Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

Listen, you don't know what you're talking about, do some research before you spout anymore FUD.

There was a time when laptops were not a good choice for gaming, that time is long past.

Gaming laptops from Alienware, MSI, ASUS etc have very effective integrated cooling (even with tandem GPUs).

Most guys don't come here with their $4,000 dollar gaming laptop:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-gt80-titan-sli-i7-cf-105242.htm

The cooling solution for my desktop is a 14" fan blowing into the case....

Most guys don't come here with their $4,000 dollar gaming laptop:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-gt80-titan-sli-i7-cf-105242.htm

The cooling solution for my desktop is a 14" fan blowing into the case....

Like I said, I used an extreme example, there are plenty of affordable examples that work just as well.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-gt70-dominator-i7-4710mq-53-102703-1611.htm

You can side with the guy who claims 'laptops are not for gaming' but you'll be just as wrong as he is ;)

As an aside, I'm running 3 GTX 980s (on air) and a 5960X and I don't need a 14" fan blowing into my case, even when it's warm.

Edited by BangTail

Im going to pick answer #3 -- "Gaming laptops are good for gaming.".

But really, it all come's down to specs --and in arma cpu power trumps all.

Nobody's gonna say a guy's 4.2Ghz laptop ain't gonna run arma. --overheating is not in the metric.

I also got to clean the cat-hair off my cpu's heatsink 4-5 times a year ..., just part of being a gamer..., with cats.

This thread is for guys wondering if their 'puter will run this game. It's not for gamers with monster gear --unless they just wanna dangle their thing.

Nobody's gonna say a guy's 4.2Ghz laptop ain't gonna run arma. --overheating is not in the metric.

I also got to clean the cat-hair off my cpu's heatsink 4-5 times a year ..., just part of being a gamer..., with cats.

This thread is for guys wondering if their 'puter will run this game. It's not for gamers with monster gear --unless they just wanna dangle their thing.

I think you've missed the point, it isn't an epeen thing, it's just a simple case of facts vs FUD.

Obviously, a $500.00 bestbuy laptop with integrated graphics will not fair well in most modern games but you certainly do not have to spend 4K to play games on a laptop, as I have pointed out twice now, my original example was extreme and again, in response to a blanket statement that has absolutely no basis in fact.

and JFYI, that's exactly what he said, unequivocally:

this is a laptop? am i right? laptops are NOT for gaming. and thats all.

Again, it's got nothing to do with 'dangling one's thing'; as you correctly said, people come here for info and what he is alleging is categorically wrong.

There are gaming laptops that run from ~$1000.00 (and up) that will handle today's games at varying levels of detail/resolution with absolutely no problem, it's a fact, not a debate.

Edited by BangTail

Two important things you raise here.

Firstly, gaming and cats clearly don't mix.

Secondly, this thread is almost exclusively populated with two types of questioning users; Some, hoping against hope their 4 year old dual core Athlon will be good for this game when they overclock it to 1.9 Ghz and the other type - the willy wavers - who rock up with PC's worth half a years salary asking coyly, 'will this run the game on medium?'

Lot's of people play this game on laptops. I'd say it's very common. That's not gonna change.

Think we see more laptop users needing trouble-shooting here because of low specs & power usage setting found on many laptops.

Thing 'bout overheating, not much can be done with a laptop, 'cept maybe sent it to a shop for cleaning.

--or place it on a bag of ice while playing?

I'd say most hardcore gamers know their way around a desktop just by cleaning & swapping parts as they upgrade.

Had a guy last year in troubleshooting wondering why his Alienware laptop barely ran arma3 --It's an Alienware right?

Right, but an Alienware laptop from 2008....

From a troubleshooting point-of-view, laptop or desktop matters little. Tho the fixes on a desktop may mean a new part, not a new rig like a laptop.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

Firstly, gaming and cats clearly don't mix.

'

They say that about vodka & gaming too --yet our east european friends can't all be wrong.

They say that about vodka & gaming too --yet our east european friends can't all be wrong.

Vodka and gaming mix just fine ;)

Productive gaming and Vodka, maybe not so much :drinking:

Vodka and gaming mix just fine ;)

First sensible thing you've said all day! :)

Listen, you don't know what you're talking about, do some research before you spout anymore FUD.

There was a time when laptops were not a good choice for gaming, that time is long past.

Gaming laptops from Alienware, MSI, ASUS etc have very effective integrated cooling (even with tandem GPUs).

They are designed for high end gaming over long periods of time.

spend 2000 dollars ina laptop and you´ll be fine

spend 800 in a desktop and you´ll be better

thats all

[...] you´ll be better

Notebooks are portable - that's why they're bought.

That feature is expensive for gaming and only goes to a certain level of performance, but it's still viable.

spend 2000 dollars ina laptop and you´ll be fine

spend 800 in a desktop and you´ll be better

thats all

I was just pointing out that laptops are a viable alternative to desktops these days where gaming is concerned, although I'll freely admit that desktops still have the upper hand.

All good at any rate bud :)

Edited by BangTail

I was just pointing out that laptops are a viable alternative to desktops these days where gaming is concerned, although I'll freely admit that desktops still have the upper hand.

All good at any rate bud :)

but, for sure, if i had a lot of money i would buy a 4000$ laptop :bounce3:

i want to know if my system can run arma 3?

specs:

Graphic card:AMD Radeon HD 7480D

CPU:AMD A4-5300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 3.40 GHz (2 cores)

RAM 4gb (2.21) usable

windows 7 ultimate 32 bits.

please respond.

specs:

Graphic card:AMD Radeon HD 7480D

CPU:AMD A4-5300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 3.40 GHz (2 cores)

RAM 4gb (2.21) usable

windows 7 ultimate 32 bits.

please respond.

Looks ok, be modest with view/object distance in-game, sure.

32-bit on win7 eats alot of ram..., 64-bit, more ram, works better for games like arma3.

Good luck!

Not really, it's going to struggle an all fronts :(

Looks ok, be modest with view/object distance in-game, sure.

32-bit on win7 eats alot of ram..., 64-bit, more ram, works better for games like arma3.

Good luck!

thanks man only problem is i dont have windows 7 64 bits.

and also i dont know how to activate all my ram cuz windows sais i only have 2.21 gb available out of 4gb.

EDIT: i managed to install windows 64 bit i now have 3.19 GB RAM available instead of 2.21 out of 4GB

Edited by Joey1993

and also i dont know how to activate all my ram cuz windows sais i only have 2.21 gb available out of 4gb.

Your system is enough to run the game...with horrible performance.

Yeah, that's the thing, you only got 2.21gb 'cause win7 ate the rest booting-up. 2.21 + 1.79 = 4gb ram.

I got 64-bit with 8gigs ram --that's what you'd want to upgrade to for 64-bit. 8 - 2 = 6gb free for gaming.

Windows 7 keys are not architecture specific - get a x64 iso either from your friends/family or from Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery), and reinstall your Windows.

((Even without a RAM upgrade only ~3.5GB are useable with a 32bit OS.))

As for your initial question:

Yes your rig will run Arma 3, though I doubt you'll enjoy the horrible performance largely thanks to your CPU.

and what if i run it on low/med settings i thought my cpu should be good enough

BTW i have 3.19 RAM now cuz i installed win 7 64 bit

BTW i have 3.19 RAM now cuz i installed win 7 64 bit

Yep, ~800MB is what Windows 7 uses OOB, not much room for optimization here.

and what if i run it on low/med settings i thought my cpu should be good enough

Nope - AMD 2-core and ARMA3 just don't mix.

dam i really wanted to play arma 3 epoch mod

I'll run, low setting, low view distance.