Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

Hey guys,

I would like to buy this notebook: https://www.czc.cz/dell-inspiron-15-gaming-7566-cerna_3/200715/produkt

Dell Inspiron 15 (7566)

1072 EUR / 1140 USD / 29 000 CZK

Intel Core i7-6700HQ (2.6GHz, TB 3.5GHz, HyperThreading)

16GB RAM DDR4

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5;

128GB SSD & 1TB HDD;

I wonder if it is good enough (at least 30+ fps on medium / high settings) because I am afraid of ARMA 3  performance on notebooks.

Also I hope that 128 GB SSD is enough for ARMA 3.

I am a little bit worried about that graphic card (9XX serie) because someone told me that nowadays I should buy 1XXX series.

I am not sure about that CPU cause it may be performing worse than desktop CPU.

If anybody knows about better notebook let me know - it seems like this notebook is overpriced.

Any ideas?

Hey guys,

I would like to buy this notebook: https://www.czc.cz/dell-inspiron-15-gaming-7566-cerna_3/200715/produkt

Dell Inspiron 15 (7566)

1072 EUR / 1140 USD / 29 000 CZK

Intel Core i7-6700HQ (2.6GHz, TB 3.5GHz, HyperThreading)

16GB RAM DDR4

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5;

128GB SSD & 1TB HDD;

I wonder if it is good enough (at least 30+ fps on medium / high settings) because I am afraid of ARMA 3  performance on notebooks.

Also I hope that 128 GB SSD is enough for ARMA 3.

I am a little bit worried about that graphic card (9XX serie) because someone told me that nowadays I should buy 1XXX series.

I am not sure about that CPU cause it may be performing worse than desktop CPU.

If anybody knows about better notebook let me know - it seems like this notebook is overpriced.

Any ideas?

Good advice. So get yourself a laptop with a GTX 1060 (1070 & 1080 are faster but much more expensive).

Yes that laptop seems somewhat expensive (€1050) considering it runs NIVIDIA's previous generation of GPU but the rest of the specs look good.

Here are some laptops that offer GTX 1060 at a similar price  (in France at least):

• Asus ROG GL102VM-GC004D @ €1150
  • MSI GE62VR 6RF-221XFR @ €1080
  • HP Omen 17-W104NF @ €1280
So check the prices of those locally
Beware that in some cases, you may need to add an OS.

https://www.dealabs.com/search/?q=1060&look_where=title&temperature_min=100&price_min=800

So is that CPU solid? I have seen here that if I want good performance I should have i5 & 4.0 + GHz :-(

So is that CPU solid? I have seen here that if I want good performance I should have i5 & 4.0 + GHz :-(

It's pretty much the fastest CPU you can get on a laptop.

Combined with a GTX 1060, I reckon that you could expect 40-50 fps at 1080p @ Ultra.

So if you're looking for the fabled 60 fps you might want to drop from the Ultra preset to the Very High or even High preset.

But you're right, ideally you want 3.5+, better 4.0+ GHz to get 60+ fps, especially in MP.

So if you want good performance in A3, I would avoid a decent laptop and buy a decent desktop: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/tBkqbj

Hey guys, so I'm building a new machine, my current one is just about dead. Lemme know if this is any good or if I should change something:

-GTX 1080

-Skylake i5 6600k(3.7GHz)

-Z170 Gaming Pro

-16 GB RAM at 2133

-750W PSU

-128GB SSD and 4TB HDD

Regards,

The WilCo.

3 hours ago, DenyWilCo said:

Hey guys, so I'm building a new machine, my current one is just about dead. Lemme know if this is any good or if I should change something:

-GTX 1080

-Z170 Gaming Pro

-16 GB RAM at 2133

-750W PSU

-128GB SSD and 4TB HDD

Regards,

The WilCo.

Replace your GTX 1080 with 1070 so you can (using the 200€ you just saved):

1. upgrade that 16GB DDR4-2133 with DDR4-3000 (+10€)

2. get a decent HSF, e.g. CM Hyper 2112 Evo (+€35) to overclock that 6600k as she'll 4.3 defo, 4.4 easy, 4.5 prolly, 4.6 maybe & 4.7 if you're lucky

3. get a TrackIR 5 Pro (180€)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DenyWilCo said:

-128GB SSD and 4TB HDD

Of course, you can get the HDD the size you want but a 128Go SSD is rather too small.

256 Go is a minimum, so you can get Windows 64bits and the main games you are playing or those needing such fast disk.

ATM, on my own "System & Arma" Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, (C:) SSD 145 Go are still free.

Steam Library alone is weighting 124 Go with Arma3, Insurgency2, Civ 5&6 and Rome:Total War.

Of course, playing CUP and the Unsung is adding some load ...

All "Documents" are hosted on a (D:) SSHD 1 To.

• Like 1

Good point by old Bear. So junk that 128 GB SSD and go for something MUCH bigger.

The reason is that you'll get best performance for Arma 3 if the OS and A3 are stored on the same SSD.

If your budget is tight, drop the TIR5 Pro and use that money to upgrade the SSD from 128 to 240+, better 480+ GB.

Currently the MX300 from Crucial seems to offer the best value for money.

15 hours ago, DenyWilCo said:

-GTX 1080

-Z170 Gaming Pro

-16 GB RAM at 2133

-750W PSU

-128GB SSD and 4TB HDD

Regards,

The WilCo.

I'd get a decent 500-650 modular psu. 

Perhaps something like.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B018C5MOJO/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1482231428&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=fsp+modular&dpPl=1&dpID=51mE5fyQvNL&ref=plSrch

Get a bigger SSD  and put both the OS and ARMA on it. All other games on the  HDD. Get the FASTEST ram you can buy and OC the cpu because ARMA is based on cpu calculations and how fast it can pull assets from and to ram. I suggest DDR4-3000 or faster. That is the best you can do for ARMA.

The GPU can be scaled to your screen resolution. I think a Geforce 1060 6 GB is enough for 1920x1080, while a 1070 for 2560x1440 and 1080 or faster for 4K at ultra settings.

Don't skimp out and buy those cheaper GPU with less ram as it affects your draw distance.

Agreed reference ssd. I'm on my third ssd, not because they wore out or failed, but because they filled up!

I have 2 SSD now! 240 GB for OS and ARMA 2, and a 1 TB SSD for ARMA 3 + mods. Friend works at Intel. :P

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if its worth upgrading my graphics card to get some extra frames (or at least keep same frames but much better looking).

I've got a i7-3770 CPU @3.4 GHz processor, 8GB of ram and a GT640 graphics card, with WIn10.

Heres the 640 specs (I have the one on the left):

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt640/specifications

And i'm thinking of getting the GTX1050 Ti as it has a similar power requirement to my current card and would save me buying a new one. I can probably stick more RAM in too if that might help (I think another 8GB will fit).

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1050/

In fact there are many GT 640 versions, mostly sold with OEM built PCs for office job and/or multimedia.

But overall this GPU is not for gaming, powered only by the PCIe slot it don't need extra PCI electric connector.

So you must first have a look at your PSU, if it is in the 300/350 W, you already know you must get a new GPU without extra power supply.

Such as some RX 460 and GTX 750/1050 and some of the  GTX 1050 Ti.

You must have look on the specs ...

40 minutes ago, oldbear said:

In fact there are many GT 640 versions, mostly sold with OEM built PCs for office job and/or multimedia.

But overall this GPU is not for gaming, powered only by the PCIe slot it don't need extra PCI electric connector.

So you must first have a look at your PSU, if it is in the 300/350 W, you already know you must get a new GPU without extra power supply.

Such as some RX 460 and GTX 750/1050 and some of the  GTX 1050 Ti.

You must have look on the specs ...

Yes. I had a look at the 1050ti (that's what I've linked). I'll probably get my pc apart the weekend. If needs be i'll buy a bigger power supply (a 450 or 500w) as it ain't that much and see if I can get to a 1060 or something.

Indeed, according to Wikipedia, a GT640 has a TDP of 50-75W:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_600_series

According to Wikipedia, the highest speed GTX 10 with a similar TDP is a GTX 1050 Ti with a TDP of 75W.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_10_series

However, I don't think that will offer a significant increase in performance because jumping 1 generation to another without changing product range (entry, mid-range, enthusiastic, high performance).

So if you want a significant increase in performance, you'll not only increase by 1 generation but you also need to go up a range, e.g. entry to mid-range.

Therefore I'd check your PC's PSU.

Provided its 350W or more, a GTX 1060 should be fine even with it's TDP of 120W.

To be honest, I'd buy a GTX 1060 from a reputable site (Amazon?), insert it into your PC and then run some stressful benchmarks (3DMark, Furmark & YAAB). If, heaven forbid, our PC crashes then simply send the 1060 back.

PS how much RAM and what speed is it?

Well, after reading your initial post, I was under the feeling you were looking for a minimal investment.

Only from a rather non-existent gaming GPU to a playable one.

It seems, it's not the case !

If you are ready to spend some real money, you can jump to a nice gaming experience level.

ATM, the GTX 1060 6 Go is the one to have in order to get a nice full Arma3 gaming experience.

But in the same time, you will have to upgrade your PSU and get a Premium one (please, not a cheap "no name" thing).

Hello every one. can anyone help me?

I Played Arma 3 since its release on the GTX 580.
It was always good. After the recent updates graphics Single player and multiplayer is always 45-70 FPS at Tanoa 32-40fps in the jungle.

A few days ago I have put GTX 780 TI instead of the old GTX 580.
This gave the FPS boost in the single everywhere fps 70-150, 50-80 in the jungle.

Then I go to the server where it is always spend time. And we will see 25-30 fps, and the change does not affective ...
Who encountered such as treated?

Other computer hardware:
i5 3470 on 4.20 g
16 Gig of RAM  1800 g
SSD
W10-64 bit

The server cpu is slower than your system and ARMA syncs both clients and server to roughly around the same FPS. Nothing you can do except goto another server. You can test this just by changing to another server with less people or closer to your network and you will see better performance.

I play on servers about 6000 miles away with no issues yet can lag out even if someone starts a COOP game locally close to me.

@ seeplay : there is nothing we can do to help you and there is probably nothing you can do on your own PC, sorry  ... :down:

"Why are my FPS so low  in MP?"

I will try to bring in in my poor own lights on the subject ...

- Factors related to Arma * Real Virtuality Engine itself

•     The RV Engine was not designed for massive MP with servers up to 60 players. Its special design created 10 years ago to have the simulation in MP as precise as possible with a lot less load is the cause that a significant part of the resources is devoted to the synchronization with the server.
  •     The IA in Arma is extremely sophisticated, probably one of the best in the market, its resources costs are very high especially in MP.

- External factors that do not depend on Arma *

•     The use during a game session of resources consuming programs [CPU, RAM, Network], such as  browsers [Firefox, Edge, Chrome etc ...], such as the so-called social things[ Facebook, Twitter etc ...) as well as Skype and even Overwolf. To play Arma3 in MP, only launch Arma3 and the comm software [TeamSpeak, Mumble or equivalent].
  •     Your own connection, wall connectors, DSL filter, cable, box, connection to the box.  A poor quality shared WiFi connection can kill your server sync
  •     Hosting and connection to server. A Pro Host service hosting the Arma3 server on a dedicated state of the art machine [CPU,RAM and Disk] connected to Internet by cable or optical fiber will necessarily have better performances than a server "House" hosted on a makeshift server on home rig  with an DSL connection even at a good level due to of the asymmetrical connection.
  •     The objects, scripts and other mods more or less tinkered added to islands and missions. When a "Mod" builds a city on Stratis Airport, do not be surprised to have FPS on the crappy level. It is this last point that is making some  "* -life" or other popular Mods servers FPS killers.

Alright, thanks to everyone who replied, sorry it took me a while to respond. At this time I've changed my setup to this:

-GTX 1060 6GB(I've got a 1920x1080 , I think it should be good enough)

-Skylake i5 6600k(3.7GHz, plan on OCing that)

-Z170 Gaming Pro

-16 GB RAM at 3000

-730W PSU

-256GB SSD and 2TB HDD

-Thermaltake CPU Cooler

For the record I'm looking for playing at Medium-High settings, since my budget is about 2500BAM(1750Euros)

Thanks in advance,

The WilCo.

Recently i wanted to know what system resources were being used with Arma3.  Using MSI afterburner i had the OSD running and noticed that my CPU was running about 25-35% and graphics was only about 60-70%.  

My rig:

Intel 4790K @ 4.6Ghz

2 x 980Ti's (SLI) OC'd

Monitor Resolution 1440P

You would think this game would scale better and try to use as many resources as it could with each system.

Note this is on Multiplayer servers (king of the hill).

Edited by Duck1200

@ DenyWilCo : the GTX 1060 6GB is great, as with this graphic card you can play without much limitations, my own advice is to play at the highest setting allowed.

On my own "gaming rig" based on i7-4790 / GTX 120 6 GB / 16 Go 1866Mhz / Samsung 500 SSD it looks like that :

aFrcjZR.jpg

With your upcoming rig ,you can play on "Ultra/Very High" settings.

@ Duck1200 : hi! So what's the point ?

I am getting 100% CPU usage on the 2 cores and 100% GPU usage on a Pentium G4500/HD 7700 test rig

I am getting 60/80 % CPU usage on the 2 cores/4 threads and 60 to 100% GPU usage on a i3-6100/GTX 750Ti  test rig

In order to play Arma3 at the highest ATM, you need the most powerful, efficient & fast quad core you can get, a great GPU one of your GTX 980Ti is enough, the fastest RAM your money can get and the fastest SSD not throttling but there will be no miracle ... the RV Engine has its well known limitations  and even if the ageing engine is doing incredible well it has its short-comings (which is why a new Enfusion engine is in development).

1 hour ago, oldbear said:

@ DenyWilCo : the GTX 1060 6GB is great, as with this graphic card you can play without much limitations, my own advice is to play at the highest setting allowed.

On my own "gaming rig" based on i7-4790 / GTX 120 6 GB / 16 Go 1866Mhz / Samsung 500 SSD it looks like that :

aFrcjZR.jpg

With your upcoming rig ,you can play on "Ultra/Very High" settings.

@ Duck1200 : hi! So what's the point ?

I am getting 100% CPU usage on the 2 cores and 100% GPU usage on a Pentium G4500/HD 7700 test rig

I am getting 60/80 % CPU usage on the 2 cores/4 threads and 60 to 100% GPU usage on a i3-6100/GTX 750Ti  test rig

In order to play Arma3 at the highest ATM, you need the most powerful, efficient & fast quad core you can get, a great GPU one of your GTX 980Ti is enough, the fastest RAM your money can get and the fastest SSD not throttling but there will be no miracle ... the RV Engine has its well known limitations  and even if the ageing engine is doing incredible well it has its short-comings (which is why a new Enfusion engine is in development).

Well,

I guess not point really i just know sometimes the frames get into the 20's depending on where i'm at on the map...  I also run an SSD and i have 2400 MHZ memory.

Alright, thanks oldbear. Time to waste some money and not eat for two months(yay)