Placebo

Will-my-pc-run-Arma3? What cpu/gpu to get? What settings? What system specifications?

I don't think that changing your video card will make a huge difference over a year in overall cost compared to running your servers

A gtx 970 uses 100w less than your 7970.

In a household two, things eat your electricity. An electric shower and a dryer.

Well, I live in a 4 man apartment for college students so the power is split between 4 rooms and counted as a whole. So, yeah I am sure the appliances are the big thing. A 970 would be tempting if it was less than or roughly equal to $200.

Well in idle it shouldn't eat any more power than any other card generally. If you're using your GPU a lot like gaming then GTX 970 could save you some electricity. Otherwise you need to downgrade back to GTX 760. You could also try pretty high downclocking when you're not gaming and load your normal clocks everytime you start gaming. Could be possible to achieve something with MSI Afterburner for example or just with CCC.

And when thinking about Arma, there likely isn't that much difference in GPU wattage because it's more about the CPU and downgrading could make even bigger power consumption because the lower end GPU is working harder!

Then you could downclock your CPU so it won't rise over some low clocks unless you need it. Not sure if there are some real profiles for that. I guess you've some power saving already on the CPU so it ramps up the volts and clocks from 1.0v and 1.6GHz to needed volts and 3,9GHz ?

But likely that won't save you much in a year and it's more about the server running 24/7.

Well in idle it shouldn't eat any more power than any other card generally. If you're using your GPU a lot like gaming then GTX 970 could save you some electricity. Otherwise you need to downgrade back to GTX 760. You could also try pretty high downclocking when you're not gaming and load your normal clocks everytime you start gaming. Could be possible to achieve something with MSI Afterburner for example or just with CCC.

And when thinking about Arma, there likely isn't that much difference in GPU wattage because it's more about the CPU and downgrading could make even bigger power consumption because the lower end GPU is working harder!

Then you could downclock your CPU so it won't rise over some low clocks unless you need it. Not sure if there are some real profiles for that. I guess you've some power saving already on the CPU so it ramps up the volts and clocks from 1.0v and 1.6GHz to needed volts and 3,9GHz ?

But likely that won't save you much in a year and it's more about the server running 24/7.

Well, I just moved my web server to a Digital Ocean droplet. The media server does not run 24/7. It is just when people need to use it. I am driving a 27" panel so that might have something to do with this but I am guessing it is the washer and dryer. I still have an overall goal of downsizing my rig to a Mini-ITX build. Then, maybe build a second one that is a mini-ITX running an AM1 proc specifically to use as a headless media/file server.

Put it this way Ive got the following,

cpu: AMD FX 8350 - overclocked to 4.5Ghz

motherboard : ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0

ram : GSKILL 16GB 1800MHZ

gfx : CROSSFIRE ASUS 280X 3GB

psu: THERMALTAKE 1000w

hdd: 3x M5 SSD in RAID 0 for my games to run off.

and it runs like a pile of garbage in Arma 3

Okay so in December i said i was going to get a gaming PC and this is what i decided i was going to buy on Cyber Power. will this run ARMA 3 on ultra setting and let m know what i should do but i most likely will not be changing anything due to price and budget.

PLEASE HELP

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 6MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology

HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/2133MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG V3)

MOTHERBOARD: * GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX w/ Ultra Durable 4 Classic, On/Off Charge, GbLAN, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 2 PCI

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

VIDEO: AMD Radeon R7 250 2GB GDDR3 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (Single Card)

Look into cpu-benchmarks of arma2/arma3 and find AFTER you look into it the right descision? A intel 4690k and a cheap 100 Euro mainboard are enough, then overclock it to 4,5 GHZ and be happy with arma3. AMD is NOT the right decision for arma3. A glimpse into the hardware related threads here...

Look into cpu-benchmarks of arma2/arma3 and find AFTER you look into it the right descision? A intel 4690k and a cheap 100 Euro mainboard are enough, then overclock it to 4,5 GHZ and be happy with arma3. AMD is NOT the right decision for arma3. A glimpse into the hardware related threads here...

I am only willing to spend around $750 on the build and i noticed that most of your build is pretty expensive so that is a no-go on that.

---------- Post added at 20:15 ---------- Previous post was at 18:48 ----------

This build is a bit more pricey but it matches what i wanted, what do you guys think for just ARMA 3 and DAYZ gaming?

$880

ASUS G20AJ-US023S Desktop

Intel Core i5-4460 Processor 3.2 GHz( cache)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 graphics

8GB DDR3; 1TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive, 8 GB Solid State Drive

Windows 8.1

This build is a bit more pricey but it matches what i wanted, what do you guys think for just ARMA 3 and DAYZ gaming?

$880

ASUS G20AJ-US023S Desktop

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 graphics

8GB DDR3; 1TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive, 8 GB Solid State Drive

Windows 8.1

You need a intel with the ability of overclocking (better minimum fps) and a SSD (less stuttering) for arma3 to get good results. If you have windows7 you don´t need windows 8. You will get zero performance gain with a new windows version.

the ssd is important for arma3.

A decent RAID5 *will* surpass these cheap consumer SSDs, as do some expensive enterprise HDDs. Just considering gaming, a Samsung 840 still remains the most cost effective option though.

1TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive, 8 GB Solid State Drive

Geesh, hybrid drives are still around?

Go for a dedicated HDD and a dedicated SSD instead - that's like 20$ difference and way better.

As Hubert suggested, aim for a unlocked CPU if overclocking is a option for you.

Overclocking is not necessary to run Arma 3 at decent settings, but it's the equivalent of investing 70-100$ more in your CPU.

I have a strong feeling that my i7 4770k combined with my 7970GHz card are eating power like crazy.

Unless you've turned the power saving options off, there's nothing to be optimized while still remaining on the x86-64 platform. ((mainboard and PSU can make a minor difference though, but nowhere near enough to alert your landlord))

I love AMD and their GPUs but unless the 300 series is super power efficient, I may have to switch sides.

Unless your 24/7 usage eats tons of GPU power, nVidia is actually the worse option.

Well guys i decided to go with the ASUS ROG G20AJ for $880. the specs are pretty good : ) thanks for all of the help and when i get on ill be looking for some realism unit's please hit me up i would love to join!

here are my pc specs

Intel Core i5 4460 (3.2GHz)

8GB DDR3 1TB HDD 8GB SSD

Windows 8.1 64-Bit

No Screen

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 2 GB

thanks again to al of those that helped me out!

:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

Intel Core i7-4790k 4GHz

Asus Maximus VII Hero ATX LAG1150

Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-2133

Seagate Barracuda 1TB

MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V

Corsair CW600W 80+ B Cert SM ATX Power Supply

Not currently overclocking so no cooler.

SSD will come shortly

2133 RAM because of the gains people have seen.

What do you guys think about this build for a friend who is looking at getting into ARMA coming over from consoles?

Seems solid to be, I assume 8GB ram is enough for the time-being, I was more concerned about good speed and latency (9 CAS) than actual amount.

Just got my computer built and she is running pretty fast.

Here's the setup:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz

GPU: Sapphire R9 290X 4GB TRI-X OC Version

PSU: Corsair CX Series 750 Watt

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler

RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB @ 1866MHz

Motherboard: MSI Z97 GAMING 7

SSD: Samsung XP941 256GB (M.2 Port)

HDD: WD Black 2TB

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series Black 450D

Seems solid to be, I assume 8GB ram is enough for the time-being, [...]

8GB can get a bit crowded sometimes, but are perfectly fine unless your friend wants other stuff running while ingame.

MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V

Just be sure you've informed yourself abut the 3.5+0.5GB problem the 970 has. The last 512MB VRAM are basically useless for anything but CUDA.

[...] latency (9 CAS) [...]

That's probably ~1-3 frames these days, depending on game and setup.

8GB can get a bit crowded sometimes, but are perfectly fine unless your friend wants other stuff running while ingame.

Just be sure you've informed yourself abut the 3.5+0.5GB problem the 970 has. The last 512MB VRAM are basically useless for anything but CUDA.

That's probably ~1-3 frames these days, depending on game and setup.

I guess so, think hes going for 16gb now anyway!

As for the GTX yeah I have informed him, 3.5GB still seems like a massive amount of video memory though so cant see this being an issue at all.

Could you expand on your point about the CAS? are you saying that it could save up to three frames choosing 9 instead of 10?

just wondering if these specs will run arma 3 or not and if they do at what setting do you think, thanks gents.

AMD Phenom X4 9500 (2.2Ghz) Processor, 4Gb DDR2 Ram, 1Tb WD Black Hard drive, 500Watt Power supply, 1Gb ddr3 GeForce 9800GT HDMI dedicated video card, 7.1 HD sound

I would say a pretty resounding no, it might run but would likely be unplayable :(

just wondering if these specs will run arma 3 or not and if they do at what setting do you think, thanks gents.

AMD Phenom X4 9500 (2.2Ghz) Processor, 4Gb DDR2 Ram, 1Tb WD Black Hard drive, 500Watt Power supply, 1Gb ddr3 GeForce 9800GT HDMI dedicated video card, 7.1 HD sound

That doesn't even meet the minimum system requirements. So, No, it's won't run the game in any usable way.

Could you expand on your point about the CAS? are you saying that it could save up to three frames choosing 9 instead of 10?

Basically, yes. For various reasons, memory latency is not what you want to focus on anymore.

As for the GTX yeah I have informed him, 3.5GB still seems like a massive amount of video memory though so cant see this being an issue at all.

Unless you're thinking about gaming in resolutions above 1920x1200 (either by using a larger monitor, multiple monitors or supersampling), you're perfectly fine.

GeForce 9800GT

No DirectX11 support, no Arma 3. The rest of the system will run the game, though it's not gonna be in a acceptable state.

hey sorry guys got some more specs for you would this run arma3?

GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARD WITH CROSSFIRE/SLI COMPATBLE

4GB OF HIGH PERFORMANCE 1600 MHZ DDR3 RAM

G3258 DUALCORE PROCESSOR

GTX 750 DDR5 VIDEO CARD

HUGE COOLER MASTER SILENT PRO 850 WATT PSU

WINDOWS 7 64 BIT

Thanks again.