Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

I've considered overclocking my CPU, but does it really have that great of an effect?

Yes - at least for Arma.

As forteh said, overclocking your CPU is the only feasable option besides going i7.

-Processor: AMD Phenom II N930 Quad-Core Processor 2.00 GHz

That's your bottleneck - Arma3 has bad multithreading and is CPU intensive.

Just forget about (enjoyable) Arma3 multiplayer on notebooks with anything bar a i7-49xxM - it's just not gonna work.

i gave to the game 7500 GB of ram

That's doing exactly nothing in the best case.

Unfortunately the cpu just isn't man enough to run the game well, arma3 requires the fastest single core performance you can achieve - a 2.8ghz sandybridge i5 is the recommended cpu which is a good deal faster than your mobile phenom :(

Realistically arma doesn't start running really well until you get to 4+ghz intel quad core.

The best options you can alter to attempt to make the game playable would be to set view and object distance to minimum, object detail to minimum, shadows to high or above (below this setting the cpu handles them rather than the gpu) and all post process, pip, ambient occlusion turned off. I still wouldn't hold out too much hope unfortunately, I started playing arma3 on an i3 530 @ 4.6ghz and sometimes it was unplayable, switching to an i5 750 @ 4.2ghz more than doubled the framerates and further upgrading to an i5 2500k @ 4.7 has added another 20-30% fps.

edit: added to the above, the mobility 5650 isn't going to cut it; referencing toms hardware gpu heirachy it's well below the minimum 8800gt.

So if i upgrade my processor can i get 40/50 fps with high grafich settings? If no, What processor can give me 40/50+ fps with High/ultra grafich settings? name some processor that can do this please :)

Edited by TrapMacker

As you're using a laptop I don't think you'll be able to do it, realistically you need an intel quadcore and to be able to overclock it as much as possible - this requires a lot of cooling and a decent power supply which is the realms of a desktop machine not a laptop. To get 40/50 fps on single player on high settings you would need to be looking at an i5 k series cpu with a gtx660 minimum, overclock the cpu to 4ghz+ and the gpu will be able to work properly without a massive bottleneck from the cpu.

I have a 4.7ghz i5 2500k and a 2gb gtx660, on high/very high settings I get between 30 and 80 fps single player, multiplayer is between 20-50 fps depending on server. No matter what super high spec your machine is fps in multiplayer is limited by the fps of the server so when it gets hectic it can quite often drop down into the 20s.

For around £3-400 you should be able to pick up the second hand components to build an i5 2500k setup with a gtx660 and 8gb ram, once overclocked this will provide about the most economical machine to play arma3.

As you're using a laptop I don't think you'll be able to do it, realistically you need an intel quadcore and to be able to overclock it as much as possible - this requires a lot of cooling and a decent power supply which is the realms of a desktop machine not a laptop. To get 40/50 fps on single player on high settings you would need to be looking at an i5 k series cpu with a gtx660 minimum, overclock the cpu to 4ghz+ and the gpu will be able to work properly without a massive bottleneck from the cpu.

I have a 4.7ghz i5 2500k and a 2gb gtx660, on high/very high settings I get between 30 and 80 fps single player, multiplayer is between 20-50 fps depending on server. No matter what super high spec your machine is fps in multiplayer is limited by the fps of the server so when it gets hectic it can quite often drop down into the 20s.

For around £3-400 you should be able to pick up the second hand components to build an i5 2500k setup with a gtx660 and 8gb ram, once overclocked this will provide about the most economical machine to play arma3.

i don't play in singleplayer i like the multiplayer, no the way, of i buy the officiale recomandend CPU (recon andre by the bohemia in the recomandend sleva to run the game) what fps can i get with my other pc specs and high grafichs options?

---------- Post added at 06:57 ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 ----------

my videocard too degreese the fps?

---------- Post added at 07:05 ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 ----------

i can't spend so much money, with 100€ max 150€ can i obetin?

Unfortunately upgrading your laptop (if it is even possible to do so) is going to be a waste of money and will never give you the fps you want :(

I'm afraid that you will have to save up some extra money and buy/build a new machine to play arma multiplayer.

My minimum budget recommendation would be for a first generation i5 and a suitable motherboard to overclock it, you can buy an i5 750 for around £40 from eBay. I overclocked mine to 4.2ghz using a gigabyte ga-h55m-ud2h which you can probably find for around £40 on eBay; I believe that the p55 chipset boards also overclocked well.

You will need to get a decent air cooler if you're intending to overclock to this level though, I use a thermalright truespirit 140bw. There are some very good guides on how to overclock the core i5 750 cpus and 3.8-4ghz should be fairly easy to get.

For the gpu an nvidia gtx650ti would probably be the best bet although if you can stretch for a gtx660ti or a gtx670 it will allow you to increase the graphics quality. At a pinch something like an old gtx260 core 216 can play arma3 but will be struggling at higher resolution and settings compared to the gtx6xx series.

You will need to get some ram as well, 8gb of 1600mhz ddr3 will be fine. Super fast ram has been shown to increase performance in arma3 but it comes at increased cost.

On top of all of the above you will need a decent quality power supply of around 500w in order to overclock. If you have a look at www.overclockers.co.uk for examples of decent power supply brands and you might be able to buy one second hand for cheap. You will also need a case and hard disk!

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the above will play arma3 infinitely better than your laptop ever will. I would expect around 40-50 fps in multiplayer when it's not busy but in firefights this will drop down to 20-30 fps depending on the server.

---------- Post added at 09:02 ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 ----------

i'm not very practise in this computer specs, can you list me ALL the things i have to buy and the price please? Is this CPU on my computer http://www.amazon.com/AMD-HDZ940XCGIBOX-Phenom-Edition-Processor/dp/B001NFT2RI good for the game?

Edited by TrapMacker

i can't spend so much money, with 100€ max 150€ can i obetin?

Doesn't work - there's no sufficently powerful CPU for the S1 socket (even if it were, you'd run into huge thermal problems).

Not what I'd call good, but definitely way better than your current one. Since that CPU is for a different socket, you'd need a new mainboard and a new graphics card too (+PSU/Case and possibly RAM).

You can't upgrade your laptop to play arma3, you're going to have too build or buy a new machine. I wouldn't use an amd cpu for the build because Intel processors give better performance in arma3.

Base your choices on what I posted above and ignore the recommended hardware specifications for the game.

You can't upgrade your laptop to play arma3, you're going to have too build or buy a new machine. I wouldn't use an amd cpu for the build because Intel processors give better performance in arma3.

Base your choices on what I posted above and ignore the recommended hardware specifications for the game.

can you list me ALL the things, with the names, that i have to buy and the price please?

Bear in mind that most of this is no longer made so will be second hand from ebay.

If you can find a bundle of motherboard and processor on ebay it will simplify things, here are some possibilities: -

Asus P7P55D with i5 760 - Will probably sell for around £90-£120

Asus P7H55M with i5 750 - £110 buy it now on ebay

Otherwise you will need to buy the parts seperately and put them together yourself. It would be a very good idea to read some guides and watch some videos on how to assembly computers.

Processor:

Intel i5 750 or Intel i5 760 - Around £40-50 on ebay

Heatsink:

Thermalright true spirit 140bw - £38 - I use one of these and it is a very good cpu cooler

Motherboard:

Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H - Around £40-50 on ebay

Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L - £80 buy it now on ebay

Ram:

8GB (2x4GB sticks) 1600mhz (pc12800) DDR3 - £50 buy it now on ebay

Graphics card:

Nvidia GTX650ti - £60 buy it now on ebay

Nvidia GTX650ti boost - £75 buy it now on ebay

Nvidia GTX660 - £80 buy it now on ebay

Nvidia GTX660ti - £95 buy it now on ebay

Nvidia GTX670 - £110 buy it now on ebay

In addition to all of that you will need a power supply, something like this should be fine: -

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-010-EA&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=2463

or

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-235-AN&groupid=701&catid=123

You will also need an atx case, dvd drive and hard disk if you don't already have them.

edit: note that the items I have linked to are on the UK ebay site, you should search for items that are local to you to otherwise postage costs could get very expensive.

thankyou very very Much for the CPU do i have to upgrade it to 4 GHz? with this component can i reach 30/40/50 fps with high settins?

The i5 750 overclocks very well and most will reach 4ghz without much of a problem as long as you can keep the heat under control. Even with the base speed of 2.67ghz it will be a lot faster than your current amd mobility processor when coupled to a gtx6xx gpu.

Overclocking isn't difficult once you know how to do it, however it can take time and patience. I used this guide when I overclocked my i5 750 and achieved 4.2ghz, it laid out all the basic prinicples and tells you how to get the best stable overclock you can.

Before I upgraded my machine I had an i5 750 @ 4.2ghz, gtx660 with 16gb ram and would usually see around 30-50 fps on 90man king of the hill servers when not in the thick of the fighting, this would drop down to around 20-30 fps in the city fights however this happens to just about everyone because the server fps limits the clients fps.

It will be better than your cpu now, however when it gets up to around 4ghz it will be a lot faster!

They overclock so easily that it's silly not to do so :)

I don't think it will run arma3 very well and for €500 you could probably build/buy an i5 2500k machine that will actually play arma with decent frame rates.

[...] is it good?

Definitely not - costs way too much for what's inside.

((That exact build would cost you ~410€ off amazon.it, compared to the ~530€ syspack.com charges.))

--

If you intend to enjoy Arma3 (multiplayer) on a machine just forget about any and all rigs that do not have either a i5 or a i7 (unless you know what you're doing).

They overclock so easily that it's silly not to do so

Technically it's still shortening their lifespan.

Technically it's still shortening their lifespan.

Yes it does, but keep it within sensible voltage levels and you're looking at a 10 year life span instead of 12. The hardware would be long obsolete and likely upgraded by then :)

Yup that's good for arma, but it can't be overclocked so you're limiting yourself immediately by not buying a K series processor.

Honestly if you're looking to spend that amount of money on a single component then you would be better getting an i5 2500k and spending the left over on a faster gpu. For £250 you can get the i5 , a decent motherboard to overclock it with and a gtx660ti/670!

That's a better system than the other one you posted, however that cpu cannot be overclocked and you will still need to add a decent graphics card to play arma3.

Don't be scared of building your own computer, it's like building Lego and there is more than enough information in google to learn how to do it :)

That's a better system than the other one you posted, however that cpu cannot be overclocked and you will still need to add a decent graphics card to play arma3.

Don't be scared of building your own computer, it's like building Lego and there is more than enough information in google to learn how to do it :)

In terms of cost, you'll save money by buying the components seperately. You'll also often find that while a particular pre-built system has a good CPU, the GFX card tends to be rubbish, or systems with a good CPU or GPU will have crap storage. Manufacturers want you to buy components too so on top of the £1000 you may drop on a system thats only mid-spec, you end up forking out another £300 for a reasonably good GFX card. All in all you could probably source components and build it yourself for around £750 for a mid-range PC, less if you already have a reasonable rig you can salvage for parts. Note: Figures used are approximations and used for example only.

i looking at buying this custom pc setup....will this be good enough to play arma on ultra settings ???

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz 6x Core CPU

Gigabyte S2011-3 ATX GA-X99-Gaming 5 Motherboard

DDR4 16GB (4x4G) 2400MHz Kingston HyperX Predator RAM

NVIDIA GTX970 4GB MSI OC PCIe Gaming Video Card

Once you've overclocked the cpu it will allow the gpu to breathe properly and return decent fps, it will still be dragging it's heels in multiplayer though.