Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

i looking at buying this custom pc setup....will this be good enough to play arma on ultra settings ???

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz 6x Core CPU

Gigabyte S2011-3 ATX GA-X99-Gaming 5 Motherboard

DDR4 16GB (4x4G) 2400MHz Kingston HyperX Predator RAM

NVIDIA GTX970 4GB MSI OC PCIe Gaming Video Card

Better to buy the i7 4790K , much better for Arma 3 and easier to overclock in the future.

I am running I5 and geting better fps then when i was runing same in I7...

dont think arma can use all cores so a wast of monye

i looking at buying this custom pc setup....will this be good enough to play arma on ultra settings ???

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz 6x Core CPU

Gigabyte S2011-3 ATX GA-X99-Gaming 5 Motherboard

DDR4 16GB (4x4G) 2400MHz Kingston HyperX Predator RAM

NVIDIA GTX970 4GB MSI OC PCIe Gaming Video Card

To be clear: 6 core will have absolutely NO advantage over 4 core.

ARMA does NOT recognize more than 4 cores.

Clock speed is more important.

Match Ram speed to max BUS speed. (No point having super fast ram that has to run slower)

Multiplayer is still bottlenecked by (poor) net code so no matter how powerful your system is it will not play as smoothly as single player.

Edited by EDcase

Please i'm desperate, i've just installed Windoes 8.1 and my fps from the 80 in the lobby are 5 in the lobby!!!!!!! Why?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? As startup parameter i have: (my computer is a quad-core with 8 GB RAM)

-maxMem=7500

-maxvram=1024

-skipintro

-high

-malloc=tbbmalloc

-noPause

-cpuCount=4

-exThreads=7

-enableHT

-nosplash

-nologs

I tried to set off all the parameters but i have already 4/5 fps!

What's wrong?!?!! Before updating in the lobby of the game i had 80 fps now 5/6

Edited by TrapMacker

Try with these params only:

-nosplash -nologs -skipintro -world=empty

Don't worry what fps you get in the menu. (It may be capped to stop the GPU overheating)

Try a SP mission if you can remember what it was before.

Also make a copy somewhere then delete your startup file.

Edited by EDcase

Ok i talked to my dad and we decided to buy a new CPU because a new computer is too expensive, here are my specs:

-CPU: Quad-Core AMD Phenom II N930 @ 2000 MHz 2.00 GHz

-GPU: AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1 GB

-motherboard: Acer JV51_DN

-RAM: 8192 MB DDR3-SDRAM

-System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit

-Chipset: AMD 785GX

I want to buy a new CPU, this CPU has to:

-be compatible with my others specs

-give me medium/good fps on arma3

-cost max 200€

So i'm asking here because i wish you could suggest me some CPU with the characteristics i've just listed. If you can post with the CPU a reference link please. Thank You!

Are you still using a laptop? You won't really be able to upgrade to anything that will play arma3!

edit: as far as I'm aware, after doing 5 minutes research the absolute fastest processor you can physically fit into the motherboard socket with the same 35w TDP is a Phenom II N970 which is a 2.2ghz quad core, if you push the TDP up to 45w (which risks then burning out the powersupply and/or motherboard if it's not been designed to run it) you could theoretically fit a Phenom II X940 BE which is a 2.4ghz quad core. Note that the laptop versions of the phenom processors do not have any turbo functionality or L3 cache which is probably why it performs so badly.

You will not be able to play arma3 on your laptop, upgrade or not!

Edited by forteh

i7-4510U GT730M

Not great, it's a hyperthreading dual core with 2ghz base speed. I think it will struggle but might be worth a shot?

Are you still using a laptop? You won't really be able to upgrade to anything that will play arma3!

edit: as far as I'm aware, after doing 5 minutes research the absolute fastest processor you can physically fit into the motherboard socket with the same 35w TDP is a Phenom II N970 which is a 2.2ghz quad core, if you push the TDP up to 45w (which risks then burning out the powersupply and/or motherboard if it's not been designed to run it) you could theoretically fit a Phenom II X940 BE which is a 2.4ghz quad core. Note that the laptop versions of the phenom processors do not have any turbo functionality or L3 cache which is probably why it performs so badly.

You will not be able to play arma3 on your laptop, upgrade or not!

i don't think on a laptop arma 3 isn't playable, on some server i have 20/25 fps, so with the first CPU you mentioned How will i play? And with the second one?

Edited by TrapMacker

Comparing multiplayer fps is not a good indicator of performance, I was playing cti last night, at times I had 70fps, at others I had 25; on average it was around 45. Multiplayer fps is limited by the server fps so some will give more than others.

Go to the steam workshop and subscribe to the altis benchmark, run that through and play with settings till you get the highest average fps. That then gives you a baseline on which to judge your computer's performance. I get around 62fps average with a combination of high and very high settings with a 3.5km view distance.

Comparing multiplayer fps is not a good indicator of performance, I was playing cti last night, at times I had 70fps, at others I had 25; on average it was around 45. Multiplayer fps is limited by the server fps so some will give more than others.

Go to the steam workshop and subscribe to the altis benchmark, run that through and play with settings till you get the highest average fps. That then gives you a baseline on which to judge your computer's performance. I get around 62fps average with a combination of high and very high settings with a 3.5km view distance.

Can you tell me some COOP server that has High fps please? When i came home i will do what you said and i will tell you. On multiplayer i get 5/10/20 fps depending on the server with the lowest settings

You will have to play on each server and find ones that give you good performance, I honestly don't think you'll be getting playable fps even if you do upgrade the cpu; the low clock speed and lack of L3 cache are going to affect things pretty badly.

i7-4510U GT730M

Geesh, a capped TDP CPU combined with a (decent) dedicated graphics chip? What's wrong with that manufacturer?

Phenom II X940 BE

As the corresponding model was never sold with anything but the N930 and the N950, no other CPU is gonna work.

So i'm asking here because i wish you could suggest me some CPU with the characteristics i've just listed.

The best upgrade available for your system is a Phenom II N950 - a meager 100 MHz on top.

--

What you want is not gonna work with this notebook - not now, not tomorrow and not in ten years.

Hi Guys,

i want to buy Arma 3, its a nice game but I´m not sure if my pc could run it?

Windows 7 Extreme 64 Bit Version

Amd Phenom 9850 Quad Core Processor (4 Cpus) 2.5 Ghz

Geforce GTX 550 TI

4 GB Ram.

How is Arma 3 working on your Pc´s.

Thank you for your time.

Hi Guys,

i want to buy Arma 3, its a nice game but I´m not sure if my pc could run it?

Windows 7 Extreme 64 Bit Version

Amd Phenom 9850 Quad Core Processor (4 Cpus) 2.5 Ghz

Geforce GTX 550 TI

4 GB Ram.

How is Arma 3 working on your Pc´s.

Thank you for your time.

You just scrape in on the recommended specs, but don't expect to have massive view distances or high settings. You'll be running it on mid-low settings with view distance and object draw distance turned way down.

What about tweaks?

Could tweaks increase my fps?

Has a low view distance an influence on the game fun ?

Unfortunately tweaks aren't really going to help you (if they even help anyone!).

In my experience low view distance will only really affect gameplay in the air, generally most ground based contacts are within a couple of hundred metres. Obviously sniping may cause issues but the game doesn't revolve around sniping.

If you can overclock your processor it should help things, I believe the gains from overclocking AMD processors is slightly lower than those from overclocking intel but still worth doing.

I am still not sure if I buy this game. Can I run the game playable? With 30 fps at standard settings?

---------- Post added at 20:37 ---------- Previous post was at 20:33 ----------

I don't know how to overclock my processor. I heared that overclocking is risky and dangerous.

Unfortunately tweaks aren't really going to help you (if they even help anyone!).

In my experience low view distance will only really affect gameplay in the air, generally most ground based contacts are within a couple of hundred metres. Obviously sniping may cause issues but the game doesn't revolve around sniping.

If you can overclock your processor it should help things, I believe the gains from overclocking AMD processors is slightly lower than those from overclocking intel but still worth doing.

Overclocked AMD chips still perform horrible in ArmA 3...even at 4.5-5GHz.

Hi, i want to buy a new dedicated grafich card to play arma3, it has to be compatibile with an AMD CPU, so what grafich card do you suggest me to play arma 3? What is the best for it?

Edited by TrapMacker

I am still not sure if I buy this game. Can I run the game playable? With 30 fps at standard settings?

---------- Post added at 20:37 ---------- Previous post was at 20:33 ----------

I don't know how to overclock my processor. I heared that overclocking is risky and dangerous.

Overclocking isnt risky, only persons which have no clue about such things are the greatest risk to the Hardware. I do Overclocking since 15 years, never burned a single piece of my hardware since then.

A setup which would let you play Arma smoothly doesnt exist on earth. It doesnt matter if AMD/Intel or Nvidia/Radeon, Single/Multi GPU or CPU with 4/6/8 Cores.

Armas Engine is spitting on the Hardware we use. You want 30 frames contantly? Could be hard^^

I actually use an Intel 4690K with ~5Ghz and 2x970GTX in Sli, mostly i am below 35 fps on Ultra, depends on the mission of course