Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

If you want to play Arma 3 with acceptable FPS go for Intel processor i5 or i7 K version.

If you want to play Arma 3 with acceptable FPS go for Intel processor i5 or i7 K version.

Yeah, Intel seems to be the popular choice. According to what I've read, I should probably worry more about that CPU, than I do the GPU. In regards to Arma anyway. Does it matter if too much if you mix an intel CPU with an AMD GPU? Sorry if it's a silly question, just wondering if there are benefits either way.

Do what Niki says and you can be forgiven for buying a card other than nvidia.

Tho if you do buy said other card, be warned, few will understand any problems you may find.

Tho some of my best friends have amd cards, my eyes glaze over anytime they speak of them.

Good Luck with your K series intel cpu.

Does it matter if too much if you mix an intel CPU with an AMD GPU?

Beyond nVidia exclusive features like Shadowplay, no.

Y70 TOUCH

Processor:4th Generation Intel Core i7-4720HQ Processor (2.60GHz 1600MHz 6MB)

Operating system:Windows 8.1 64 Bit

Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M GDDR5 4GB

Memory:16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L 1600 MHz

Display:17.3" FHD LED AntiGlare Multitouch with integrated camera (1920x1080)

Pointing device:ClickPad

Hard Drive:512GB SATA SSD

Battery:4 Cell 54 Watt Hour Li-Polymer

Network Card:Lenovo AC Wireless (2x2)

Bluetooth:Bluetooth Version 4.0

Operating System Language:EN:English

RAM:SODIMM

Optical Drive:None

So will this laptop "Y70 Touch" be able to run Arma 3 well I am really green to PC gaming so i need help, form comparing stats it looks ok but I could use a Pro's option. My main concern figuring i am doing this once is this will be able to run it a Medium+ graphics and not have much lag ruining game play.

Anyone have an Idea how arma will run when the system and game is updated/supported by Win 10?

Edited by Hunter6003

Do what Niki says and you can be forgiven for buying a card other than nvidia.

Tho if you do buy said other card, be warned, few will understand any problems you may find.

Tho some of my best friends have amd cards, my eyes glaze over anytime they speak of them.

Good Luck with your K series intel cpu.

Ok, you guys have me convinced on intel. Now have read that there is no noticeable difference between an i5/i7 for gaming. Is this true? I don't plan on streaming or video editing. Also, will I need a Z97 mobo? I believe they can be overclocked, if I ever feel the need to that.

One more thing. Is it true that there are issues running two cards in SLI? That might make my decision a little easier. Was thinking of eventually running two gtx960's. Or maybe just get one gtx970.

[...] updated/supported by Win 10?

It's running fine on the TP, without significant performance changes. ((Generally, unless the application in question is a driver, or really old, it's going to work.))

Y70 TOUCH

Notebook+Arma3 is not exactly what I'd recommend, but if 'notebook' is a must have for you, the Y70 is a top competitor and will run the game fine (just a lot worse than a similarily priced tower).

Battery:4 Cell 54 Watt Hour Li-Polymer

54Wh? That's like 20 minutes under load.

RAM:SODIMM

Geesh, that shop deserves punishment.

Is this true?

For gaming in general: yes.

However, like in many other places, Arma is a exception here, the game will benefit from every last Hertz you pull out of your (Intel-) CPU.

Ok, you guys have me convinced on intel. Now have read that there is no noticeable difference between an i5/i7 for gaming. Is this true? I don't plan on streaming or video editing. Also, will I need a Z97 mobo? I believe they can be overclocked, if I ever feel the need to that.

One more thing. Is it true that there are issues running two cards in SLI? That might make my decision a little easier. Was thinking of eventually running two gtx960's. Or maybe just get one gtx970.

The i5 chip is fine for gaming.

The "K" series chips are unlocked for overclocking. A good motherboard & an after-market heat-sink helps with overclocking.

Look for high speed RAM too.

SLI? Don't know, but one card is fine for arma.

Good luck.

The i5 chip is fine for gaming.

The "K" series chips are unlocked for overclocking. A good motherboard & an after-market heat-sink helps with overclocking.

Look for high speed RAM too.

SLI? Don't know, but one card is fine for arma.

Good luck.

Would I need to OC the i5 to achieve similar results to a stock i7?

Hi everbody :),

First of all, I'd like to apologize if I put this message in a wrong section. I'd scoured the forums and I thought this thread to be the best to ask my question.

The question is that I'm planning to buy a new rig to chiefly play ArmA 3. I've done some research that, sad to say, left me in two minds about which CPU I should go for. A friend of mine recommended me to buy AMD FX-8370, which strikes me as a way to go, but from what I've read, many AMD-users struggle with low fps both in MP and SP. Is there somebody using this particular CPU who would share his experience in ArmA 3 ? I would be very much grateful for any of your takes on this. :)

Would I need to OC the i5 to achieve similar results to a stock i7?

Depends on the chips being compared. Quite afew sites get into close comparisons using benchmarks.

All the new 'K' series i5s will run this game stock ..., a good price point to consider.

Overclocking is a good thing going forward, tho a good chip won't need an oc out of the box.

Was looking at the i5-4670K --3.4ghz..., turbo to 3.8ghz, not a bad price point, if that matters.

Edited by Ratszo

Depends on the chips being compared. Quite afew sites get into close comparisons using benchmarks.

All the new 'K' series i5s will run this game stock ..., a good price point to consider.

Overclocking is a good thing going forward, tho a good chip won't need an oc out of the box.

Was looking at the i5-4670K --3.4ghz..., turbo to 3.8ghz, not a bad price point, if that matters.

Yeah, i5-4670k is what I was looking to buy. Thought I could use money saved on that to buy a gtx970, rather than a 960. Thanks for your help!

Honestly, an AMD FX series CPU 6300 and up can run this game just fine too. Obviously, the faster the clocks, the better but, the AMD chips are still decent gaming chips for the money. I wish I still had my 8120 when I run a TADST server and the game on my rig at the same time. My 4770k just cant handle some of the mods on the server mission.

Honestly, an AMD FX series CPU 6300 and up can run this game just fine too. Obviously, the faster the clocks, the better but, the AMD chips are still decent gaming chips for the money. I wish I still had my 8120 when I run a TADST server and the game on my rig at the same time. My 4770k just cant handle some of the mods on the server mission.

Thank you for your opinion :)

Define "fine".

My FX6300@4.4GHz not even close to provide a "fine" perofrmance in this game.

I order to play Arma3, I will lay the FX 8370 aside and in this cost range I will go to an i5 4590.

I have build a "i5 4590/GTX 760 mini" miniITX rig for my oldest son and the thing is flying really high.

In order to play Arma3, you don't need a high end graphic card, a GTX 960 is quite enough to play at the Ultra/Very High level needed to enjoy the game [i am also testing Arma3 on an "Athlon II x2 250/GS450" rig ... so I can tell!]

But you need the most effective CPU you can afford, from my point of view the best one atm is the i7-4790K [i know ... young son is playing Arma3 on it].

Let have a look here to get a crude view of CPU hierarchy related to Arma3 : http://www.noelshack.com/2014-40-1412423541-arma3-haswell-e.png

(source:http://www.comptoir-hardware.com/articles/cpu-mobo-ram/26089-test-intel-x99-et-core-i7-5960x.html?start=13)

Define "fine".

My FX6300@4.4GHz not even close to provide a "fine" perofrmance in this game.

Paired with What GPU and at what graphical settings? My 8120 ran just fine with a modest OC to 4GHz High settings paired with a 7970 and SSD.

Paired with What GPU and at what graphical settings? My 8120 ran just fine with a modest OC to 4GHz High settings paired with a 7970 and SSD.

Do you like hot beer? Thats how "fine" a shooter with ~30 frames.

Do you like hot beer? Thats how "fine" a shooter with ~30 frames.

I was in the high 40s low 50s.

I was in the high 40s low 50s.

I would be glad, if an FX could provide that performance all the time.

Its cant hold even 30 fps just in the campaign. Its doesnt matter if its a 6xxx or a 8xxx chip neither how high the clock speed.

I would be glad, if an FX could provide that performance all the time.

Its cant hold even 30 fps just in the campaign. Its doesnt matter if its a 6xxx or a 8xxx chip neither how high the clock speed.

paired with what GPU? on Air or Water? With what speed RAM? My RAM was 2133mhz. With or without SSD? Is the SSD SATAII or SATAIII?

paired with what GPU? on Air or Water? With what speed RAM? My RAM was 2133mhz. With or without SSD? Is the SSD SATAII or SATAIII?

None of them matters.

http://i.imgur.com/F3IQGBP.jpg

CPU 4.5GHz, 2GHz ram, GTX 760 OC, Sata 3 SSD

Yes, its can go that low (campaign- preventive diplomacy). Marksman showcase: avarage 60+, Combined arms showcase: 30-40 once on the ground.