k will be worth the wait?